• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DW7E and Ken's Rage 2 are digital only on PS3 in NA and no dubs for everyone!

It's really a shame for Ken's Rage, the dub was surprisingly really good for the first game. Still won't stop me from picking it up day 1 though.

I'm a little surprised about the WO/DW series though, did their janitors start refusing to do voice work on the side? The corny voiceovers are part of the charm of those games.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's really a shame for Ken's Rage, the dub was surprisingly really good for the first game. Still won't stop me from picking it up day 1 though.

I'm a little surprised about the WO/DW series though, did their janitors start refusing to do voice work on the side? The corny voiceovers are part of the charm of those games.

Everybody remembers DW for the terrible VA, but actually, post-DW3, they started hiring well-known VAs to do the voice overs. Most of the voices from DW4 and onward have been pretty decent.

Everybody remembers DW for the terrible VA, but actually, post-DW3, they started hiring well-known VAs to do the voice overs. Most of the voices from DW4 and onward have been pretty decent.

I won't lie, DW 5/6 were okay for VAs. But the Orochi series brought quite a few hilariously voiced lines, and it just made co-op 10x better because of the amusement. Of course, I haven't played the latest DW or WO3 yet, so I dunno if they fixed any of that in those games.

The Boat

I prefer playing games and watching movies in the original language rather than suffering through a half-assed dub.

Me too even if the dubs aren't half-assed. This probably has to do with culture, I find it that people who live in US and UK want everything dubbed because they don't want to read subtitles, wouldn't be surprised if this was the case in countries where they dub everything (in movies and tv shows) like Spain or France.

vic2020

Neo Member
Dynasty warriors' english voices are amazing and add to the experience, especially in DW3. I dont fucking want japanese voices in my game

Exr

I've always been a huge fan of the Mousou games, but the 11 gig download size combined with the iceberg slow PSN service stopped me from getting Orochi 3. I was close to getting the import versions but then I saw the insane prices for them...hopefully these games aren't too big.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, WO3 soured me on buying these games from PSN. It was worth it, but I'm never doing it again. Too much of a pain in the ass, and they eat up too much HDD space.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Eu gets some love!?!? And italian is one of the very few languages present!?!? Is this real world!?!?

Seriously, i hope that niche japanese games(and possibly ff type0 and others) make the same instead of remaining in Japan.

ReaperXL7

Well I had no idea that kens rage 2 was coming to the wii u. If I pick one up I may just get it for the wii u.

Can someone explain the warriors orachi series to me though I'm aware that it's the same kind of gameplay as DW but what's the theme? Is warriors a spin-off of the samurai warriors series?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well I had no idea that kens rage 2 was coming to the wii u. If I pick one up I may just get it for the wii u.

Can someone explain the warriors orachi series to me though I'm aware that it's the same kind of gameplay as DW but what's the theme? Is warriors a spin-off of the samurai warriors series?

Warriors Orochi is a big mashup of the DW and SW series with a fantasy-based storyline holding it all together.

Mrbob

Warriors Orochi 3 has somewhat ruined the other main DW/SW games for me. There is so much awesome packed into the cast of characters at your disposal. If you haven't played Warriors Orochi 3, get it for the Wii U launch. It's the best, most fleshed out and packed main Musou game you can play.

I'm going to get DW7 Empires though, because the Empires games rule. Well most of them do.

onken

I didn't even know Kens Rage 2 had been announced, I loved the first game, fuck the haters.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
DW7E will be the last game I buy from Koei over here since I'm pretty sure some of the DLC from 7 and XL carry over to it. Importing from Europe from now on. I really don't like digital only if I can get a physical copy.

vic2020

Neo Member
Warriors Orochi 3 has somewhat ruined the other main DW/SW games for me. There is so much awesome packed into the cast of characters at your disposal. If you haven't played Warriors Orochi 3, get it for the Wii U launch. It's the best, most fleshed out and packed main Musou game you can play.

I'm going to get DW7 Empires though, because the Empires games rule. Well most of them do.

Are you limited to only playing empire mode as a character created character or can you choose from shu/wei/wu/jin cast in the empire games?

DW7E will be the last game I buy from Koei over here since I'm pretty sure some of the DLC from 7 and XL carry over to it. Importing from Europe from now on. I really don't like digital only if I can get a physical copy.

For sure the costumes that you bought from 7 and XL will carry over. Weapons maybe?

Mrbob

Are you limited to only playing empire mode as a character created character or can you choose from shu/wei/wu/jin cast in the empire games?

That's a good question. I'm not sure how DW7 Empires is set up. I'm going to guess...yes? If you were a ruler in DW6 Empires you could choose what officer you want to send into battle. If you were just an officer you could choose other officers you were "friends" with.

ReaperXL7

Warriors Orochi is a big mashup of the DW and SW series with a fantasy-based storyline holding it all together.

Sounds pretty cool I might have to check that one out aswell. Does it have a character creator or is it characters from both series in one like a capcom vs game?

If I can't make my own character I would atleast hope lu bu is avalible as so far he is my favorite character in dw7 extreme

CamHostage

Doesn't bode well for jojo...

...Except that Capcom released JoJo Arcade HD internationally (digitally, albeit, but it still could have easily have been a Japan-only release since this franchise has only a niche fandom outside Japan.) Still could very easily never come over, but that "test" project might have drummed up some interest.

(It is NB putting the new JoJos out instead of Capcom though, so the two aren't truly related, and I don't think the franchise holder really had any interest in pushing Capcom to get some feelers out on further JoJos viability...)

(On the other hand, Namco Bandai has continued to put out all three DW Gundam games despite it being clear even before the first one was localized that there is hardly any market weight there, so...)

Sounds pretty cool I might have to check that one out aswell. Does it have a character creator or is it characters from both series in one like a capcom vs game?

If I can't make my own character I would atleast hope lu bu is avalible as so far he is my favorite character in dw7 extreme

Nope, it just features all the characters from the two musou series plus some of its own. So pretty much any playable character that appeared in a Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors game is playable there expect for crossover characters like that Nintendo based one in Samurai Warriors 3.

So yes, you can play as Lu Bu.

Gravijah

Me too even if the dubs aren't half-assed. This probably has to do with culture, I find it that people who live in US and UK want everything dubbed because they don't want to read subtitles, wouldn't be surprised if this was the case in countries where they dub everything (in movies and tv shows) like Spain or France.

i read subtitles. i turn them on in everything i play. i want games dubbed.

Mrbob

No custom creator in Warriors Orochi 3, but you don't need it. There are around 120 characters in the game.

It has all the characters from Dynasty/Samurai Warriors, but there are a ton of guest characters too from various Tecmo Koei games. For example, Ryu Hayabusa can be unlocked and so can Ayane. Ryu is a boss in the game, he is my go too guy.

Lu Bu is available. He just needs to be unlocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue12hLl9Ba8

Noi

I first misread Orochi 3 Hyper as Samurai Warriors 3 and was pissed that there'd be another version of that game coming out in the US, but no plans to bring over the Sengoku Musou 3Z/Empires.

Kind of disappointing that digital only seems to be the future for Koei games titles. I'm not a stickler for dubs, but the games aren't exactly tiny to download. Better than Capcom's attitude towards BASARA in the west, I guess.

Kind of disappointing that digital only seems to be the future for Koei games titles. I'm not a stickler for dubs, but the games aren't exactly tiny to download. Better than Capcom's attitude towards BASARA in the west, I guess.

Yeah, my only gripe is that the games are stupidly huge to download. My stock hard drive can only last so long!

Sqorgar

Banned
Kind of disappointing that digital only seems to be the future for Koei games titles.
Technically, digital-only is only the future of the PS3 games in the US. This isn't Koei's fault. They still release discs on other platforms and in other territories.

sleepykyo

Why can't the gameplay in Hokuto be good? :(

Because they can milk the FotNS license. Kind of like the whole 30fps fighting game where the director claimed he wasn't making a fighting game he was making FotNS star game. The FotNS games will always be mediocre because the game play is irrelevant anyway.

mintylurb

I don't mind Koei doing digital onry release in NA but these should be $15-$20 less than retail price, not just $10. Anyway, will probably buy dw7e but not sure about ken's rage 2..since the first one was just awful.

Sqorgar

Banned
Because they can milk the FotNS license. Kind of like the whole 30fps fighting game where the director claimed he wasn't making a fighting game he was making FotNS star game. The FotNS games will always be mediocre because the game play is irrelevant anyway.

Anyway, will probably buy dw7e but not sure about ken's rage 2..since the first one was just awful.

You guys are insane. FotNS:Ken's Rage was awesome. Best Musou game. You just need to learn how to play it better.

Only thing I miss in a sub-only Koei game is the "Koei Guy." I don't know his name, but he's narrated pretty much every historical Koei game since as far back as I can remember. Love that guy...

Haunted

I'm fine with that, keeps costs down. Surely those savings will be passed on to the consumer, right?

...right?

Tizoc

not having a dub is stupid as hell.

it's annoying in Yakuza, too, because they're too lazy to sub voices in minigames, some flavor voices around town, etc.

Don't see why words like 'Yosh!' or 'Shimata' need to be translated/have text for, and I do believe you know what they mean to not need it translated.

Well EU will msot likely get a disc release, so here's looking forward to it~

Hypron

I never liked dubbed games (I know they are all dubbed, but I'm talking about games dubbed in other languages than the one they've been made in), tv-shows, animes or movies (learning another language really opens your eyes on how inferior dubbings are in general), so I have absolutely no problem with this.

A.E Suggs

Nintendo doesn't give a shit. So long as you pass lotcheck and come in under an Adult ESRB/PEGI rating, you can publish whatever you want.

Sad, nintendo why you no love me :(.

no dubs is a bummer :/
digital only is too but oh well
Yeah I guess koei thinks everyone has 120gb worth of HDD space. I don like this DD future were heading to.

I never liked dubbed games (I know they are all dubbed, but I'm talking about games dubbed in other languages than the one they've been made in), tv-shows, animes or movies (learning another language really opens your eyes on how inferior dubbings are in general), so I have absolutely no problem with this.

Well it should also open your eyes to how bad or stale some of the japanese VA's are in some of koei games.

Top Bottom