• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

Rubius

"We do not intend to have a dedicated healer role."

There goes my interest for the game.

That's because every class can do everything. If you want a Barbarian buffer, just go and make a barbarian buffer. Classes mean nothing except you placement in the passive skill tree and the starting stats.

For people playing Witch or spell caster in general I guess, are you focusing mainly on one element or multiple. I've been trying a fire/lighting one and was using the skill tree builder. Focusing on the two spells seems to require a lot of points I could be using for cast speed or mana/mana regen and defenses in general, so I am just wondering how you guys have been building them and am I putting too much emphasis on spell damage.

Witch Build

I would always go for defense over damage. Witches have access to Chaos Inoculation but it has been changed for open beta. If you are going for witch, go for energy shield, lots of it.

Fire is the worst element right now too.

Justin

Any examples of some crazy pet builds?

Here is the standard summoner build. This build uses all the minion nodes available. From there there are several ways you can go. I like the skills that increase aura radius so I can give my summons energy shields easier.

I would always go for defense over damage. Witches have access to Chaos Inoculation but it has been changed for open beta. If you are going for witch, go for energy shield, lots of it.

Fire is the worst element right now too.

Alright, thanks for the advice I'll look into different build options later. How important are the mana passive tree skills in this game(especially later on)? I have only made it to like level 20 so far, but with the way flasks work I don't have too many mana problems now.

Justin

Alright, thanks for the advice I'll look into different build options later. How important are the mana passive tree skills in this game(especially later on)? I have only made it to like level 20 so far, but with the way flasks work I don't have too many mana problems now.

When you get later into the game and you want to use 3 or 4 auras mana regen is very important.

Card Boy

Banned
We really need proper pets like a single Wolf/Bear/Raven etc. I think GGG should work on some new Keystones and skill gems. Guild Wars 1 had some of the best Pet builds ever.

We really need proper pets like a single Wolf/Bear/Raven etc. I think GGG should work on some new Keystones and skill gems. Guild Wars 1 had some of the best Pet builds ever.

Pets in GW1 were broken overpowered for PVE. Not sure if that's a good thing to go by.

It's amazing how good this game looks today. People made fun of it when the trailers and shit first released. Now it looks like the game D3 should have been ;_;

Justin

Kipp is currently experimenting with stupid skill combos revolving around the remote mine in a effort to see if anything is effective enough to bypass the duel totem nerf.

5 frost wall remote mines and 5 lightning strike mines are hilarious.

http://www.twitch.tv/nl_kripp

Rubius

lol, what game did you think this was? I can understand people having this reaction to GW2, but PoE is a Diablo clone.

Well Diablo 2 did have the Paladin who buffed and healed.
I do wonder if you can make a pure buffer for runs with groups. What buffing skill do we have in the game outside of the totems?

Justin

I do wonder if you can make a pure buffer for runs with groups. What buffing skill do we have in the game outside of the totems?

You have auras just like paladins in D2
http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Aura

Also as previously mentioned there are some passive skill nodes that could help. In the center area of the passive tree there is a keystone node called conduit that shares your power, frenzy or endurance charges with party members. Charges are temporary buffs for health, attack/cast speed and crit chance that are triggered by using specific skills. Also in the center are some nice nodes that increase the area of your auras.

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Charge

Rubius

It's amazing how good this game looks today. People made fun of it when the trailers and shit first released. Now it looks like the game D3 should have been ;_;

One game I'm really excited about is Grim Dawn, the spiritual successor of Titan Quest.
2012-03-01_forgottencellar03_lrg.jpg

A more traditional ARPG, with offline and all that. its actually a bad thing for me that Path of Exile is pure online. I work 6 month a year in a place where I have a latency of 6000. Cant play PoE like that.

Hmmm, this build of the week is probably the most party friendly build.

It's a tri-aura, triple charge, wand Marauder with the skill to give party charges when gaining one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqwdiOdYfkI&hd=1

And there's a healing totem that's kinda okay.

A more traditional ARPG, with offline and all that. its actually a bad thing for me that Path of Exile is pure online. I work 6 month a year in a place where I have a latency of 6000. Cant play PoE like that.

Well, it's hard to have both. Torchlight 2 is practically destroyed by its offline. Online community is practically pointless since it's so easy to hack items.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm sure Yoshichan will go for it. I believe he finished D3 in one 12.5hr sitting .
I won't. The thing I'm mostly looking forward to in PoE is exploring and experimenting the diversity of gem-combinations and passive skills (and of course, min-maxing everything while I'm at it). I was never interested in leveling to 99 in vanilla D2; I'd rather get a character to 85 and then farm gear until I've got enough stuff to support a new godlike-character.

It sound stupid, the whole point of having classes in the first place is that they do different things.

Because they start out different and can easily reach certain passive skill nodes that the player wants to have.

You're not going to see many Marauders with Energy Shield because it's inefficient, yet people are able to make crazy builds regardless. The skill tree is a character builder's dream.

Rubius

It sound stupid, the whole point of having classes in the first place is that they do different things.

It does different thing. They are in different spot of the passive tree and have different starting stat.
You can have a Witch with two sword or a Templar with a bow. It allow you to be imaginative with your stuff.
What's the point of knowing that the warrior can only do X, Y and Z?

Because they start out different and can easily reach certain passive skill nodes that the player wants to have.

You're not going to see many Marauders with Energy Shield because it's inefficient, yet people are able to make crazy builds regardless. The skill tree is a character builder's dream.

I do wonder how they will handle the addition of new passives. Will they expend on the outer ring or redesign the whole thing with a reset?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh, they are different because if you look at the passive tree:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/

You can clearly see that going from a ranger to a templar would require so many "filler" points and it would just end up being a shitty build.

For the most part, you choose the best class for your build rather than the best build for your class. I think that's why Marauder tends to work so well with a lot of the crazier concepts.

TGMIII

Classes just define starting stats and your position on the skill tree in PoE. Every "class" is a blank slate in terms of abilities. Obviously it's going to be easier to use strength based skills as a marauder and agility based skills as a shadow but it's fully possible and viable to build a magical spell based marauder, much like I did with my wand+shield freezing pulse marauder.

Classes also affect what skill gems you get as quest rewards, which tend to cater towards certain concepts and stat requirements. If you want to have gems for another class for your character, you'll either need to get them as a random drop or play another class to get the gem as a reward.

Wallach

I'll be there on the 23rd. Been keeping away from this until it soft launches, but I'm still pretty interested in trying it.

docbon

I'll be there on the 23rd. Been keeping away from this until it soft launches, but I'm still pretty interested in trying it.

Sweet. I'll be on too. I really enjoyed the closed beta, but i've been avoiding it since the wipe was fast approaching.

I'd like to try a more group oriented build like that marauder with a few gaffers this time around.

Sweet. I'll be on too. I really enjoyed the closed beta, but i've been avoiding it since the wipe was fast approaching.

I'd like to try a more group oriented build like that marauder with a few gaffers this time around.

Well his wand build only worked well because he had a sick-ass wand drop.

Won't stop you from getting auras and that Charge keystone for any other build.

Wallach

Since I'll be going in blind I'm sure my first character won't be that effective. The only thing I'll be doing for sure is starting with a range-based setup. Not sure if dexterity or intelligence based though.

Edit - doc, how'd the game run during closed beta? My system is starting to get a bit long in the tooth.

docbon

Since I'll be going in blind I'm sure my first character won't be that effective. The only thing I'll be doing for sure is starting with a range-based setup. Not sure if dexterity or intelligence based though.

Edit - doc, how'd the game run during closed beta? My system is starting to get a bit long in the tooth.

Ran a steady 60 fps on my system, though I have a sandy bridge, 8 gigs of ram, and a 6950. It never struck me as an intensive game. If you can run Tera, you should be a-ok.

Daante

Im really interested in this game.

Question for those who played the beta a while.

Can you have fun and "progress" in this game PVE wise if you only have lets say 1-2 hrs/day that you can play? , (obviously i have more spare time in the weekends to put in).

Can you have fun and "progress" in this game PVE wise if you only have lets say 1-2 hrs/day that you can play? , (obviously i have more spare time in the weekends to put in).

I'm not sure but I think you can. Your progress will most likely slow down in the hardest difficulty, but it's nothing too insurmountable and once you get maps you can do something like a map a day.

KKRT00

I've played in 60 fps on C2D 3ghz, R4850, 4gb ram back in the day in 1280x1024 with 4xMSAA. Now on 2500k and GTX 560 i play in 200fps.

People who havent played beta for a long time will be so surprised by Map system and how fun it is :)

jersoc

why would you not? This isn't an mmo. you can play as little or as much as you want. you can make good progress in that time? easily. you'll have plenty of time to clear a few areas and finish quests with 1-2 hours.

Daedalux

Neo Member
I just love this game, it's so smooth.

I was chosen when it was random, but still busted 20€ for the support pack, I just love Kiwis. :D

This is the real Diablo 3 for me, I bought Diablo 3 but when I was chosen for the PoE beta I stopped playing it. :p

syko de4d

I am working on my first char i want to play at the OB.

My Plan is a 2hand Melee, main Attack skills are sweep, leap slam and Heavy Strike. The curse which gives life/mana leech and the curse which increase physical damage. The Aura which gives more Armor and the Aura with Evasion. Enduring Cry for Charges. Blood Rage for frenzy Charges and more life leech. And no idea what totem to use, will see.

Right now my planned build looks like this, when i am around lvl 78-82:

My Build - Klick it

Edit: a little new Version
updated Version

Is this any good? I really did not play much melee in the Beta xD

I am working on my first char i want to play at the OB.

My Plan is a 2hand Melee, main Attack skills are sweep, leap slam and Heavy Strike. The curse which gives life/mana leech and the curse which increase physical damage. The Aura which gives more Armor and the Aura with Evasion. Enduring Cry for Charges. Blood Rage for frenzy Charges and more life leech. And no idea what totem to use, will see.

Right now my planned build looks like this, when i am around lvl 78-82:

My Build - Klick it

Edit: a little new Version
updated Version

Is this any good? I really did not play much melee in the Beta xD

I would try Blood Magic

Go maces. The Armor aura is garbage. I would just run Anger, Grace, and if you have enough intelligence you could get Wrath. With Added Fire damage going off of physical damage, you should have somewhat high fire damage so elemental weapon damage could be useful.

This build probably needs more life so you could probably cut out a few things.

syko de4d

i thought to the armor aura would suck, but it´s look different today than i remembered.

it gives now 30-50% MORE Armor, so 50% added after all the other extra Armor.

For example: 1000 Base Armor + 150% from passive + 50% from Aura = 2500*1.5=3750

If i remember right the aura was way way worse before that, but right now? It makes everything Armor based 50% better like Grace

Blood Magic, i will see. No idea if my mana is enough to use my skills, if i really need it to cast my attacks i will skill it and not use Armor Aura.

edit: and i believe i read that the passive with increase Armor AND Evasion does not really work with Iron Reflexes. Only passive with only Armor or only Evasion will increase your Armor.

KKRT00

@syko de4d
Detonade Dead totem? Or some totem with high freezing chance? You need something that adds to DPS or stun enemies for a short while i think.
BTW 2handed build with sweep can be quite risky on new merciless from what i've seen on Kripp stream. Those mobs hit hard his Shadow :)
I dont know how Blood Rage will be viable as its 4% hp/s, but with high physical damage, % life regen and life leech it could work.

BTW arent Sweep not affected by attack speed? Or i mess it with something else?

V_Arnold

I am thinking about this two characters to make for the start of the open beta:
1) Witch with Energy Shield build, 1hp, with a focus on cold damage+maybe some minions, but now sure about that
2) "Tank" templar with some venture into magic as well. Using shield, melee skills, etc.

I am not sure which should be the better carrier for the other, but we shall see next week, I guess. Maybe the templar is the safer for the start.

Yoshichan

Sweep is not affected by attack speed. They changed that a couple of patches ago.

syko de4d

@syko de4d
Detonade Dead totem? Or some totem with high freezing chance? You need something that adds to DPS or stun enemies for a short while i think.
BTW 2handed build with sweep can be quite risky on new merciless from what i've seen on Kripp stream. Those mobs hit hard his Shadow :)
I dont know how Blood Rage will be viable as its 4% hp/s, but with high physical damage, % life regen and life leech it could work.
mhhh would magic spells totem not be to weak as a 2hand melee? I thought to use one of the normal totems, not the support gem totem. Like the Tank Totem, shockwave or life Reg totem.

And blood rage, yeahe if i lose more life than i get i will not use it but this would not change my build really :)

And the hard hits. I hope the 171% increase Armor and the 50% more armor would help me :O

Sweep is not affected by attack speed. They changed that a couple of patches ago.

??
Sweep at my test char with 15% Attack Speed Passive = 0,86secs per Attack
Without the passive = 0,99secs/attack

Mace with 1,35attacks/sec = 0,86secs per ATtack
Mace with 1,20attacks/sec = 0,96secs per Attack

was it not that way. Before the patches sweep was not affected by attack speed and now it is affected?

Top Bottom