• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed: Origins - Hype Check

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Tap X button to kill while other enemy is just watching?
The other enemy didn't attack because he was about to pull out the bow and arrow but switched back to melee.

Yeah thats not really a legit representative of good combat.

Especially with that Skyrim-esque ending animation on the last enemy standing.

Origins is trying to encapsulate an Action Rpg right?.

Give me Dragon's Dogma tier gameplay and Horizon style archery and I'm good.
The game isn't going for a Dragon's Dogma feel at all and the archery looks pretty fantastic

Rosur2a

Quite hyped for it but getting it with my Xbox One X as playing it in 4K will be good and can see how it turns out before buying but previews look good.

Probably gonna be getting the Gold edition with the season pass.

SoulClap

My hype is at steady levels. Just like the other Ass Creed games, I want to turn my brain off and stare at the beautiful environments. I only hope that the gameplay isn't tedious.

spad3

I'm a huge fan of the series, I enjoyed Syndicate but it didn't pull me in the same way AC2, Brotherhood, and Black Flag did. No other game in the series has been able to achieve the level of greatness of those 3 games.

This, however, has potential. The fact that it's made by the Black Flag team is a good sign already and the game looks great. It's going to be a rough day as Mario Odyssey comes out the same day so I'll pick it up but probably will hold off playing it until I finish Mario.

Muffdraul

It was tough but I decided this is the game I'll be playing on 10/27. Sorry Mario, I love you to death, I know Odyssey will be great, just wait for me bro. I couldn't give less of a shit about Wolfenstein, never figured out what was supposedly so great about the last one.

Go ahead and throw all the rotten tomatoes at me you want... I thought Unity and Syndicate were underrated, seen through the lens of an extremely harsh backlash against Ubi... which they frankly very much deserved. I'm really into the idea that they let Origins bake an extra year to get out of the annualization slump AC was mired in.

I haven't been this hyped for a new AC since AC3... cautiously optimistic that Origins won't disappoint like 3 did.

Extremely hyped but mildly disappointed it's out the same day as Wolf & Odyssey, as I'll be playing those first.

Really it's okay since I'll probably spend most of December playing AC.

Duxxy3

If Shadow of War is a 0 and The Evil Within 2 is a 10, then I'd say around a 4 or 5. Not likely to be a launch purchase, even with a high score, but something I would be on the lookout for when on sale.

george_us

Love the setting but the gameplay still looks as dull as ever for more, except with loot this time. Pass until it hits $20 or less.

Hexer06

Haven't really been hyped for an AC game in years. I'm definitely hyped as fuck for this! Gonna play a bit on release day and then wait for the X to play more and see the graphical changes. Plenty of games to keep me busy this month lol.

I'm hyped for it, and I haven't really cared for Asscreed since 2. Getting it day 1, but won't actually play it until I get my X1X on launch day since I decided to get a single third party game for it, and that is the one I picked.

bede-x

I like that they took last year off to give the games time to breathe and I'm intrigued by the setting. That said it's still another Ubisoft open world game, it's AAA and it's got microtransactions. Three things I hate. Reception will have to be exceptionally good if I'm gonna pick it up in a sale.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh god I'm having flashbacks to AC2 and ACB pc versions. What was it like 5-6 months later?

Assassin's Creed: ~5 months later
Assassin's Creed 2: ~3.5 months later
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: 4 months later

Adding RPG elements to suppliment the easy combat and the Literal Eagle mode are interesting.

I'm honestly so wary of all the microtransactions and loot boxes going around games these days that I'll wait for reviews before touching any game that comes close to having them. Even if they can be bought with in game money.

And even then, I'm still burnt out from Assassin's Creed since Unity.

Kyoufu

Not a fan of AC at all and the last one I played was Black Flag which I loathed.

I'm looking forward to playing Origins because of the changes they've made with the combat. A hitbox-based combat system seems like something they should have done years and years ago.

Hopefully the game has good loot as well. I'm basically looking for a decent Action RPG from this.

Zero. I will never play another Assassin’s Creed game until one releases that is exceptionally well-received by critics, has very strong word of mouth several months later, and drastically changes what the series has been. I burned myself out on the games hard after Revelations, and after playing about three hours of three, I swore the series off. They’re all way too similar, and Ubisoft’s approach to open worlds rubs me the wrong way.

This one has potential, but there are too many other quality games out or coming out.

Black Flag is one of my favorite games (though I still feel it was a better pirate game than an Assassin's Creed game) so I know the team/studio behind this can create a good game.

The world and setting: Super Hyped
The new combat: Cautiously Hyped
The Current Day Assassin's Creed Stuff: Negative Hype
Will Ubisoft manage to fuck it up somehow: Probably

sjay1994

It was tough but I decided this is the game I'll be playing on 10/27. Sorry Mario, I love you to death, I know Odyssey will be great, just wait for me bro. I couldn't give less of a shit about Wolfenstein, never figured out what was supposedly so great about the last one.

Go ahead and throw all the rotten tomatoes at me you want... I thought Unity and Syndicate were underrated, seen through the lens of an extremely harsh backlash against Ubi... which they frankly very much deserved. I'm really into the idea that they let Origins bake an extra year to get out of the annualization slump AC was mired in.

I haven't been this hyped for a new AC since AC3... cautiously optimistic that Origins won't disappoint like 3 did.

I never knew there were more like me on this forum.

The wolfenstein games aren't bad. They are just unremarkable imo with their best quality being the writing and story. The actual game part just felt bad to me. A mishmash of new and old which doesn't know what it wants to be.

Felt like I was taking crazy pills, since everyone here seemed to fucking love the game.

I only feel Wolf 2 got a boost in public perception due to current real world events, but honestly game wise it still looks unremarkable as the first but there is more color due to environments not all being Nazi Super Concrete, and the nuanced writing of BJ's inner monologues which I highly enjoyed haven't been shown at all.

I would at least hope those are still there.

RPGCrazied

I'm 50/50 on this, mainly because I'm getting the PS4 version which we haven't seen yet. I hope it runs okay.

Really hoping for 1080p this time and not 900p.

The setting, RPG mechanics, and especially the overhauled combat system have me more hyped that I expected for an AC game. Still going to wait for reviews, community impressions, and a Steam sale before jumping in. I'm hyped, but not day one hyped.

Muffdraul

The wolfenstein games aren't bad. They are just unremarkable imo with their best quality being the writing and story. The actual game part just felt bad to me. A mishmash of new and old which doesn't know what it wants to be.

Felt like I was taking crazy pills, since everyone here seemed to fucking love the game.

I only feel Wolf 2 got a boost in public perception due to current real world events, but honestly game wise it still looks unremarkable as the first but there is more color due to environments not all being Nazi Super Concrete, and the nuanced writing of BJ's inner monologues which I highly enjoyed haven't been shown at all.

My man. When Doom came out last year I thought "OK, now this is more like it."

I'm really excited for it and miss the franchise. Really glad to see it returning.

I won't be picking it up until it's around $30 because I don't buy single player games full price anymore but it's still very high up on my most anticipated list

Everything about this game is clicking the right check boxes.

They really need to make Ash the head/director of the AC franchise, and wait a year or two between installments.

And in between those year gaps, release other forms of multimedia, for fans to explore the world of Assassin's Creed (a cartoon is being developed) in-between games.
This is the most hyped I have been for an AC game. Unity was extremely hyped, but the bugs were able to be detected in pre-release gameplay videos.
Origins looks much more polished and the extra year is really showing it, with the QoL improvements, RPG-esque missions and gameplay, new and extra features, interactions and more.

I cannot wait to step into Egypt on October 27th. I have a feeling that this game may be very special, and the next major positive critiqued and best seller Assassin's Creed game.

The game screams of charm and you can tell Ash's team is putting lots of soul and heart into making what they believe will be their best game yet.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Sadly I have no hype for this. Syndicate was my favorite since 2. Loved the setting, loved the era, loved the choice of protagonists. Origins to me goes in a direction I didn't want, and the story isn't grabbing me, from everything I've seen. Egypt, I thought would be a bad pick but it looks like they did good on that front.

Megatron

Really excited for it. I just wish it didnt release the same damn day as Odyssey. I'm tempted to wait for black friday, but its probably going to be $35 then at best, and I can get it for $38 at best buy with gcu (I will apply a $10 reward sone for it and by pre ordering I will get a new $10 reward zone cert, so it will truly cost $38)

Crossing Eden

Wolfenstein 2 looks like it plays a hell of a lot more smoothly than the first one which was hampered by its engine.

27th is the Nazi killing day for me, so I ain't getting this day 1.

But if AC:O runs okay on standard PS4 and the game isn't a total garbage (hopefully it won't be), I'll get it after finishing Wolf 2.

I'm really liking the setting and the changes to the combat seem really interesting.

Megatron

27th is the Nazi killing day for me, so I ain't getting this day 1.

But if AC:O runs okay on standard PS4 and the game isn't a total garbage (hopefully it won't be), I'll get it after finishing Wolf 2.

Come on, Bowser is evil, but I wouldn't call him a Nazi....

I'm quite excited but Assassin's Creed seems to have lost somehow its own identity in the last times. Everytime I see an Assassin hood without the eagle beak, for example, I die a bit ins---

22426513_1182140208553553_4018421538288484453_o.jpg

ac_seaons_pass_header_303430.jpg

Tell me this is on the base game and I'm purchasing the game right now.

dreamfall

It's my most hyped game of the year! Super excited to finally be able to explore Egypt at my own pace - I missed my annual fix of Assassin's Creed, and I've been replaying some Syndicate to get ready. I love Bayek's voice actor, he sounds so good. And this shakeup of the formula is exactly what was needed, I can't wait to see how it turns out!

jacobeid

Banned
Ubisoft still hasn't shown me why I should be excited for this game, and I have been following the media. If the game reviews well and if user impressions stick into early next year I'll likely pick it up, but October 27 has Mario and Wolfenstein written all over it.

I can't say I'm buying it day 1 (Steam version btw). The game seems very good, and as a long-time AC fan I'll end up buying it in due time, but I think I'm waiting for the reviews first and keeping my expectation in check.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's the first time I haven't preordered a AC game, probably because there's no Steelbook Edition in the UK without buying the bullshit edition from Ubi.
But I also haven't seen anything that grabs me.
The setting is my dream come true but the execution isn't impressing me.
But I feel the games have gone backwards since 3 and only Unity I've enjoyed despite being a technical mess.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The only reason I'm not more hyped on it is because I'm getting Wolf and Mario first

but it'll definitely be my December game

Crossing Eden

I'm quite excited but Assassin's Creed seems to have lost somehow its own identity in the last times. Everytime I see an Assassin hood without the eagle beak, for example, I die a bit ins---

22426513_1182140208553553_4018421538288484453_o.jpg

ac_seaons_pass_header_303430.jpg

Tell me this is on the base game and I'm purchasing the game right now.
That's the first expansion coming in 2018.

Aters

Never played an AC before. Will grab this one if the reception and discount are good. This game looks interesting as they totally redo the combat system.

My sole interest is due to Egypt being the backdrop, otherwise I've never been that interested in the series outside of Black Flag( I did play some of 2 and liked it). I'll probably just treat it as a walk-through-Egypt simulator and not bother with the plot.

BraXzy

I haven't paid much attention to the franchise since Brotherhood, but this one is making me take a second look. I definitely won't pick it up at launch, but I'm looking forward to hearing impressions. Positive ones will get me to pick it up early next year in drought season.

The development time break did them good.

I own Syndicate but haven't even gotten around to playing it yet, so while I'm really intrigued by the setting and new QOL changes, I'll probably be waiting. Especially since I have a Super Mario Odyssey Switch bundle arriving the 27th already.

That brings me to my question: why are AC and Wolfenstein also releasing on Friday? I know Nintendo tends to release on Fridays over Tuesdays but it seems like a lot of the bigger blockbusters this fall season are favoring Friday releases over the regular Tuesdays. Is there a reason for this change?

Top Bottom