• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 7 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Zutrax

Have you gotten into Italian horror? Stuff like Fulci's stuff would probably be right up your alley. City of the Living Dead and The Beyond particularly so. Torso is a fun little gem I saw last year that is kind of crap but has some amazing sequences particularly the last act.

Also Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness from Carpenter, but you've probably seen those.

I'll check all that out! I've seen Mouth of Madness but not Prince of Darkness. Thanks!

MattyH

My favorite time of the year. Ready for this.

yeah night draws in early pitch black room and horror movies perfect i got a CRT tv a few months back so i might watch a few of the older movies on that just for the nostalgia

Melchiah

I'll check all that out! I've seen Mouth of Madness but not Prince of Darkness. Thanks!

I just watched Prince of Darkness again few weeks ago, and I think it's among the best of Carpenter's movies. It's also a part of his thematic Lovecraft trilogy, along with The Thing and In the Mouth of Madness.

any slasher movie recommendations? I've watched the popular ones, obviously. but I'm in a slasher kinda mood since the Ft13th game release.

I'm not really sure what you define as popular slashers, as that can change depending on how big of a horror fan you are. But here's a few suggestions:

Terror Train
The Prowler
The Burning
Sleepaway Camp
Funhouse
Maniac
My Bloody Valentine (original and remake)
Stage Fright (1987)
Just Before Dawn
Madman
Slumber Party Massacre
Curtains
Death Spa
Scarecrow
Pieces
Chopping Mall

I included some titles I would consider "bigger" movies, just in case you meant the big name killers only. Depending on how accepting you are of the genre's limitations, there's a bunch of fun slashers out there. You could easily build a whole 31 movie list out of them.

I'm not really sure what you define as popular slashers, as that can change depending on how big of a horror fan you are. But here's a few suggestions:

Terror Train
The Prowler
The Burning
Sleepaway Camp
Funhouse
Maniac
My Bloody Valentine (original and remake)
Stage Fright (1987)
Just Before Dawn
Madman
Slumber Party Massacre
Curtains
Death Spa
Scarecrow
Pieces
Chopping Mall

I included some titles I would consider "bigger" movies, just in case you meant the big name killers only. Depending on how accepting you are of the genre's limitations, there's a bunch of fun slashers out there. You could easily build a whole 31 movie list out of them.

I'd throw in The Mutilator. Arrow finally released it uncut last year and it featured some early fx work from Mark Shostrom.

Penguin

Woo

As noted in the horror thread, I'll be diving into the Universal Monster Movies (since never seen any of them) and perhaps some Hammer

An-Det

Best time of the year, I can't wait to wait to get started. I have about 2/3 of my list ready so far, so I'm excited to finally dig in. Been doing this since 2011 (though first full year was 2012) and it's always a lot of fun.

Also definitely bring back the mandatory films next year. Those were always nice as a touchstone for the thread.

Never saw The Mutilator. I've got the Arrow disc, and their release of The Slayer. but I've been saving them for a certain month....

If you like over the top, gory deaths you are in for a treat. Just a warning though the plot, script and general direction are really bad even by slasher standards but the kills more then make up for it.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I'm in again this year. I think this'll be my 4th October in a row watching 31 horror movies. I have a big list this year, but I don't know how many I'll actually get to. I'm planning a lot of rewatches.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
First year I haven't been a lurker. I'm gonna give this a try. Haven't seen any Halloween, Friday the 13, nightmare on elm street, psycho, exorcist, or Texas chainsaw movies other than the originals so i think those should fill up a lot. Also never saw a hell raiser film

Netflix and Amazon downloads are going to carry me through this year! I'm open to any good monster movie suggestions as well. It's Monster Madness!

I'll once again this year enter this thread excited. Then realize I just don't have the time or patience to watch a movie every day.

I'll still lurk the thread for recos though, I tend to watch at 1-2 horror movies every weekend as it is.

Aizo

Banned
I need more must see bests. I've seen too much crap recently. Help me.

I've seen The Thing, Texas Chainsaw, Rosemary's Baby, Suspiria, Phenomena, Halloween 1/2, Alien, Scream, Friday the 13th, Audition, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, The Exorcist, Hellraiser, The Fog, Evil Dead (all), Nightmare on Elm Street, New Nightmare, Return of the Living Dead, Poltergeist, Pet Semetary, Ju-on, Ringu, Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu, Bride of Frankenstein, The Birds, Psycho, Jaws, Carrie, The Omen, The Shining...

So are there any really great ones I still need to see? Not just fine ones, but the fantastic or highly important ones. I don't wanna waste time with more crap like I've seen recently. Preferred languages are Japanese and English.

I'd love to do this and will probably attempt to do so. However, I'm a huge horror fan and have seen an inordinate amount of all the pretty much typically praised films. I'm actually the biggest fan of really fun, garbage, B-Horror Grindhouse stuff, but that's also the hardest sub-genre within horror to actually find anything worthwhile in. I've seen pretty much all the obvious ones (Grindhouse, Evil Dead, Dead Alive, etc.), but does anyone have any really good gems that they've seen of that style that I could add to my list and watch with a group of friends?

You need some Pieces in your life. I would give a description of what to expect but I'll let the tagline sell it. "It's exactly what you think it is."

Also, check out the previous threads for more recommendations. You'd be surprised how many gems you've probably overlooked over the years. It happens to most of us actually.

any slasher movie recommendations? I've watched the popular ones, obviously. but I'm in a slasher kinda mood since the Ft13th game release.

I'll also add:

Maniac (both the original and remake)
Tourist Trap
Nightmares (1980)
High Tension (this one gets a lot of flack due to the twist, but it's still one of my faves)
Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2
The New York Ripper (although that may be more giallo than slasher)
Slaughter High

mjc

I've seen The Thing, Texas Chainsaw, Rosemary's Baby, Suspiria, Phenomena, Halloween 1/2, Alien, Scream, Friday the 13th, Audition, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, The Exorcist, Hellraiser, The Fog, Evil Dead (all), Nightmare on Elm Street, New Nightmare, Return of the Living Dead, Poltergeist, Pet Semetary, Ju-on, Ringu,

Check the previous years threads, there's some good underrated films in there that might still be on Netflix. (Pontypool, etc)

But also be careful to avoid a lot of the trash on Netflix, there's quite of a bit of dogshit horror on there. And I say that as someone who enjoys cheesy schlocky horror from time to time.

Aizo

Banned
I've seen Pontypool. I have Japanese Netflix, so the movie selection is different. So many bad Japanese horror movies hahahahah

Blader

I've seen The Thing, Texas Chainsaw, Rosemary's Baby, Suspiria, Phenomena, Halloween 1/2, Alien, Scream, Friday the 13th, Audition, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, The Exorcist, Hellraiser, The Fog, Evil Dead (all), Nightmare on Elm Street, New Nightmare, Return of the Living Dead, Poltergeist, Pet Semetary, Ju-on, Ringu, Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu, Bride of Frankenstein, The Birds, Psycho, Jaws, Carrie, The Omen, The Shining...

So are there any really great ones I still need to see? Not just fine ones, but the fantastic or highly important ones. I don't wanna waste time with more crap like I've seen recently. Preferred languages are Japanese and English.

Again, I must recommend Black Christmas!

Pumped!

Don't sleep on IT COMES AT NIGHT. Saw this last weekend and was floored, absolutely loved it. I recommend it if you've been on the fence.

I'm in for the first time. Been a horror fan all of my 30+ years. I've actually watched a bunch of horror in the past couple of months, wish I had waited on some of it now! Just saw Lake Mungo for the first time last night.

Some questions while putting together a sure-to-be-enormous list:

1. Best way to see The Audition in the US? Cheapest price on Amazon and eBay hovers around $50.
  2. Shudder: worth it? How's the selection? Good amount of classics or just a Z-movie paradise?
  3. Is there a decent collection for the Friday the 13th series? These were some of my favorite movies growing up that I watched dozens of times (I was a strange child) and it makes me sad that I don't own a single one of them now.

SeanC

Did this last year, was great. Too busy this year to really be a part of it but will be lurking this thread on the reg.

I'm in for the first time. Been a horror fan all of my 30+ years. I've actually watched a bunch of horror in the past couple of months, wish I had waited on some of it now! Just saw Lake Mungo for the first time last night.

Some questions while putting together a sure-to-be-enormous list:

1. Best way to see The Audition in the US? Cheapest price on Amazon and eBay hovers around $50.
  2. Shudder: worth it? How's the selection? Good amount of classics or just a Z-movie paradise?
  3. Is there a decent collection for the Friday the 13th series? These were some of my favorite movies growing up that I watched dozens of times (I was a strange child) and it makes me sad that I don't own a single one of them now.

For number 2, yes, Shudder is a fantastic resource. There's a lot of trash on there but many, many gems and classics as well. It's well curated too with themed sections if you're having trouble finding something just by scrolling through the whole list. And it's only $5 for a month and there's a free trial as well.

Ridley327

For number 2, yes, Shudder is a fantastic resource. There's a lot of trash on there but many, many gems and classics as well. It's well curated too with themed sections if you're having trouble finding something just by scrolling through the whole list. And it's only $5 for a month and there's a free trial as well.
And best of all, it solves question 1 since Audition is streaming on Shudder.

Ridley327

October approaches rapidly, which can mean only one thing!

Ridley's Halloween Horror Movie Marathon: 90s Annual Edition

The Theme:

After dedicating the two previous marathons to a decade, the 70s and 80s respectively, it made logical sense that to continue down that road to bring us to the overlying theme of the films of the 90s. For 31 days, we'll be charting a similar course as we've embarked on in the previous two years as we explore the depths of the genre from 1990-1999.

The Challenge:

As a lot of horror film fans know, the 90s was not what one might immediately call a bumper crop, having to not only live up to the renaissance that we enjoyed in the 70s and 80s, but also having to adapt to changing public appetites: boogeyman slashers were out, high-class serial killers were in, and much of the talent from that vaunted era were either in sharp decline, moving away from the genre, ghettoized to the dregs of the DTV market or simply couldn't get anything up and running that they could call their own. New talent also didn't seem particularly interested in playing it straight, opting instead to forge their own path with hybrids that certainly incorporated horror film elements, but would perhaps have a hard time being called an outright horror film in some circles. To be fair, this is largely an American perspective I've been looking through, as outside of the US, tons of exciting talent were making films that provided some of the most exciting work that you would see in any decade for the genre, particularly in Asia, but it was hard to be really excited in a time before streaming and VOD would make a lot of these easily accessible beyond the truly hardcore fans. Simply put, it was tough to be a fan in the decade, which would make it seem like a retrospective marathon would be tough to follow through, especially in the event where one is already familiar with some of the biggest releases that hit the mainstream, like The Silence of the Lambs, Scream, The Sixth Sense and The Blair Witch Project.

Or so I thought.

The Process:

Combing through countless resources, including some old standbys and many new ones, my research into the decade provided with a veritable treasure trove of films that I had never heard of before, to go with a fair few films that I had but haven't gotten to until now. To make a long story short, I wound up with a scratch list of well over a hundred films, making the final selection process much tougher than I had anticipated, as I could easily get two marathons out of the films I found out about. But I only get to celebrate the ninth consecutive year of my own marathon just once, and though I suspect some of those films will wind up on a list down the line, I had to be firm and lock down my final selections. A lot of these will be solo watches, but a fair few are matched pairs and even trios based on a particular director or kind of film. All this, and the films this time around will be all first time views. The final list of films I've selected undoubtedly has a level of variety and eccentricity that will stand as the craziest programming I've ever done.

The Films:
As explained, some of the films will be shown back-to-back (and, in some cases, an additional -to back!) with some kind of connective tissue. For instance, I'll finally do something I've been meaning to do and witness the whimpering end of the slasher genre as we once knew it to be with the (then) final films to feature Freddy, Jason and Michael. While I won't spoil absolutely everything on that front, the steely-eyed may notice other connections, to which I will only reply with a sly grin and, if worn at the time, a tip of the hat.

-The Addiction
-Arcane Sorcerer
-Baby Blood
-Bad Moon
-Begotten
-Biohunter
-Body Snatchers
-Cat in the Brain
-Cure
-Dark Waters
-The Day of the Beast
-Dead Alive
-Ebola Syndrome
-The Eternal Evil of Asia
-The Exorcist III
-Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
-Gemini
-Ghostwatch
-The Guard from Underground
-Halloween VI: The Curse of Michael Myers
-Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
-Highway to Hell
-Hiruko the Goblin
-Jacob's Ladder
-Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
-Kolobos
-The Last Broadcast
-Lost Highway
-Man Bites Dog
-Midori
-Mikadroid: Robokill Beneath Disco Club Layla
-Mimic
-My Soul is Slashed
-Nightwatch (1994)
-Perfect Blue
-The People Under the Stairs
-The Quiet Family
-Raat
-Red to Kill
-The Reflecting Skin
-Ring
-The Ring Virus
-Seven (no, I'm stylizing the title, the number 7 isn't a goddamned V)
-Stir of Echoes
-Tales from the Hood
-Tetsuo II: Body Hammer
-Three-Oh-One, Three-Oh-Two
-Trauma
-The Ugly
-The Untold Story
-The Wax Mask
-Whispering Corridors
-The Wisdom of Crocodiles

As you can tell, I can't wait to start tumbling down this rabbit hole!

I wish I had the dedication to so thoroughly craft a sequenced list and theme like you Ridley lol. But alas I'm flighty with my movie watching. Dope list though, I'm sure I'll end up stealing a few of those for my own hodge-podged marathon.

Yes lets do this!! I was waiting for my membership to activate last year but I still followed along the thread now I get to join all of you.

I'm typing up my list, and I went waaaay overboard with Italian titles.

I gotta find more new stuff and maybe a couple of slashers too.

Yes lets do this!! I was waiting for my membership to activate last year but I still followed along the thread now I get to join all of you.

HaQj3vp.gif

Lucas Sparks

Neo Member
It is honestly pathetic, how hard I've been waiting for this thread, thank you OP!

I'm ready to go, I start gathering recommendations in August and got a pretty sizable list this year. I managed 24 movies last year, gotta beat that record.

(Although I am cheating by starting end of Sept...)

LETS DO THIS.

halfbeast

Banned
Not sure if it meets your definition of popular so maybe you've seen it already, but Black Christmas is goddamn excellent. Outside of Psycho, probably my favorite slasher ever.

I'd say it's popular amongst horror fans. I've seen the remake (which sucked, cuz it's a remake) but I'll give the original a chance.

(list)

I've seen a lot, problem is, I can't remember most of their names, so any list helps! as for "popular" I'd say anything from craven, carpenter, argento, romero I've seen or am aware of it.

also, is Scarecrow the 80s movie of an autistic dude being accused of hurting a child and then killed dressed as a scarecrow? or is it something entirely different?

Never saw The Mutilator. I've got the Arrow disc, and their release of The Slayer. but I've been saving them for a certain month....

I'll also add:

Maniac (both the original and remake)
Tourist Trap
Nightmares (1980)
High Tension (this one gets a lot of flack due to the twist, but it's still one of my faves)
Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2
The New York Ripper (although that may be more giallo than slasher)
Slaughter High

thanks for all the suggestions! some really good stuff here. (high tension gets a slap on the wrist for the ending, it did kind of ruin the rest)

[*]Is there a decent collection for the Friday the 13th series? These were some of my favorite movies growing up that I watched dozens of times (I was a strange child) and it makes me sad that I don't own a single one of them now.
[/list]

Unfortunately it's hard to get ahold of the blurays since the set is out of print. If you're ok with DVD's then you shouldn't have a problem. I saw a collection on sale in the Halloween section at Walmart this year.

J2 Cool

I made a movie list. Kind of going for a certain tone, a lot of stuff I haven't seen and a couple Ive seen only once or so:

Return of the Living Dead
American Werewolf in London
The Howling
Abbot and Costello meet Franknstein
Nosferatu the Vampyre
Thriller
Shaun of the Dead
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Shining
Re-Animator
Pet Semetary
Monster Squad
Fright Night

Definitely gonna be checkin this thread, to add to it

Steamlord

I hope every single person doing this watches The Love Witch.

And if anyone is looking for some fun obscure 80s cheese, Eyes of Fire is basically The Witch as directed by Ken Russell (OK, that might be overselling it a bit, but it is a fun and crazy movie).

The House That Screamed / La residencia is an underrated giallo-style Spanish film from the late 60s. Directed by Narciso Ibáñez Serrador, who also directed Who Can Kill a Child? (except I think House is a much better movie).

Unfortunately it's hard to get ahold of the blurays since the set is out of print. If you're ok with DVD's then you shouldn't have a problem. I saw a collection on sale in the Halloween section at Walmart this year.

Man, I skipped the F13 BD set becuse of the lack of uncut Jason Goes to Hell and the ugly blue color balance for #6 (my fave) but I'm kicking myself now :(

I want it so bad. I just have that old DVD set with 2 movies per disc.

Ridley327

Well, if we're going to make recommendations for recent stuff, I will put my hat in the ring for The Blackcoat's Daughter. It's been three months since I saw it, and it still rattles in my head quite often. It has a potent mix of dripping atmosphere, an involving story, great central characters and a genuinely stunning ending that left me speechless. It's a much quieter film that most, but when it ratchets up the terror and the horror, it is quite unnerving to watch unfold.

Lucas Sparks

Neo Member
Sorry if my reading comprehension has failed, but is there going to be a mandatory movie watch this year (Ala Hush last year)? Those are my favorite.

Top Bottom