• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU 2 prototype in development

That's interesting, as it meshes with something Antony Johnston, one of the writers on Zombi U said to me in a brief Twitter convo a few weeks back. I didn't know how to take it at the time - it could be read as a hint either way - but if there's a team at work on prototyping for a sequel...

Untitled-1.jpg

Ashler

Oh... Yes please. ZombiU is still the best game on the wiiU thus far!

No punchline regarding the number of games on the WiiU here!!!

gngf123

Sorry if old, searched and didn't see anything.

A little update, apparently a prototype for ZombiU 2 is in the works and the team is working hard on it.
Comes from a creative director at Ubisoft Montpellier.
https://twitter.com/Bignozjip/status/333120913832816640

Could we see more at E3? Seems a little too soon.

Yeah, I think that is too soon. I don't think Nintendo or Ubisoft would be interested in showing off extremely early prototype footage anyway, since it will probably take another year or two until it would actually be a reasonably finished product.

Maybe E3 2014.

So basically a semi-official announcement for a Zombii U sequel? Sounds good, give me more reasons to buy a Wii U. And don't keep the shitty name.

It really is such a good game, sadly I just need to be in the right frame of mind to play it! I've had it since launch and I'm only just outside the Palace.

Hurley

This is great news, now that they have had experience with developing for the Wii U they can improve upon the original and deliver a fantastic sequel.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So basically a semi-official announcement for a Zombii U sequel? Sounds good, give me more reasons to buy a Wii U. And don't keep the shitty name.

Mmm, not really. I'm sure the team would love to do a sequel, but I'm guessing they're not much beyond the stage of pitching a prototype to Ubisoft and seeing how they go. Prototype would generally be considered a demonstration of ideas, not actual production of a fully greenlit title.

Still, if a sequel does happen, I expect the Wii U exclusivity to end, unless Nintendo has a say in the project that keeps it there. I think we'd see a Wii U version, but I can imagine Ubisoft would want to spread a greenlit sequel across multiple platforms, not one middling in the market.

If it does get greenlit I hope they keep the core formula intact, and just expand on the Metroidvania premise. Don't make it easier, as it was already plenty easy enough for a comfortable player. The game has a Metroidvania structure, expand it just like the likes of Super did over Metroid. Don't streamline. Don't appeal to the masses when you're sitting on one of the most legitimate survival horror designs around. The ideas are already great. Grow them, not stifle or change.

And for the love of fuck don't set it in bloody America.

EDIT: And for what it's worth, ZombiU is still my favourite game on the system, and of my best picks of 2012.

Try and get it out bug free this time, not that I've had any problems with the game just don't want to keep reading people moaning on t'interwebs constantly about it

SmokyDave

Mmm, not really. I'm sure the team would love to do a sequel, but I'm guessing they're not much beyond the stage of pitching a prototype to Ubisoft and seeing how they go. Prototype would generally be considered a demonstration of ideas, not actual production of a fully greenlit title.

Still, if a sequel does happen, I expect the Wii U exclusivity to end, unless Nintendo has a say in the project that keeps it there. I think we'd see a Wii U version, but I can imagine Ubisoft would want to spread a greenlit sequel across multiple platforms, not one middling in the market.

If it does get greenlit I hope they keep the core formula intact, and just expand on the Metroidvania premise. Don't make it easier, as it was already plenty easy enough for a comfortable player. The game has a Metroidvania structure, expand it just like the likes of Super did over Metroid. Don't streamline. Don't appeal to the masses when you're sitting on one of the most legitimate survival horror designs around. The ideas are already great. Grow them, not stifle or change.

And for the love of fuck don't set it in bloody America.
Surely not. I pray they understand how integral the location was to the game. Please don't transplant it elsewhere. If they must, then have people moving out of London and into the surrounding areas.

I can't see it being multiplatform, though I certainly wouldn't complain if it was.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I never played Zombi U because of mixed reactions to this game when it was originally released, but since i'm looking for more games to play, i wonder if i should. Is it still 60$?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But Zombie U was designed around two screens.. it wouldn't be the same game on one screen.

sure it would. having an inventory screen obscuring most of your view and not pause the game would be pretty close to what they have now - minecraft does that and you can easily get creepers sneaking up on you when you aren't paying attention.

or oculus rift support on the PC and you have to look down to check your backpack etc. Although I might actually shit myself in that case.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I caved in and bought the original for £20 with free delievery from Amazon.co.uk. (org. £25 - but minus tax since I'm abroad).

When even SmokeyDave says something Nintendo-related is good, I figured it's probably worth checking it out. ;)

Fuck yes, please!
ZombiU was a REALLY good launch title for the Wii U. It wasn't perfect, but it was still REALLY good.

I would buy a sequel day fucking one.

gamingeek

Loved the first, don't understand some of the bad reviews.

I want more melee options and one use projectiles like spears. The game needs a bigger budget, they really need more artists to add detail, the filters and lighting only do so much. And once you complete it I would like them to add a mode with more aggresive AI, different enemy types and more ammo so you could replay the game set up as an aggresive FPS once you've done the usual survival horror mode.

Online co-op could be interesting too.

Rehynn

It would also be awesome if Zombi U did indeed end up as the Red Steel of the Wii U.

...in that the sequel would be as big an improvement as RS2 was.

sure it would. having an inventory screen obscuring most of your view and not pause the game would be pretty close to what they have now - minecraft does that and you can easily get creepers sneaking up on you when you aren't paying attention.

or oculus rift support on the PC and you have to look down to check your backpack etc. Although I might actually shit myself in that case.

How about the full range scanning? Maybe a picture-in-picture sort of thing so you can still see your character?

Didn't Ubi say ZombiU would come to PS360 at some point?

No?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Surely not. I pray they understand how integral the location was to the game. Please don't transplant it elsewhere. If they must, then have people moving out of London and into the surrounding areas.

I can't see it being multiplatform, though I certainly wouldn't complain if it was.

I'd love to see it stay in the UK, but I'd be down for it spreading to other European nations. I just don't want it set in the US, which is such a tiresome setting for zombie anything. Works for some stories, but not for this. I need my 28 Days Later sim.

Multiplatform mostly due to the kind of middling talk about ZombiU's exclusivity coupled with the Wii U's market penetration. But you never know. Red Steel 2 was exclusive.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'd love to see it stay in the UK, but I'd be down for it spreading to other European nations. I just don't want it set in the US, which is such a tiresome setting for zombie anything. Works for some stories, but not for this. I need my 28 Days Later sim.

Multiplatform mostly due to the kind of middling talk about ZombiU's exclusivity coupled with the Wii U's market penetration. But you never know. Red Steel 2 was exclusive.

Italy with a level set in Venise.

That would be NUTS!

Top Bottom