• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Games with Gold: Dead Island and Toy Soldiers: Cold War

http://www.eurogamer.pl/articles/20...tow-xbox-live-gold-w-pierwszej-polowie-lutego

Major Nelson confirmed both games.

Starting Saturday (February 1st) Dead Island (Normally US $19.99) will be free for Xbox Live Gold members through February 15th .

Then on February 16th, Xbox Live Gold Members can download Toy Soldiers: Cold War (Normally US $14.99) for free.

The “Games With Gold” program gives Xbox LIVE Gold Members 2 free games to keep each month. A new title will be available the 1st and 16th of each month.

http://majornelson.com/2014/01/31/x...d-and-toy-soldiers-cold-war-free-in-february/

Not bad I guess...DI really should have been Riptide.

Briarios

I actually liked the DI better than Riptide. These are better than their more recent choices. I did want toy soldiers! too ...

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Too bad I already have (both) Toy Soldiers - then again, both are quite fun, so no harm here. I'm so getting Dead Island, though.

keit4

Banned
Only the newest hits from MS.

Seriously, why is this all they can manage?

Because:

1) These games are free and yours (for real)
2) This service is not a counterpart to PS Plus, people pay for Gold because is the only way to play online games, not because the GwG program.

EDIT: In the second point when i say "it's not a counterpart to PS Plus" i'm referring to the Gold sub. Of course the GwG program is a counterpart to the Instant Game Collection. Sorry for the bad wording.

Dabanton

Not bad. I loved the demo of TS:CW but didn't have the time to dip into it when it released and I also missed Dead Island.

urge26

lmao.... um thanks MS. Why even try to compete with Sony on this when all you're going to do is shell out crap.

hawk2025

Because:

2) This service is not a counterpart to PS Plus, people pay for Gold because is the only way to play online games, not because the GwG program.

Riiiiight, it's not a counterpart to PS+. Yep, no chance.

Anyways. Already have Dead Island, so I'll give Toy Soldiers a whirl.

Silky

Banned
When exactly? My gold expires in Feb and after 9 years straight, sadly I'm not renewing.

Usually the 1st of Feb for the first game, and the 15th of Feb for the next one.

--

since Dead Island is an unoptimized turd that constantly crashes on me during startup for PC, I'll get it for 360. Along with Toy Soldiers: CW even though I have the first one and haven't played it.

It's an /okay/ month.

It seems to me that Microsoft is dragging their feet with this initiative. I'm actually excited for Dead Island, but still think that Sony is trouncing them with their PS+ stuff. Plus, I still think that MS will eventually pull the plug on the XBOX 360 Live, meaning that all these games will disappear eventually.

Alpende

Because:

I don't really believe GwG wasn't set up to compete with PS+ in some way. And the first point also can be applied to PS4 users.

bebop242

Because:

2) This service is not a counterpart to PS Plus, people pay for Gold because is the only
way to play online games, not because the GwG program.

So you are saying that they would be giving out these free games even if ps+ never existed. Ok

Dead Island is a decent offering. Not six years old, progress at least.

Dragon

Banned
Because:

I'm not sure why you think it's not directly related to Playstation Plus.

It seems to me that Microsoft is dragging their feet with this initiative. I'm actually excited for Dead Island, but still think that Sony is trouncing them with their PS+ stuff. Plus, I still think that MS will eventually pull the plug on the XBOX 360 Live, meaning that all these games will disappear eventually.
Even if they do they're your games to keep, as long as you've downloaded them you'll still be able to play them

And of course GwG is an answer to PS+, this never would have happened without Sony. I'm not sure how you can think otherwise.

Varth

Because:

So being a less competitive service is the reason they're offering worst games? Makes sense.

Honestly, if XBL subscribers could choose, don't you think they would opt for having better games "for rent" instead of being able to keep lousy stuff in which they would never "invest" the space on their drive? I mean, 9/10 of the games around is stuff you wouldn't keep around anyway.

PS+ keeps delivering me newish games that I have not yet played and do not own. GwG on the other hand...

FYI, you need PS+ to play online with the PS4. And because of this fact, the difference between "renting" free games on PS+ and "owning" free games on XBL is moot.

Demand better from Microsoft. They're losing this battle.

Solo'd Dead Island when it was released. It's a lot like the first Borderlands so if solo/co-op killing with missions is your thing you will feel right at home. I had fun with it even with some of the jankiness. I say it's a decent game..>Sam B all the way. Also i do agree MS needs to step there GWG offerings up. I can't help but compare this to PS+ which is killing it right now.

RdN

Couldn't be worse!

If for a system with the library like the Xbox 360 has, the best they can do is this.. Just imagine what it'll look like on the Xbox One.

Silky

Banned
And of course GwG is an answer to PS+, this never would have happened without Sony. I'm not sure how you can think otherwise.

Yep. At the same time the service is ~ 7 months old right. PS+ didn't get decent until around a year when they added better games and more features. give it time

time to bow out of this thread because it's only a matter of time before this becomes yet another PS+/GWG list war

Yep. At the same time the service is ~ 7 months old right. PS+ didn't get decent until around a year when they added better games and more features. give it time

time to bow out of this thread because it's only a matter of time before this becomes yet another PS+/GWG list war

Why should we give GwG more time? XBL has been around forever. Microsoft has been profiting from it forever. Why can't they ramp up GwG immediately and give some value back to the customers in the face of stiff competition from PS+?

x-Lundz-x

Dead Island was fantastic. Not sure why the hate. You guys make it sound like they are trying to offer you CoD3 or something.

Greyvvolf

I was hyped to play Dead Island when the trailer first came out. I waited for reviews and they weren't that great, so I ended up passing on it. I'm glad I get to try it now.

keit4

Banned
In the first point when i say "it's not a counterpart to PS Plus" i'm referring to the Gold sub. Of course the GwG program is a counterpart to the Instant Game Collection. Sorry for the bad wording.

Fair enough. I have none of those. I think I will play DI tomorrow with friends. Great for my buddy that was the only one who had this game, now we can play with him.

Silky

Banned
Why should we give GwG more time? XBL has been around forever. Microsoft has been profiting from it forever. Why can't they ramp up GwG immediately and give some value back to the customers in the face of stiff competition from PS+?

because im pretty sure--and I'm not really industry savvy like a lot of people, my assumptions are based on general common sense--that deals regarding publishers letting someone like MS/Sony takes time/negotiations regarding their service so that the pubs/devs can get funded? hell PS+ has been around for four years, when did it really start getting good? around say late '11/early '12?

at least that's what I think (then again I also think that people should collectively lower their expectations in regards to a brand new service/feature being added onto something being fucking amazing early on. there's always flaws with something like that.)

there you go, bye

Germany? Is that a country in Europe? I don't think Microsoft really cares, I'm sorry.

:lol

keit4

Banned
Honestly, if XBL subscribers could choose, don't you think they would opt for having better games "for rent" instead of being able to keep lousy stuff in which they would never "invest" the space on their drive? I mean, 9/10 of the games around is stuff you wouldn't keep around anyway.

If i can choose i prefer to have the newer games for free and forever.

In a serious note, i'm a PS Plus subscriber (and i don't have a gold membership) and i love the program, but i'm afraid of what will happen when the service shuts down. I don't like the idea of losing all of "my" games. Because of this i buy all the PS+ games i like.

jem0208

lmao.... um thanks MS. Why even try to compete with Sony on this when all you're going to do is shell out crap.

Seriously?

It sounds like you'd rather they didn't have the GwG program. You're not paying anything for them (unless you're paying for Gold just for GwG, which you shouldn't be) hence why complain?

Top Bottom