• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: Destiny 2 underperforms, 60%+ drop from D1

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nah, simply a situation of the pot calling the kettle black
Hahaha sure man, what do I have do with titanfall beyond the avatar what does titanfall have to do with destiny? Did I create it or actively promote it against destiny? I mean you can have check of my post history if you want.

This is a paper thin straw man you created to divert away attention from a pointless argument about a video game your waaaaaay too personally invested in.

It'a sorta rare to see someone revert to that of all thingsm

void666

Banned
Ten years from now we will be playing Destiny 4 and people will still whine about Destiny 1.
"But Bungie lied to us!!"

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Ouch, sounds like it bombed. To be expected considering it looks the same as D1.

We don't have digital sales yet correct? There is also a huge platform launching next month.

I don't think you can say BOMBA yet.

I don't get the people in here driveby posting shit about hoping the game fails, there are people that REALLY enjoy Destiny and the game. Why would want that to be ruined for them? as a consumer you can choose not to participate if you don't like it.

the team based mentality we have for games and game companies and hardware is so crazy.

Hahaha sure man, what do I have do with titanfall beyond the avatar what does titanfall have to do with destiny? Did I create it or actively promote it against destiny? I mean you can have check of my post history if you want.

This is a paper thin straw man you created to divert away attention from a pointless argument about a video game your waaaaaay too personally invested in.

It'a sorta rare to see someone revert to that of all thingsm

Just sayin' you must have a short term memory. The hype surrounding T1 that was followed by the wet fart that game launched with and the dev basically disappearing until T2 (one little horde mode wasn't going to fix that game's problems) IMO is worse than Destiny's launch. Not trying to divert. Merely making a comparison between two formerly legendary devs making a transition and one doing it more successfully than the other.

As will all things popular, reactionary and special snowflakes will waste no time pointing out how the game not being the GOAT right out of the gate is an immense failure, and the cause of their current woes.

RMI

Banned
surprising to see the sales drop off in europe and japan. I thought people were hyped for this game. Maybe they are waiting for the inevitable GOTY/compilation edition that includes all the DLC. I know the was finally content complete a few years after release, haha.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Not surprised that sales are down a bit in other countries.

Going to be absolutely massive in NA though.

(Plus, digital is more than likely up quite a bit from D1 and there's a PC release coming.)

gdt

Goddamn. These Destiny 2 drops are so surprising to me. Bummer.
I'm waiting for the PC version, impatiently.

Skytylz

Banned
Either they are hung up on the scummy shader practice (which is legit) or they just part of the crowd that Destiny gets under the skin for no apparent reason (maybe they are still mad about $60 they spent 3 years ago).

Agreed, from the TTK on Destiny 1 was sublime. Before that I still loved it but they had some poor quality of life design choices. I just don't see them undoing that damage with D2 through word of mouth. They are going to miss a couple million in sales compared to D1 and I don't think word of mouth can make that up. Maybe PC community will, but console sales won't ever reach D1 heights.

Successful games influence the industry. It's not really surprising people don't want a game they don't like causing other games to be like it. Also, I have a little extra disdain for Destiny after people were saying TTK made it good. It was still the same bad game I played in the beta for however many hours I played after TTK came out.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
I played the beta and to be honest I cant see anything that's gonna get me to buy it day 1 on PC, maybe when both expansion are out and comes packaged with the base game

If that's the case the game is not for you. Destiny is not a story driven game with content that you play through and experience. The campaign is a means to an end.

The game is basically Phantasy Star, Diablo etc.

you play the content over and over with different modifiers trying to get armor and weapons to drop.

that's it. You play with friends and have fun and shoot stuff.

jelly

Maybe people aren't into buying games with paid DLC more than before. Companies are using many revenue streams so consumers may just be waiting for a complete edition, price drop or simply put, they are playing other games and don't care for Destiny.

I don't like the GaaS, so maybe.

I think its become pretty obvious that Destiny 2 is not a GaaS once people realized with the Bright Engrams are. There are no advantages, you can buy Destiny 2 right now and buy $10,000 worth of the eververse engrams and you will still be level 1 with nothing....you will have some sweet dance moves though

Scuffed

I have it coming for pc but I got to admit that it being out already for consoles has started to kill the hype for me a little. I don't even know how I'll feel when October rolls around I mean I thought it played like a dream on pc and was really excited but all the coverage for it has definitely affected my hype levels.

Symbiotx

Not surprised destiny 2 feels more like an expansion pack for me.

Jesus, can we not do this again?

Even people who are playing are saying that.

No they aren't. I play it and it's definitely a full sequel. Most people that say this shit haven't even played it.

Ouch, sounds like it bombed. To be expected considering it looks the same as D1.

No it does not look the same. If you actually played it, you would see it looks so much better. Either that or you forgot what D1 actually looks like.

I'm out of this thread. It's just the usual stupid Destiny hate. So sick of it.

lt519

Successful games influence the industry. It's not really surprising people don't want a game they don't like causing other games to be like it. Also, I have a little extra disdain for Destiny after people were saying TTK made it good. It was still the same bad game I played in the beta for however many hours I played after TTK came out.

What in particular did you not like about it? Just curious. For Destiny fans TTK was a revelation on what the game really should have been from launch. It was filled to the brim with neat content, quality of life improvements, and a fantastic raid. TTK was really a fix for people that claimed "I didn't like Destiny 1 because of the grind and poor quality of life mechanics," it was never going to fix people that just disliked the game play. Same with Destiny 2. It is still the same game, just streamlined experience.

I think its become pretty obvious that Destiny 2 is not a GaaS once people realized with the Bright Engrams are. There are no advantages, you can buy Destiny 2 right now and buy $10,000 worth of the eververse engrams and you will still be level 1 with nothing....you will have some sweet dance moves though

Just got the exotic Table Flip emote, sooooo good.

Mikey Jr.

I am having a GREAT time with Destiny 2.

Having said that, it's Destiny 1.5.

I put 40 hours so far. It's Destiny 1.5. I don't care what anyone tells me.

I was expecting some drop in sales after Destiny 1, though maybe not to this extent.

Destiny 1 was both a swan song for last Gen and part of the arrival of this Gen (arrival like Gears 1 was for the 360 gen. This system is here and is firing on all cylinders). It was hyped as a once in a (console) generation event!

I also feel that also was vague enough in what it was that people read what they wanted into it. Sure it was a shooter, but also loot, and rpg, and epic story, and multiplayer, and and and... there was just enough and just not enough shown to lead one to believe it was whatever you wanted.

In short it was a perfect stoem of hype! This led to the astronomical sales it received, more than it deserved, though it still deserved a lot. It punched above its weight. Then when people saw what it truly was it turned out to be not what everyone wanted, just what a large number of people wanted.

Destiny 2s sales turn out to be Destiny punching at its weight. It's no longer the generational event, "just" a normal large AAA game launch. Maybe even dampened a bit due to the backlash of its predecessor in some group.

Alienous

I'm glad that people don't seem to mindlessly purchases sequels. As mentioned in the UK sales thread both Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed saw sales declines after mediocre entries, so it does actually seem that you need to make good games to maintain sales momentum. Hopefully publishers take note.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I was expecting some drop in sales after Destiny 1, though maybe not to this extent.

Destiny 1 was both a swan song for last Gen and part of the arrival of this Gen (arrival like Gears 1 was for the 360 gen. This system is here and is firing on all cylinders). It was hyped as a once in a (console) generation event!

I also feel that also was vague enough in what it was that people read what they wanted into it. Sure it was a shooter, but also loot, and rpg, and epic story, and multiplayer, and and and... there was just enough and just not enough shown to lead one to believe it was whatever you wanted.

In short it was a perfect stoem of hype! This led to the astronomical sales it received, more than it deserved, though it still deserved a lot. It punched above its weight. Then when people saw what it truly was it turned out to be not what everyone wanted, just what a large number of people wanted.

Destiny 2s sales turn out to be Destiny punching at its weight. It's no longer the generational event, "just" a normal large AAA game launch. Maybe even dampened a bit due to the backlash of its predecessor in some group.

This isn't going to be the case when North American sales are released.

The launch is going to be massive.

Dynasty8

I am having a GREAT time with Destiny 2.

Having said that, it's Destiny 1.5.

I put 40 hours so far. It's Destiny 1.5. I don't care what anyone tells me.

Ok, then with that mentality, Gears of War 3 is actually Gears of War 2.5. Uncharted 3 is actually Uncharted 2.5. Halo 3 is just Halo 2.5.

MTC100

Banned
There are two possible reasons:

1. People were disappointed by Destiny 1
2. The PS4 crowd just doesn't care

-Also the novelty is gone, now that they have played Destiny 1, which brings us again to the first reason why they didn't buy the sequel as often as the predecessor.

I loved destiny 1 played the hell of it for like 5 month. Im super burned out with the game. It felt like a second job with all the things that you had to do to get the best gear. Thats why I didnt get the second 2. You already got my money from the first game, bungie!

I think this has probably hit the nail on the head.

It's a time consuming game. Juggling work, kids and relationships, plus other games and hobbies is going to leave little time for this, and after playing the first, a fair few will skip it also, especially the people who like to play solo.

Only 50% of people attempted the end game content of Destiny, whether the other 50% come back remains to be seen.

KodaRuss

I personally dont think they did a good enough job of selling the game or at least adding features that would sell the game.

A new class, ship battles (at least doing something with your ship) and or a focus on the story (its good) would have been big and maybe showing a little more of how the game is different. The narrative was more of the same but better (which it is very much so) but that isnt going to bring people back that felt burned by the first game.

I personally dont think they did a good enough job of selling the game or at least adding features that would sell the game.

A new class, ship battles (at least doing something with your ship) and or a focus on the story (its good) would have been big and maybe showing a little more of how the game is different. The narrative was more of the same but better (which it is very much so) but that isnt going to bring people back that felt burned by the first game.

You might be on to something. I like D2, a lot. I've been having a blast playing it with friends. However it feels more of the same with amazing qol changes

Well, from the chatter early in the OT, I would have to say Failsafe is the D2 waifu....

Which one? Evil Failsafe or Evil Failsafe?

PooBone

75% drop is significant.

I'd say Destiny 1 was about 25% of the game I expected, so this sounds about right. Hopefully US numbers reflect something similar. Too much recycled content, mechanics, a dumb campaign, locked social events further into the game, a priority over DLC release schedules and maximizing profit over making your game varied and fun..... no thanks. If anything's gonna teach them a lesson, sales numbers are it.

EDIT: I also wonder how many of those people are waiting for the PC version.

lt519

I think the Beta really helped D1, it was 25% of the game which people didn't realize at the time, but the Beta was amazing.

D2 beta all anyone could think was "Yup it's Destiny alright." It either reaffirmed you still disliked or still liked the game. I'm not sure it picked up many new fans.

I think the beta also had a negative effect. No loot, mostly same enemies from Destiny 1, strike wasn't anything spectacular, very slow charges on all abilities and supers. PVP was much improved in my opinion from D1, but I think it is a fact the majority of Destiny players play for PvE.
The beta was a disaster and put off all of my friends. I'm the only one that actually bought it out of the five of us.

I have it coming for pc but I got to admit that it being out already for consoles has started to kill the hype for me a little. I don't even know how I'll feel when October rolls around I mean I thought it played like a dream on pc and was really excited but all the coverage for it has definitely affected my hype levels.

I appreciate the PC delay so they can "get it right" but yeah, all of the podcast and message board discussion will be done regarding new discovery and stuff while PC players will be catching up.

Plus, it's a few days after FE Warriors and a few days right before odyssey so will I even give a shit?

seems unlikely

KageMaru

Why would this be good?

I'm hoping this teaches Bungie some lessons on respecting us consumers. They pulled some horrible shit with Destiny 1 and until they prove to not repeat those same mistakes I won't be supporting this game.

Seriously what did Destiny do to you people? Why is a well reviewd game that a lot of people are enjoying selling less a good thing to you?

They got in bed with the devil, charged $60 for maybe $30 worth of content, centered RNG around grinding & and repetition, cut features due to lack of content to pad out playtimes, and followed up by overpriced "expansions".

They went from being one of the most innovative studios that packed their games with content to a sad shell of their former selves looking for ways to bleed gamers for money.

It's coo to root against good games now?

It's not like the game will fail. They will be fine. I just hope if they do experience a drop in sales, they look to see why and not repeat past mistakes in the future.

We don't have digital sales yet correct? There is also a huge platform launching next month.

I don't think you can say BOMBA yet.

I don't get the people in here driveby posting shit about hoping the game fails, there are people that REALLY enjoy Destiny and the game. Why would want that to be ruined for them? as a consumer you can choose not to participate if you don't like it.

the team based mentality we have for games and game companies and hardware is so crazy.

US sales will be physical plus digital versus physical. If there is a decline, it will paint a pretty clear picture.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Just sayin' you must have a short term memory. The hype surrounding T1 that was followed by the wet fart that game launched with and the dev basically disappearing until T2 (one little horde mode wasn't going to fix that game's problems) IMO is worse than Destiny's launch. Not trying to divert. Merely making a comparison between two formerly legendary devs making a transition and one doing it more successfully than the other.

As will all things popular, reactionary and special snowflakes will waste no time pointing out how the game not being the GOAT right out of the gate is an immense failure, and the cause of their current woes.
Who cares? This litterally has nothing to do with this thread. The only reason your even bring it is because I have a titanfall avatar. That's the entire extent of your argument. Literally all there is. There's a reason why such arguments are frowned up here.

Which is why I noted how odd it is you even brought it up.

Anyway. US as often will be the big telltale sign of this games response.

Koobion

Really sad how some people seem so bent on this falling. Goddamn, your time could be spent so much more productively. You could say the same thing to me, but I'm waiting for my dog to go to the bathroom, so ner.

Top Bottom