• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Edition (JP) |OT| The World is not enough

I've done the prereqs for Tumultuous Sprouts and talked to everyone in the village and I can't get the quest to appear. Has anyone else run into this or know what to do? I don't have any more village keys I can do.

This aside, I'm loving sitting on the couch with a controller and doing some hunts. This just might sate me until MHW arrives.

Edit: I'm an asshole, I just missed it in the quest list. I got all the flagship encounters done while I was trying to figure it out at least.

Meesh

Waiting for XX to arrive, in the meantime I'm gonna sit back and rediscover Tri/Tri Ultimate and FU. So many good memories there...

Not having this yet is making me really bitter, haha. I'm dying to play it, argh.

I've had some terrible luck these last few weeks, and it's now coming for me and MH. My order for the two 3000 yen eShop cards was on backorder on Play-Asia because it sold out as I bought them, apparently, and it took about two days to get the order cancelled. Then I tried the Amazon Japan route again after having a hard time with the address stuff, and actually managed to get a code! But only the one and then they wanted me to fax proof of payment on the second order. Lol :(.

With 3000 of 6000 yen in my Nintendo account at the moment, I asked a friend if he could try getting me the remaining 3000 yen and I'd reimburse him with Amazon money, but he didn't manage to get one because he got hit with the proof of payment, too.

So now I have to wait for Play-Asia to get more codes in stock 😥. I'm already antsy. I want to play NOW.

Kysen

If anyone needs a boost let me know. I can read Japanese, hr 300+. I play in the BST time zone. FC: SW-8451-5258-5609

Lizardus

Not having this yet is making me really bitter, haha. I'm dying to play it, argh.

I've had some terrible luck these last few weeks, and it's now coming for me and MH. My order for the two 3000 yen eShop cards was on backorder on Play-Asia because it sold out as I bought them, apparently, and it took about two days to get the order cancelled. Then I tried the Amazon Japan route again after having a hard time with the address stuff, and actually managed to get a code! But only the one and then they wanted me to fax proof of payment on the second order. Lol :(.

With 3000 of 6000 yen in my Nintendo account at the moment, I asked a friend if he could try getting me the remaining 3000 yen and I'd reimburse him with Amazon money, but he didn't manage to get one because he got hit with the proof of payment, too.

So now I have to wait for Play-Asia to get more codes in stock 😥. I'm already antsy. I want to play NOW.

Make a Japanese Paypal account, link your CC to it (if possible) and buy from eshop.

daxy

So now I have to wait for Play-Asia to get more codes in stock ��. I'm already antsy. I want to play NOW.

Have you tried nippon-yasan.com? No experience with them personally, but they have them in stock.

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/prepaid-cards/8954-nintendo-prepaid-card-3000.html

This game is a lot more comfortable with a pro controller than in handheld mode. Might actually import it now but it's a shame there's no way to customize the inputs.

rpmurphy

Starting from the very beginning, since apparently I had barely had a chance to play X between the time it and Generations released. I have a looong way to go from the looks of it. :/

PKrockin

Finally made it to high rank village after 17 hours. Weird seeing Ancestral Steppe in HD.

DITTipdVoAEdoUd.jpg:large

DITTpquUEAEBRgP.jpg:large

membran

Just let me say that having all the menus and all the item/monster/weapon/skill names in Japanese is as rough as I've feared.

The language barrier extends into all the little things; doesn't really help if you'd played hundreds or thousands of hours worth of Monster Hunter games before. I can rely on muscle memory for getting to the equipment selection screen and change gear, but there's stuff like the food selection menu (for the felyne skills) or simply not knowing what item exactly I'm supposed to gather on a gathering quest. Sure, you can look all of this up or google translate via smartphone. Still: Ugh.

Deband

Just let me say that having all the menus and all the item/monster/weapon/skill names in Japanese is as rough as I've feared.

The language barrier extends into all the little things; doesn't really help if you'd played hundreds or thousands of hours worth of Monster Hunter games before. I can rely on muscle memory for getting to the equipment selection screen and change gear, but there's stuff like the food selection menu (for the felyne skills) or simply not knowing what item exactly I'm supposed to gather on a gathering quest. Sure, you can look all of this up or google translate via smartphone. Still: Ugh.

There's a few other tools I've been using. If you have gen for the 3ds, I used this to save item and equipment sets. Also there's MHGen android app if the armor you want to craft appears in that game too, you can look up locations for farming bugs etc.

I needed what looked like a yellow potion for a SA upgrade and Google translate said it was Owl oil, so I thought it must be from Malfestio. Turns out it was paddock oil from Tesucabra lol.

Hybris

I think my right joycon x button is busted... It only registers my input if I press down really hard. Welp this sucks. Maybe it's time to get a pro controller and RMA this joycon. I've only had it for ~2 months...

Archanfel

I really want to play this but I gotta do this Mario + Rabbids thing first before I decide to jump down the Japanese MH rabbit hole.

Doombear

Stick with it, if you can. You'll get more and more used to things. I have a few translation lists I use for myself for Felyne Kitchen, Skills I am looking for on charms, etc. I actually created a multi-sheet excel page with skills... listed out in order of number of characters =P It felt like work, but it has helped a ton. I just use Evernote but you could have them anywhere that is handy.

Some of my more used kitchen meals for example. Once you recognize the last few characters you'll get used to which combos offer them. It gets easier the more you stay at it!

ネコの報酬金保険 - extra cart
ネコの 秘境探索術 - Felyne Explorer
ネコの おまけ術 - No food loss on death
ネコの 弱いの来い!- weak monster
招きネコの激運 - super lucky cat
ネコの 短期催眠術 - ATK/DEF Boost for 10min

Some skills I personally prioritized finding on charms:
Handicraft 匠
Expert 達人
Attack 攻撃
Tenderizer 痛撃
Charmer 護石王
Perception 観察眼
Critical Boost 会心強化
Evasion 回避性能
Evade Dist 回避距離
CritElemnt 属性会心
Bomb Boost 爆弾強化

Of course as countless others have mentioned, the Google Translate app can be a lifesaver too. For actual parts I may not be able to figure out on my own, I will usually manually scan in the app, then click the blue -> arrow next to the translation screen, copy the characters there and then just head to Kiranico's full item list (which now has dual japanese/english displayed on one page - https://mhxxx.kiranico.com/item) and do a 'Find in Page' search. Done. With the dual language list it is awesome, as you can see immediately what it is you're looking for.

Yep. It's a silly amount of 'work' just to be able to play. It's worth it to me by a longshot though. After a few times, it is just second nature. I love the series though, and want to play them all. Obviously needing to do this kind of 'work' isn't remotely worth it for others.

Any of you starting with a new weapon? I have never really used SnS and am thinking of doing it, and getting my usual weapons much later in the game (HH, GL, HBG, LBG) to enjoy the differences.

My thinking is, "Well, I'm starting over. May as well have fun with a weapon I've rarely used." That's how I got into some of the ones above.

Deband

Any of you starting with a new weapon? I have never really used SnS and am thinking of doing it, and getting my usual weapons much later in the game (HH, GL, HBG, LBG) to enjoy the differences.

My thinking is, "Well, I'm starting over. May as well have fun with a weapon I've rarely used." That's how I got into some of the ones above.

I'm not brave enough. I'm sticking to SA for now. I've played a lot of Hh before but I'll try that when we get English version.

Sns might be doable tho. Isn't there oil or something you apply to it now?

Kinsei

Banned

Yep. I do this in practically ever MH so that the early game has a bit of challenge. In XX I'll be going with the gunlance since it's one of the two melee weapons I don't have a good amount of experience in.

Hybris

So anyone that hasn't been able to purchase yet, play-asia restocked their eshop cards according to reddit. Get on it!

Yeah I usually mix it up a lot early game and then specialize certain matchups later. Picked up Dual Blades this time around, and I'm using Brave LS a lot also since it's the new hotness.

Yeah, Im using Brave Great Sword right now. I dont really like it much so far, its kinda boring, I really miss my Ariel Switch Axe, it was a lot more fun. I might use Charge Blade again, I used it a bit in 4.

Maybe I will try SnS too though, Ive never used it in any MoHun, haha.

Shadoron

Is there a particular thread for finding GAF run rooms for MH:XX? Haven't seen any skimming through this thread. Hunting hasn't been an issue with the language barrier on the Switch, but setting up a room seems like a nightmare. I can navigate to join someone else, and it would be nice to hunt with others in the same boat. It's too bad that your save is temporarily removed from the 3DS copy, as it would be perfect if you could have both open (with the English translation going), and use it for advanced menu options.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for an app (on Android) to learn basic hiragana and katakana? I've seen people mention that they have had success, what is everyone using specifically? It would really help with BG ammo mid-fight.

TheOasis

Yeah, Im using Brave Great Sword right now. I dont really like it much so far, its kinda boring, I really miss my Ariel Switch Axe, it was a lot more fun. I might use Charge Blade again, I used it a bit in 4.

Maybe I will try SnS too though, Ive never used it in any MoHun, haha.

If you're still interested in using the Greatsword, try adept/bushido style. It has been buffed in MHXX as you can now charge your attack during your running animation after a perfect evade. Super fun.

giphy.gif

Is there a particular thread for finding GAF run rooms for MH:XX? Haven't seen any skimming through this thread. Hunting hasn't been an issue with the language barrier on the Switch, but setting up a room seems like a nightmare. I can navigate to join someone else, and it would be nice to hunt with others in the same boat. It's too bad that your save is temporarily removed from the 3DS copy, as it would be perfect if you could have both open (with the English translation going), and use it for advanced menu options.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for an app (on Android) to learn basic hiragana and katakana? I've seen people mention that they have had success, what is everyone using specifically? It would really help with BG ammo mid-fight.
This would be the thread for that. Some people have already offered to play, but a lot of us are probably tackling Village before doing online. I thought I'd want to rush online, but, honestly, I'm having a lot of fun starting fresh with the SnS and cross-referencing to figure out what some of these items are (and remembering item placements, etc. from Generations to help with that).

Also, all the ammo is in kanji except for paint :p Just memorize the first kanji for your most-used shots.

I used "Hiragana - Learn Japanese" to hammer them in when I was starting out. There's a katakana one, too. You'll have to put in work first to remember them with this, because it doesn't teach them to you--it just helps you memorize then. It plays the audio for how they're pronounced and you pick from four choices, you can write the romaji for the hiragana you see, and you can write them after hearing the audio. Three ways to learn.

I like Kana Town as well because I can see the hiragana and katakana tables, and pick which ones I want to study. Nothing fancy about the app, but I like it for quick study sessions and it has a nice presentation with no ads.

Edit: oh, shit at that GS buff. That's awesome.

Shadoron

I used "Hiragana - Learn Japanese" to hammer them in when I was starting out. There's a katakana one, too. You'll have to put in work first to remember them with this, because it doesn't teach them to you--it just helps you memorize then. It plays the audio for how they're pronounced and you pick from four choices, you can write the romaji for the hiragana you see, and you can write them after hearing the audio. Three ways to learn.

I like Kana Town as well because I can see the hiragana and katakana tables, and pick which ones I want to study. Nothing fancy about the app, but I like it for quick study sessions and it has a nice presentation with no ads.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely check them out. And keep my eye on the thread.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm almost through LR Village stuff now, clearing 1 and 2* entirely.. which is a chore giving how many gathering quests there are.. but even so, I love all of Monhan.

Probably going to start going online soon, but I'm a bit intimidated by conversing in Japanese, so I might just seek out GAF / other English speaking forums / Discords to form lobbies.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely check them out. And keep my eye on the thread.

Hiragana and Katakana will help a lot, but Monster Hunter is extremely Kanji heavy. I'd recommend memorising some key Kanji that are commonly used in the games (as listed above), otherwise Hiragana and Katakana aren't going to get you far.

Lizardus

I'm almost through LR Village stuff now, clearing 1 and 2* entirely.. which is a chore giving how many gathering quests there are.. but even so, I love all of Monhan.

Probably going to start going online soon, but I'm a bit intimidated by conversing in Japanese, so I might just seek out GAF / other English speaking forums / Discords to form lobbies.

I've found the playing with Japanese randoms experience to be pretty good. Never been kicked for using English or anything.

If anyone wants to play, I can play for a bit on the 3DS. STILL waiting for the Switch copy (tomorrow, I hope).

Estoc

In general, you have just got to play by their online gaming etiquette and you wouldn't need to communicate much. I can read Japanese due to... well, nerding for years, but I have trouble talking to people since I've taken no formal education on the language, but playing with Japanese is no problem since most rooms are rather quiet.

Say よろしくお願いします(hmm... I'm not sure if there is an equivalent English expression for this) the moment you enter a room, it should be the first option in your chat preset. Say arigatou (thanks) when someone helped you(saved you from dizzy, snowball, or use powder, even songs). Say otsukare (gg) after a fight. Combine the last two expressions respectively when you're about to leave the room. I will check the preset orders when I can, at work right now. You don't really have to talk in Japanese rooms, usually chat-and-play rooms will be labeled as such, so just join rooms labeled with the default text or a monster's name. You will have to learn to recognise some common terms.

We East Asians aren't the most social bunch.

Don't post quest unless you're the host. It's a bit of an issue if you have quests you want help with, but there is always GAF.

I'm not sure if they still do "Z order" on Switch version, "Z order" rooms allow members to take turn posting quests, following the letter Z: top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right in 3DS bottom screen. If someone left and the order is messed up, the host will usually say the next person's name.

If you're still interested in using the Greatsword, try adept/bushido style. It has been buffed in MHXX as you can now charge your attack during your running animation after a perfect evade. Super fun.

giphy.gif

Ok cool. I will give it a shot. I'm leaning a lot towards Brave style since it's new, but anything to make GS more fun sounds good.

I think I just fucked up by going GS after being SA, they both are big slow weapons that hit hard, but since I've used SA for years now, over like 5 different games, it's hard to transition to the GS. Haha.

Dingens

I think I may finally cave in... I wanted to ignore the game but I just can't... are there any good import options (retail, to europe)?

Finally made it to high rank village after 17 hours. Weird seeing Ancestral Steppe in HD.

still looks kinda rough in screens.... but if the switch version is anything like the 3ds Version, I guess it looks vastly better on the screen.
I'm not sure what capcom did to that area, but it just doesn't look good in screenshots. may be the colour pallet?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've found the playing with Japanese randoms experience to be pretty good. Never been kicked for using English or anything.

If anyone wants to play, I can play for a bit on the 3DS. STILL waiting for the Switch copy (tomorrow, I hope).

In general, you have just got to play by their online gaming etiquette and you wouldn't need to communicate much. I can read Japanese due to... well, nerding for years, but I have trouble talking to people since I've taken no formal education on the language, but playing with Japanese is no problem since most rooms are rather quiet.

Say よろしくお願いします(hmm... I'm not sure if there is an equivalent English expression for this) the moment you enter a room, it should be the first option in your chat preset. Say arigatou (thanks) when someone helped you(saved you from dizzy, snowball, or use powder, even songs). Say otsukare (gg) after a fight. Combine the last two expressions respectively when you're about to leave the room. I will check the preset orders when I can, at work right now. You don't really have to talk in Japanese rooms, usually chat-and-play rooms will be labeled as such, so just join rooms labeled with the default text or a monster's name. You will have to learn to recognise some common terms.

We East Asians aren't the most social bunch.

Don't post quest unless you're the host. It's a bit of an issue if you have quests you want help with, but there is always GAF.

I'm not sure if they still do "Z order" on Switch version, "Z order" rooms allow members to take turn posting quests, following the letter Z: top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right in 3DS bottom screen. If someone left and the order is messed up, the host will usually say the next person's name.

Useful information, thanks!

Deband

I think I may finally cave in... I wanted to ignore the game but I just can't... are there any good import options (retail, to europe)?

still looks kinda rough in screens.... but if the switch version is anything like the 3ds Version, I guess it looks vastly better on the screen.
I'm not sure what capcom did to that area, but it just doesn't look good in screenshots. may be the colour pallet?

https://m.imgur.com/a/AWnxL

Looks stunning in handheld mode.

pronk420

I've tried following the Gaijinhunter save transfer video but when I try to upload from MHX it says something about deleting additional data, and then just goes back to the menu. I've created a password and waited a few minutes and it still does it. This is on a Japanese 3DS with MHX.

edit: never mind, found this https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...d_help_with_error_message_while_transferring/ and that fixed it. Theres a 1 block additional file on the SD card.

Juraash

So my Switch was super dead last night and I didn't get a chance to really mess with this. But this morning I decided to dive right in.

Navigating the menus was a little spotty, but I got my character created and set him up with guild style without too much trouble. Same goes for getting my Greatsword out of storage. So far, the language barrier hasn't been too bad, muscle memory is filling in a lot of the gaps. That said, I imagine once I get settled with item sets and all that I should be pretty golden. G-Rank could be funky with getting tons of skills set up, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Looking forward to getting some serious hunting in and getting to G asap.

Are we using the same Discord we have been for 4U and Gen?

PKrockin

So my Switch was super dead last night and I didn't get a chance to really mess with this. But this morning I decided to dive right in.

Navigating the menus was a little spotty, but I got my character created and set him up with guild style without too much trouble. Same goes for getting my Greatsword out of storage. So far, the language barrier hasn't been too bad, muscle memory is filling in a lot of the gaps. That said, I imagine once I get settled with item sets and all that I should be pretty golden. G-Rank could be funky with getting tons of skills set up, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Looking forward to getting some serious hunting in and getting to G asap.

Are we using the same Discord we have been for 4U and Gen?
Yep.

Juraash

So I was all ready to go in with guild style as per usual, I like my vanilla ass Greatsword play. But rewatching Gaijin Hunter's video for brave GS has me mighty tempted. I may have to mess around more instead of just defaulting to my old ways.

PKrockin

Oh shit, Kiranico now has their XX stuff with English translations next to the Japanese at https://mhxxx.kiranico.com/. I just happened upon this on a Google search.

So I was all ready to go in with guild style as per usual, I like my vanilla ass Greatsword play. But rewatching Gaijin Hunter's video for brave GS has me mighty tempted. I may have to mess around more instead of just defaulting to my old ways.
It's weird to me that people would play this game and stick to one weapon and style. It's all about variety and experimentation IMO.

Hybris

Might as well try out the op styles and arts while they are here. They won't be coming back! Brave GS is indeed very powerful and very fun.

Top Bottom