• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlottesville alt-right white nationalist torch rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokterian

Fuck this scum

YBdbcwt.jpg

Hello 1938 why are you back?

Also this not 'freedom of speech'.

mjp2417

Banned
So it turned out that -

The rally wasn't going to happen but it did

Actual nazis have always used the norms of democratic societies to undermine them from within. This is nothing new, but you would hope that after 80+ years said democratic norms would wise up to the charade. Like, don't decide to split up in the woods at night when a murderous clown with a chainsaw is hunting you, you stupid fucks.

Lime

The ACLU's agenda is protecting civil liberties as expressed in things like the constitution. Freedom of speech is part of those liberties.

the ACLU:
c4pt2ggueaes-vqbjub9.jpg

Citation needed.

The ACLU is ideological, so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. I think you mean something else with your statement that the ACLU is non-ideological? Do you mean that they are non-partisan?

The ACLU is ideological, so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. I think you mean something else with your statement that the ACLU is non-ideological? Do you mean that they are non-partisan?

Thinking that everyone has a right to speak regardless of their ideological beliefs is ideological?

Fine, I surrender.

the ACLU:
c4pt2ggueaes-vqbjub9.jpg

Free Speech as in being allowed to express whatever you want without the government going after you.

EDIT: Put in Quotes.

BBboy20

the ACLU:
c4pt2ggueaes-vqbjub9.jpg

They're ultimately a legal firm and what everyone is doing tonight and the coming days is legal. Legalities can only take you so far before social interaction from the people themselves become needed for change. That's where us comes in when when the ACLU's sphere of influence ends.

Mung

Take down the statue and grind it into pulp, and flush down the toilet. Do the same with all confederate statues.

Fuck their 'heritage'. It's the equivalent of Germans rallying for a nazi statue.

Lime

Free Speech as in being allowed to express whatever you want without the government going after you.

EDIT: Put in Quotes.

That doesn't have anything to do with what I was pointing out - i.e. that the ACLU are explicitly enabling the organization of neo-nazis whose aim is to threaten people and recruit/signalboost their aim to kill and oppress people of color. As I posted on the previous page, the ACLU encouraged and defended the organization of this rally in that particular place.

If people think that freedom of speech is so absolute that even neo-nazis should be allowed to organize and recruit, then you probably are oblivious or aren't affected by what the goals of neo-nazis like these want to achieve.

cdyhybrid

The problem isn't that neo-Nazis are allowed to speak, it's that large swaths of this country are 1) comfortable with their speech and 2) happy to take advantage of the benefits of their ideology.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Man, as an Austrian it makes me sick that all of this shit, all of their behavior and believes are based on my countries actions not that long ago. I know that if it wasn't Hitler it'd be something else but still....I can't help but feel partly responsible.

Fuck.

cdyhybrid

Man, as an Austrian it makes me sick that all of this shit, all of their behavior and believes are based on my countries actions not that long ago. I know that if it wasn't Hitler it'd be something else but still....I can't help but feel partly responsible.

Fuck.

Don't feel too bad, this country had perfected white supremacy long before Hitler was a twinkle in his parents' eyes.

Mung

Fuck.

Don't worry. Their actions are actually based on their own country's actions way before Hitler.

IrishNinja

Fuck this scum

YBdbcwt.jpg

i grew up in a black neighborhood and for years struggled with folks out there being semi-comfortable with dudes flying the rebel flag on occasion

i'd ask & get variants of "at least they don't pretend/motherfuckers know where they stand" and never really appreciated that shit until i fucked more with the left & watched people in 2k17 talk about all lives matter & how identity politics led to trump etc etc

it's like...damn. okay, now i get it.

Imagine being such a diluted remnant of your grandfather's worst genes that you can't even manage to tie an oily rag around a fuckin stick correctly so you just buy a fucking TIKI TORCH at Target.

And these motherfuckers think believe they're superior.

Godamn. Lmao

Edit: fucking tiki terrorist tommy hillfiger cardigan sweater wearing motherfuckers

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Don't feel too bad, this country had perfected white supremacy long before Hitler was a twinkle in his parents' eyes.

Don't worry. Their actions are actually based on their own country's actions way before Hitler.

Thanks.
It's just so....eerie seeing this. I remember when we first learned about our countries history in school, seeing all those images of rallies and me thinking how people could do this and how glad I am that it is all over now. I was 11 at the time, so obviously I had no idea this was still going on. I totally refused to even entertain the idea. Why would anybody, anybody associate themselves with Nazis? Right? Right?

*sigh*

Ms.Galaxy

The neo-nazis are going to be in a park on Sunday for another rally thanks to the ACLU :/

I'm really disgusted by the ACLU, but I guess this isn't something noew.

The ACLU needs to limit who they defend, and this shit is crossing the line. We're talking about a genocidal ideology who's main goal is to eradicate all those who do not match their vision of the "Übermensch". We're going to reach a point where these shithead fascists are going to start acting on their fascism and kill someone because they feel empowered.

If even a single protester against that Nazi rally gets hurt or dies in that park, I hope the family sues the ACLU as they are partially responsible for encouraging their empowerment.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Those tiki torches are hilarious.

I say "hilarious"; I mean they would be if it wasn't for the implications of this rally.

If people think that freedom of speech is so absolute that even neo-nazis should be allowed to organize and recruit, then you probably are oblivious or aren't affected by what the goals of neo-nazis like these want to achieve are familiar with US law.
We don't have to like it, but they do currently have that right. That's why the ACLU is involved. Not because they're sympathetic to Nazis or inconsiderate of minorities. Christ, man. Outside of first amendment cases (where they kind of have to defend awful speech because few people are trying to suppress speech that's generally agreeable) they do a ton of work on behalf of minorities and underprivileged people.

DavidDesu

The majority of the militarised police could easily be converted into Trump's version of the SS. Hopefully this is all a storm in a teacup but sadly I feel like in the current climate these idiots will grow and grow. They mocked Hitler and his views then look what happened.

Yes, Godwin's law blah blah. You have modern day neo Nazis in your country who think they're just ordinary fair minded citizens. This shit is happening. History repeats with depressing frequency.

Apt101

Regarding the ACLU talk, I suggest anyone critical of them look into the record of the cases they handle. Anyone can cherry pick their record to make them look like either Nazis or communists, but they do in fact defend freedom of speech consistently. If you don't like certain speech, especially hateful speech, good! That mean's you're a rational and compassionate human. But if you think that only speech you agree with should be defended, you're part of the problem. That is a slippery slope that is always, always, prophetic.

It all needs to be free. Let society deem what is bad. As long as it isn't advocating and organizing actual violence.

The majority of the militarised police could easily be converted into Trump's version of the SS. Hopefully this is all a storm in a teacup but sadly I feel like in the current climate these idiots will grow and grow. They mocked Hitler and his views then look what happened.

Yes, Godwin's law blah blah. You have modern day neo Nazis in your country who think they're just ordinary fair minded citizens. This shit is happening. History repeats with depressing frequency.

This is why I think a lot of people in blue states should seriously consider arming themselves just in case.

Ms.Galaxy

Regarding the ACLU talk, I suggest anyone critical of them look into the record of the cases they handle. Anyone can cherry pick their record to make them look like either Nazis or communists, but they do in fact defend freedom of speech consistently. If you don't like certain speech, especially hateful speech, good! That mean's you're a rational and compassionate human. But if you think that only speech you agree with should be defended, you're part of the problem. That is a slippery slope that is always, always, prophetic.

It all needs to be free. Let society deem what is bad. As long as it isn't advocating and organizing actual violence.

What the bloody hell do you think Fascism and Nazism is?! It's genocidal ideology supported by racial "science" that calls for the eradication of anyone who doesn't meet their ideal vision of the "master race".

eizarus

Banned

That's quite the contradiction there. And like we've seen time and time again, a lot of these neo-nazis are careful with their words and use them to manipulate the more idiotic side of their supporters to violence rather than get themselves in legal trouble. We've got the same thing here in the UK with both neo-nazis and jihadists. The Panorama documentaries had a segment on that when they hung around with a jihadist here called Abu Haleema.

I'm going off on a tangent, but my point is that people can manipulated, on a mass level. Nazi Germany, Eugenics-era USA (and much of Europe) should be perfect examples of what happens when freedom of speech is used in order to allow neo-nazis and supremacists (of any sort) to spread their bullshit.

DavidDesu

This is why I think a lot of people in blue states should seriously consider arming themselves just in case.

Yep. Funny how the gun nuts claim they need weapons to be able to rebel against fascist governance when many of them will become the fascist force that will need railed against by the good people that are left. In the words of Trump, Lock N Load (lefties!)!

Fuck this world and the stupid people that inhabit it. We have no excuse in the current age and we've seen the worst of history as a lesson and have managed to ignore it. Maybe half of us are just so easily swayed to evil that it will never be far away. Bring on the AI/Skynet world where robots decide everything for us to keep us safe and happy.

Exterminate all Nazi scum for they deserve nothing less

Moderates, it's easy to preach compassion when you're not at the top of the list for murdering

Also stop fellating people who preach for peace with Nazi cunts, Richard Spencer deserved worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom