• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: For Honor campaign is always online.

prudislav

It happens far more often that their servers doesn`t work.
yep it Ubisoft their servers are down quite ofter..... blows my mind how fast people forgot fiascos like Simcity or AC2 :-(
Or even Adam Orth's dear online only Xbox one .... damn you millenials :-(

Can't wait for the Ghost Recon Wildlands to have the same "Internet required" sticker.
iirc they said its playable offline just last month ... but who knows if they will change their minds again like in For Hodor
Yoi can actually play Hitman offline from beginning to end. Big difference.
withou challenges and actually uncloking anything (but they at least now save the online progress ofline) ... its something.jpg...

On the other other hand... this game is really unique, probably the best melee combat coming from a western developer since Arkham ...and that combat isn't good in the long run. I want to see this system take off so developers would stop using the lazy Batman system.
so glad i played technical alpha and does not think this anymore ... the game is pretty much retarded stepchild of musou formula, Ryse combat with small bits of souls combat with really bad fov

I can't really say much more right now, but I did get to go to a preview event for For Honor recently. There is a specific reason that the single-player and multiplayer are connected; a reason that the single-player needs to be tied to the network.
Many of you still won't think it's acceptable after you learn what's going on, and I'm sure it won't justify the decision in your eyes. Just letting you know it's because of a feature that I think is pretty cool.
Its still the same bullshit excuse like Hitman, NFS2015, Simcity or even diablo 3 ....aka... the datamining through the pseudosocial features and awesomesause like leaderboards or shared SP/MP profiles

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
What in the hell?

So if my internet connection doesnt work, i cant play?

Ubisoft just cost themselves a customer.

Damn shame. Based on the alpha, my pc can't handle the game. Was considering ps4 version for that reason, but as I don't have plus, guess I'm out.

farisr

Damn shame. Based on the alpha, my pc can't handle the game. Was considering ps4 version for that reason, but as I don't have plus, guess I'm out.
Well if you're not against online only, you'll be fine on a ps4. The campaign won't require plus. Just an online connection to PSN and their servers.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Imagine in 4 years when the servers will go offline and some poor sap finds this game in the bargain bin thinking he'll get a fun single player campaign only to find out ubisoft slapping him across the face with their *****.

gtfo with this always online crap for singleplayer games, there is no excuse to justify this.
You seriously think the servers are going to go offline in 4 years?

prudislav

In before someone says Siege is always online.
itd not , training mode an LAN matches work without problems offline , even thoh they similarly lied abou TerrorHunt

Why such a big outcry? Who here on Gaf was actually going to play this game not connected to the internet?
Have you ever actually played anything Ubisoft in MP ??? Their servers are down more often then not (at least from point of view of european with a fulltime job). Also their servers are attrocious even when they are working

so glad i played technical alpha and does not think this anymore ... the game is pretty much retarded stepchild of musou formula, Ryse combat with small bits of souls combat with really bad fov

That doesn't sound convincing when I know for a fact it's neither like Ryse, or Souls, or a Musou game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I understand, but why should you skip a game that you'll love now for the off chance you might wanna play it 10 years down the line but can't?

A better question is why would anyone buy something for full price if they can't even control when they can play it at their leisure?

These kinds of things should be reserved for F2P initiatives

But instead we have "pay up front, we get to control your playtime and we can eff you over with DLC eventually anyway"

prudislav

Member Darkspore???????
Expired.png

admartian

Well that's me out.

The Crew would be one of my most played games if it weren't for that. Nothing more annoying than you just screwing around or in a big race and not being able to place it on rest mode without losing progress.

I was also interested in Steep. No buy for me either.

*sigh*

atr0cious

, Ryse combat with small bits of souls combat
The online only sucks enough, you don't need to make things up. Just want to say this makes no sense, and really doesn't describe the game system at all. It's more metal gear rising meets souls with a tdm musuo mode. If you were playing it like ryse, might be why you didn't like it.

prudislav

That doesn't sound convincing when I know for a fact it's neither like Ryse, or Souls, or a Musou game.
i guess thats why it felt to me .... was greatly dissapointed and now i am to lazy (i am pretty sure i wrote my impressions somewher back then)...the MP maps are pretty much domination with musou-like randombly placed onehitkill mobs..... locking on from souls and attroutious cinematic camera and fov in combat

crinale

I think publishers are trying to put "lifetime" of games, so whenever they want to disable a game they can, even if the game is single player.
If this becomes a norm then ppl with "wait and see" approach will definitely have shorter time they can play their purchased game

Sad thing is many industries are trying to do the same thing, to some extent.

meppi

I don't blame em, piracy is a pain and they do what they think is best. I just never understand people that complain about this. Don't buy the game and get something else. If electricity goes out and you are the type that freaks out i mean cmon just go outside get some air. If your travelling just do something else. This is the world we live in now, things are going online all the time. I was a diablo 3 addict, when power went out i did something else.

More likely than not, pirates will be playing the game and having it patched to work offline anyway.
So they are getting a superior version compared to the saps that buy into this BS.

The whole electricity argument is silly at best and at worst, well....

Vexii

Working in retail, I can't wait to recount the responses I'll receive from customers every time I assume them that this Single Player game will require an internet connection at all times.

And then I will say "yeah. I know. I wouldn't bother, to be honest."

Because seriously.

Ferrio

Banned
A better question is why would anyone buy something for full price if they can't even control when they can play it at their leisure?

Because they like the game? I mean ya if someone doesn't have a net connection 90% of their time that's understandable. I just find it odd people who skip out on a game they really would enjoy because there's some remote chance they might wanna play it in 10 years. I wish I had that sorta future predicting powers.

Vexii

If electricity goes out and you are the type that freaks out i mean cmon just go outside get some air.

If the electricity goes out, I wouldn't be able to play ANYTHING. Because the electricity is out.

Do people not think before they argue these days or is it suddenly cool to be flippant? 😕

prudislav

It's more metal gear rising meets souls with a tdm musuo mode. If you were playing it like ryse, might be why you didn't like it.
as i said above the Ryse feeling is from FoV and camera close up whilein combat not actual gameplay (its little bit more complex than that)

but still saying its like MGRS is pretty much the same exaggeratiion(negtivelly disappointed) like mine but in opposite (possitively hyped) direction and kinda offesive to MGRR'sm combat

Wensih

Wow I couldn't even stomach through that game when it was first released, you're dedicated I'll give ya that.

There's a good chance that's already a possibility to my collection due to disc rot.

As much as I like collecting, I've realized that my "oh I'll play this 10 years down the line" never happens even for games I adore but maybe that's me.

People who buy it digitally or buy it 10 years will be affected in the same way as someone who bought a physical copy 10 years ago.

SURGEdude

There's a good chance that's already a possibility to my collection due to disc rot.

As much as I like collecting, I've realized that my "oh I'll play this 10 years down the line" never happens even for games I adore but maybe that's me.

I've actually found if you store disc based games in normal household environments only a small handful of my few hundred games have gone bad due to media failure.

I actually didn't really intend my comment about new and shiny to be an insult, just a point that some gamers are interested only in what's new. For them to not realize how people who do value older games feel and try and make it about our daily internet connection strikes me as either intentionally obtuse.

I still play RE1 and MGS1 every few years. I don't have to hope the servers stay up or buy a remaster or upgrade to enjoy them.

Knew it was only a matter of time before they announced something that would serve as the asterisk placed next to For Honor's name. An Ubisoft game that appealed to me actually existing was indeed too good to be true. Unless the game in question is an MMO or something to that effect, there is simply no defense as to why always-online is necessary that I can accept. No Honor.

farisr

I just never understand people that complain about this. Don't buy the game and get something else.
You don't understand why people would voice their concerns about things they don't like? Did you like, miss the beginning of this generation or something? Of course people are going to criticize things they don't like and let others know who may have similar concerns about it, prompting them to voice their concerns as well. It's the only real avenue that consumers have to properly bring something to a developer/publisher/company's attention. If that specific game/product in question doesn't get fixed, then you can bet that at least one or more competitors are listening.

Hitman just had a patch that allows unlocks to be used offline. While they still have some work to do (allowing unlocks to be earned offline) it's a good first step, that wouldn't have happened without people voicing their concerns over and over again.

MartyStu

Fuck that noise, I am out. Might pick it up on PC in a few years when someone cracks it.

I already can barely stomach the practice from Blizzard, I will definitely not play any part in encouraging another studio trying to normalize it.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm probably not buying this now. Though, to be fair, this is also the first that I'm learning just how focused on MP this game was going to be, which probably would have prevented me from buying it once it came out and I learned about it (I was never going to pick this up day 1). I was initially interested because I read somewhere that some of the people who worked on Red Steel 2 were working on this, which is like the one non-Rayman Ubisoft game I've liked in the past 10 years.

Artdayne

as i said above the Ryse feeling is from FoV and camera close up whilein combat not actual gameplay (its little bit more complex than that)

but still saying its like MGRS is pretty much the same exaggeratiion(negtivelly disappointed) like mine but in opposite (possitively hyped) direction and kinda offesive to MGRR'sm combat

For Honor's combat seems a lot more complex than MGSR to me. It's definitely FAR more complex than Ryse. I'm thinking you didn't put much time into the game if you think it's only a little bit more complex than Ryse.

Ferrio

Banned
Hitman just had a patch that allows unlocks to be used offline. While they still have some work to do (allowing unlocks to be earned offline) it's a good first step, that wouldn't have happened without people voicing their concerns over and over again.

Hitman is a different beast though right? We're comparing to a game that was classically single player only to a game that was designed to be an online multiplayer game.

I mean if this was Beyond Good and Evil 2 I'd be grabbing a pitchfork too.

Dubz

Why do people care so much? Honest question. I mean yeah it's weird but I would hardly categorize this as an "outrage".

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Imagine the outcry if From made a Souls game, but just 'forgot' to add in the offline only option and then tried to argue "well we need it to be always online because PVP and seeing messages means it has to be always online!"

farisr

Hitman is a different beast though right? We're comparing to a game that was classically single player only to a game that was designed to be an online multiplayer game.
No, this was a game that had repeated emphasis on it having a significant single player campaign that's playable offline with local splitscreen as well, rather than just a online multiplayer focused game. They had already gone back on their splitscreen promise. And this news just marks another promise they're going back on.

atr0cious

Have you played any game you're talking about? Rising has blade mode, which is how you fight other players in for honor. For honor is also stamina based, and while there are combos and finishers, each is unique to its class, and executed in a different way. Ryse is a xxy combo game with flashy finishers via qte.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Why do people care so much? Honest question. I mean yeah it's weird but I would hardly categorize this as an "outrage".

Maybe because we want to play our single player campaign without having to deal with forced online crap? Maybe because the game is at the mercy of a Ubisoft server? In my opinion you don`t own anything you buy, and always online offers so much less value to something.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
So if hypothetically my internet were to go down for whatever reason I wouldn't be able to play the single player portion of the game?

Why would this even be implemented?

atr0cious

Maybe because we want to play our single player campaign without having to deal with forced online crap? Maybe because the game is at the mercy of a Ubisoft server? In my opinion you don`t own anything you buy, and always online offers so much less value to something.
On top of this, Uplay is shit, not it's not steam shit, but literally guaranteed to be down multiple times a month which means you don't play shit. But it sucks, because the game is a blast to play.

Gamezone

Gold Member
So if hypothetically my internet were to go down for whatever reason I wouldn't be able to play the single player portion of the game?

Why would this even be implemented?

Just like they did with Steep for no reason.

Steep can be played alone without PS+ or Xbox Gold, but you have to stay connected. I hope this isn`t something Ubisoft is doing with every upcoming titles.

farisr

If your internet goes down, if PSN/XBL goes down, if their servers go down, or if for some reason everything's up and you're still having problems connecting to their server (like I was in the Alpha), yup, you won't be able to play the campaign.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Let's be real. 99% of you guys are going to buy this tape on sale for $40 or less, then trade it in after a few weeks.

This game also always needs power. What happens during a power outage?

Adam Orth has too many accounts.

Top Bottom