• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Macronix: We will provide memory products for NX

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On January 28, 2016, at 02:00 p.m. Taiwan Time, Macronix International Co., Ltd. held its Fourth Quarter 2015 Results conference call. In it, Macronix's president Dr. CY Lu talked a bit about the company's business regarding Nintendo's upcoming system codenamed "NX". A few Taiwanese sites have reported on this. Here is a translation by Jim_Cacher, greatly appreciated:

Prestigious Japanese videogame console maker Nintendo will launch a new console called NX this year. General Manager of Macronix, CY Lu, said Macronix will provide products for NX and that Macronix has considerable expectations to NX.

In the afternoon, Macronix had held an online conference for investors. As Nintendo is going to launch new console NX this year, investors concern about if Macronix, which have a long-term cooperative relationship with Nintendo, is still part of NX's supply chain.

CY Lu said Macronix will supply memory slots for NX, and that the company has considerable expectation to NX.

Even though CY Lu declined to comment whether the supplied products are ROM, he said he expects ROM sales this year will be exceptional.

Here is the original machine translation:

Japanese video game maker Nintendo will launch this year a new machine NX, Macronix (2337), general manager CY LU said Macronix will provide products to NX, NX and considerable expectations.

Macronix online Investor Conference held in the afternoon, legal attention, Nintendo will launch a new machine this year NX, has many years of partnership with Nintendo is still in the column NX Macronix supply chains.

CY Lu said, Macronix will be provided to the memory slots NX, NX and considerable internal expectations.

Although CY Lu would not say whether the supply NX products for the read-only memory (ROM), but, he said, looking forward to this year's performance can be a meteoric rise ROM.
Source: https://tw.stock.yahoo.com/news_content/url/d/a/20160128/任天堂新機nx-旺宏搶進供應鏈-075857540.html

The source of the article is the webcast of the conference call: http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/v6hr6gku

The audio quality is horrendous, and it's both in English and Mandarin (mostly in Mandarin it seems), so finding the part where CY Lu talks about the NX was more or less impossible for me. However, slide 19 of 25, starting at 31:27 mentions "Key customer is planning a new generation platform", so maybe at that point there's some NX info. Otherwise it's in the Q&A.

macronix3fus7.png

Source: http://www.macronix.com/Lists/QuarterlyResults/Attachments/201/2015Q4 webcast PPT_en.pdf

That Macronix would be supplying products for the NX has been known for quite a while, but I think this could be the first time they comment on it.

I believe Macronix supplied some DSP and Mask ROM (?) for Wii U.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hmm, could be the hh, after all..

Good job, Rösti!

Rösti;193561136 said:
I believe Macronix supplied some DSP and Mask ROM for Wii U.
Mask ROM in the WiiU?..

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What the holy hell is going on today.

It's the start of fiscal report season, and most companies are expected to give some guidance on next year's financial expectations.

EA will have a call later today for example, but they're presumably not going to be talking about the system. Capcom reported earlier today as well.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think the bigger news is that we have more confirmation that the thing is launching in 2016

Exactly, I dont see any other particular pro or cons in they being the provider of the memory components themselves but maybe I'm wrong

ZOONAMI

If they want home console 3rd party support they sure as hell better not go with cartridges. Way more expensive than BD prints.

They better have bluray movie support too, otherwise when people comparison shop they'll go with PS4, unless NX is consistently at least $50 cheaper than PS4 throughout it's life cycle. Or if it's way more powerful at the same price they might still be able to win on value prop.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Doesn't this tell us anything beyond the fact that NX will ... use ROM memory? Because that in itself would not be particularly exciting. They'd need ROM for the most basic bootloader in any case.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, could be the hh, after all..

Good job, Rösti!

Mask ROM in the WiiU?..
Yeah, I don't actually know. I think I've read of some ROM in Wii U, but again I'm not sure.

Some form of cart is the only way I can imagine a sharred library using some form of physical media working between a handheld and a console.

Nintendo need to just come out and announce this thing already before everything is leaked. Show us the goods officially ffs

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I didn't get any info from this. Or did I miss something?
Japanese video game maker Nintendo will launch this year a new machine NX, Macronix (2337), general manager CY LU said Macronix will provide products to NX, NX and considerable expectations.

Macronix online Investor Conference held in the afternoon, legal attention, Nintendo will launch a new machine this year NX, has many years of partnership with Nintendo is still in the column NX Macronix supply chains.

CY Lu said, Macronix will be provided to the memory slots NX, NX and considerable internal expectations.

Although CY Lu would not say whether the supply NX products for the read-only memory (ROM), but, he said, looking forward to this year's performance can be a meteoric rise ROM.

This.

Neoxon

If they want home console 3rd party support they sure as hell better not go with cartridges. Way more expensive than BD prints.

They better have bluray movie support too, otherwise when people comparison shop they'll go with PS4, unless NX is consistently at least $50 cheaper than PS4 throughout it's life cycle. Or if it's way more powerful at the same price they might still be able to win on value prop.
But how else do you expect Nintendo to do shared physical games between form factors?

ZOONAMI

Yes please.

A gaffer (Terrell) wrote an interesting post about the subject (carts vs discs costs when factoring other things like shipping costs). Here, have fun reading it.

I fail to see how $3.91 per unit for cartridge is "within spitting distance" of $2.24 per unit for a BD.

Yeah, 50GB cartridges wouldn't be expensive at all.

Why 50GB cartridges though ? Its not like Nintendo games needs more than 25GB for the biggest one. 32GB is enough, and you can bet most will use 16GB or even 8GB.

3rd parties ? That ship has sailed a long ago.

Rodin

I fail to see how $3.91 per unit for cartridge is "within spitting distance" of $2.24 per unit for a BD.

If you have a cartridge that works on every NX system so that you don't have to manufacture/ship carts AND discs, it is.

I expect a digital only handheld, a la vita and cell phones. BDs for home console.

Having to carry around cartridges is a pain in the ass and doesn't make sense for a handheld form factor these days.

Not gonna happen.

ZOONAMI

But how else do you expect Nintendo to do shared physical games between form factors?

I expect a digital only handheld, a la vita and cell phones. BDs for home console. Edit: lol I forgot vita has physical releases, because I don't have a single physical title. They hardly even have them at retail.

Having to carry around cartridges is a pain in the ass and doesn't make sense for a handheld form factor these days.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Macronix's 3DS cards are nice but I don't see the costs working out for a home console. Will be interesting to see if this means anything for the game media.

I expect a digital only handheld, a la vita and cell phones. BDs for home console.

What? Vita is not digital-only.

Carrying around carts is not really a pain in the ass and a lot of us like having physical media.

Top Bottom