• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
Honestly so am that that's what you took from my post. It's honestly stupidly annoying how people on GAF overreact on this topic instead of holding a proper conversation.It's like people want to be outraged.

What I did say is when a developer starts trumpeting that their character is the "tick the boxes" strong female character that it goes over the top. It's like saying your game is an esports game before the game releases. Let the players determine if she is indeed a strong female character. I would equally be pissed if a developer gets up on a stage and starts talking about how awesome and kick ass this random new bald marine number 34232 is in their game.

Never said sexim was resolved in the gaming industry because sexism is much more than just a token lead character. But go ahead and infer from comment what you want.

I'm not overreacting and I'm not outraged. I'm underreacting actually given the seriousness of the issue. And maybe I should be outraged, but unfortunately this is so commonplace in gaming you start to become numb to it if you're not careful.

Now I don't really care to hear devs talk up their character either - I feel the same annoyance as you actually. But I fail to see why that is relevant. You are mildly annoyed for 10 seconds during a press conference about electronic toys. Why is that worth bringing up in the context of the real issue?

I think what lucha is annoyed by is the tokenism of it (though I do not know a thing about Doctor Who). Like it's the "Thor is now a woman!!!!" thing that Marvel did a couple of months back. Thor being a woman for a while is not diverse or progressive, having an awesome new female superhero with her own origin story, her own villains, her own convictions etc. That is what I'd classify as diverse and progressive.

Like if they made a Witcher 4 and Geralt was a woman because magic it'd be stupid. If they mdae Witcher 4 where you play as Ciri or say some new female character I'd be so damn hype.

I don't want established characters to suddenly change either. But given the premise of Dr Who I don't see why there wouldn't be a female doctor.

I think there's room for multiple viewpoints, and I do wish we could discuss without people getting heated or annoyed at one another. That said, I apologize for any part I might have played in derailing the thread, and I'm totally willing to move on to another topic.

I think there's room for multiple viewpoints, and I do wish we could discuss without people getting heated or annoyed at one another. That said, I apologize for any part I might have played in derailing the thread, and I'm totally willing to move on to another topic.
You are fine and my apologies for helping to make the conversation less than civil. It was probably was not the best idea to rant about it in this thread. I think it is a good discussion to have, here or anywhere.

Servbot24

Banned
On another topic... I started RE7 this weekend and I might be with Kyle on having to pass on games that are spooky. Dunno if I can take several hours of this stress :|

Fighting games are good - Tokido

Amazing top 8 of SF V. The game gets ragged on constantly but nothing delivers like a Street fighter top 8 for me.

And I'm ready to get back to the dojo ben!

Bahorel

On another topic... I started RE7 this weekend and I might be with Kyle on having to pass on games that are spooky. Dunno if I can take several hours of this stress :|

I know this sounds stupid but for me it helped to use a walkthrough? I would read a few sentences ahead in the walkthrough to prepare myself for what was coming next. I know it would defeat the purpose for some but man I hated surprise infected goop monsters so it helped for me to be told how many were about to come around the corner and I was able to finish the game without getting freaked out or anything. I also feel like RE7 gets a little less spooky once you get used to it. I was more disturbed by the environments than the threats running around. Old houses are upsetting enough by themselves lol

Maybe try streaming it? Having other people to chat with during might make it bearable, lol.

I say this as if I can play the game. This is the exact reason I haven't touched RE7. Too spooky for me.

Servbot24

Banned
I know this sounds stupid but for me it helped to use a walkthrough? I would read a few sentences ahead in the walkthrough to prepare myself for what was coming next. I know it would defeat the purpose for some but man I hated surprise infected goop monsters so it helped for me to be told how many were about to come around the corner and I was able to finish the game without getting freaked out or anything. I also feel like RE7 gets a little less spooky once you get used to it. I was more disturbed by the environments than the threats running around. Old houses are upsetting enough by themselves lol

Yeah the environment is the scary part... I quit Amnesia after half an hour just from walking around hallways, lol. Most horror games for me get easier to take once an actual threat that you can see appears.

RE7s not too bad, but I definitely found Alien Isolation too stressful. Every corner, shadow or air duct filled me with such bleak dread that I had to tap out.

Ultimadrago

Got a lot of discussion with Damiani and Brad on the latest podcast; I enjoyed it!

0z1yP0R.gif

Brad's never played Overwatch on consoles I assume? You can't report people and you can't give out orders to teammates (apart from group up and need healing).

And I really don't like the "just mute them" argument either. People being abused shouldn't be the ones that need to change.

Mista Koo

I really didn't want to touch this discussion, but I'm delightfully surprised by the majority's response. Well said.

Keep that way of thinking next time someone has strong feelings when others talk about his people/culture :)

Budi

Brad's never played Overwatch on consoles I assume? You can't report people and you can't give out orders to teammates (apart from group up and need healing).

And I really don't like the "just mute them" argument either. People being abused shouldn't be the ones that need to change.
To be fair, I thought the conclusion was that they think it's up to the developers to work for better enviroment. They need to throw money at this problem and look for solutions. The "just mute them" was advice given so the person could still play the game who asked this question. I agree that muting doesn't fix the problem (neither does quitting a game), but I really can't blame anyone who plays MP games muted. Atleast they didn't say "get a thicker skin", now that's bullshit that infuriates me when I hear it.

To my knowledge lack or reporting options is a problem on many console MP games? This is definitely something every dev should be doing, ofcourse for smaller games and devs the monitoring of these reports can be hard. But as Jones said about Riot and Blizzard "Boohoo".
Not the same thing but this reminded me of playing Fear back in the days, I started playing it very cautious, peeking behind corners, slow movement, my heart always jumped when I made a noise if I collided with enviroment and kicked a trash can or something. But quite fast the heavily scripted nature of the game took me really out of it and I started to play more "run & gun" style. As it didn't matter if I made the noise, it didn't matter if I tried to sneak around. Ofcourse there was no tension left anymore and the game kinda bored me so I stopped playing.

I remember the game looking good for it's time, but I never really played far enough to properly experience and notice the praised AI as I stopped few hours in.

luchadork

FWIW my post wasn't directed at Matt, Blood, you, or anyone. It was a general rant in response to the tone of some posts here. It's the same bullshit arguments that keep me from experiencing awesome LGBT chars in gaming. It's frustrating, it's tired. Sometimes people like me actually want to genuinely enjoy some games we can relate to.

FWIW i want to play more games with awesome LGBT characters too. and by more. i mean any. and not just an option to romance the edgy hot lesbian either. but some narrative game where you play as an ordinary gay man. the closest i can think of is bill's story in TLOU and one of the couples from the walking dead. but its really slim pickings beyond that. its actually pretty shocking come to think of it. but i guess good storytelling in games is only a relatively recent thing.

This is my last post on this subject, and I'm going to bow out of the thread a bit. Don't want to derail anymore.

FWIW i want to play more games with awesome LGBT characters too. and by more. i mean any. and not just an option to romance the edgy hot lesbian either. but some narrative game where you play as an ordinary gay man. the closest i can think of is bill's story in TLOU and one of the couples from the walking dead. but its really slim pickings beyond that. its actually pretty shocking come to think of it. but i guess good storytelling in games is only a relatively recent thing.
We're getting there. The past couple of gens have been a lot better with offering characters and experiences that go beyond typical demographics. It's been refreshing. Plus there's a few small indie devs that create games almost entirely catered to gay men. Though most of these sadly teeter more toward selling sex than providing engaging gameplay. It's better than nothing though.

As a gay guy, when a character is introduced in media to be gay, even with little to no backstory, depth, or other engaging storytelling, I still find the character intriguing. A lot of times you will see people cling to rather flat, dull, and boring characters solely because they fulfill a demographic. It's all we get sometimes. It's hard to find something personally relatable, and when people like myself get even a taste of it, we glorify it.

The best example I can give is the addition of same-sex relationships in SWTOR. They made a particular character, Theron Shan, a gay romance option. Bioware never writes very authentic romantic storylines, and Theron's arc is no different. But you damn well better believe I played those expansions just to see more of his character. Many of my gaymer friends that also played SWTOR did the same. We had little interest in the rest of the game.

I am sure similar thought processes occur across other underrepresented groups in media.

I am rambling a bit, but I hope it better explains why some people take these discussions rather personally, for better or worse.

Auctopus

I think the female Doctor Who and female "James Bond" are sort of different things. I don't watch much Doctor Who but from what I know, the Doctor can be pretty much anything it wants to be when it regenerates and I don't think having a female lead is going to require much added flexibility when it comes to writing stories. Unless they want to constantly acknowledge that the Doctor's new form is female, the stories that have been previously told in the show can easily be told with a female lead.

Unlike Doctor Who, Bond's aesthetics are established in Fleming's novels, he's more of a defined character than the Doctor. Additionally, as much as I enjoy some of the films, the franchise is steeped in misogynist tropes that (imo!) wouldn't suit a female lead. However, I am not saying that they shouldn't case a female lead, but I do believe making James Bond female or dubbing someone "Jane Bond" does appear a little forced.

Fortunately, I don't believe the film franchise has ever actually been released under the name "James Bond" but "007". So, a reboot of Bond (which feels a little necessary after the recent Craig outings) could easily cast a female 007, I'd welcome it too.

Ultimadrago

Huh, wasn't expecting a spotlight video of Damiani sharing his love for Super Mario 64. I didn't even remember that he called for more shortform content initially, even has a Q & A on the Soundcloud version.

Karu

Huh, wasn't expecting a spotlight video of Damiani sharing his love for Super Mario 64. I didn't even remember that he called for more shortform content initially, even has a Q & A on the Soundcloud version.
I have to admit I groaned a little (read: a lot) bit when I saw the topic, because...yeah. With the shorten length I may put it on anyway.

Budi

Thanks for the heads up! I'll check it right away, never too much love for Mario 64. My personal favorite Mario game.

emb

It's rough to get through. I started it off in VR, found myself constantly stopping and taking breathers in front of doors. Played super short sessions because I got so stressed out. EZA had a group stream where Kyle watches Huber play the whole game, it's pretty nice. Felt a little cathartic watching familiar faces run through the game after letting the game stress me out.

Gurrry

When are we getting the Brad/Huber stream of Fire Pro Wrestling? I want to see them mark out over this game. Its so damn good.

If you have to use the term "SJWs" in a negative manner to underscore your point/post, you might as well admit your arguments not worth much.

Same with "tokenism" in relation to a character like the Doctor whose stories have largely been gender neutral.

Naythan

Yo Dr. Who sucks anyway. I'm all for talking about female representation but can we at least take this Dr. Who shit elsewhere? It's so poorly written.

When are we getting the Brad/Huber stream of Fire Pro Wrestling? I want to see them mark out over this game. Its so damn good.
Huber says he's hesitant for the early access stuff

I'd hope they'd check it out beforehand and get a decent idea of controls before streaming though. If they just jump in they'll probably be lost lol

Damiani has improved a lot recently. He participates way more than he used to.

I like him more and more, but his thought process on creating content always feels weird. Like this completely unnecessary Mario 64 video, which looks like a perfect execution of possibly the worst possible idea for a gaming video. Does he understands that what we'd want from him is a new short-form sleuth series (pop fact style)?
I know it's hard and that it takes a lot of time and labour

Rockk

Finished the Megaman Legends stream. Glad Bosman finally figured out the circle strafing in Part 3 or 4. I also have similair thoughts to him regarding 1 vs 2. Exploring the singular town in 1 and having it all be interconnected in a fairly logical way is a lot more interesting. That's definitely one of the main reasons I prefer it at least.

And slowly making my way through the Mother 1 streams. Glad Blood's enjoying it since it's a lot more dated and grindy then Earthbound. Now we just have to wait for those Mother 3 streams and begin the last leg of the journey.

luchadork

I like him more and more, but his thought process on creating content always feels weird. Like this completely unnecessary Mario 64 video, which looks like a perfect execution of possibly the worst possible idea for a gaming video. Does he understands that what we'd want from him is a new short-form sleuth series (pop fact style)?
I know it's hard and that it takes a lot of time and labour

i prefer this shit to game sleuths tbh. perfectly executed editorial on classic nintendo games? yes please.

game sleuths seem like a relic of the past. something that can be covered in a reddit post and a youtube link of the actual gameplay.

funny how opinions work.

Maybe try streaming it? Having other people to chat with during might make it bearable, lol.

I say this as if I can play the game. This is the exact reason I haven't touched RE7. Too spooky for me.

I always anything horror related at all. I do not enjoy simulating such high stress/ frightening situations, and it's markedly more bearable with commentary.

Just finished this week's podcast and honestly, I'm not really sure about how I felt with the answer to the Overwatch question. I think the allies made some great points, but that their answer was kind of left incomplete without mentioning that certain groups get more targeted vitriol that others. It's kind of impossible to just accept abuse as just a freak part of the medium if it's a constant barrage directed at you personally.

I agree with the poster above who talked about how much they appreciated Ian and his articulate vocalization of some of the social justice issues within gaming culture. I dont always agree, but I appreciate the diversity in pov

I have a question... not sure if anybody knows.

But what was Brandon Jones first video review for GT? I'm trying to find it, but its harder than I thought. Any ideas?

I'm way late here but Ben's Falcom interview is fantastic

It starts off like your standard PR interview but really opens up and feels like an actual discussion rather than a regurgitation of bullet points

Community questions were a really good call

i prefer this shit to game sleuths tbh. perfectly executed editorial on classic nintendo games? yes please.

game sleuths seem like a relic of the past. something that can be covered in a reddit post and a youtube link of the actual gameplay.

funny how opinions work.
Hey, I said I like it, even if that's not my preferred content, and by the way, Damiani's work on pop fiction and game sleuth is much better than a Reddit post with a link to a YouTube video.
Jeez...

slash3584

@EasyAllies

We have been officially approved for our FIRST PAX WEST PANEL, with Kyle, Brandon, and Ian! Sunday, 9/3 at 12:30 PM. More details soon!

Palm greasing doing work!

Mista Koo

Unlike Doctor Who, Bond's aesthetics are established in Fleming's novels, he's more of a defined character than the Doctor. Additionally, as much as I enjoy some of the films, the franchise is steeped in misogynist tropes that (imo!) wouldn't suit a female lead. However, I am not saying that they shouldn't case a female lead, but I do believe making James Bond female or dubbing someone "Jane Bond" does appear a little forced.
I think they should just write a typical James Bond script and gender flip the casting of Bond and Bond girls :3

Dmax3901

I was talking to someone who was miffed at Idris' casting as that character in The Dark Tower, saying he was described as Clint Eastwood in the books. I was like eh whatever Idris is a great actor. But then as a thought experiment I pictured my favourite movie based on a book (LOTR) and envisioned a remake where, say, Aragorn was black and it was real tricky.

It's like sure why not, but then my mind goes well Tolkien was an ol english dude probably racist (like everyone was back then) and he created Middle-Earth probably without even thinking about people with dark skin, so in terms of staying true to his vision Aragorn wouldn't be black but at the same time this world has fucken Balrogs n shit so who cares?

I do agree there's a big difference between a female Who and female Bond. I wouldn't actually be upset if Jane Bond came out (would be worth it for the tantrums alone) but I'd rather an altogether new badass spy character who happens to be a woman.

Karu

Advertise the next Craig Bond like crazy. It is his final hurrah - THE event of the year. Old school Bond is back, he gets four Bond girls, it will be incredible.

Kill him unceremoniously in the first ten minutes. Make it a Moneypenny Movie. Done.

Mista Koo

I do agree there's a big difference between a female Who and female Bond. I wouldn't actually be upset if Jane Bond came out (would be worth it for the tantrums alone) but I'd rather an altogether new badass spy character who happens to be a woman.
Have you seen Spy? I thought it was great, the trailers were bad though. I would love for it to be a series.

Lexad

So excited for pax now. I have Saturday and Sunday tickets that my friend is getting from a coworker.

And podcast beyond (ign PlayStation podcast) is doing their celebration of 500 episodes up here too. Very happy Seattle it indeed.

This has been a good year to meet people on my podcasts I listen to.

I got to meet several of the voice actors and creator of the NoSleep Podcast' and I got to meet the McElroy brothers of MBMBAM and The Adventure Zone fame at their portland live show.

No I get to meet some of the allies and ign peeps too.

Lexad

I hope he is on frame trap next week to discuss the d2 beta. Definitely want to hear his thoughts.

I know destiny isn't as big with the EZA community but it probably one of my favorite video games that I have poured a lot of time into, more so than any other game I have played

Visceir

Take a shot every time Damiani says 64!

That friend code thing felt more like a last minute effort than anything else. It was just super rough and bad.

My suggestion would be to pre-record one or two podcast episodes that you can use during weeks when you can't be bothered or are unable to do the podcast.

Budi

Take a shot every time Damiani says 64!

That friend code thing felt more like a last minute effort than anything else. It was just super rough and bad.

My suggestion would be to pre-record one or two podcast episodes that you can use during weeks when you can't be bothered or are unable to do the podcast.
I agree in a sense that I was wishing it to be bit more in-depth. But as I said earlier, still enjoyed watching it. If it was a game I didn't love myself, I'd probably wouldn't have enjoyed the episode as much though.

I might have missed something, but is there any word about when the EZA Splatoon 2 review will drop now that the embargo is lifted? I'm excited to hear Blood's take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom