• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

Cepheus

I finally applied my Orzly screen protector this morning, and it looks great. I'm so glad I bought one. However, it was a bit of a nightmare to put on. The dust stickers that came with it left adhesive residue on the screen before I put the protector on which I had to try and clean off, and in doing so I accidentally scratched the screen a ton. Thankfully I managed to iron it all out in the end, but yeah. I'm not going to play on my Switch for a few hours though because I'm not sure whether I have to leave it to set or not. It didn't say anything about doing that in the instructions.

I just impulse bought the Nintendo switch Keten hard case because it was discounted from 30 to just 8 euros and it seems to have a lot of storage in a very compact form factor.

71QjUL0%2BivL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B06XGJ4C49/

Had anybody else bought it? Is it good?

I was going to buy a case like the ardistel ones which fit the switch with the joycons attached to its sides but, because my joycons are very slightly wobbly, I'm afraid that a drop or somebody sitting on top of the case with the joycons attached might damage the rails and increase the wobbliness. I also think that the cases with the joycons detached will feel smaller and easier to find space for it in any kind of bag. What do you guys think?

I should receive it in Thursday, I will let you guys know if it's any good.

I'd be interested in a case like that cause I think it'd fit in a cargo pocket. Would be nice for days I know I'd only be using split joycons / local mp.

Hattori

Banned
I just got the AmFilm, not 100% coverage (dimensions are off a bit) but it does the job and installation is a breeze.

I ordered the AmFilm glass protector and it got here before my Orzly, which shipped out a long time ago. Used the hinge and steamy bathroom trick and have no bubbles or dust.

Was there a period of time I should wait before using my dock or am I thinking of something else.

Citizen K

I ordered the AmFilm glass protector and it got here before my Orzly, which shipped out a long time ago. Used the hinge and steamy bathroom trick and have no bubbles or dust.

Was there a period of time I should wait before using my dock or am I thinking of something else.

I got the orzly and it's recommend to wait a few hours at least. Did mine at night so after work the next day it was all good

Yaranaika

So I messaged TechMatte, the company that makes the amFilm tempered glass for the Switch, in an attempt to get one shipped to Canada from amazon.com. Obviously I am unable to checkout ("Sorry, this item can't be shipped to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order.") ...but they claim to ship to Canada through amazon.com.

email said:
We are sorry to hear this, --Yaranaika--, and we just run a test to order this item and ship to Canada without any issue. Perhaps there was a system glitch earlier, would you be kindly giving it another try? Please do leave your phone number and follow the direction on the order page via our US site. Here is the order link for your reference:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ASPNV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pretty sure nobody outside of the US can order these, but why do they claim that they can ship them? I even tried a VPN. Anyone want to try to checkout to a random Toronto address because I think I'm going to just give up on this.

Yaari

So I messaged TechMatte, the company that makes the amFilm tempered glass for the Switch, in an attempt to get one shipped to Canada from amazon.com. Obviously I am unable to checkout ("Sorry, this item can't be shipped to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order.") ...but they claim to ship to Canada through amazon.com.

Pretty sure nobody outside of the US can order these, but why do they claim that they can ship them? I even tried a VPN. Anyone want to try to checkout to a random Toronto address because I think I'm going to just give up on this.

I'm outside of the US too, cant order either.

Anyone want to try to checkout to a random Toronto address because I think I'm going to just give up on this.

On the item page: "This item does not ship to Montreal, Canada. Please check other sellers who may ship internationally." I can still add it to my cart, but I can't check out.

I guess I'll order an Orzly from Amazon.ca.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I don't know if this has been noted yet, but just in case anyone was wondering, the Sheikah Slate case from the US Master and Special Editions of Breath of the Wild, the PDP Sheikah Eye case, a US GameStop exclusive, the PDP Link's Tunic case, and presumably the PDP Mario "M" case are effectively the same product from a design and manufacturing perspective:

crrqRu.jpg

I guess Nintendo subcontracted the Master/Special Edition case to PDP...? The interior construction of all these cases is identical, only exterior details differ. Materials used are a match across the board, even the metal emblem zipper fobs. If you weren't able to snag a BotW Master/Special Edition, the Sheikah Eye case is arguably more aesthetically pleasing and widely available at US GameStops.

Just applied my am protector a second time. Less crooked than my first application. Also no dust or dirt noticeable. There are a couple small bubbles around edges that I hope will disappear on their own soon.

lantus

I got the amfilm glass protector just a couple days ago. I was initially irritated when I put it on when the a few bubbles just wouldn't go away. Then the next day all gone and looks perfect.

Kudo

Wish me luck, the ritual is about to begin.
Will edit this message with my failure/success, gathering all power before challenging the Major Test of Protector Applying.

Results: Huge bubble in the middle, sigh.

ScOULaris

Has anyone tried any of these dock socks from Etsy?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ActivePatch

On one hand I'd like to avoid using a screen protector if possible, but on the other I'm not sure whether or not something like this would actually help. I fear that these might trap dust that could potentially scratch the screen even more than the plastic rails inside the dock.

Mbrill82

Count me as another very satisfied amFilm screen protector customer. Application was easy and went on perfectly. Now I just have to wait for my Waterfield case to come next week.

Once I find a small form factor USB C charger that can change while I play I'll be all set.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone got a suggestion for something to travel with in the US that I can get before Sunday? I am flying and want to bring my Switch, but I can't find ANYTHING near me and I have no idea how to travel with this otherwise.

TankRizzo

Banned
Anyone got a suggestion for something to travel with in the US that I can get before Sunday? I am flying and want to bring my Switch, but I can't find ANYTHING near me and I have no idea how to travel with this otherwise.

if you're in a pickle, I suggest maybe a netbook or tablet sleeve for the mean time.

Snowballo

Long post but with pictures! :D
A few questions:

1. Is this Hori Screen Protector (Japan), the same as this one (Us)

2. On Playasia I see that Hori offers a few different screen protectors. What is the difference between those? I know one is tempered glass, but the others?

http://www.play-asia.com/extra-hard-screen-protector-for-nintendo-switch/13/70aw4x

http://www.play-asia.com/pitahari-screen-protector-for-nintendo-switch/13/70aw4t

http://www.play-asia.com/blue-light-cut-pitahari-screen-protector-for-nintendo-switch/13/70aw4v

http://www.play-asia.com/screen-protector-for-nintendo-switch/13/70aw53

3. Does this stand worth its money? Any experience?

4. I'm looking for something similar to PSP and PS Vita soft pouch. It was included with PSP and it is available just in Japan for PS Vita. Do you think this one could be a good choice?

http://www.play-asia.com/soft-pouch-for-nintendo-switch-black/13/70avyp

TankRizzo

Banned
A few questions:

2. On Playasia I see that Hori offers a few different screen protectors. What is the difference between those? I know one is tempered glass, but the others?

http://www.play-asia.com/extra-hard-screen-protector-for-nintendo-switch/13/70aw4x

http://www.play-asia.com/pitahari-screen-protector-for-nintendo-switch/13/70aw4t

http://www.play-asia.com/blue-light-cut-pitahari-screen-protector-for-nintendo-switch/13/70aw4v

http://www.play-asia.com/screen-protector-for-nintendo-switch/13/70aw53

3. Does this stand worth its money? Any experience?

4. I'm looking for something similar to PSP and PS Vita soft pouch. It was included with PSP and it is available just in Japan for PS Vita. Do you think this one could be a good choice?

http://www.play-asia.com/soft-pouch-for-nintendo-switch-black/13/70avyp

I bought an official Wii U gamepad stand on amazon for $5. Consensus on the googles is that it's one of the best.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
A few questions:

Probably. That's the Japanese "standard type."

From top to bottom:

- "Extra hard", which is still plastic, not glass — Hori doesn't offer a glass protector.
- Anti-fingerprint. Ostensibly super-duper oleophobic...?
- Blue light filter. There are all sorts of theories about why blue light is bad business and can affect sleep. Hori claims it's "easy on the eyes!".
- Standard.

All of these scream gimmick to me. After using a tempered glass protector... there's just no going back, IMO.

Mdk7

The Orzly tempered glass screen protectors are good.
Like really, really good.
Very happy with my purchase.

Has anyone in the US gotten their Orzly Glass protector yet? And if so when did they mark it as shipped? I still haven't gotten mine and they claimed it shipped out on Feb 20th. It's obvious that they only marked it as such so that Amazon doesn't cancel the order.

Has anyone in the US gotten their Orzly Glass protector yet? And if so when did they mark it as shipped? I still haven't gotten mine and they claimed it shipped out on Feb 20th. It's obvious that they only marked it as such so that Amazon doesn't cancel the order.

same shipped date and still noting. I request to cancel the order and get a refund.

Ocho

Has anyone tried any of these dock socks from Etsy?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ActivePatch

On one hand I'd like to avoid using a screen protector if possible, but on the other I'm not sure whether or not something like this would actually help. I fear that these might trap dust that could potentially scratch the screen even more than the plastic rails inside the dock.

I bought the Zelda one from this seller and it's incredible.

+1 for the AmFilm screen protector, and this coming from someone who HATES screen protectors.

I used the steamy bathroom/hinge method and it went on PERFECTLY.

IMACOMPUTA

Yes the amfilm tempered glass protector is the first time I've ever felt like I improved a device with a screen protector. No more sticky plastic screen. Smooth glass feels way better.

I did a terrible job of putting it on, peeled it off and got it perfect the second try. It's incredible.

tebunker

Banned
So this isn't going to be for everyone, but http://imgur.com/a/knFwo

It is mildly padded, but is nice because it can hold two sets of joycons and straps, pro con, my charger and ten foot cable. It also slides in to my back pack that holds my laptop.

Going to keep playing around with the configuration since I have a ton of space in the center.

I like the versatility of it though.

No Complaints for ~$15

I am also going to get a hard case later on once I see more of them take the abuse, and will get one that can hold the dock too so I can use it for more extensive trips.

Here is the Charger I got in case you are in the market.

Cable too.

Finally going to install the amFilm tonight! Woo.

+1 for the AmFilm screen protector, and this coming from someone who HATES screen protectors.

I used the steamy bathroom/hinge method and it went on PERFECTLY.

The amFilm screen protector application went super-smooth for me, too! Hit it up with the wet/dry wipes, no steam required, and it's 100% perfect. Can't even tell that there's a protector on my Switch. Glad I installed it five days into ownership - didn't like having electrical tape both sides my Dock to prevent scratches.

Just wasted my time with my FOURTH AMFilm tempered glass screen protector. This shit just will not fucking stick. Steamy bathroom makes it worse as it dampens the screen and the adhesive wont even touch it. Anytime I try to reapply, that's it. Adhesive in corners are gone.

What a colossal waste of $11 and time (they sent me a replacement).

tebunker

Banned
Just wasted my time with my FOURTH AMFilm tempered glass screen protector. This shit just will not fucking stick. Steamy bathroom makes it worse as it dampens the screen and the adhesive wont even touch it. Anytime I try to reapply, that's it. Adhesive in corners are gone.

Just a question but after the second time of not sticking with a steamy bathroom why would you keep trying? Why not take a chance with a spec of dust? I am confused

I did 2 things to fix my Dock which was slightly bent. I used double sided tape and really thin black microfiber cloth that I cut (as a user showed before in here) and put that onto the front of the switch dock where scratches could happen. Then over the next 36 hours I used a book to stretch the dock apart a bit and started using it today, dear god how much of a difference! Not only are there no smudges or anything now (I have gorilla glass as well) but it slides in and out like butter.

Recommend this for everyone!

Vitacat

I've installed dozens of screen protectors over several decades. These amFilms are among the very best I've used. I installed one perfectly the very first time on my Switch, and I mean perfect with no dust, hairs, bubbles or imperfections whatsoever. You can't even tell there's a protector on, just looks like the Switch has a really nice glass screen instead of a cheap plastic screen.

So, it's not the amFilm. You're doing something wrong.

First of all, sounds like you're steaming the bathroom, but not allowing enough time for the steam to dissipate. You don't do the installation if there is any moisture in the air. That defeats the entire purpose of the steamy bathroom technique -- to remove particles from the air and bring them to the ground. You're supposed to wait (usually 15 - 20 minutes) for the steam to be completely cleared up.

I also recommend closing any AC vents, and any doors before and during installation. Wearing a dust mask that covers nose and mouth, and a shower cap or other hair cover is also highly recommended. Hands should be very clean. Also recommend using the hinge technique to place the amFilm BEFORE removing the plastic backing, then clean the plastic backing (yes, seriously, because residue on the backing can fall onto the Switch screen and end up under the amFilm), then clean the Switch screen. Then remove the plastic backing and guide the amFilm down carefully while ONLY touching the 2 tabs on either side. Then gently tap the center and watch the amFilm spread across the screen. Use the card to gently push out any bubbles BEFORE removing the top plastic with the 2 tabs. If good technique is used and all goes well, you should get a very good if not perfect application.

Piggus

My Orzly glass screen protector finally arrived, and it was definitely worth the wait. For anyone who ordered it, I suggest using the two dust stickers to do the "hinge" method. That's generally the standard way to put on a glass screen protector and it will save you a lot of time and hassle.

5CIw7z6.jpg

It looks way better and less visible in person than it does in a picture. Most people probably wouldn't even know it's there.

Padinn

I got my orzly today and have it installed. My first try didn't go so well. Second one is much better. Very happy with the product overall.

Thanks. I've never had any problem installing protectors on my numerous smartphones myself but never used steam method before.. I will try once more. Will let steam settle next time.

Just a question but after the second time of not sticking with a steamy bathroom why would you keep trying? Why not take a chance with a spec of dust? I am confused

Let me put it this way: I pick up and clean my home before every gaming session.

b3b0p

Honestly, the Waterfield doesn't look very protective if at all. I'd stick with the official Nintendo or Hori. For my DS, 3DS, and Game Boy's I've always gotten the Hori (hard) pouches. Tried and true and time tested. I've owned many Waterfield products, probably upwards of $1,000 worth of bags, sleeves for laptops. They look nice have great build quality and materials, but are not what I consider protective. The Switch needs something protective in my opinion to help it's portability as a gaming device. I can literally throw my other portables up against a brick wall. The Switch, no way.

Top Bottom