• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We create "magazine ads" for the hell of it. Now: Two Out Rally

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Sword Familiar said:
I also thought the SFIV one came up rather suddenly. Wasn't expecting it, so naturally, since I wanted to do one, I rushed mine so that I wouldn't spoil my chances.
I think one per week is better. Also, the best thing would be to be able to submit your work when it's done instead of showing it directly. Alternatively, set a date to reveal your work.
That way, no one can say they stole another person's idea AND it would probably make more people join in since they won't think that "everything's been done already".

How about it?

Edit: Guess Shig came up with this before me ^^. Sorry for not noticing. Must have read your mind or something.

orioto

Good Art™
Shig said:
Personally speaking, this thing is going at way too fast a pace for me to even bother keeping up. 6 topics in 2 weeks is an utterly ridiculous and unsustainable pace, I'm not surprised in the least to see signs of burnout. Make the topics weekly, let people stew their ideas more and get more of a chance at some downtime to work on them, and you'll see more, and better-realized, submissions.

I was saying that some days ago in this thread but nobody gave a fuck about it :lol :(

bathala

Banned
as requested. HQ
sfivad02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/djtrent07/sfivad02.jpg

Well here's what I came up with. I have one with the title phrase in it but I don't know if I like it as much as without, but you can see both anyway, the phrase is where my theme came from after all. I think the SFIV title is so strong on it's own anyway.

SFIVnoTitle.jpg

And with the title phrase.
SFIVwTitle.jpg

FoxSpirit said:
Good point, I definitely support this.
*looks at Anihawk*
How about it, let SFIV stew a bit longer. Espcially if you want this topic to keep going for a year... 1 ad per week will be a good deal for all who are interested. Gives you something to think during some dull working hours.
My 2c :)
I agree, but there is a concern of festering too much on one game, some artists might lack in ideas in certain games and become frustrated and bored as they wait for the topic to shift.

FoxSpirit

octopusman said:
I agree, but there is a concern of festering too much on one game, some artists might lack in ideas in certain games and become frustrated and bored as they wait for the topic to shift.

Why should you become frustrated? You don't HAVE to do it. Same goes for bored... if I had to choose burnout vs boredom, I can always do other stuff when bored. Burnout, not really.

It's more frustrating to kinda have an idea after 1 day and only have 1 more day to put it into motion. That creates real stress.

So I say turn down the heat a bit and give people the chance to cook their ideas in a relaxed timeframe.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
mik lives up to his tag again. Awesome stuff man.

Possible quote for another female fighter poster:

“I do not believe in using women in combat, because females are too fierce”
- Margaret Mead

mik

mik is unbeatable
Sinatar said:
Possible quote for another female fighter poster:

“I do not believe in using women in combat, because females are too fierce”
- Margaret Mead
Love it. Updated my post with that one. Thanks!

octopusman said:

I don't know. Maybe two games at once in separate categories? Example could be an FPS and a platformer. Choose one or do them both. You have a week to do it which still gives you more time then the two days if you wanted to do both. That way, for those who don't care about SFIV could move on to L4D instead of just having a group of people sitting out for a week. It wouldn't bother me seeing more than one type of ad at once. Would break it up and possibly be even better.

Vinci

Danish
BenjaminBirdie said:
Jesus, man. Not only does mik have the ridiculous design chops. Conceptually he is just killing this shit! Putting on a clinic!

Bastard better be getting PMs from every company going, "So, um ... are you interested in having some work? Like, ALL OF IT?! WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!"

mik

mik is unbeatable
abstract alien said:
Thanks a bunch!!! I couldnt get it to come out how I would have liked, but i guess the message got across good enough :D
That is rad. I swear to Jesus I didn't swipe your idea--I already had this in progress when I saw yours and thought, "oops."

sf4-revenge.jpg

Vinci said:
Bastard better be getting PMs from every company going, "So, um ... are you interested in having some work? Like, ALL OF IT?! WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!"

If he's not already gainfully employed by a design firm somewhere I'd be really surprised. Dude has the skills, professional style!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I have to say, mik's is more than professional (except for the blurry/misshapen quarters and the border on the capcom logo), it's perfect. The nuance, the in-joke, and the irony all hit the perfect note. Well done.

Above, I think xintin's might very well be the best ad* in the entire thread (except for his red/white paint Mirror's Edge). *That said, I think his are clearly bordering on artwork, of which I would like to hang on my wall rather than as an effective advertisement.

Btw, I'm with whoever said we should slow this down. Maybe not 1 per week, because then the thread would die, but the one every two days is unsustainable. Maybe have two separate days, like Mondays and Thursdays for putting up new ads? Also, I think Ani should establish a better way to pick the next target, like letting him come up with 4-5 ideas and then taking an unofficial vote or something.

And Red Scarlet, I think Xintin deserves the third Professional tag on this board.

Tamanon - Professional Bastard
PantherLotus - Professional Schmuck
Xintin - Professional Artiste

AniHawk

Here's my compromise: I'm extending the Street Fighter IV due date by one day.

You can still do ads after that and post them, but the topic will be switching over to Left 4 Dead.

Read the OP. I'm always updating it with due dates. And now, you'll know the due date for projects as well as what the next project will be. So for Left 4 Dead, you'll have had essentially 5 days to get things done. You'll have six days to do the one AFTER Left 4 Dead counting the 3 days for that game and the one after.

As far as ideas go, this is not a voting thread, but I am paying attention to suggestions, otherwise we wouldn't have done MadWorld or Team Fortress 2.

Sound fair?

Vinci

Danish
So two Valve games? Starting to notice a trend. :D

How about Audiosurf at some point? Might force some creativity out of folks in a different way.

AniHawk

Vinci said:
So two Valve games? Starting to notice a trend. :D

How about Audiosurf at some point? Might force some creativity out of folks in a different way.

Yeah, I mentioned before that it's one we'll do.

Linkzg said:
Dead Rising would be great, or God Hand

Probably no Dead Rising for a bit, considering L4D's next.

Anyway, SFIV's looking to be more popular than MadWorld at this rate. 41 entries so far. 17% of them are mik's.

AniHawk said:
Sound fair?

I just don't think you are going to be able to keep the thread going as effectively as you want to if you keep the assignments at two days apiece. Two per week sounds better to me. But you're the boss.

I see no objection whatsoever to you just picking the games with input from the thread, though; that'll work out better than voting anyway.

Vinci

Danish
PantherLotus said:
Tempting not to use this:

[IM]http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs14/f/2007/077/7/1/Street_Fighter_6_Cover_by_UdonCrew.jpg[/IM]

from deviantart.

WOW.

That's Alvin Lee, man. He's a comic book artist. If that's on deviantart, I doubt it's with his permission. And yes, he's awesome.

AniHawk

charlequin said:
I just don't think you are going to be able to keep the thread going as effectively as you want to if you keep the assignments at two days apiece. Two per week sounds better to me. But you're the boss.

Okay, if it wasn't clear before, here's how it's working now:

3 days per project to post said project. You will also know what the next project is when the due date for the current one is posted. You essentially have six days to work on something now, and will be turning in something twice a week if you wish to turn something in. Also, I'm extending SFIV by one day. And if you were paying attention to the OP in the first place, you would have known L4D was next sometime last night.

Top Bottom