• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops II details (leaked on weekend confirmed)

ace3skoot

Black Ops MP Details:

10 point allocation system replaces primary/secondary/grenades slot system
Guns, attachments, equipment, perks take up allocation points

for example you could have 2 primary weapons which would use most of your points and only have 1 perk.

Or No guns but lots of perks, so you could get a knife kill, steal a gun and make good on all the perks you choose.

New wager match variations.

Everyone starts with a machine pistol and 1 emp grenade, you have to disable and hack drones to get more kills, only way to get more emp grenades is to take them from another player.

Could find thread.

uncut show (Black Ops 2 at 14.30)
http://kiwi6.com/file/4gnsyfv4fo

This might just suck me back in. Love the way you could completely customize to your playing style and not have to work around the 3 perks, 1 primary, 1 secondary.

Isn't 10 points enough to have everything?

NVM - I get it. Which means it'll work out better for me, as I never use secondary weapons apart from AA when going for Pro.

Mik2121

Isn't 10 points enough to have everything?

Uhm? Do you happen to know how many points is each thing? Apparently primary weapons are around 4 points. It'd guess secondary maybe 2 or 3 depending on the kind of weapon? And kill streaks whatever, 2 or 3 maybe...

Rlan

Was this the "we went to a multiplayer party thing but can never ever talk about it" thing Jeff mentioned on the Bombcast?

They need to make the really good perks, the ones they know everyone will use worth a lot of points, so much so that it puts a serious hindrance on kill streaks/weapon load-outs/use of other perks.

Xater

Was this the "we went to a multiplayer party thing but can never ever talk about it" thing Jeff mentioned on the Bombcast?

The MP thing was for the E3 judges and yeah someone probably didn't hold his mouth. God bless him!

This system sounds good to me, but I'll be playing Halo 4 instead anyway...

ace3skoot

They need to make the really good perks, the ones they know everyone will use worth a lot of points, so much so that it puts a serious hindrance on kill streaks/weapon load-outs/use of other perks.

This.

That way it forces people into a playstyle rather than just being a one man army kill them all. hopefully this will also decrease the chance of a single most powerful build that dominates.

apparently 3arc are pretty serious about tornement level play this time, they were always much better at patches than infinity ward but hopefully the keep that shit balanced

soultron

Banned
Fuck you, Call of Duty.

Don't make me buy you again.

I'll wait for LeMax to play it and give his impressions of the new point-based allocation system. That guy is a beast and he really has a great sense of what is balanced and what is broken.

If this was Infinity Ward they'd give you a thousand points while everything only costs a max of 5 points, just so you can have an extra 990 just in case. They'd also make killstreaks give you more points to stack and allow you to add to your load-out midgame.

I genuinely think IW would do something stupid like that, thankfully though, this is not them.

I hope all this stuff and the variations of modes make it into Combat Training. In an ideal world everything that's in the MP game would also be in CT.

ace3skoot

I hope all this stuff and the variations of modes make it into Combat Training. In an ideal world everything that's in the MP game would also be in CT.

I won't forgive IW for not including Combat Training, 3arc really are the innovators when it comes to CoD.

considering the campaign difference, 8 player zombies and the shook up MP i think people accusing COD of being stale should rethink the stance...not that they will :p

soultron

Banned
Am I the only person who thought COD4 did it right just because of its simplicity?

Sure Juggernaut (and to a certain extent, Stopping Power), Last Stand, and Martyrdom were bullshit, but it still doesn't compare to the pure horseshit that was Marathon, 23525 Harriers in the sky, and the Nuke/MOAB.

Give me a few perks and the vanilla UAV/Air Strike/Attack Chopper. Thank you and goodnight.

EDIT: Agreed to Trey being the better COD studio as of late. I love the original IW guys, but I hated MW2.

Am I the only person who thought COD4 did it right just because of its simplicity?

Sure Juggernaut (and to a certain extent, Stopping Power), Last Stand, and Martyrdom were bullshit, but it still doesn't compare to the pure horseshit that was Marathon, 23525 Harriers in the sky, and the Nuke/MOAB.

Give me a few perks and the vanilla UAV/Air Strike/Attack Chopper. Thank you and goodnight.
that and a lot of the maps were good. The IW games got over excessive + the maps got worse and worse design so it was like an all out disaster.

Xater

I won't forgive IW for not including Combat Training, 3arc really are the innovators when it comes to CoD.

considering the campaign difference, 8 player zombies and the shook up MP i think people accusing COD of being stale should rethink the stance...not that they will :p

Can you please stop calling Treyarc "3arc"? What an annoying way to write their name, that doesn't even make any sense.

And yeah IW made a couple of mistakes. After MW3 I have the firm believe Treyarch are now the A-Developer. The problem with MW3 might have also been a too many cooks one.

EDIT: Agreed to Trey being the better COD studio as of late. I love the original IW guys, but I hated MW2.
Do you mean MW3? Because MW2 was West and Zampella's baby.

I hope they take assassin out of the game. You're at an immediate disadvantage for not using it and there is no equivalent counter perk, and even if there was it would be a choice between one or the other. Silencers should hide your shots on the mini map and nothing else. However since this is future warfare I believe they'll probably put even more bullshit in. I hope not. Also they either need to make more maps accommodate sniping as a support position across the map or just get rid of sniper rifles. Quick scoping is bullshit. Sniper rifles are not fun, they lose out vs ARs all the damn time and have LESS range for some reason.

soultron

Banned
I get burned out so fast when I try and play any newer COD MP except for maybe BLOPS. But magic host bullets meant that most of my play was relegated to CT.

But with COD4, even after playing it for 2 years, I can still go hours and hours with that thing. It's just too bad the console MP is hacked up pretty bad. You can go a few sessions without getting into the weird custom/hacked gametypes though, if you get lucky.

ace3skoot

I sort of agree about the simplistic approach, but even though MW2 was a flawed game in many ways the highs points were higher than any other cod. though the lows were pretty bad too. I mean Black Ops was a more consistent experience and i give it alot of credit for that, but goddam when you actually got a good game of MW2 is fantastic.

Can you please stop calling Treyarc "3arc"? What an annoying way to write their name, that doesn't even make any sense.

And yeah IW made a couple of mistakes. After MW3 I have the firm believe Treyarch are now the A-Developer. The problem with MW3 might have also been a too many cooks one.

ummm....

No. No I can not.

That's what clan their bots are though.

ace3skoot

I hope they take assassin out of the game. You're at an immediate disadvantage for not using it and there is no equivalent counter perk, and even if there was it would be a choice between one or the other. Silencers should hide your shots on the mini map and nothing else. However since this is future warfare I believe they'll probably put even more bullshit in. I hope not. Also they either need to make more maps accommodate sniping as a support position across the map or just get rid of sniper rifles. Quick scoping is bullshit. Sniper rifles are not fun, they lose out vs ARs all the damn time and have LESS range for some reason.

I feel you man, I don't snipe I'm not sure how to deal with snipers in CoD quick scoping is bullshit i agree, but then i do feel sniping in regular multiplaye ris underpowered, they were useless in black ops. I think the power of snipers in MW2 was about right minus crazy bullshit hit boxes and quick scoping

soultron

Banned
Do you mean MW3? Because MW2 was West and Zampella's baby.

Certain elements of MW2 seemed like logical progressions. Warlord was great, for example. Having CTF back was sweet too!

Other things, in my opinion, were steps backwards. The Nuke, dual wielding (fuck the 1887 especially), and the focus on killstreaks (and the constant overcrowding of the airspace) did funky things to the game.

I feel that MW3 was actually closer to COD4 because of things like strike packages. With some players forgoing killstreaks altogether, it meant that -- in some games -- you'd rarely see air support. Quiet(er) skies made it feel like COD4, if you feel me. (I still only lasted a week with MW3 before I traded it for BF3.)

It wasn't necessarily that the MW CODs, post-COD4, are less "realistic," it's just that the more fantastical elements that were introduced rubbed me the wrong way. I remember various IW staffers claiming that MW2 was them making a game they wanted to play, but I felt it wasn't being made for me. I appreciate the fact that they introduced a lot of new stuff, instead of just playing it safe -- even if I didn't like a lot of what they did.

ZeroRay

I get burned out so fast when I try and play any newer COD MP except for maybe BLOPS. But magic host bullets meant that most of my play was relegated to CT.

But with COD4, even after playing it for 2 years, I can still go hours and hours with that thing. It's just too bad the console MP is hacked up pretty bad. You can go a few sessions without getting into the weird custom/hacked gametypes though, if you get lucky.

COD4 feels like an anomaly at this point. The games still have the same great mechanics, but maps, netcode, and the perks/killstreaks of the new games take away from the initial fun and simplicity of COD4.

The one negative to this system is if they add more points through DLC....which they will...

Nah, this isn't EA. Activision is yet to take advantage of the quick unlock, buy bundles of XP/points/cash stuff other companies have tainted their shooter franchises with. I don't know why they'd start now.

This system sounds awesome. If the really good perks take up a lot of points, will really change the way the game plays out. I guess kill streaks do not take up points though? I wonder what kind of stuff we'll see.

soultron

Banned
COD4 feels like an anomaly at this point. The games still have the same great mechanics, but maps, netcode, and the perks/killstreaks of the new games take away from the initial fun and simplicity of COD4.

COD4 was fucking magical. /tear

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
I hope the knife is included in this customization. I rarely use grenades, knife, or my Secondary. Would love to load up my primary with perks.

Redux

Banned

Agreed. That and the likes of World at War. Those are the only two Call of Duty games I can go back play, and still have a blast.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

I always get scared to admit this, but deep down i know it to be true.
What i loved the most about COD4 and WaW is they were simple.....to this day when i have COD4 tourneys i still use a Naked AK74 or MP5SD. It takes me split seconds to get my COD4 classes ready.....in MW3 even if i kinda know what i want i spend a good few minutes setting stuff up.
I dont need or really want all the extra faf that MW3 has, level up your character, level up your gun, level up your perk, level up your level ups.

But i digress
On Topic
I like this idea....after i know the perk list ill properly decide just how much i love it.
I might be mad enough to just go with a bunch of perks and a machine pistol, if anything.

I wonder if Treyarch or IW would ever have the balls to scale back on MP and make it more like MW/W@W. Just simple gun on gun with some perks thrown in for strategy. What CoD is today reminds me of 3 dimensional chess from Big Bang Theory if anyone watches that show. You throw in more, then you gotta throw in counters, then counters for that, and so on until you just have too much shit.

ace3skoot

I wonder if Treyarch or IW would ever have the balls to scale back on MP and make it more like MW/W@W. Just simple gun on gun with some perks thrown in for strategy. What CoD is today reminds me of 3 dimensional chess from Big Bang Theory if anyone watches that show. You throw in more, then you gotta throw in counters, then counters for that, and so on until you just have too much shit.

Yeah I'm sort of with you there, but considering the setting i sort of doubt thats what we will get. I though black ops was pretty simplfyed compared to MW2/3 and pretty much everything had a counter, but i think there is something pure and unique about the COD4 experience that may never be replicated.

I think it was just one of those once in a generation games that are a little special, and the reason for it is slighty intangible. but i can't be replicated of improved with MORE!

COD4 was fucking magical. /tear

Same here. That game came out at the right time and at the right place in my life that no other game can even come close to matching from here on out. I know it seems a bit of an hyperbole, but that game took over my life in a very unexpected way. I remember trying to convince my friends that to go out and buy CoD4, because at they were all still playing Halo 3. Now none of those guys play Halo lol, just CoD. Magical indeed.

Admittedly I've lost interest in the series (Kinda wish i wasn't), but Black Ops 1 is still my second favorite CoD to date. Amazing singleplayer and a multiplayer that reminded me of 4. The whole point system there doing with 2 seems pretty legit, but i hope they switch things up even more. Treyarch dont mess around.

soultron

Banned
Same here. That game came out at the right time and at the right place in my life that no other game can even come close to matching from here on out. I know it seems a bit of an hyperbole, but that game took over my life in a very unexpected way. I remember trying to convince my friends that to go out and buy CoD4, because at they were all still playing Halo 3. Now none of those guys play Halo lol, just CoD. Magical indeed.

Admittedly I've lost interest in the series (Kinda wish i wasn't), but Black Ops 1 is still my second favorite CoD to date. Amazing singleplayer and a multiplayer that reminded me of 4. The whole point system there doing with 2 seems pretty legit, but i hope they switch things up even more. Treyarch dont mess around.
Are we twins?

I played COD4 straight for 2 years. I played very little else at that time.

BLOPS is my favourite after COD4. I actually thought the SP story was intriguing too. Great to see a functioning narrative structure instead of loading screen with dialogue.

Top Bottom