• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Amazon receive a faulty batch of PS4 Consoles, or was it poor packaging?

Well it seems like a lot of people are getting fucked PS4's, especially from Amazon. Honestly I wish I was making this up but fuck it makes me feel a tiny bit better not receiving my PS4.

not really
I don't know if it's Amazon specifically though. That Hi11zone guy got one of the Taco Bell ones I think and I saw a gaffer say he got a defective one from CostCo.

All this doom and gloom. Sucks if you got a duff unit. It would be good if there was a "My PS4 works great thread" so we could get an idea of people on GAF who are very happy. I'm curious about numbers, still two weeks wait for me in Europe and I'm assuming the failure rate is well within acceptable levels.
I've got two pre ordered and one is for a Christmas present, think I'll open it and test it first.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
5 star: (239)
4 star: (21)
3 star: (9)
2 star: (11)
1 star: (204) - Most of the complaints were of broken PS4

0.4%? Really?

Edit: Looks like all of them so far
A huge percentage of 1's are from non-verified percentages.

As for amazon, I received my system with a ton of padding on top, but zero on the bottom. The UPS driver dropped it on my front porch so loudly, it made me jump. And yet, despite all of this, my system survived the day and I am extremely pleased.

I guess I need to write a review on amazon.

I'm guessing most of the reviews for PS4 and the upcoming Xbox One will be fake. It's sad.

I also think websites reporting on isolated incidents is a bit premature. Maybe someone should contact Sony/Amazon for the facts and a rough idea of the current complaints/return rate.

This speculation is helping no-one and all it's going to result in is pathetic fan boy wars.
Sony acknowledged the issue and put out a concrete number though. Its not isolated from that point. Its something they know what the root cause is and can give an estimation what is being effected.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if it's Amazon specifically though. That Hi11zone guy got one of the Taco Bell ones I think and I saw a gaffer say he got a defective one from CostCo.

Come on though - that guy yanked his power cable during an update that froze, and then failed to perform the most basic of troubleshooting steps. He kept holding the power button while the power was on, then took the console apart, then finally got back to safe mode and continued to royally fuck his console up by hard power cycling it and randomly abusing the power button.

That moron is an outlier and not to be considered in this discussion. Decent, intelligent GAFers that won't abuse their systems really shouldn't be compared to that dolt.

Vooduu

not to be that guy. but do you have a proof of this ? screen shot,, email etc

Only proof I have showing I actually did talk to customer service through the phone.

h1zu2dF.png

unGjs1R.png

sono

If you said they shipped 1,000,000 consoles, Sony estimate that 0.04% is a normal failure rate which means 400 units ballpark

Of those that Amazon shipped and had hardware issues and customers took the trouble to feedback to Amazon is 214 at time of writing

It would make the 400 seem like a low figure

All this doom and gloom. Sucks if you got a duff unit. It would be good if there was a "My PS4 works great thread" so we could get an idea of people on GAF who are very happy. I'm curious about numbers, still two weeks wait for me in Europe and I'm assuming the failure rate is well within acceptable levels.

The only real way right now is the game threads and the people streaming their games, it sucks that there are indeed DOA consoles but if you've got one that works you were probably playing most of the day, like I did once it finally arrived.

As for amazon, I received my system with a ton of padding on top, but zero on the bottom. The UPS driver dropped it on my front porch so loudly, it made me jump. And yet, despite all of this, my system survived the day and I am extremely pleased.

The way people have been talking about UPS the past two days, it's like UPS put out a memo telling their delivery people to break all the PS4s.
If you said they shipped 1,000,000 consoles, Sony estimate that 0.04% is a normal failure rate which means 400 units ballpark

Of those that Amazon shipped and had hardware issues and customers took the trouble to feedback to Amazon is 214 at time of writing

.4%, not .04%.

Neff

Nothing to do with the fact that the internet and people's presence is several orders of magnitude larger than it was back at the 360 launch?

Relevant to this thread:
1aLSPS0.jpg

I can see how this is a scary situation for anyone owning or waiting to own one, but this is kind of unprecedented. I've never seen tech on Amazon, factoring in the discrepancy of satisfied absentees against protesting dissatisfied customers, that's almost 50/50 split between factory fresh and paperweights. Ever.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Only proof I have showing I actually did talk to customer service through the phone.

(cut images)

Good on you for pursuing this - you deserve resolution

I'm quite curious to see if Amazon/other retailers end up providing real proof or passing the buck to Sony, and if the latter how Sony responds.

danwarb

As technology gets more complicated and advanced, expecting anything to be "plug and play" is unrealistic.

Nah. Compare your PC to the one you had 10 years ago. Manually installing drivers for everything was not very plug & play. If it's so advanced, it should sort its own shit out.

Billen

Banned
Amazon just told me one of the reasons my order was delayed was because of a manufacturing error and defect that they are investigating. Apparently people were returning their consoles and there has been too many defects and errors that Sony has told them to hold their shipments which explains why so few "stragglers" have been delayed since Friday. I don't know if this is bullshit or not but this is what two supervisors just told me.

Sounds interesting. IF this is the case and IF they hold to investigate, then it is a clear improvement over my last console that burned, where the company claimed there were no errors.

Still big fucking IFs though. Personally, I am hardly convinced. To clarify, I don't think they would tell some special people over at Amazon which happens to tell one individual. Sounds more likely that they were full of crap. :D

imt558

Banned

Fucking trolls!

One of the comments :

- Xbox One is so much better
- Heading back to Xbox One - where they have far more care towards their customers, better hardware, better games, better software etc

Why he bought PS4 anyway?

Didnt they revise to 0.4?

Rubiks Cube

Neo Member
Amazon UK packaging is always horrendous. They just drop the product in a thin box and put some paper or an air bag on one size to roughly fill the gap.

Kosma

Banned
Sounds interesting. IF this is the case and IF they hold to investigate, then it is a clear improvement over my last console that burned, where the company claimed there were no errors.

Still big fucking IFs though. Personally, I am hardly convinced. To clarify, I don't think they would tell some special people over at Amazon which happens to tell one individual. Sounds more likely that they were full of crap. :D

Amazon would say anything to shift blame for being late duuuuh

Vooduu

well.. if this is true about what they said. then we have a big issue here.

Yea they said it's clearing up already. This is just a precaution. What I really meant when I post this is that Sony, amazon, or both caught on early to the problem and are trying to resolve/did it.

Pezking

Amazon just told me one of the reasons my order was delayed was because of a manufacturing error and defect that they are investigating. Apparently people were returning their consoles and there has been too many defects and errors that Sony has told them to hold their shipments which explains why so few "stragglers" have been delayed since Friday. I don't know if this is bullshit or not but this is what two supervisors just told me.

Well, that's one way to make relentless complainers finally shut up! ;-)

Rocky

Banned
Fucking trolls!

One of the comments :

- Xbox One is so much better
- Heading back to Xbox One - where they have far more care towards their customers, better hardware, better games, better software etc

Why he bought PS4 anyway?

Lol, how can he "head back" to Xbox One when it doesn't launch until next week? Obvious trolls.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Let me provide some "oh shit" fodder - what if Amazon wants to side-step any blame by spouting this rhetoric and the consoles were damaged in shipping?

Then it's probably amazon's fault for only placing bubble wrap ontop of the console and none at the bottom

They can't side-step that bullshit

Vaiim

I'm guessing most of the reviews for PS4 and the upcoming Xbox One will be fake. It's sad.

I also think websites reporting on isolated incidents is a bit premature. Maybe someone should contact Sony/Amazon for the facts and a rough idea of the current complaints/return rate.

This speculation is helping no-one and all it's going to result in is pathetic fan boy wars.

Isn't this like the 4th time you've posted in this thread, blaming the negative reviews on fan boys? The majority of the negative reviews are verified, at most 25% of negative reviews are fake. So if fan boy reviews concern you, you should be more worried about all the 5star reviews on day 1...

Vooduu

Then it's probably amazon's fault for only placing bubble wrap ontop of the console and none at the bottom

They can't side-step that bullshit

More like Sony. They have no bubble wrap or foam inside the PS4 boxes themselves from what I've seen. They just used Taco Bell boxes; straight cardboard.

Coincidentally, the image that was posted earlier on Microsoft's FB Page has just updated.

msftsonyps4_zps5ff4d11f.png

Billen

Banned
Amazon would say anything to shift blame for being late duuuuh

Nah, but since there are humans working there and they tend to be victims of rumors to the same extent as everyone else then it is a possibility. Putting that against "This is the only place in the world where we hear about this", then...well... :D

isual

foreals though. now that there's this HDMI port brouhaha....I'm very careful with the hdmi port; be careful to not accidentally push down on the HDMI cable while its plugged it. seems so fragile that it could snip off especially since that hdmi head is pretty big..

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Not really proof of anything other than Amazon's acknowledgement that Sony is looking into the issue. Don't read too much into this, but this situation does seem like a mess (maybe it's just normal for launch or maybe not, we wont know the full extent for a little while)

ob3DwA5.jpg

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
More like Sony. They have no bubble wrap or foam inside the PS4 boxes themselves from what I've seen. They just used Taco Bell boxes; straight cardboard.

Quoted for truth - although, in Sony's defense, they do have a packaging method that prevents direct contact between any one of the four sides of the console.

My Amazon shipment also arrived with tons of packaging on the top and sides and none on the bottom.

Vooduu

Not really proof of anything other than Amazon's acknowledgement that Sony is looking into the issue. Don't read too much into this, but this situation does seem like a mess (maybe it's just normal for launch or maybe not, we wont know the full extent for a little while)

ob3DwA5.jpg

Quoted for more proof and truth. So now I'm guaranteed a PS4 that will work yet will never receive. Hilarious.

PJV3

ob3DwA5.jpg

Apparently?

How would this happen without the media catching on, everybody at Amazon knows about it. Production stopping isn't easy to hide I would've thought.

I guess I should actually buy a game for my PS4 and stress test it...

I really hope the Xbox doesn't have these issues or rumors. I'd probably quit gaming for a bit out of bitterness.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Quoted for more proof and truth. So now I'm guaranteed a PS4 that will work yet will never receive. Hilarious.

I'd love to see something from Sony about this rather than nameless (don't even start about the chat names) Amazon reps spouting reasons.

Not saying your predicament isn't sincere and annoying as all hell - I'm looking further down the line though.

Vooduu

I don't get what's being said there. Sony has stopped production while they work on the issue but your shipment was delayed?

Sony told Amazon to stop shipping PS4s until they can figure out why everyone is having issues and shit. Amazon rep told me over the phone that they're clearing this up though and confirming some shipments to go.

As I said before and initially, I have no idea if this is bullshit or not but this what two supervisors told me. Just take everything with a grain of salt.

Edit: going to bed.

Top Bottom