• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Jigolo

This thread covers BOTH the anime and manga. THERE WILL BE UNTAGGED SPOILERS
ANIME ONLY --> HERE

14306237073_c723950be5_b.jpg

What is Hunter x Hunter?
Hunter x Hunter is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Yoshihiro Togashi. HxH began serialization on March 3, 1998 by Weekly Shounen Jump. Currently the manga has 340 chapters published within 32 volumes. Over 65 million sold as of 2013. Unfortunately the manga has been plagued by many hiatuses over the years so the story hasn't progressed all that much. Due to the frequent hiatuses the series is commonly referred to as HxH (Hiatus x Hiatus)

What's it about?
The story focuses on a young boy named Gon, who discovers that his father, whom he was told was dead, is actually alive and well. He learns that his father, Ging, is a world-renowned Hunter. Despite Ging having left his son with his relatives in order to pursue his own dreams, Gon departs upon a journey to follow in his father's footsteps, pass the rigorous Hunter Examination, and eventually find his father. Along the way, Gon meets various other kinds of Hunters and also encounters the paranormal.

Volumes (34 so far)
u7DthiL.png
thumb-2220-hxh_1_web.jpg
thumb-2307-hxh_2_web.jpg
thumb-2394-hxh_3_web.jpg
thumb-2415-hxh_4_web.jpg
thumb-2454-hxh_5_web.jpg
thumb-2505-HXH_6_web.jpg
thumb-2565-HXH_07_web.jpg
thumb-2619-HXH_08_web.jpg
thumb-2622-HXH_09_web.jpg
tyUc39e.jpg
RjFuC4n.jpg
qbdeyn3.jpg
Pi3gDSK.jpg
3u4lv3O.jpg
jTbFdZj.jpg
2O23WXd.jpg
tYtwoIh.jpg
JatEFbO.jpg
rCWFNAD.png
P1uLYHk.jpg
CN8VlLN.jpg
UiY9bK9.jpg
XVqHGgg.jpg
WClFtJA.jpg
K6HZPkH.jpg
ppJKs2l.jpg
XoFwkcl.jpg
2XT2SiI.jpg
thumb-5457-HxH_29_web.jpg
UUkaKTg.jpg
LDsDxvZ.jpg
Ndjdzl2.jpg
uFVpSnJ.jpg

Hiatus Chart and Information
https://hiatus-hiatus.rhcloud.com/

PSA: HUNTER X HUNTER RETURNS AFTER IT'S LONGEST HIATUS
June 2nd, 2014 - Chapter 341 officially releases

Where can I read?
Show your support by subscribing here: Weekly Shonen Jump
Android App:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.viz.wsj.android
iOS App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/weekly-shonen-jump/id594237344?mt=8

Feedback for adjustments is appreciated.

Please enjoy and discuss.

Thanks to:
Radec - Banner
MCD - Title suggestion

Mortemis

Banned
Subbed and iiiiiiiiiiiiin. I'm so ready for the new chapter. Especially coming after this new episode.

Throw at me whatever you will Togashi, I'm fucking ready.

So with Killua traveling around with Alluka, who do you think is going to be in Gon's posse for this next arc?

Also, Beyond Netero: what's his deal? I'm assuming we'll find out in the new chapter, considering they were about to watch that video.

And I can't wait to see what all the Zodiacs are capable of! Especially Pariston and Cheadle.

Jigolo

Well, I'm bailing out of here until the anime finishes which is when I'll start reading regularly each week. So if anyone needs me to change something in the OP just PM me.

Mortemis

Banned
I'm really really hoping the Spiders and Kurapika play a role in this upcoming arc. It could be anything. Maybe the Spiders run off to the dark continent with Beyond and Kurapika chases them into it, idk, I just want them to have more of a focus in this next arc. I hope we get more Pariston too, definitely one of the more interesting characters shown in the election arc.

kirblar

manga spoilers:

Sure, Alluka's wishing rules are fairly complicated and layered, up until Killua goes 'lol there's a secret rule that lets you wish for whatever without a downside' Alluka was already a complete cop-oit before that (hey guys turns out killua conveniently has a younger sibling that's ever been mentioned so far). I was not at all happy with that arc's resolution. And it was such an amazing arc otherwise too :(
Responding to a Anime Thread post-

Gon first is going to lose his life. It's saved, but at another price- he loses Killua. Not as a friend of course, but Killua now has the burden of protecting his sister now that the secret's out.

That's a pretty enormous consequence, and I feel it works well enough dramatically.

Re: people saying that this current episode was a deus ex machina: is it really a deus ex if there are severe consequences? Gon sacrifices his life just to be able to defeat Pitou and they say it was a deus ex. Maybe the episode didn't convey the extent of what happened to Gon effectively.

Mortemis

Banned
Responding to a Anime Thread post-

Gon first is going to lose his life. It's saved, but at another price- he loses Killua. Not as a friend of course, but Killua now has the burden of protecting his sister now that the secret's out.

That's a pretty enormous consequence, and I feel it works well enough dramatically.

I get where that's going. Gon is basically all alone, Ging ran off again, Killua is with Alluka now, and he can't really bother Kurapika and Leorio. He's all alone, and doesn't really have any motives to do anything since everything he's done was just to meet Ging. I'm wondering if he'll just go back to whale island until something pulls him back into the world of the hunters or what he'll do next. Maybe he'll chase Ging into the dark continent or something.

Trevelyon

I feel like I gleamed more info or at least what Togashi's was inferring on the nature of Gon's power and his sacrifice from the anime, then what the manga gave me at the time.

Though, maybe I'm just super hazy years removed, or read a bum scan at the time.

Re: people saying that this current episode was a deus ex machina: is it really a deus ex if there are severe consequences? Gon sacrifices his life just to be able to defeat Pitou and they say it was a deus ex. Maybe the episode didn't convey the extent of what happened to Gon effectively.

they'll find out when they see how fucked up Gon is in the hospital

Lol at the Nanika in the logo

Impressions of covers, now that they are all together

Volume 1. The hell was Togashi thinking. Is Gon mounting a frog? is a statue, a vehicle? Why do they seem fused?

Volume 2. Not bad, I like Kurapica and Leorio here.

Volume 3-6. Animals, poor Killua doesn't appear in the cover until volume 6, he isn't in the group in volume 2.

Volume 8. Ugh, that Kuroro. Ugly.

Volume 9. Kurapica kind of derpy and I don't like the color.

Volume 11. That's much better. A classy, in black suit, dark bishounen Kuroro.

Volume 12. Original. How cute are the bad guys!

Volume 13. Even more original, I like it.

Volume 14. One of the best with Kurapica. the nakedness contrast with the chains and the blood, the weird blue backgrounds creates a nice effect.

Volume 16. Nice perspective here.

Volume 17-19. Random animals, just because. It seems the cover was kind of empty with only one character so he chose to add something else! The dog and owl are really out of place.

Volume 21. I like the menacing queen here.

Volume 23. Again the chibi enemies. Cute.

Volume 25. She is looking a bit derp.

Volume 27. Eehh even Netero looks bored, he is more impressive in his own chapters inside.

Volume 28. I like this one, very distinctive.

Volume 29. One of the best, in fact.

Volume 30. Not bad.

Volume 31. Moeeee.

Volume 32. Again with the random animal on cover!

Someone could argue alluka is a subverted trope of the wishing dragon or a genie, but yeah Alluka was a perfect way to get Gon back to normal and felt pretty deus ex to me.

He used up a few chapters to explain all the interesting rules of how his/her powers worked and the interesting consequences it could have if Gon was healed, and then it was "lol nope!".

Man some of those manga covers are ridiculous, I need to pick some up.

Gon's sacrifice kind of reminds me of Ed's from FMA.
Does he ever use nen after he gets healed? Do they ever specify what he gave up to transform?
I spoiled myself on the next arc, but I am excited to see the return of this dude.

Kurapika_and_at_least_10_pairs_of_Scarlet_Eyes.jpg

Mortemis

Banned
He used up a few chapters to explain all the interesting rules of how his/her powers worked and the interesting consequences it could have if Gon was healed, and then it was "lol nope!".

"There are no consequences when you use a good wish!" That ruined it for me too.
I spoiled myself on the next arc, but I am excited to see the return of this dude.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120330180319/hunterx/images/d/db/Kurapika_and_at_least_10_pairs_of_Scarlet_Eyes.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah same here. I'm wondering how batshit insane he's gotten now, he probably cut himself off from humanity and is a crazy avenger.

"There are no consequences when you use a good wish!" That ruined it for me too.

Yeah same here. I'm wondering how batshit insane he's gotten now, he probably cut himself off from humanity and is a crazy avenger.

Let's hope Togashi doesn't ruin him like Kishimoto did with Sasuke.

smurfx

get some go again
so do you think there is a time skip coming soon? seeing as how gon and ging are going to the other side of the world? unless killua and alluka end up going with them i don't see how it won't happen. that is unless killua's role in the story will get severely diminished as gon has his adventure with ging.

Won

Need to find a place to bet on the chapter count for this run. I'm in the need of losing some money.

kirblar

so do you think there is a time skip coming soon? seeing as how gon and ging are going to the other side of the world? unless killua and alluka end up going with them i don't see how it won't happen. that is unless killua's role in the story will get severely diminished as gon has his adventure with ging.
Probably not given that we have the first chapter of this arc already. :p

Mortemis

Banned
I'm not a fan of lengthy time-skips, they tend to be cop-outs for character development and an easy way to just change a character quickly, but I have faith in Togashi. I still don't really want a time-skip, a lot goes on in a year and I'd rather just jump into this new expedition. I could see a short timeskip of like a couple months to skip the expedition preparation and just go straight to the dark continent though.

I hope not. Considering the Zodiac is being hired to stop Beyond, I don't see what benefit a time skip would give. And main characters have come and gone in the series. Killua has had a lot of time in the spotlight, so I figure he won't show up for a while.

Regarding Alluka, I may be misremembering, but I thought the whole point was that Killua had figured out how her power worked and yet his family still thought she was too dangerous and locked her up. It was more of a family tension thing than anything else.

smurfx

get some go again
they didn't lock alluka back up. illumi seemed pretty determined to learn alluka's secret after seeing her nen when she healed gon. killua isn't going to allow his family to exploit alluka so she is going to stay with him from now on. remember that alluka still isn't considered family so she can still be killed.

Lulubop

Man some of those manga covers are ridiculous, I need to pick some up.

Gon's sacrifice kind of reminds me of Ed's from FMA.
Does he ever use nen after he gets healed? Do they ever specify what he gave up to transform?

Kurapika_and_at_least_10_pairs_of_Scarlet_Eyes.jpg

Chapter 339 is my favorite in the entire series.
His ability to ever use nen again. It seems as if once the nen earned from his transformation was spent, it was effectively gone forever. Pitou says the power he wished for was to accelerate him to age in which he was able to kill him. There seemed to be additionally consequences for accelerating his age.

I don't see a need for a time skip, tho I do wonder who will be the villain of this coming arc. I suppose it's likely going to be Pariston Hill, but what capacity.

kirblar

Chapter 339 is my favorite in the entire series.
His ability to ever use Nen again. It seems as if once the Nen spent earned from his transformation was spent, it was effectively gone forever. Pitou says the power he wished for was to accelerate him to age in which he was able to kill him. There seemed to be additionally consequences for accelerating his age.

I don't see a need for a time skip, tho I do wonder who will be the villain of this coming arc. I suppose it's likely going to be Pariston Hill, but what capacity.
Seemed pretty clear that Pariston isn't actually a villain. He just wanted to win because it was a fun game to him (and to make sure HIS choice actually got the seat.)

Azure J

I don't see a time skip happening as the next chapter unfolds but I wouldn't be surprised if one took place in a few chapters' time. That said, I'm extremely curious to see how the dynamics between our main quartet will change given Killua's new responsibilities towards Alluka, Leorio Leorio-ing, and Kurapika being knee deep in some shady shit. At the very least I see Kill coming back or having more plot relevance after a short "Gon Only, Final Destination" excursion. Alluka's ties to the Dark Continent will most certainly make the two of them somewhat relevant when we're deeper into that plot element, but the other two seem like they'll be gone for a bit longer.

Also, as I mentioned in the Smash thread, Gon totally hit Pitou with the Sacred Combo.

Lulubop

Seemed pretty clear that Pariston isn't actually a villain. He just wanted to win because it was a fun game to him (and to make sure HIS choice actually got the seat.)

I'm pretty sure his alignment is extremely questionable. I don't think they're going to have some sorta weird creatures from the Dark continent as villains again, thorough perhaps there are indigenous people.

kirblar

I don't see a time skip happening as the next chapter unfolds but I wouldn't be surprised if one took place in a few chapters' time. That said, I'm extremely curious to see how the dynamics between our main quartet will change given Killua's new responsibilities towards Alluka, Leorio Leorio-ing, and Kurapika being knee deep in some shady shit. At the very least I see Kill coming back or having more plot relevance after a short "Gon Only, Final Destination" excursion. Alluka's ties to the Dark Continent will most certainly make the two of them somewhat relevant when we're deeper into that plot element, but the other two seem like they'll be gone for a bit longer.

Also, as I mentioned in the Smash thread, Gon totally hit Pitou with the Sacred Combo.
With everyone in town for the election, I wonder if Gon/Ging end up recruiting a crew partially composed of some of the secondary characters.

Top Bottom