• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premieres on Sunday at 9:00 pm.

I have conflicted feelings about this, but I'll tune in. Rumor has it that Bourdain pitched The Layover to the Travel channel, they said yes, Bourdain got burned out with his own idea, the Travel Channel told him he could do just The Layover if he liked, and he went to CNN anyway. No Reservations was good, but he got too political for his own good, in my opinion. His best shows were always the ones where he went to a well known place, but refused to go to the touristy places that they're known for. His war torn Bono-esque shows were boring and showing people horrific areas of the world while simultaneously grubbing on their best dishes struck me as odd and misplaced. I'll still tune in for his Dr. House-like personality, but I have my reservations.

SummitAve

Banned
There are so many important societal factors that are directly influenced by politics that I see it as almost impossible to ignore when exploring communities and cuisines around the world.

You enjoying the off the beat places in well known locations sounds like a very touristy ideal. You can only do that show so many times.

There are so many important societal factors that are directly influenced by politics that I see it as almost impossible to ignore when exploring communities and cuisines around the world.

You enjoying the off the beat places in well known locations sounds like a very touristy ideal. You can only do that show so many times.

Yeah, but he totally risks becoming another Bono. A guy that thinks he is speaking for the impoverished and disenchanted, but actually disappeared up his ass long ago. The Layover was a fantastic show that was incredibly novel and I'm disappointed that he abandoned it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Jeeze it looks so amazing on my television.

Dat alien camera technology.

I like this policy talk actually.

I'll still tune in for his Dr. House-like personality, but I have my reservations.

image.php

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'll watch whatever he puts out since it's always so interesting and entertaining.

Also, how is not a giant fat man by now?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
He should have done a show with Zamir.

There is nothing better than Athony Bourdain and Zamir.

Christian

Great show. So many interruptions, way more than a typical episode of No Reservations, but I guess that's to be expected now that it's on CNN. But Bourdain is the best. I don't ever feel like he's putting on airs, and there's a genuine appreciate for the cultures and peoples he comes in contact with during his travels.

To be frank, he can expect similar behavior from CNN. Product integration is not below any network. It should be noted that The Travel Channel took a chance on this guy and the budget for his show increased every year he was there. I agree that the Cadillac commercial was bullshit, but Bourdain is not some sort of martyr. He's certainly not above doing some shitty reality television cooking contest show, for example. That makes me question his integrity more than anything.

He was the one that compromised his integrity in the first place by agreeing to the Chase credit card placement. That's all on him. Had he not agreed to do it, I can't imagine The Travel Channel trying to shoehorn his image into other things. I'm just being fair.

Nert

It's great to have him back. Having been to Koreatown myself a few months ago, I'm really curious to see how this next episode will turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom