• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP) Slowdown Removal Patch

B.K.

Patch

Installation instructions

The biggest complain about the PSP version of Final Fantasy Tactics is the slowdown during attack animations. This patch removes that. I have tested it on a ISO that I have ripped myself and on the UMD. It works on both. I don't know about the PSN version. I don't have that on my PSP.

0.1.3 is the latest version of the patch, so download it. You have to have a PSP with custom firmware or a temporary custom firmware to use the patch. There's also a patch that changes the game back to its original aspect ratio. Apparently, the PSP version zooms and stretches the original picture of the game.

It's a shame that SQenix couldn't be arsed to fix this, even in non-PSP version (though this shows this could have been fixed even for the PSP).

Remember how SE used to say this problem was impossible to fix because it had something to do with the engine or something?

Aeana

If it does really get rid of it completely, I'm pretty excited about it. And the thread linked says it works with the PSN version too, so that's great.

I'd care more if I actually had the time to replay this game.
Nowadays I'm lucky if I can get an hour of gaming in besides the weekends.

Zoe

Nice. I finally got around to ripping all my FF UMD's, so I'll have to give this a shot.

JJD

Would a patch like that even work on a Vita? Doesn't it require custom firmware on the PSP?

I'm interested in this. FF Tactics is one of the first games I plan to buy when I finally get my Vita on may...

JJD

It won't work on Vita. You need a PSP with custom firmware. Your PSP has to be able to run plugins.

Yeah...I imagined that...

How's you experience with the game on the Vita? I played it from start to finish a long time ago on the PS1 and I'm looking forward to doing it again on the Vita.

B.K.

How's you experience with the game on the Vita? I played it from start to finish on the PS1 and I'm looking forward to doing it again on the Vita.

It's a bit more blurry than I was expected. The game doesn't scale as well as I had hoped. Especially the text. The worst part is the slowdown. With this patch, I'll never play the game on Vita again after I finish it this time. I'm at the end of Chapter 3. I'm going to finish it.

aett

Awesome! I wanted to replay this the other day, but the slowdown was too frustrating for me. Perfect timing.

I've tested it. It works. After playing the game on my Vita for the last week and a half, the game almost seems too fast now.

I'm totally out of the PSP loop, but how is it possible to patch the game and play it on a Vita? I thought the game would only be usable on a Jailbroken PSP with custom firmware.

B.K.

I'm totally out of PSP loop, but how is it possible to patch the game and play it on a Vita?

It's not. I've been playing the PSN version of the game on my Vita. I tested the patch on my PSP 2000. I was just saying that after being used to the slowdown on the Vita, the game seemed almost too fast without it.

hutna

any videos of what the game looks like with the patch applied?

i'd like to do it, but it seems like a decent amount of work to rip the UMD and patch it. i wasn't someone who found the slowdown a deal breaker with this game; honestly i didn't even really notice it much, but i'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Big-E

I remember people here were saying it wasn't too bad, then I tried it and could not comprehend how people could have said that when compared to the original. I missed out on all the new story stuff because the version was unplayable and FFT is easily top 5 games of all time for me. Glad this exists but now I don't have a working PSP. I could play this on a Vita right? Might have to get one in the summer.

hutna

I remember people here were saying it wasn't too bad, then I tried it and could not comprehend how people could have said that when compared to the original. I missed out on all the new story stuff because the version was unplayable and FFT is easily top 5 games of all time for me. Glad this exists but now I don't have a working PSP. I could play this on a Vita right? Might have to get one in the summer.

i've never understood how people could think a turn-based SRPG could be rendered "unplayable" by some slowdown. i mean there's hyperbole then there's just nonsense.

Big-E

i've never understood how people could think a turn-based SRPG could be rendered "unplayable" by some slowdown. i mean there's hyperbole then there's just nonsense.

The fact that animations literally double in time when I have played the game through on the PS1 numerous times means I am used to the game playing a certain way. I like to quickly level some times and I would like to cast accumulate and now I am waiting twice as long to do it. I had the Playstation version so I went back to that.

Magnus

Good god, I love the internet.

I've been enjoying playing the game on my iPhone on and off for the last few months, but man, it's just appalling how bad the slowdown and framedrops are.

I own the UMD and the iOS edition, and will happily switch back to playing this on my Go if I can learn how to rip the UMD with my old PSP-2000 and apply this patch. Finally, the best possible version of this game! Yay.

So now the ipad version is dethroned as the best version?

Can a 'modded version' count as the 'best version'?

Wait... nvm There will be upgraded sprites coming to the ios version in the future... which might make it the best or the worst version depending on how it's done ;)

Nice! Now to decide between playing the one I just bought off of PSN on the amazing Vita screen with slowdown, or using this patch on my UMD copy and playing on my CFW 3000.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is there also a patch to make the text size big ? i remember getting a huge headache for staring into the screen so intensely.

hutna

The fact that animations literally double in time when I have played the game through on the PS1 numerous times means I am used to the game playing a certain way. I like to quickly level some times and I would like to cast accumulate and now I am waiting twice as long to do it. I had the Playstation version so I went back to that.

Fair enough, I guess I just have the patience to not notice a 2 second animation becoming a 4 second animation so much that I would deem the game "unplayable."

Does it fix the music? That is always what bothered me in the PSP release. It sounds like they took out all the reverb or something. It sounds really off to me, and that combined with the slow down completely turned me off. The game is great if you have never played it (PSP version or otherwise), but for me, I rather just play Tactics Ogre instead.

Top Bottom