• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diet Racism is a real problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been noticing a worrying trend on internet as of late in regards to racial tolerance and cultural sensitivity. Due to the wonderful moderation team and Gaf's more liberal leanings, we don't see too many posts that look like this on the forum:

i was reading through the first 20 pages of this thread and noticed an interesting trend. Anyone who disagreed with the need for diversity in this game was BANNED from this forum. for voicing their opinion. i didnt realize how fully cucked the moderators on here are until now. fuck this forum and all the sjws who sit in their safe space here.

To everyone crying racism and white privilege, I have a question for you.

How many white men died for your freedom and independence in both the American Revolution and Civil War?

I'm not saying the country is perfect and that there aren't problems that need to be fixed, but to automatically cite something you don't agree with as "racist" is counterproductive.

But it still happens from time to time. This thread isn't about those people, but rather the more insipid kind of intolerance that the internet seems rife with at the moment. Dubbed Diet Racism, it seemingly comes up in every single thread or discussion that involves either a plea or demand for inclusion, annoyance with cultural appropriation, and most shockingly, black people wanting the practice of blackface to stop.
dietracists0tsl0.gif

While full blown racists stick to reddit or 4chan, and get banned here rather quickly, Diet Racists on the other hand do just enough, combing a perfect mixture of smugness with naive ambivalence to keep posting. The purpose of this thread is to reveal the many different types of racism and intolerent attitudes and expose the logical fallacies behind each one. It will also serve as an education tool for people who truly were unaware or acted out of ignorance.

1.) Willful Ignorance
ignorance_is_bliss_matrix.gif

These are folks that intentionally stay ignorant of racial and social issues in order to have their privilege undisturbed. This form of Diet Racism will not fight the fact that racism exists or affects others, but will debate endlessly that what their doing is harmless fun, or not a big deal. To them, racism is black and white with no subtleties and microaggressions do not exist. Watch out for comments such as "I don't see what the big deal is" "Its not that offensive" and my favorite "Its just a joke, lighten up"

2.)Historical Accuracy
Domenico_Fetti_-_Portrait_of_a_Scholar_-_WGA07862.jpg

Diet Racists have a tendency of using terms like 'Historical Accuracy' and 'Artistic Integrity' like a bludgeon to beat down arguments for diversity or inclusiveness in a movie, game or tv show. This is grade A B.S that should never hold weight. History is rich with color, and diversity has been known to show up in the most unexpected of places. There have been Black samurai, African knights, German women who were fighter pilots in WW2, and cowboys of all shades in the Wild West. If anything, its stranger that so many products take diversity out of their products in order to cater to an audience. The artictic integrity excuse only serves to mask laziness on the part of the creators who many times believe writing a minority or female character is to difficult.
3.) Anecdotal Evidence
stevenandalangc3.jpg

Saying you know a (insert minority) whose ok with whatever offensive garbage being done doesnt excuse a damn thing. Knowing a black guy who is ok with blackface or a Native American ok with the Washington Redskins doesnt make either of those things ok. Minorities arent shields you can hind behind when people call you out in an argument, so digging into the well in order to make yourself feel better is a load of bunk.

latest

There are so many more styles Diet Racists swap between in preparation for any argument, so feel free to post anymore in this thread. Exposing their tired and lazy tactics reduces their overall power and hopefully leads to less frustration when they obviously pop up.

Shaanyboi

Banned
But doesn't you calling someone a racist make you the racist?!

This is the logic that goes through these peoples' heads.

Sunster

I look at this forum as being full of posters who mostly on the journey to being woke, some closer than others. and a few have yet to begin the path because of willful ignorance and a refusal to accept their own ingrained racism exists.

But doesn't you calling someone a racist make you the racist?!

This is the logic that goes through these peoples' heads.

ahhh, I remember that stellar post. Really made me stop and think.

I quite enjoy when certain people get their collective panties in a knot when we use the discriptor or generalization of white *insert descriptive word for group of people here* but don't, you know, realize when they do the same thing.

See the Hillary Duff thread.

or a Native American ok with the Washington Redskins doesnt make either of those things ok.

Maybe I'm wrong/confusing it with something else here, but wasn't there some situation where a bunch of people were saying that was racist, and then the tribe in question said they were actually really happy to have that team named after them?

I might be thinking of the US military helicopters though.

Zonar

It's weird, I was just thinking about this exact same topic today. Thanks for making a thread. I'm sorry I was too lazy to make one myself.

Joeku

Maybe I'm wrong/confusing it with something else here, but wasn't there some situation where a bunch of people were saying that was racist, and then the tribe in question said they were actually really happy to have that team named after them?

Are you thinking of the kimono thing, maybe?

Over 500K Natives have signed notice, as well as the five largest remaining tribes, demanding that Dan Snyder change the name of the team.

Diet racism stems from people displaying sympathy toward bigots/racists and at the same time not displaying empathy towards minorities. Thy focus on the immediate and not the context.

If people could be more empathetic and less sympathetic this rise of diet racism would go away.

Verelios

Posters who come into a topic with obviously bigoted stances and leave when they're challenged with a handwave of 'Oh, I didn't know I couldn't do that/say that/it was offensive' make my blood boil. Especially because I know, and you know that you sure as hell did know you could do that, so you did.

It's shitty because they show just enough ignorance to take a step back in faux understanding but not enough to denounce their views.

Edit: The greatest proponent of diet racism is the use of the word 'educate'. Every racist can be educated and should be (which I agree with) but at particular moments, education has no other meaning than you be a crutch for hate, saying they can be reformed later.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Just glancing at the comments section of any sports site makes it very clear it's a real problem.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The moderate white populace is as much a threat to minorities as overt racism. I literally can't roll my eyes back far enough whenever I see someone trying to use the arguments outlined in the OP. Was thinking of a making a similar gaming focused OP on sexism and racism in the industry. The most overt recent examples on this forum is a pokemon thread and the thread about Hillary Duff's god awful halloween costume choice.

The moderate white populace is as much a threat to minorities as overt racism. I literally can't roll my eyes back far enough whenever I see someone trying to use the arguments outlined in the OP. Was thinking of a making a similar gaming focused OP on sexism and racism in the industry.

The droves of them that came out during the primaries was sickening.

Sunster

Over 500K Natives have signed notice, as well as the five largest remaining tribes, demanding that Dan Snyder change the name of the team.

but this team has an 84 year history. 84 yearsssssssssssssss. those natives and their 10,000 + year history have NO RIGHT to make demands.

Don't know where folks get the idea that opinions should be protected whatever they may be, as if they were somehow inert or took precedence over the well being of others.

Somnid

I don't feel assuming everyone of these people to be hidden race trolls reflects the reality of the situation. I think it's quite common to simply be ignorant of issues, particularly if they don't affect you. I'm not sure exposing requires anything different than a clear and well explained counter argument which would be the best course of action regardless of malicious intent.

Can't forget those quick to point out "outrage culture" in culture threads because they don't understand why they're just now hearing about said complaints.

Lime

"My friend [ie some anecdote I randomly heard] didn't get a job/college enrollment because of affirmative action, therefore minorities shouldn't get systemic benefits that aim to lessen the marginalization"

"I don't care about representation in media, so it shouldn't be discussed"

Slayven

I don't feel assuming everyone of these people to be hidden race trolls reflects the reality of the situation. I think it's quite common to simply be ignorant of issues, particularly if they don't affect you. I'm not sure exposing requires anything different than a clear and well explained counter argument which would be the best course of action regardless of malicious intent.

Nothing wrong with being ignorant of issues that don't get much publication. But it is another to be ignorant and righteous.

"Augs lives Matter"

Some people are malicious, but most good natured people probably don't even realize their own vast representation in society over other people. And no matter how kind hearted they may be, they entirely lack the capacity to even approach other people's experiences, because they lived their lives assuming everyone had a similar one. To be ubiquitous is also to be invisible, even to themselves.

Dio

Banned
"My friend [ie some anecdote I randomly heard] didn't get a job/college enrollment because of affirmative action, therefore minorities shouldn't get systemic benefits that aim to lessen the marginalization"

"I don't care about representation in media, so it shouldn't be discussed"

I once heard at work that 'gender' was a made up term and that there is only sex and that this is liberals muddying the waters as it were.

Sorry, you overreached in your Historical Accuracy section. It distracts from an otherwise great post. You really sound like you want artists to shoehorn in diversity where it wouldn't make much sense, just because you can find a few exceptions in history. I'd say the actual racism problem with the arts is white-and-male-washing areas where historical accuracy dictates that there be a lot of diversity.

Slayven

Sorry, you overreached in your Historical Accuracy section. It distracts from an otherwise great post. You really sound like you want artists to shoehorn in diversity where it wouldn't make much sense, just because you can find a few exceptions in history. I'd say the actual racism problem with the arts is white-and-male-washing areas where historical accuracy dictates that there be a lot of diversity.

Historical accuracy like vampires and steampunk guns?

LionPride

Banned

Hint: It ain't the Redskins

It was the Florida State Seminoles, at least they also kinda do things with the community. Fuck that chop and seeing a white person dressed as a native tho.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This shit right here man, let's address this, the idea that putting more minorities in historical settings is "shoehorning" is downright idiotic. CONSTANTLY, caucasians are literally shoehorned into settings where they don't belong, ON TOP of minorities being portrayed way less than they actually were in history, there's a term for it, it's called whitewashing, history in media is constantly whitewashed and it's time to stop as we have dudes who legitimately believe stupid shit like "there weren't many black cowboys." The more we normalize minorities in history settings the better off things will be in the future.

This shit right here man, let's address this, the idea that putting more minorities in historical settings is "shoehorning" is downright idiotic. CONSTANTLY, caucasians are literally shoehorned into settings where they don't belong, ON TOP of minorities being portrayed way less than they actually were in history, there's a term for it, it's called whitewashing, history in media is constantly whitewashed and it's time to stop as we have dudes who legitimately believe stupid shit like "there weren't many black cowboys."

Yo what you mean there weren't armies of white people in ancient egypt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom