• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Origins - Hype Check

It just doesnt seem like an interesting environment to explore, too flat and repetitive. I'll pick it up next year at heavy discount, the combat still looks pretty bad and remains the worst part of the series by a long shot

I haven't played an AC game since 4, but if this game is good i'm going to be ALL IN on it. It's ticking every box for me. More RPG mechanics, ancient Egypt setting, Rome expansion, gorgeous.

I really, really hope it's good.

meh... It's the same old sh*t. Getting old... The quests are so repetitive.

Man, what are you talking about. Guess you've played the game and finished everything the, if you post this garbage.

I'm really excited, i love the setting, and everything i've seen looks great. Bummed i have a trip 4 days later though, so i might wait till i get back from that to start it.

Sanctuary

Zero for now, although I will most likely grab it at the end of next year when I build another new gaming PC to show off native 4K/60 + high/ultra settings. Gameplay wise, I don't expect much to have changed, but it still looks slightly more interesting than everything after AC2.

The game isn't going for a Dragon's Dogma feel at all

They never said that it was.

Muffdraul

That brings me to my question: why are AC and Wolfenstein also releasing on Friday? I know Nintendo tends to release on Fridays over Tuesdays but it seems like a lot of the bigger blockbusters this fall season are favoring Friday releases over the regular Tuesdays. Is there a reason for this change?

You reminded me of the day AC2 came out in 2009, I remember going to Toys R Us and picking up that and New Super Mario Bros Wii at the same time, and for all these years I thought they were released on the same day. But I just looked them up- NSMBWii was Sunday (how insane was that???) 11/15 and AC2 was Tuesday 11/17. I guess I was just lazy and didn't want to go to the shop twice in one week.

Nori Chan

I’m sad as hell I couldn’t get the dawn of the creed collectors edition for Xbox one. They sold out so quickly.

Willing to pay 200 for it if anybody on gaf is selling :(

That's the first expansion coming in 2018.

I know. What I meant is -- are we looking at a Unity case, where Arno used his Master Assassin robes on the DLC and the new ones he gets can be used on the main game or a AC3 case, where the wolf robes were only on the DLC?

In other words: Am I staring at a Master Assassin outfit you're probably using by the game's ending?

Canucked

I'm regular hyped for me. So not super hyped, I feel like I keep my hype always low for any game. But hyped enough to look forward to it.

Hypeish.

Freeman76

Bought them all. Every time I swear at myself as they drop in price so fast. Excited for this one BUT I AM WAITING!!!

Trago

How has the modern story progressed since AC3? That game's ending disappointed me so much that I dropped the series.

Not for me. The microtransactions bullshit appearing when you loot things is a total game breaker on immersion for me. If they had kept it in the menus fine but no. There was a picture showing the guy with a chest and it said or buy them with ingame credits. Fuck no! Just no.

mas8705

I'm honestly second guessing myself if I want to get this, Mario, or both at launch. Don't have deep pockets at the moment and I know that if I get one, I won't be playing the other anytime soon.

Still, my hype for Origins is definitely up there.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It just doesnt seem like an interesting environment to explore, too flat and repetitive.
How?

They never said that it was.
Which is why i'm confused about why someone would want that.

I know. What I meant is -- are we looking at a Unity case, where Arno used his Master Assassin robes on the DLC and the new ones he gets can be used on the main game or a AC3 case, where the wolf robes were only on the DLC?

In other words: Am I staring at a Master Assassin outfit you're probably using by the game's ending?
Not sure. It's Roman influenced and typically the recent dlcs are advertised with specific outfits. So no idea.

Sadly I have no hype for this. Syndicate was my favorite since 2. Loved the setting, loved the era, loved the choice of protagonists. Origins to me goes in a direction I didn't want, and the story isn't grabbing me, from everything I've seen. Egypt, I thought would be a bad pick but it looks like they did good on that front.

Fascinating.

AC is such a polarizing franchise. Everything you mentioned about Syndicate I hated lol. I rank Syndicate below AC3 and Unity.

NotBacon

Hopefully it's good as the Ezio trilogy. Although, my love for the trilogy might just be for renaissance Italy. If it's the same team that made Black Flag, it should be good.

Fascinating.

AC is such a polarizing franchise. Everything you mentioned about Syndicate I hated lol. I rank Syndicate below AC3 and Unity.
Ha, I feel the same. 3 and Brotherhood are my favorite AC games, followed by 2, the Chronicles Trilogy, and Revelations. Unity has an excellent setting, but it and Syndicate are just the worst games in the series IMO

Theorry

Not for me. The microtransactions bullshit appearing when you loot things is a total game breaker on immersion for me. If they had kept it in the menus fine but no. There was a picture showing the guy with a chest and it said or buy them with ingame credits. Fuck no! Just no.

Wich pic?

Crossing Eden

Ugh......AC:Origins doesn't have any loot boxes. It has a single merchant that has Heka chests, (magic), which give you a random item when you buy them with the in-game currency. Loot box "controversies" have been super grating lately due to how much misinformation has been spread.

Wich pic?
This one:
hGeka-tbSzaXv-HN_kpNyA.png

I'm really hyped, just gotta know how interesting the story is, which is hard because I want to go in as blind as possible so I'd rather avoid story trailers :I

I'm so pumped for this game but now I might hold off until after thanksgiving. (I attempted to start a thread on this but my measly status prevented that).

Here in the states the Holidays tend to bring some excellent game sales. As bad as I want Assassins Creed Origin on day one, I want to play it more on an Xbox One X than anything, but I probably won't pick one up until closer to Christmas.

Plus most retailers end up putting these new releases on sale for $35 or buy 2 get one free.

It's going to be hard to resist but I'm going to wait until Black Friday or closer to Christmas and pick this bad boy up with Forza 7 and Wolfenstein for a lower price. Too many good games this season.

Crossing Eden

That says nothing about "or buy"
I have something the feeling people want to see what they want to see haha.
They aren't buyable at all. They said specifically that those chests are for people who have an excess of in-game money like the other AC games.

Ha, I feel the same. 3 and Brotherhood are my favorite AC games, followed by 2, the Chronicles Trilogy, and Revelations. Unity has an excellent setting, but it and Syndicate are just the worst games in the series IMO

It's interesting that many of the new elements(combat, loot, RPG) are bringing in so many new player to the series. I feel like I'm the old guy yelling about "back in the day"

I think it's my time to bow out of AC :(

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Only game I'm going to get on the 27th. I've not been as hyped for an Assassin's Creed since Assassin's Creed II.

Unity2012

Assassins-Creed-Origins-1.png

Hyped! I love everything about that era. Having a game that allows us to play in Ancient Egypt as our deadly playground is exciting.
I haven't really seen anything to make me think it will be terrible at all.

Day one for me. Looking forward to play it on the X.

Wasn't really interested in AC before and now with the change to RPG mechanics, I still ain't interested even though some small RPG gameplay mechanics like loot, rarity, grind is my thing, I just still don't feel excited for this game. I may have missed some things but I was mostly turned off when I saw some stats on later gear where it's still just stat changes and nothing too different. There was a video of a high level area and straight combat didn't work but stealthing will so in some ways it's just like the original I guess?

Crumpo

Man, what are you talking about. Guess you've played the game and finished everything the, if you post this garbage.

So, genuine question-what is truly different this time around? I have watched some vids and other than the RPG-lite stuff, that is now required for every Ubi game, I haven't seen the hook for this AC game.

Hype is on hold until I see why this installment is worth picking up, and sufficiently original.

NKnight7

Neo Member
I'm excited for the game and I've been a fan of the series for a long time now, but with South Park coming out next week and then Wolfenstein the same day as AC, I'll probably wait. Maybe get it during the holidays, or wait for a good sale once all of the DLC is out.

Hype through the fucking roof baby! Hope it reviews really well. Have the deluxe edition pre-ordered and the wait can't get any longer.

Please have a good MD section!!

Tyaren

I'm interested in the game, but hyped? No. I'm staying cautious and I'll wait for reviews and player impressions first. The last two AC's that I played I wasn't a big fan of and Unity I didn't even finish. (Which is very rare for me, because if I pay 60-70€ for a game I usually finish it.)
What also makes me wary is the fact that no footage of any other console than the Xbox One X was shown so far. I realize they have a marketing deal, but no footage of the other versions at all, even shortly before release? :/ The X won't even be available when the game releases...

Top Bottom