• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do you want to see Zelda go after Breath of the Wild?

Move away from Mononoke and go more Nausicaa alien/toxic jungle. Kill the great Deku Tree to do this, I dunno.

wtkpOhp.jpg

And the big thing: CAVES. Knowing that every mountain or mountain-pass you see isn't just something to scale, but might potentially hold a labyrinth cave that you need to take a torch into. We've scaled the mountains, now let us enter the mountains.

I don't agree at all with the people saying make the game smaller either. I think you people are nuts. I love what they've done.

Pejo

I'm up for some new stuff, or a return to ALBW/ALttP style.

I just know two things that I don't want:

- Destructible Weapons
- Motion/Stylus Controls

As long it doesn't contain those two things, I'm happy.

I am LOVING what this game has thrown at me so far, and I hope that Nintendo builds on this direction. However, there are a few ideas that I would love to see in future LOZ entries:

I wish the sidequests drew more inspiration from Link's Awakening, rather than Ocarina Of Time. That is to say that I wish they were more like the Item Trade and Secret Seashells than Gold Skulltulas. There were 26 seashells, but you needed 20 to complete that part of the game, and the reward made it worth the player's while. The Item Trade opened new possibilities in the game. I don't really want to collect 100 or 900 of anything as a sidequest, because that can become too much "filler", but with the seashells, there were just enough to make it fun, and not too much to make it feel a chore. This sentiment is all the more understandable, when one compares the rewards for 100 Gold Skulltulas VS the Secret Seashells.

For Me, 7 or 8 dungeons is the sweet spot - Minish Cap always felt one or 2 short of handheld perfection. I would've liked to see some of the shrine ideas combined to make one dungeon, rather than over 100. For me, anything less than 7 or 8 feels a little short. On that note - Remember at E3 2014, when Aonuma talked about defined exits in previous games!? Defined dungeon entrances is another convention which could be broken. Imagine the ground opening under your feet and falling into a trap, which turned out to be an underground dungeon, or under a town (in sewers, or a labyrinthine castle/mansion basement). If it was a trap, you didn't go through the entrance - Instead, your objective would be to explore, and ultimately, escape. So, it would be a "reverse dungeon". The Guardian could be waiting for you at the way out, or you could face it in multiple areas before that point.

Caves!! A Link To The Past had them. Link's Awakening used them as Moblin hideouts and mazes leading to Eagle's Tower and Turtle Rock.. I feel that shrine ideas could be integrated here, too, instead of having hundreds all over the place.

More Cities/Towns/Villages!! Poorer areas, richer areas, differences in lifestyle, technology, nightlife, town events (for example, carnivals, circuses, festivals, etc.).

I also hope that motion control support returns as an option. After playing LOZ: Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess on the Wii, I feel that "Press A for swordplay" can be a step back.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'd like to see a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild that does only a few things:

1) Smaller, more focused open world. Little less "stuff" to do. I mean, are 900 korok seeds and 120 shrines really necessary?

2) Why not let Zelda be the one to save Link? I think that could be cool.

3) Get rid of breaking weapons

I'd like to see a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild that does only a few things:

1) Smaller, more focused open world. Little less "stuff" to do. I mean, are 900 korok seeds and 120 shrines really necessary?

2) Why not let Zelda be the one to save Link? I think that could be cool.

3) Get rid of breaking weapons

I don't actually mind breaking weapons - It adds new dimensions to the gameplay and challenge. Rather than get rid, I would get around that by having blacksmiths in the villages to repair/modify/add durability to them, and having collectable elements which would make certain weapons unbreakable, or a Fairy Fountain where you could get the unbreakable weapon ability.

Rather save the Kingdom of Hyrule. LOZ is inspired by fairy tales, and the clash between the forces of Good and Evil is a prevalent theme there. Playable Zelda would be a neat idea, for sure. I just feel that she would have to be a lot more, because a palette swap wouldn't cut it. She deserves better. Perhaps her Hyrule Warriors move set would be a great start, as it's very impressive.

zenspider

Honestly nowhere. Just tweak this formula here and there and milk it for 13 years ala OoT and let Aonuma do some garage projects.

If they want to continue deconstructing Zelda, I'd be fine with that too.

I enjoyed the more or less self contained mini stories in BOTW such as Tarrey Town quest (and bringing two lovers together), the Gerudo main quest line with yiga clan mission and Riju, etc.

Id like to see them expand on this idea of OPTIONAL self contained mini stories which not only reward exploration but greatly increase the immersion into the world.

Iron boots! Underwater!

Move away from Mononoke and go more Nausicaa alien/toxic jungle. Kill the great Deku Tree to do this, I dunno.

wtkpOhp.jpg

And the big thing: CAVES. Knowing that every mountain or mountain-pass you see isn't just something to scale, but might potentially hold a labyrinth cave that you need to take a torch into. We've scaled the mountains, now let us enter the mountains.

I don't agree at all with the people saying make the game smaller either. I think you people are nuts. I love what they've done.

Love all this.

Spinluck

Bosses are too easy? That can be said for nearly any Zelda game. Overall, I'd say this one was probably the most difficult.

I don't think Nintendo ever wanted to "stick" with one art style.

The only reason why BOTW looks like this is because their consoles probably can't handle that realistic style with open world.

Even if that's the case, I vastly prefer this to photorealism.

watershed

Banned
I wnat a 2d Zelda on the Switch (which Aonuma already kind of hinted at) set in a new map (not like ALBW's reusing of ALTTP's map) that keeps the freedom of BOTW and ALBW but also explores breaking or reinterpreting other Zelda convention. I want to series to stay fresh by trying new things while continuing to embrace player freedom. But I don't think Link needs to climb in 2d. I'm fine with walls being walls again.

I don't think Nintendo ever wanted to "stick" with one art style.

The only reason why BOTW looks like this is because their consoles probably can't handle that realistic style with open world.

Correct on the first part. However, the bolded part is false. The GameCube was more powerful than the Dreamcast and PS2. LOZ: Wind Waker wasn't a slight on its hardware capacity. "Photorealism" is just one of many "art styles", too. So, that approach wouldn't require more power. Case in point? You can see more impressive photorealistic art than any console can achieve from people on Art Academy: Sketchbook Other case in point? Xenoblade Chronicles X - that game is equally ambitious in scale, it is open world, it displays GamePad content at the same time, and you have huge monsters and mechs. It adopts a more photorealistic approach to its visual presentation... and that's on the Wii U, which is less powerful than the Switch. Then you have other elements. It isn't just the open world. It's the scale of physics-driven gameplay, enemy intelligence. All of these things. Even the horses and wildlife are afforded enough intelligence to dodge oncoming obstacles, follow a route and jump rubble on a bridge of their own volition (i.e., without requiring the player to press a button to perform that action). You can even adopt outside-the-box approaches to puzzles - On Twitter, somebody used a chain of random objects instead of the piece that would complete a puzzle. All of those are underappreciated uses of hardware capacity.

LOZ hasn't ever been about photorealism, and Nintendo's approach to realism in this series has never been in the visual presentation. It was in the examples I listed above, and small touches, such as Link changing his stance when an enemy is close to him. Miyamoto once suggested that the development team went horse riding to get an idea of horseback gameplay - That was for LOZ: Twilight Princess. So, the approach is very different. For the visual presentation, it's a design choice, and it has been for quite a while. With Ocarina Of Time, it was a question of realising a 3D space, then making the characters look familiar enough. The transition to 3D was enough of a graphical advancement. Majora's Mask was always seen as an entry born out of Ocarina Of Time, so, it is natural that it would keep a similar look. Wind Waker uses cel-shading - At this point, they've overcome the challenge of realising the series in 3D spaces. While Twilight Princess is often considered to have more "realistic" visuals, Nintendo has explicitly stated that the development team had no desire to pursue such a direction - Instead, the team hoped to create something more atmospheric. Skyward Sword saw another element introduced, and this coincides with Hidemaro Fujibayashi's first directorial role in a 3D LOZ title - Visual presentation inspired by various art periods and movements; In this case, it was Impressionism. Breath Of The Wild is inspired by gouache paintings. The next LOZ will most probably continue in the same spirit.

I will never understand those who wish for photorealistic graphics in the LOZ series. These games would lose any charm they have, and would be infinitely poorer for it. Try imagining a photorealistic Goron, or Zora, or Wind Fish, or Moblin. LOZ: Breath Of The Wild thrives because it didn't only break conventions of the LOZ series, it challenged conventions of what constitutes an open-world title. It doesn't try to be a cinematic story. It holds tight onto the famous Iwata quote from his "Heart Of A Gamer" speech, that "Making games look more photorealistic isn't the only means of imroving the gameplay experience". It is unapologetically a video game, and celebrates the fact. To reinforce that idea, Nintendo even made a point of showing how LOZ very much returned to its NES roots, first with Aonuma's reveal trailer at E3 2014, then during Treehouse Presentations at last year's E3, and finally at this past Game Developers' Conference.

More story. More dungeons. More runes. More tools from previous Zelda games. Ability to sail a boat like in Wind Waker to explore a true 'sea'. Id be happy.

MoonFrog

wtkpOhp.jpg

Nausicaa is where they should go with Metroid though...God I'd love a new classic Metroid with that sort of anime art style. 2D or 3D.

And yeah, spot on with caves. Not just to fill in the world, but because classic Zelda caves with rewards like, say, pieces of heart or secret items really give you a reason to pursue the combat.

rhandino

Banned
Floating Continent!!!

Make a game in which Link explores a bunch of floating islands... so basically apply Breath of the Wild exploration elements into the Sky overworld of Skyward Sword.

While BotW is a 10/10 for me and probably my favorite game of all time, a few minor quibbles:

- The music is fantastic when it's there, but I wish it had a bit more time to shine throughout the journey. I know music can't be blaring throughout the entire open world but I think there is some room for improvement

- uhhh

- hmm

- More fun mini games with decent payouts/rewards! Snow bowling was the shit at first but I wish I had a bit more variety when farming rupees through mini games.

- 60 FPS and 1080p+ would be complete and total bliss. Mostly a technical quip, but dropping to 20 fps and screen stuttering can affect my gameplay (and take a little bit of my soul along with it)

But this game is so close to perfection that I can't even fathom Nintendo topping it with their next entry to the series.

Top Bottom