• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

LaB_NL

Our night can be summed up thusly:

Mine like this:

jZjo3S8Rcz7y5_e.jpg

(http://i.minus.com/iZjo3S8Rcz7y5.jpg)

Erdem

Banned
Servers were acting really weird last night. Lots of desync and lag, I gave up after trying 8 servers in 30 minutes, they were all the same.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I think I'm done with this for a while. Last night was a slew of frustration and annoyance. After the server dumping me I logged back in bleeding and couldn't bandage myself up. Died. Then respawning I just got capped by players over and over and over again for 2 tins of beans, makarov ammo and bandages.

I might wait for the current rush of popularity to die down before returning, PvP is the least interesting aspect of this game yet it seems to be becoming more and more prevalent as time goes on. I don't want to say the removal of the bandit skin is the problem, as much as I would like to see it return, I just think this has gotten too big and in this current wave of popularity the PK'ers are coming out on top.

Lanbeast

I'm hoping to see a good price during the steam sale so that I can jump into this. I wouldn't mind dropping $40, but I'll have an easier time convincing my friends to jump in with me for cheaper.

Looks really fascinating.

There's a new update coming mid-to-late next week (this week). I wonder what we'll get :)

A fix to vehicles sending individual queries for each instance of damage taken is most likely. This is what's causing all of the desyncs. Why is our server doing better? A lot of the vehicles are gone.

Jibbed

Only a couple of hours into my new character and I already have so so much to lose:

[NVG's, GPS, fucking everything]

I found a GPS, Rangefinder, NVG, and Coyote Backpack on two dudes I killed in stary, poor bastards.

How in the..?

I've nearly put 100 hours in to this mod in the last month, and I've never seen NVG's or a GPS.

How in the..?

I've nearly put 100 hours in to this mod in the last month, and I've never seen NVG's or a GPS.

They're starting to show up a lot more even though the spawn rate hasn't changed. Not sure if it's hacking or if someone has figured out a way to game the system bad enough to get NVGs/GPS easily.

mik83kuu

Banned
I think people are just lucking out with the weapons crate spawns. I saw one of those crates in Cherno (it was empty) on the bottom of a huge factory/silo building. On top of that factory building there were two dudes: one with M240 and other with some insane sniper rifle. they were just blasting away.

I think people are just lucking out with the weapons crate spawns. I saw one of those crates in Cherno (it was empty) on the bottom of a huge factory/silo building. On top of that factory building there were two dudes: one with M240 and other with some insane sniper rifle. they were just blasting away.

I'm pretty sure weapon crates are not a natural spawn in the mod.

I need to find another GPS. It got stolen from my tent.

It was so useful for finding new sniper spots. Helped me be a more dynamic sniper.

Thanks to mob however I can be even more dynamic now.

WedgeX

Banned
idvekWjGjSm5n.png

i10jFgKjVCjkZ.png

iDlIbi7JJN8rs.png

The past few days have been filled with mechanics work. Scappers work, truly. Mob and Nix murdered while a convoy of gaffers attempted to join their repairs. Hours of driving. Navigating these towns, the ramparts and checkpoints of humanity's near final stand against shambling death now impeding our steps towards rebuilding. Gunfire warns me to stay at outskirts. Although I prefer straight through. Winding, weaving. At times these ramparts prove fatal, although it is our fellow man that offers more death than do the shamblers. In one small town, BS was forced to back up. But not before a red sedan pulled behind our truck. A man armed with an assault rifle and grenade launcher stepped out. Drizzle and I jumped, rifles at the ready. And as happens so often in this world, the world shifted and our vehicle was free, sitting in a field. I now behind a house rather than facing our assailant. Drizzle dead. I pledge to pursue, but BS cannot leave me behind. Later that night, BS would be torn limb from limb, twenty meters from the truck.

One morning, I stumble across a bus. Attempt to drive it towards the airfield. I am rebuffed, as Abby is lost to a sniper. I return the bus, Gibs and I without view of Abby's murderer. I rush the field, Gibs' plan in my head. Checking buildings, staying in cover. I shatter the windows of the tower. Watching the tree line. Gibs watching over all. The tower cleared. Abby and legacy, a victim of the post-plague world, lay dead before the tower, untouched.

Often I've wandered the north. Feasting upon animals. Staying watchful of my fellow man. Secluded.

Yet my fellow gaffers are who I'd prefer to join. So we are pursued by bandits. Shamblers. Men that shout traitor, spy. We seek parts, supplies. Struggle with killing in this world. Not wanting to fell a gaffer, shouting moreso than shooting. Heller described it far better than I can manage.

ii2NqSH4IZddc.png

Tents. I'd set out in search of Abby, Gibs, legacy, wizzard, Osteo and Stunt. Yet tents are what I've found. Not ours. Yet too close. I halt. Wide eyed. Two men stare back at me. No friendly dances here. All of ten meters separates us. Death hangs in the air between us. My rifle finds my shoulder and fire bursts forth. One man is hit several times and tries to run for the woods. His friend ducks behind the tents. I cross to trees adjacent the tents, firing. My grenades find the rear of the tent. I watch, listen. No death here. Foes lost to the wind. No bodies to be found.

Abby, Gibs, legacy, Wizzard, Osteo and Stunt join me. We head towards the airfield, Gibs and Abby take to the hills. We cross to the communications tower. Legacy, Wizzard, Osteo and Stunt begin to clear the comm tower. I run along the fence to join them.

"There is somebody here!"

"Get out!"

An explosion. Silence. I alone outside the tower. Abby and Gibs still above. Then this world, with all its quirks in the wake of the shamblers, takes hold.

I fall. Conscious, but unable to move. Satchel charges line the ground in every direction. The comm tower destroyed. The shamblers's moans grow. My rifle and trusted revolver useless. The shamblers tear at my flesh. Their frenzy is sickening. I hear Gibs die over the screams and shrieks. Hope lost. Death is freeing, but so much yet to accomplish.

ibhpTXdgW05YKg.png

Elektro. A town of betrayal and death. Salvation lays to the east. Here I stand, on its western bank. I creep through its docks. Shamblers seemingly subdued. A man, shamblers in pursuit. Weaving between buildings. He runs towards. I offer advice, of these docks. I shout. The friendly dance he must provide.

This stranger obliges. We dispatch his followers. I offer help. Food, ammo. More than I plan to use. Rifles and parts my goal. As I talk, he vanishes. As do his dispatched pursuers. Like the last ten minutes had not happened. A test? A spirit, now with the wind. It takes little time to stumble across more supplies.

Osteo and I cross paths near Kamyshovo. We run together. Clearing towns. Searching, surviving. The plague bearers swarm. Osteo their preferred target. He falls as they swarm. My pistol finds their heads. Osteo now surrounded by the dispatched on this coast. Trees perhaps concealing those that would eat our beans, but only after our lives had ended.

A...boat. From the ocean, a boat. Racing towards us.

Abby! Now a sea faring sniper. North we head. Airfield bound.

ibpDYnwh9Cq2N7.bmp

Nix and Mob have joined Broken by land. Assembled at the airfield. We drive, spare parts our calling.

ikWGW2I3KqFf7.bmp

We race towards the factory. Crawl to its walls. Nix feels as though someone has been here. The building cleared, we depart.

A man running through a field. None too surprising for our numbers. Yet...

I shout for my fellow gaffers to hit the ground. They scream that they are one with it. Nix, Mob and others near the truck. Osteo and stunt somewhere in the field. My rifle raised, watching as all are accounted. I shout and ask who I am walking towards. "Its me!" Stuntman. Relieved, but I continue, rifle trained. I tell him to stay there and let me confirm. He jumps up and fires. Not stunt. Falling. Yelling that it is not stunt. Mob and Osteo pursue. Osteo keeps pressure. Mob flanks my assailant. I hear gunfire. Mob, triumphant. Peace I've found in this field.

ibxkhxn9T88Bgo.png

Cherno. Northward bound. To friends. Each barn I shall hit. Already I've found a wealth of car parts. A suspended man, clad in camo with death across his face, provided me with pack and bow. I run across fields. Bushes I avoid. But not too carefully.

Unbelievable is my luck. Bushes that annoy, yet bestow a bicycle. Working! A road bike. I fly, north by northeast. Upwards of sixty kilometers per hour. Positively beaming. I fly past Broken. He having to settle for Abby and his motor bike. Others in pursuit of a man lost to the woods, he having attempted to carjack Wizzard. My bike parked, I climb towards the comm tower. Abby inside, collecting.

A man, crouched. Always a man. I signal to Abby to take refuge in the tower. I armed with crossbow, and russian sidearm. I exchange friendly dances with the man. He shouts, asks if I can provide blood. No hospital I've been near. I take his blood, but he does not truly need it. Suspicions. Few innocently sneak to the tower. And this man, feigning need. His back to Abby, I cautiously step away. Abby lets loose with his rifle. The stranger falls. I tell Abby of this, and that the shamblers run towards him. Yet Abby comes outside. The man rights himself. I let my arrow fly. It finds nothing. The stranger fires at Abby. Believing trap, or defending us both? I empty two clips from this damned pistol into him. A stranger still, even in death. Mob runs up. Carnage before him. Mob, Wizzard, AJ and Broken had been running since the stranger appeared.

A night of discovery and glee capped by loss, death. I retreat to the woods. Silent against this night. With all the lives lost over this month, it ought to discourage. Strangely hope prevails. Once we wandered town to town. Often lost, always pursued. No fortifications exist, but more permanency we've found. Where we find ourselves, always in a better place.

iCjaLidveRWqe.bmp

Previously: Broken

mik83kuu

Banned
Any mods who see this: Restart TX8 cuz zombie count is 0. Not that I mind since I keep finding loot and all, but... you know it sort of breaks the point of this mod if it's just a looting simulator.

mik83kuu

Banned
Why wasn't this posted already?

WIZARD / GOKU said:

Wizard had a dream about DayZ where he ranted in the Side Channel. He woke up and wrote down what he had said in the dream. He can't post it here so I'm doing it for him :) PS. Give him a break on the typos, he wrote it half-asleep.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
What would you do with the powers of invincibility? Why goof around of course. I call this video, "Broken(Irish), The Multiple Man"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AiSgS98UEA&feature=plcp

Here's another video I made, with some craziness in it. A man being chased through the woods, being attacked at the airfield, Slopeslider crashing a truck, MickeyKnox with a ruthless murder and some guys driving through the city with a grenade launcher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj-p2Vtg6R4&feature=youtube_gdata

mik83kuu

Banned
My current setup:

Coyote Backpack (24-slot)
NVG
GPS
Laser Range Thingy
M4 silenced
M9 silenced
Map
Compass
Hatchet
Knife
Matches
Clock

I am so going to rage tomorrow when I log in and lose them on some stupid shit

My current setup:

Coyote Backpack (24-slot)
NVG
GPS
Laser Range Thingy
M4 silenced
M9 silenced
Map
Compass
Hatchet
Knife
Matches
Clock

I am so going to rage tomorrow when I log in and lose them on some stupid shit

If you had a ghillie suit you'd be nigh-invincible. Some guy with a silenced weapon and a ghillie suit absolutely destroyed me and a friend as we were leaving Elektro at night time.

I didn't hear the shot but I saw my friend fall. Didn't even register that he'd been shot so I asked him on vent why he was proning. He said "I'm fucking dead dude, cheese it." I turn around and starting sprinting when this silhouette steps out of a bush in front of me and completely wastes me.

Anton668

If you had a ghillie suit you'd be nigh-invincible. Some guy with a silenced weapon and a ghillie suit absolutely destroyed me and a friend as we were leaving Elektro at night time.

I didn't hear the shot but I saw my friend fall. Didn't even register that he'd been shot so I asked him on vent why he was proning. He said "I'm fucking dead dude, cheese it." I turn around and starting sprinting when this silhouette steps out of a bush in front of me and completely wastes me.

yeah..... funny story bout all that gear.....
i'd tell ya all bout it cept im on my PS3 atm.
maybe someone else can tell you bout the great GAF massacre of ought twelve

mik83kuu

Banned
yeah..... funny story bout all that gear.....
i'd tell ya all bout it cept im on my PS3 atm.
maybe someone else can tell you bout the great GAF massacre of ought twelve

Yea someone should actually. Since you know, it was amazing. But I'm off to bed (and I wasn't even involved).

abusori

Dude with a ghillie suit massacred the fuck outta gaf today. I think only 3 survived, and they just weren't there. He also had some friends, but we took them out. (and by we I mean mostly mob who was on the hill with them)

Yeah yeah eloquent story telling and all, but I ain't no wedge.

Anton668

and i figured out why I had no ingame sound,
my pc decided to go "full retard" and send audio through hdmi instead of my headphones.
:(

Slair

Preliminary improvements from the impending update:

Rocket said:
Rough outline of what to expect in the pending update.

I will update this as more stuff is put in. Changelog will then follow it.

Performance and Optimization

- Reduction/elimination of the new server lag. This is caused by the ArmA2 server expecting immediate response from the central server. Vehicles are the main cause of this, as whenever they are damaged everything stops while the server ensures this is recorded in the database.
- Bugs fixed that were possibly causing very significant netcode overhead (will need mass-scale testing to verify this).

Infected Behavior

- Infected can no longer see/attack through walls.
- Entirely new mocap'd attack and running animations

Content

- Additional Idle Infected sounds
- Revised Attack sounds
- Many new action sounds, including IV, bandaging etc...

Notes

- This update will REQUIRE the beta patch, so it is worth installing this now and getting used to it.
- Read up at the BI Forums about the beta patch install. It's pretty easy.

WE ARE NOW US 38! FILTER FOR NEOGAF TO MAKE THIS EASIER FOR YOU!

Other server related stuff:

• I also patched us up to 63666.
  • Still debating on using the BattlEye Extended Controls global chat kick since now the mod is moving towards no Global and those left using it are terrible people.
  • TX8/US 38 isn't up for renewal for another 15 days - Donate!
  • Dallas 19 has about 10 more days left on it before we lose it.
  • Still need a Euro Admin for TX8/US 38

mik83kuu

Banned

I'll make sure to donate some monies before that time runs out. What are some useful donations to make? How much for a month for an example?

Is there an official EuroGAF Server? Would like to play with some nice guys for once

Dude join mumble and join TX8... erm US 38. I play from Finland and lag is definitely not an issue (other than the terrible de-syncing and lag that's been going on since Saturday).

Jibbed

WE ARE NOW US 38! FILTER FOR NEOGAF TO MAKE THIS EASIER FOR YOU!

• I also patched us up to 63666.
  • Still debating on using the BattlEye Extended Controls global chat kick since now the mod is moving towards no Global and those left using it are terrible people.
  • Dallas 19 has about 10 more days left on it before we lose it.
  • Still need a Euro Admin for TX8/US 38

I'm on fairly often these days, I wouldn't mind being the Euro admin (UK). I've yet to try the GAF server, the lag has been killing me lately. Can't wait for the update.

I'll make sure to donate some monies before that time runs out. What are some useful donations to make? How much for a month for an example?

Server costs $50 a month. Donate what you can, but I like to stress that no one should feel obligated. I know a lot of the DayZ group is young and money could always be better spent somewhere else. Unless you're gibs. He pays me lots of money for the GAF souls hes taken or hasn't saved.

I'm on fairly often these days, I wouldn't mind being the Euro admin (UK). I've yet to try the GAF server, the lag has been killing me lately. Can't wait for the update.

I could use two, but you do need to play on the server occasionally. I just want to make sure people get a feel for the server when they admin so they know how to sniff through some peoples bullshit and how to identify if the server does need a good kick.

Are you on mumble?

Edit: It's possible we might gain some performance boost out of forcing people to have client 93616+. What does everyone say?

It's crazy that a 3 year old, $30 dollar game is the #1 selling game on steam... That's just crazy. I'm also convinced that DayZ wouldn't have been able to take off as much as it did without services like steam. I don't think it would have been easy for everyone that bought ARMA because of DayZ to have found a physical copy.

WedgeX

Banned
It's crazy that a 3 year old, $30 dollar game is the #1 selling game on steam... That's just crazy. I'm also convinced that DayZ wouldn't have been able to take off as much as it did without services like steam. I don't think it would have been easy for everyone that bought ARMA because of DayZ to have found a physical copy.

None exist at the stores by me.

Anton668

Infected Behavior

- Infected can no longer see/attack through walls.

thank fucking christ!

that shit almost cost me my life last night after the game decided that my character needed to suddenly start running sideways and wouldnt stop whilst in the middle of a town.

DALLAS 19 IS PERMANENTLY LOCKED

Mik let me know someone claimed helis were on Dallas 19, so I hopped on the admin tool to keep an eye out. While trying to pry legit information from some trolls Mik started to flip out over Mumble. Tanks spawn on/around everyone on the server. Shut it down and locked it the minute it came back up.

Done with that piece of shit.

I'll be looking into a solution that will allow the majority of us to help moderate US 38/TX8. Not everyone is becoming an admin, but we do need something in place that we can shut the hacking down sooner rather than later.

Top Bottom