• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman 4 (Cancelled)

Neo Child

Banned
maybe this is old but this is new to me. was just playing rayman on the gbc (always beeen a huge fan of the series since the first one) and went to wikipedia it and low and behold was a SCHMORGENSPORSH of information about a cancelled rayman 4.

rayman 4 was 3d and looked amazing from the concept art, taking the much loved worlds from the first game (picture city, band land, candy chateau etc) and turning them into 3d. check.

Picture_City_in_Rayman_4.png
(imagine this playing like mario 3d land)

R4_Background_Ciel_Color.jpg

Lair_of_dark_rayman.png

now i love rayman 1 and 2. 3 was okay and thought origins was so-so.

the thing that i loved about rayman was the colourful worlds and that certain style that was prevelant in the first game.

for funsies:

rayman beta on snes
Rayman-snes.jpg

rayman 2 2d prototype: http://raymanpc.com/wiki/script-en/images/8/82/Rayman_2_prototype_images.jpg

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I want this to be resurrected :/. Or another take on Rayman 4, Rayman 2 is still one of the best games ever imo.

EDIT: So Rayman 4 was not cancelled once, but two times? That's really outstandingly sad :(

Neo Child

Banned
i didnt think origins was a patch on the original, or even as good as the 2nd one.

the art style was cool, but the worlds felt empty and you were doing the same thing throughout the game. eyes and lightening bolts everywhere of rayman 1 yum

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wow, there was a Rayman SNES prototype? Mind blown! Though Rayman himself looks ugly as shit.

Those concept pieces for Rayman 4, needless to say, are gorgeous - that would've been nice to have a 3D Rayman like that, as nice as Origins is.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Cool

But Rayman is still an ugly looking character. 3D just makes him look worse

I actually find him disturbing, the floating dismembered body parts just gel with me, I just choose to play with another character in Origins.

The Hermit

I nevee cared about Rayman, until Rayman 2 which is one of the best games I've ever played. I like the idea of Origins, but the gameplay didn't clicked for me...

Lijik

The art for this pitch is indeed lovely, but I think we need to keep in mind the actual developers for it made flash games and Horsez titles for Ubisoft.

olimpia84

I don't understand why they cancelled this. Rayman 3D sold very well on the 3DS so I'm sure a new entry in the series won't do bad at all sales wise.

Lijik

I don't understand why they cancelled this. Rayman 3D sold very well on the 3DS so I'm sure a new entry in the series won't do bad at all sales wise.
This was pitched to Ubisoft about the same time the Raving Rabbids platformer was already in preproduction at Montiplier

Neo Child

Banned
You like Rayman on Gameboy Color... good... you thought Origins was so-so? Whaaaat. I don't know whether to kill you... or kiss you!

i enjoyed origins, just thought it was a bit shit after playing the likes of donkey kong country. so much variation there, origins just didnt have it. i still liked it.

Ubi also killed Michel Ancel's original 3D platformer version of Raving Rabbids.
fwiw that project also started out as "Rayman 4" before evolving to a Rabbids platformer.

My guess is the Phoenix made PS2 Rayman 4 probably got canned in favor of Ancel's Wii Rayman 4 originally.

MrT-Tar

looks fantastic, it's really a shame how 3D platformers have all but disappeared this generation (with a few exceptions like Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2). While I easily prefer Origins to Rayman 2, I would've loved a 3D Rayman 4 and I'm sure loads others would have as well.

Tuck

I'd love a new 3D Rayman game. Those concept pictures look great.

But the franchsie seems to have gone in a new direction with the Rayman origins reboot. And its a pretty cool direction, but I would certainly love to see them develop a new 3D title.

In all seriousness, the lack of 3D platformers this gen is greatly disturbing. Don't get me wrong, I love 2D platformers, and Mario Galaxy is essentially all you need this gen, but the fact that, for example, the 3DS has gone without a 3D platformer so far is disgraceful.

ffdgh

In all seriousness, the lack of 3D platformers this gen is greatly disturbing. Don't get me wrong, I love 2D platformers, and Mario Galaxy is essentially all you need this gen, but the fact that, for example, the 3DS has gone without a 3D platformer so far is disgraceful.

Wouldn't SM3DL count as a 3d platformer?

Wouldn't SM3DL count as a 3d platformer?

I guess so... I'd go so far as to call it 2.5D in the sense that it takes the aspects of the 2D Mario games and puts them in a 3D space. I was more referring to more open, behind the back 3D platformers like Galaxy, Rayman 2, Banjo Kazooie etc.

I guess so... I'd go so far as to call it 2.5D in the sense that it takes the aspects of the 2D Mario games and puts them in a 3D space. I was more referring to more open, behind the back 3D platformers like Galaxy, Rayman 2, Banjo Kazooie etc.

I consider any platformer that needs an analog stick to control well 3D :) Also, 2.5D is generally used in a pretty different sense (2D platformer mechanics with 3D graphics)

bede-x

Yeah, we could use a proper Banjo-Kazooie, a new Psychonauts and another Jak & Daxter to set things right. Unfortunately, games like that don't sell that well anymore, so it's gonna be slim pickings, Mario games, remakes and low budget alternatives aside.

BD1

Banned
The second concept art looks like it might have made it to Rayman Legends.

Wasn't there a demo recently of a music based level?

Lijik

The second concept art looks like it might have made it to Rayman Legends.

Wasn't there a demo recently of a music based level?
Wouldnt surprise me. Some of this pitch made its way in the gba adaption of Raving Rabbids, and the ice world in Origins is a direct nod to Tonic Trouble.

Lijik

Im kind of shocked at how far people are willing to go to not call M3DL a 3D platformer.

To me its one of the purest 3D platformers out there /because/ of its lack of adventure elements.

The perspective element doesnt make sense to me either - levels in the Galaxy games (like the sky station galaxy or whatever the first proper level in G2 is called) utilize similar camera perspectives as 3D Land. It doesnt make them less of a 3D platformer.

(also speaking of the lack of 3d platformers this gen, if you can stomach the bad controls and sometimes dreamlogic solutions to soe puzzles, Evil Twin is a pretty fun romp. Unique world, nicely implemented adventure elements but also a good mix of rayman 2/mario 3d land esque Get to the Goal stages. The controls are /really/ awful though so i cant really say its a great game but its an interesting obscure title from last generation that should be up peoples alley)

Top Bottom