• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roommates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
9sxzc.jpg

Fantastic post.

ATF487

don't leave the note, but:

1) buy a dorm fridge
2) tell them not to eat your stuff or you'll compensate with a lower rent payment
3) start sabotaging food you leave in the shared pantry/fridge

lunchtoast

How long have you lived there, and how many people do you live with? Seems weird to have fridge problems with a roommate or two, but I've never lived with strangers.

I really dont get the concept of living with strangers.

I know you gotta split the costs and all but Id rather be super poor and struggling than have roommates I dont know. I know a single mother living in a small condo with her 6 year old daughter, and she has a car. If she can do it so can you.

And some people would rather deal with the horror and pain of someone eating their food out of the refrigerator in a nice apartment while saving money than be poor and struggling.

zoukka

I really dont get the concept of living with strangers.

I know you gotta split the costs and all but Id rather be super poor and struggling than have roommates I dont know. I know a single mother living in a small condo with her 6 year old daughter, and she has a car. If she can do it so can you.

Living with strangers can help you grow as a human being. Also not everyone are afraid of new people and experiences.

You might find its not them but the GF they have round who doesn't know whose food is whose...I still find that a bit irresponsible. Anyway.

You have tried labeling the food? At least it stops the "I didunt kno" excuse.

I have to confess to being the opposite and being the "thief"* but I assume that by abandoning eggs until 2 weeks after their sell by or best before date you really won't miss them. Or leave vegetables until they've gone rotten...then replacing them with more vegetables that do the same (I should really have a word with that person sometime). Plus this makes space in the fridge so is a net win for all.

*-If we go by a legal definition (permanently depriving someone of the item...) the person who bought it stole it from themselves by forgetting they owned it.

buy your own fridge and keep it in your room. those little dorm fridges are cheap. problem solved.
It won't help if they're roommates since that implies they live in the same room (i.e. shared dorm). I assume Timedog meant housemates/flatshare.

The problem with those fridges is they can be tiny and/or rules can forbid them.

Loofy

Living with strangers can help you grow as a human being. Also not everyone are afraid of new people and experiences.
Sure I guess but when I moved out the number 1 reason for doing so was privacy and freedom. Sharing your bathroom, people eating your food, roommates who dont know how to use toilet paper(yes that was another thread on gaf) seems so opposite of what you'd want.

grumble

You might find its not them but the GF they have round who doesn't know whose food is whose...I still find that a bit irresponsible. Anyway.

You have tried labeling the food? At least it stops the "I didunt kno" excuse.

I have to confess to being the opposite and being the "thief"* but I assume that by abandoning eggs until 2 weeks after their sell by or best before date you really won't miss them. Or leave vegetables until they've gone rotten...then replacing them with more vegetables that do the same (I should really have a word with that person sometime). Plus this makes space in the fridge so is a net win for all.

*-If we go by a legal definition (permanently depriving someone of the item...) the person who bought it stole it from themselves by forgetting they owned it.

It won't help if they're roommates since that implies they live in the same room (i.e. shared dorm). I assume Timedog meant housemates/flatshare.

The problem with those fridges is they can be tiny and/or rules can forbid them.

Put a lock on it when you're not around.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Okay, I texted my roommates earlier since they're at work saying we needed to discuss food issues. One texted back and said "sorry about ur cottage cheese" (of which about 3/4ths of a huge tub got eaten). That disarmed me a bit and made me not want to punch someone's fucking lights out right this god damn second, so I took the note down.

Okay, I texted my roommates earlier since they're at work saying we needed to discuss food issues. One texted back and said "sorry about ur cottage cheese" (of which about 3/4ths of a huge tub got eaten). That disarmed me a bit and made me not want to punch someone's fucking lights out right this god damn second, so I took the note down.
Wasn't that fun?

Let's try something else.

I can see why Timedog doesn't want to talk to him face to face. I can't imagine dealing with an angry version of Timedog, I'd piss myself out of fear.

Anteater

He sounded sarcastic

LProtag

I go shopping with my roommates and we just split the bill evenly. Works out just fine as we all cook together.

Maybe stop turning everything into pizza.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Normal people can control their emotions. Especially over cottage cheese.

Yes because I'm only talking about cottage cheese here.

Also, normal people have a life and don't spend an inordinate amount of time trolling Timedog in threads, MC. I don't give a fuck what you do on GAF, or on the internet, or in real life. I don't constantly give you negative responses because you're not important to me. Apparently I'm pretty important to you though, so thank you very much for letting me live in your head, rent free, for so long.

MC Safety

The dude has been eating his food for a while now despite living across from a grocery store.

Hence the note and wanting to punch someone. I'd just use my words.

Yes because I'm only talking about cottage cheese here.

Also, normal people have a life and don't spend an inordinate amount of time trolling Timedog in threads, MC. I don't give a fuck what you do on GAF, or on the internet, or in real life. I don't constantly give you negative responses because you're not important to me. Apparently I'm pretty important to you though, so thank you very much for letting me live in your head, rent free, for so long.

Yeah, I'm not sure where this is coming from. I think you're a crap poster and all, but man ...

Koomaster

Just eat their food when you run out. When they buy more, eat that, and keep eating it until they bring it up with you. When doing so just say; 'Oh, thought it was cool since you guys were eating my food.' /trollface

In the off-chance that they never confront you about it because they are too afraid of a confrontation, hey, free food!!

Just eat their food when you run out. When they buy more, eat that, and keep eating it until they bring it up with you. When doing so just say; 'Oh, thought it was cool since you guys were eating my food.' /trollface

In the off-chance that they never confront you about it because they are too afraid of a confrontation, hey, free food!!

Usually the issue here is that food-mooching roommates never buy groceries themselves.

Totally understand the need to vent about shit like this. Roommates can be frustrating, especially when it feels like they aren't listening to you when you've tried to be rational. Glad you took the note down though because notes tend to do more harm than good.

I knew your name was Eric and you tried to lie to me.

Also, you guys need to talk it out. All the roommates I had in the military never gave me problems. We had rules. You eat it you replace. You drink it you buy more. The door is double locked don't come in. If you shave your balls in the rest room you have to clean it up.

owlbeak

Locked mini-fridge in your room, bro. Costs like $75 and solves these kinds of roommate problems, plus you can get cold beers without having to go to the kitchen. Throw in a piss jar and you're set. Win-Win-Win.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
No, just patronizing and dismissive. I think you earned it.
I'm sorry but you don't get to leave me "patronizing and dismissive" responses because I'm mad that someone wronged me(when i did nothing wrong), and then get all uppity about me being passive-aggressive to people that actually did something wrong. That's not how it works.

Hence the note and wanting to punch someone. I'd just use my words.

Yeah, I'm not sure where this is coming from. I think you're a crap poster and all, but man ...
If you've never wanted to punch someone then you're boring as fuck. Keep trolling me and feigning ignorance if you want. I'm gonna bring it up every time it happens from now on.

Usually the issue here is that food-mooching roommates never buy groceries themselves.
Yep. The main culprit also has never washed dishes or cleaned ANYTHING outside of his room, and has never bought a shared household item (toilet paper, cleaning stuff, etc) EVER. But we're going to talk about that whenever I see him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom