• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celine

Sega has like four to five (or more) times as much cash on hand as Ubisoft.

They're really not in a bad place!
Yeah, however most of the income of Sega Sammy comes from the Pachinko division, contrary to ubisoft.

Consumer division (videogame is part of it) have lost money overall during the past 7 years.

catmincer

How actually successful was the Total War series? I've always thought they were a somewhat niche game and that it was only a matter of time before CA was shutdown.

Anecdotal of course but a lot of people on my Steam list own/play their games.

diamount

Banned
How actually successful was the Total War series? I've always thought they were a somewhat niche game and that it was only a matter of time before CA was shutdown.

You thought wrong. They wouldn't double Rome 2's budget and the amount of people working on it otherwise.

Sega considers it one of their core franchises along with Sonic and Football Manager and are expanding Creative Assembly because it's one of their most profitable studios

SEGA got Relic?!

yes.gif

gif_clint_yes350.gif

126331_o.gif

GamerSoul

They also own most of their own IP.

Randy Pitchford is a pretty excellent businessman.

Heh, I always thought it was pretty weird that the 2K logo comes up when I start up Borderlands. I have bought both in the span of less than 30 days. They really do have something special there.

Omikaru

I didn't either until they said it in an interview once, but I imagine Gearbox is very wealthy now thanks to it.

This actually makes me very happy. It always breaks my heart to see really talented developers struggling to get deals and gain financial independence (like Double Fine and Obsidian), so it's always great to see when other developers are well rewarded for great games.

As for Sega possibly taking Relic... well I'll be damned. That's a better outcome than I'd imagined! Sega have shown that they know how to manage a successful PC studio very well, and Relic's talent won't be wasted or abused there as I feel it would in one of the bigger publishers like EA or Activision.

Its one of the only PC game franchises you can actually buy in bricks and mortar stores in the UK.

The others are WoW, The Sims and Football Manager.

It's huge in Europe.

Game Guru

It is successful enough that it is one of the four franchises that Sega has decided to keep in retail. The others are Football Manager, Aliens, and Sonic the Hedgehog. There is a reason why Sega integrated Football Manager and Total War into the rest of the Sega pantheon with the PC version of Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, you know.

Vade

Having no debt in the business world is generally not considered 'good' since now shareholders will be more anxious about wanted dividends. They will assume the company is not investing to increase its size, scope ect. so they want a return.

Obviously you need to have controlled debt, but not having any debt can be a red flag to investors that are looking for growth generation and not just a safe dividend return.

Lombax

Banned
Crazy awesome "news" about Relic. Sorry have not had a chance to read all the pages of the thread. Any word yet on who WB is going after?

Duxxy3

Sega has been under the radar for the last couple years. Making titles with more reasonable budgets and seemingly doing ok.

Derrick01

Banned
Sega tends to be a rather confused company.

Aint that the truth. We still don't have any word of a Yakuza 5 date. They do this to us every time!

DTKT said:

They're constantly on the Steam charts and when they come out they're in the top 5 usually. Even now Empire still charts pretty well and that's years old.

Also Sega upped Rome 2's budget by 3 times over shogun 2's, so they're very confident in it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Having no debt in the business world is generally not considered 'good' since now shareholders will be more anxious about wanted dividends. They will assume the company is not investing to increase its size, scope ect. so they want a return.

Obviously you need to have controlled debt, but not having any debt can be a red flag to investors that are looking for growth generation and not just a safe dividend return.

Activision runs dividends these days.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I would like Sega to take Relic. It will be a trifecta of Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, and Relic.

At least the dynamics of the team won't change too much regarding business.

Is it possible that the reason why Activision Blizzard has no debt is because of Vivendi wanting to sell them off last year? Would that have made much of a difference for whoever was interested in buying the company?

Or has Activision Blizzard been debt free for a longer time?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is it possible that the reason why Activision Blizzard has no debt is because of Vivendi wanting to sell them off last year? Would that have made much of a difference for whoever was interested in buying the company?

Or has Activision Blizzard been debt free for a longer time?
Bobby Kotick brags about having no debt fairly often, so I would say it's just what he likes to do.

ape2man

Yeah, however most of the income of Sega Sammy comes from the Pachinko division, contrary to ubisoft.

Consumer division (videogame is part of it) have lost money overall during the past 7 years.

i dont get this. Why invest in shit that makes no profit for 7 years.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yea, Activision would never go for Relic when they are the sister company to Blizzard. Hell, this is why they sold Massive and World in Conflict to Ubisoft.

Decado

They only sell about 600K or so, but they're very profitable and constantly exceed Sega's expectations.

As such they are now gaining a second strategy team and (for a long time) have been gaining a console team to make an Alien game like Dead Space. This one seems to be cross-gen.

They're also now one of the largest developers in the UK at something like 200-250 people.

they need to keep their focus on the PC space. Their console games have been shit.

Yawnier

Banned
is activision seperate from activision-blizzard? because WoW has still got to be making billions a year.

World of Warcraft is most definitely still making money, despite it (I believe) very slowly dropping in the number of subscriptions over the past several years.

It probably will still continue to make money for them some years down the road from now, I would think.

Tensketch

This is exciting stuff, Sega possibly owning Relic for a start is great news.

I really want WB to get Vigil too.

Anyone got any idea when this auction ends and when we'll have the results?

I think Relic is a better RTS company then Blizzard but if sega can make money off relic and relic can keep making games i like i'll be happy.

They certainly make more fun RTS, although CoH is still unbalanced 6 years later, and each expansion breaks the balance again in new and exciting ways.

Just got this response in my twitter feed:

qXBaKUh.jpg

hrmmm

LhWml1Q.gif

EXCELLENT.

I think Sega is probably about as good as it gets for Relic, if indeed they end up there. Sega seems to have done right by Creative Assembly and both of those teams under Sega would give Sega a lot of nice strategy franchises plus Warhammer. Very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom