• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii-k in Review 6/8

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/795/795160p1.html

BBA- Solid game, challenges are fun, good drinking game, wish it had true online but Wiiconnect works very well, wish it had more challenges though.

Scarface- not a lot of gestures, lot of IR stuff, good GTA type game, just overall impressed- "really cool", good writing.

RE4- GC visuals, superior version of RE4, not quite perfect- one quirk in the controls- can't look up and down with the Wiimote- up down left right movement done by analog stick- feels odd- feels like a light gun game. Dramatic speed difference in shooting compared to GC version because of the controls. Some off the waggle controls aren't needed- wagging the knife is unnecessary. But overall its the best version. Best looking realistic looking game on Wii :lol

The Bigs- Uses pretty decent Wii waggle, pretty cool bat tracking, exclusive coming up on the Wii version.

Madden- hands on next week.

Ghost squad- Very much the arcade game with added multiplayer support. Disappointed that its running in 4:3. Easy cash in- fun game, but not a ton added to the Wii version. Bitching about developers not putting in progressive scan and 16:9.

Nintendo changes- Further semi-confirmation of the 3 marketing execs leaving. Speculates that Nintendo is shifting their focus- trying to be more aggressive within the industry. You can tell Matt isn't happy.

DQ:Swords- They played it. It's fun and cool. Mostly just swords stuff. Very simple. Can upgrade and combine weapons. Leave the towns and enter paths, then you are on set paths but can sometimes choose what way. Basically completely on rails. Old school- random battles. Sword swiping is cool, there is some strategy to it. Not incredibly deep. Game might be longer than you think- at least 10 hours, maybe 15 plus. No loading when enemies come. Visuals aren't quite as good as we thought, but good bloom and little effects, and main character animations are good. Nothing more to it than what you think, but thinks people will like it. Thinks it will sell well, especially in Japan. Doesn't think it will be released in the U.S anytime soon.

Mercury Meltdown- Fun game, good Wiimote functionality. Will get a solid score. A little shallow, but puzzles will keep you busy.

Explanation of Wii debugger software

New RPG's- some new RPG's on the way. Hinting at sequal to RPG that came out same time as Baten Katos..Matt- "I might as well just tell you. Bozon- keep faith in Crystal Chronicles. It's going to be good.

NHL EA- No news. Probably not coming until next year if it comes.

3 EA sports games to talk about- FIFA is one of them. 2 others- not sure if they've been announced.

RE4- No GC controller support

For next year- Thinks Wii Sports 2, Wii Health, Pikmin, and sure there are other surprises.

Re: Hardware announcements- haven't heard anything, but thinks its likely to have a hard drive and headset announced soon- just logically thinking, no inside info.

FF:CC- Think multiplayer will be downplayed, single player focused likely.

Great multiplayer games- for Wii BBA is a good multiplayer game, Strikers- Bozon psyched,Battalion Wars will be a great multi player game.

Re: big developers switching over. Suspects SC 4 to 360/PS3. Big test is Manhunt- if it does well, will show that adult games sell well.

End of show nugget- "Cool stuff we could tell you about, but then we'd get killed. " Some announcements to make with 3rd parties, but nothing major. Thinks they're going to get stuff before E3.

Sorry if I missed anything guys

Eteric Rice said:
So DQSwords doesn't look as good as we originally thought?

What?

Bozon said the small trailers on Japanese sites were a little deceiving due to their size, and the game is a bit more blurry at its real size. But he said the game still has good visuals with nice effects.

Eteric Rice

Alkaliine said:
Bozon said the small trailers on Japanese sites were a little deceiving due to their size, and the game is a bit more blurry at its real size. But he said the game still has good visuals with nice effects.

Bah.

I suppose the Wii graphics bashing will continue. :|

schuelma

Eteric Rice said:
Bah.

I suppose the Wii graphics bashing will continue. :|

I don't think they thought it was bad..just not quite amazing.

Diablos54

Hcoregamer00 said:
Hell no, they should port over tales of the abyss and make the sequel.
Considering PAL never got TotA, I agree with this awesome idea.

trying to be more aggressive within the industry. You can tell Matt isn't happy.

And this is bad, why?

schuelma

OP updated with summary. Again, sorry if I missed anything.

jvalioli

Some misinformation and their "I think"s have already been clarified by other publications. But at least the RPG tidbit was nice.
Diablos54 said:

trying to be more aggressive within the industry. You can tell Matt isn't happy.

And this is bad, why?
He misses Perrin!

schuelma

Speculation on the other 2 EA sports games? I'm guessing its Tiger Woods and NBA Live. Any other possibilities?

Eteric Rice

schuelma said:
New RPG's- some new RPG's on the way. Hinting at sequal to RPG that came out same time as Baten Katos..Matt- "I might as well just tell you. Bozon- keep faith in Crystal Chronicles. It's going to be good.

YES!

schuelma

Seraph830 said:
I thought CVX confirmed that you could use both GC and Classic Controller on it.

Maybe they're just stupid? From the podcast, they just tried to find a way to make it work and they couldn't..maybe they're missing something.

schuelma said:
Maybe they're just stupid? From the podcast, they just tried to find a way to make it work and they couldn't..maybe they're missing something.
I'm more inclined to believe the person who's said they've done it rather than the person who says they haven't, since it's possible the latter just haven't figured it out.

thefro

Eteric Rice said:
They should keep trying. You can't build Rome in a day. Just look at Phoenix Wright.

There is no "trying"... Symphonia sold very, very well in the US and probably was close to a Worldwide million-seller on the Cube (it was over 750k worldwide by the end of 2004). Namco's crazy for not releasing a sequel already.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Diablos54 said:

And this is bad, why?

How horrible, you guys missed what is one of the best Tales games ever made.

:(

thefro said:
Namco's crazy for not releasing a sequel already.

They are also crazy for never releasing a version of Tales of the Abyss for the Gamecube or the Wii. The console is starving for RPG's and they would have an entire market for themselves with a Wii release.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Diablos54 said:

And this is bad, why?

His girlfriend.

Somnid

As far as the RE4 thing goes they have the supposed final build running on their debug kit but it's entirely possible that the GCN and CC modes were disabled in the version they have. Or they didn't specifically go looking for it. Eitherway we know it's there.

And LOL at Matt making drunken phone calls to Dennis Dyack.

fernoca

Nintendo changes- Further semi-confirmation of the 3 marketing execs leaving. Speculates that Nintendo is shifting their focus- trying to be more aggressive within the industry. You can tell Matt isn't happy.

And when the fudge is he happy? :lol
-Nintendo announced Revolution = Matt pissed off
-Nintendo announced non-HD = Matt pissed off
-Nintendo announced regular DVDs = Matt pissed off
-Nintendo announced Wii as the name = Matt pissed off

For EVERYTHING Nintendo announces, he's the first one complaining and whining...to just later start licking and scratching Nintendo's back..because he ended liking all that anyway..and wants some exclusives for IGN..

Pffft.. :lol

schuelma

titiklabingapat said:
The nothing major bit, is he talking about pre-E3 announcements or E3 stuff he has inside info on?

Almost positive he was talking about pre E3 stuff.

Testicular Sound Express said:
seriously, im tired of hearing this. whena re we gonna see some results of this?

If I were to go back in time a couple of years, and tell you the "Revolution" was getting exclusive versions of:

Resident Evil
Soul Calibur
Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest
Rygar
The Sims
SSX

and new third party IPs (Red Steel, Dewey's Adventure, etc) you'd either shit your pants or call me a crazy fanboy. Granted alot of these are unproven spin-offs, but I think these types of announcements are only going to get more common.

The system hasn't even been out for a year yet.

ethelred

schuelma said:
Hinting at sequal to RPG that came out same time as Baten Katos..

Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII came out about a month and a half apart from Baten Kaitos. Wait, wouldn't a sequel to that be...?

Wiitard

Banned
schuelma said:
Speculation on the other 2 EA sports games? I'm guessing its Tiger Woods and NBA Live. Any other possibilities?

I say one of them has to Fight Night - because it was talked about in an interview but not really announced. Hence the uncertain status. Tiger Woods was certainly announced and, I think, NBA live as well.

schuelma

Wiitard said:
I say one of them has to Fight Night - because it was talked about in an interview but not really announced. Hence the uncertain status. Tiger Woods was certainly announced and, I think, NBA live as well.

I hope you're right..but they acted like they were probably already announced..and we haven't heard anything even semi official about Fight Night.

Wiitard

Banned
schuelma said:
I hope you're right..but they acted like they were probably already announced..and we haven't heard anything even semi official about Fight Night.

Is that not semi-official enough for you:

"We're talking about it right now. We're contemplating and we definitely feel there are some exciting things we can do with the Fight Night franchise and the Wii. When you play Wii Boxing it is a very simple experience and I think that is what they designed it to be just to let you know that you can throw punches. With Fight Night we have an amazing simulation of Boxing and so we need to take those Wii controls and tailor it to what the Fight Night consumer might want to experience. We are looking at it right now and I am sure you will something some time in the future on the Wii"

?

DyTonic

Banned
trying to be more aggressive within the industry

So they fire some top execs who weren't aggressive enough?

I am sure if they were valuable to the company they would've receive a raise or a nice deal with what ever move they are making.

Top Bottom