• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ coming to PS4 at retail and digital

The retail part is new, right?

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ coming to #PS4 at retail and digital
Maybe with a PS4 preorder bonus!
Are you ready for another run?
ddgsoeoumaaoruguruk9.jpg

Cincaid

Been waiting a long time for this, finally they at least confirmed it's coming (even if they haven't given a release date yet).

Cincaid

Some things I wonder about... will the digital version release worldwide? Since Nicalis seems dodgy on releasing stuff in the EU. And also, will this be its own standalone thing, and not DLC for Rebirth?

G-Bus

Banned
I'm curious what the consensus is about this one.

I've read more then once now it was a bit weak and to just stay with afterbirth? Or if your playing on PC skip this and just get antibirth.

Really into afterbirth as of late. Been playing nightly for the last few weeks. If it's priced accordingly I'll probably bite. Can't say no to more content.

Nzyme32

I've read more then once now it was a bit weak and to just stay with afterbirth? Or if your playing on PC skip this and just get antibirth.

Really into afterbirth as of late. Been playing nightly for the last few weeks. If it's priced accordingly I'll probably bite. Can't say no to more content.

Nonsense imo. It's great. Perhaps not as massive and transformative as Afterbirth but utterly worthwhile, especially with the workshop support

AB+ was garbage when it was first released. Obnoxiously hard, ridiculously unfair and tedious boss fights, outright broken enemies that hit you with no chance to even react, annoying enemies that were extremely common to the point of stupidity.

It was a terrible DLC and made the game significantly worse. You might be seeing impressions from people who posted them during that first month, or who just never went back to see how they managed to fix up everything.

6 months worth of patches and it's like night and day. It's a completely different experience that's actually fun, while still adding some challenge. AB+ adds some of the best trinkets in the game, has some really fun items, great music on the new chapter, and "every so often" updates that add new items, enemies and achievements.

I feel like I need a flowchart to keep track of how many iterations Binding of Isaac has lol
There are two "branches" of Isaac

"Original Isaac"
Binding of Isaac is the original Flash game
Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb is DLC that adds more bosses, more floors, more items, trinkets, a lot of stuff we take for granted these days
Binding of Isaac: Eternal Edition, a free DLC update released after Rebirth was released. Adds a new hard mode with "Eternal" enemies, along with an addition trinket "The Game Squid." It's extremely poorly balanced and not a good addition, but can mostly be ignored.

"Rebirth Isaac"
Binding of Isaac Rebirth is a remake of the original game + Wrath of Lamb. On top of that, it adds an addition DLC size update to the original/WoL content to add way more items, characters, etc. Nothing from the Eternal Edition is included (obviously since EE came out after Rebirth)
Binding of Isaac Afterbirth is DLC for Rebirth that adds new characters, a new game mode, more items, enemies, etc, the usual stuff for a DLC update. Quite a lot of useful quality of life changes as well.
Binding of Isaac Afterbirth + is DLC for Afterbirth. So it's DLC for DLC. It adds new enemies, items, you know the drill. Also some additional quality of life tweaks. On the PC it adds official mod support. Every few months new content is added via making a few mods official.

Capra

Hopefully we can get the original art as a reversible cover because goddamn, that's so much better.

Also I guess my years of somehow never getting around to buying Isaac have paid off. Can't wait to pick this up.

Vashetti

Banned
I hope they improve the PS4 performance, the game is surprisingly choppy even on my Pro with Boost Mode.

Crashes quite frequently too. Needs optimisation.

sdzero

Neo Member
My PS4 just downloaded update 1.09, patch notes say "Preparation for Afterbirth+ DLC".

Hopefully that means soon!

Cincaid

So this is releasing today in NA, but as far as I know there are still no news regarding the EU release. Does anyone know if DLC bought in another region will work if the base game is bought in another? I have the base game from the EU store, and since Nicalis are giving exactly zero information I'm thinking about buying the DLC from the NA store.

So this is releasing today in NA, but as far as I know there are still no news regarding the EU release. Does anyone know if DLC bought in another region will work if the base game is bought in another? I have the base game from the EU store, and since Nicalis are giving exactly zero information I'm thinking about buying the DLC from the NA store.

No! Don't do it.

DLC is region restricted in like 99% of games. There aren't many exceptions to this - even in-game microtransactions in every game are region limited, preventing an off-region account from accessing them entirely.

Cincaid

No! Don't do it.

DLC is region restricted in like 99% of games. There aren't many exceptions to this - even in-game microtransactions in every game are region limited, preventing an off-region account from accessing them entirely.

Okay, thanks for the reply! Guess I'll just wait for the EU release then. :(

And never mind: seems it was released today!! Found on the Swedish PSN store.

Top Bottom