• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "return" of Final Fantasy X (PS3, VITA) still in early sevelopment stages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Source: http://www.ff-type0.net/

Yoshinor Kitase sat down for an interview with German Magazine M Games and has revealed that the title is still in early stages of developement, also saying that he would like the "remake" to have the same quality as the original.

Given the slow development time and the last words of Kitase, can we start to assume that this is indeed a full remake of Final Fantasy X?

It will be enough for me if they remade the characters models only, that's alone will sell me the game.

But seriously I can't wait now for the first trailer.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It won't be a remake. FFX already looks so good, so I doubt they'll do anything significant. It should release next year most probably.

I thought the date was mid 2012? How can it still be in early dev? Or did I get the date wrong?
Remaster takes 6-8 months usually. Not much work.

Takao

Banned
This has probably more to do with them wanting to see Vita's market situation than anything else.

How does this make any sense? It's on 2 platforms. If the Vita version bombs big whoop, they'll make their money on PS3 then.

TheChaos

I hope this means they will add substantial new content, like new areas, bosses, weapons, etc. Probably not, though.

I thought the date was mid 2012? How can it still be in early dev? Or did I get the date wrong?

The release date is probably more affected by the Vita's health than the actual production schedule. Considering that SE's been pushing pretty hard to get things released on time as of late, I don't see this being delayed too badly internally.

Takao

Banned
The release date is probably more affected by the Vita's health than the actual production schedule.

The thing has been out for 2 weeks, and this game is multi-platform. Vita's health ain't got nothing to do with it. This is the same company that spends 5 years making a single PSP game. Their crappy management has more to do with it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it was due in 2012? How could it be in early development?

And what else is he going to say? "With this remake we're hoping to aim a little bit lower this time around and make an inferior product?"

Cels

as long as we get the stuff from the International release that I missed out on (being an American and all) I'll be happy

Shepard

How does this make any sense? It's on 2 platforms. If the Vita version bombs big whoop, they'll make their money on PS3 then.

But designing "a full remake" for the Vita when you're only going to make money on the PS3 isn't a good choice, it would just dumb the game down and probably hurt ps3 sales too.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The release date is probably more affected by the Vita's health than the actual production schedule. Considering that SE's been pushing pretty hard to get things released on time as of late, I don't see this being delayed too badly internally.
They're most probably betting on the PS3 version. Sales from Vita should be a bonus to them, so it won't be delayed due to the Vita.

areal

But designing "a full remake" for the Vita when you're only going to make money on the PS3 isn't a good choice, it would just dumb the game down and probably hurt ps3 sales too.
Huh? Vita has quickly reached scapegoat status.

I think they'll give the game the same treatment Ocarina of Time got for its 3DS release. Quite a bit more oomph than a simple HD port, but not a full remake à la REmake.

Cheska

I really don't think FFX needs to be remade at all, just give us a port so I can play one of my favorite Final Fantasy titles on the go!

Ravage

This has probably more to do with them wanting to see Vita's market situation than anything else.

It will sell alot more on the PS3 regardless of Vita's performance.

Back on topic, i'm guessing that there will be substantial new content with a small visual upgrade.

Takao

Banned

A) Where has anyone involved in Final Fantasy said this was designed primarily for Vita? It's a PS2 game that's largely believed to just be getting a HD makeover, and not a full on remake.

B) Square Enix of all publishers would know Sony hardware as of late has a rough opening. They supported both the PS3 and PSP with that rough start. They know things eventually do get better.

C) This interview with Kitase came from a print magazine, which likely means the actual interview happened prior to Vita even being released. Even if it happened after, the thing's been out for 2 weeks.

Vita's health has absolutely nothing to do with this. I think Square Enix being Square Enix has more to do with it.

Bukana

I hope it's September,2012.
I will buy both version, and hopefully, we can share the same save files, otherwise I am gonna buy the Vita version.

kadotsu

Banned
If it's just a porting what's the sense of saying "I'd like for it to have the same quality of the original"? And also, why still in early dev. stages?

16:9 doesn't do itself. Lets hope they don't do the bare minimum. I would like re-sampled menus, original voice track, and a re-balanced Yojinbo.

They're most probably betting on the PS3 version. Sales from Vita should be a bonus to them, so it won't be delayed due to the Vita.

Well, I would think that a short delay to wait for the Vita userbase to develop would be preferable, so that they can maximize their sales potential on both systems.

Then again, considering the current state of the franchise, I suppose it is in SE's best interest to just push this thing out as quickly as they can.

This is the same company that is still making Versus XIII. This is just normal procedure for craping out effortless HD ports for Square.

Shepard

Huh? Vita has reached scapegoat status.

I'm talking somethings out of my ass as I don't have that much of knowledge about the Vita, but I was under the impression that it can't quite achieve PS3 technical level (graphics, disk space...). The game has to be created with one platform in mind: if it's the ps3, they'll downport it for Vita (wich would probably make the Vita version worst), if they do it with Vita in mind and then up-port it to PS3, the game wouldn't be as full-realised as it could have been, get it? But don't need to take me so seriously, it's just something I thought :\

fernoca

Probably part of the translation, who knows. Plus I remember the game been 4:3 (and the CG movies too); so they're probably tweaking some aspects and retouching thers in order to fit a 16:9/HD display.

We'll see..soon...maybe? :p

As forgettable as some of the game was, FFX's battle system was butter smooth. And let's not forget the sphere grids. I'm down for a replay.

sublimit

Banned
I was already more than happy with just an HD port.
But if they are going to do a full Remake of the original then sweet mother of God... i think i'll die from excitement overdose!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
If it's just a porting what's the sense of saying things like "I'd like for it to have the same quality of the original"?
The base product looks great, so they can easily get it running on PS3 and Vita at a good graphical fidelity with minimal enhancements. I see no point in them spending so much resources for a full blown "remake". I guess we need more information like whether they will redesign some levels or considerably change the textures. Looks unlikely though.

Ravage

Don't they have to remake FFV - FFIX first?

FFXII should come first because of 2 reasons.

1) There's the much improved International version which was never released here
2) XII already looks gorgeous and a simple HD treatment is all that's needed

Thoraxes

I would assume nothing. I think more and more it's going to be a remaster, not a remake. Chances are they have the higher-res pre-rendered backgrounds sitting somewhere, and those will just be put in.

You could take it being "the same quality as the original" to mean literally anything. They could make it the exact PS2 game with no changes at all and it would be the same quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom