• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

DJKhaled

Finished it last night, not bad but very cringey fighting, I hope the main actor gets some lessons before Defenders starts filming and definitely before season 2.

mm04

Ward was definitely a highlight for me too.

Yeah, I liked Ward. He wasn't really evil. A dick at times, yes, but he was honest with his self-assessment to Danny at the end. Also, it's just crazy he's the same guy who played Kurt on Banshee. Oh and that quick Job cameo made me double-take.

GeeTeeCee

I'm four episodes in, and while I'm increasingly starting to see elements of what I originally wanted from the show, it's still wrapped up in a bunch of stuff I'm not enjoying nearly as much.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Series Spoilers

I figured The Hand was just a global cabal of evil people who like doing evil stuff. Nobu had his own shit with ninjas while Gao has her drug trade. I mean Bakuto is part of a South American branch, though I guess there's a throughline with Brazil having a significant Japanese community.

I think the Hand was pretty well defined in DD, but they kinda expanded it in IF without giving good details about it, outside of there's the good Hand and the bad Hand. Like, why is the Hand a threat to a mystical city that appears every 15 years? The IF is suppose to destroy the Hand, but he's just a glorified bouncer.

I wonder if there's anyone in charge of continuity that actually okayed this.

After having watched the show in it's entirety on Friday, here are my more recent thoughts:

Still really dislike Claire now. Iron Fist really soured me on her after I liked her in DareDevil and Luke Cage.
I don't think she ever needed to pick up the claws and start fighting. It's just not believable. I also don't like her giving Danny so much shit when he's potentially the most powerful out of the Four.

When the hell does this series take place in comparison to the other 3? In between? Before, after? I hear references to the other 3 shows but don't see how it could be after DareDevil S2, so... not sure on that one.

The soundtrack isn't sure which show it was for. It's like they saw how much people liked Luke Cage's and were like "Here let's throw some of that in there!" and then they threw some Stranger Things in there for good affect.

The fight scenes were weak too, especially after being spoiled by DareDevil.
I can't believe how little the IRON FIST was used in a show about the IRON FIST... the only time he used it for anything other than punching something was to heal Colleen and deflect one bullet.
Really, really weak, even if the basis of these shows are to be more grounded than the MCU movies.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
When the hell does this series take place in comparison to the other 3? In between? Before, after? I hear references to the other 3 shows but don't see how it could be after DareDevil S2, so... not sure on that one.
The timeline should be the same as its released. DD1-> JJ -> DD2 -> LC-> IF

It's referenced that Claire fought the Hand and doesn't work at Metro General. Luke Cage is also back to being incarcerated.

The only thing you have to keep in mind is that the Netflix series is way behind in the MCU timeline.

What completely ruined it for me was the sets. When they went to "China", and fought those hand guards (lol), the image quality looked horrendous and fake. Not to mention the fights themselves(convenient one-on-ones) was just as bad.

Were they even trying? I totally gave this show a chance. Sheesh

LordRaptor

I think the Hand was pretty well defined in DD, but they kinda expanded it in IF without giving good details about it, outside of there's the good Hand and the bad Hand. Like, why is the Hand a threat to a mystical city that appears every 15 years? The IF is suppose to destroy the Hand, but he's just a glorified bouncer.

I wonder if there's anyone in charge of continuity that actually okayed this.

There is no 'good' hand. Like when there's some Hydra in fighting at the start of AOS S3, theres no 'good Hydra'.
As for being specifically a threat to K'un Lun, I think its more "see a hand, kill a hand" because they're bad news rather than a thing they're specifically afraid of

Kevinroc

The show's lack of any kind of real budget damaged the show tremendously. The fight choreography was also not where it should have been. And this bled into everything.

It's rather unfortunate that this series is what people will think of when they hear "Iron Fist." Fraction and co.'s work on Immortal Iron Fist is some of my favorite Marvel work ever published.

Fafnir

I fell asleep watching one of the later episodes, woke up and they are looking for a tablet. I'm thinking it's some ancient tablet that has the secrets to Meachum's immortality or a map to K'un-Lun. NOPE, it's a Samsung Galaxy that has info on taking down Meachum's business. Crappy thing is this is probably the most believable part of the series as it's how the South Korean President got impeached.

Also saw this on reddit Iron Fist needed a mask... so that someone else could do the fight scenes while pretending to be Danny Rand

I can't stand watching hipster Iron Fist fighting in skinny jeans, hoodie, hipster beard, and white shoes. They should have shaved the beard after he got the company back.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Ending spoilers:
Why do people keep saying Davos joined with Gao? She's obviously eavesdropping on the conversation between Joy and him. There's nothing to indicate that they're together.

J_Viper

w6EgfuO.png

Ezalc

Just finished episode 11 and Iron Fist is just boring. Harold is easily the best character in this, though I also like Davos.

I still think I like it better than JJ and LC because those while started out good and went to absolute shit, IF just kind stayed it's mediocre path all throughout, so I guess it wins for consistency in mediocrity. Plus, Faramir is totes awesome in this guys.

Watched the first episode of this. It kind of feels like they were trying to remake Arrow, with the exact same production values (or lack thereof). Also,
the random backflip over a car because he stepped into the road for no reason was 100% pure Arsenal.

So... this is probably going to be the first Marvel Netflix show that I actually love. The cheese is strong with this one.

Da-Kid

Here's my take on the show... But first.

Why do these Netflix shows lack spectacle? CGI is rarely ever used and when it is it's so lack luster. Even AoS has better spectacle than these shows.

OK now to Iron Fist.

Listen, don't have a show about a Kung-fu master from a mystical place that killed a Dragon to get incredible powers and set it in New York and only talk about that shit.

JUST WHY?

We NEVER get to see Kun Lun, ever except in the distance. There wasn't even really any mystical aspects to the show except for his Fist and Goa's force push. I question if this show really even had a budget. If shows with significantly lower budgets can do more, why didn't this at all?

Flash did a whole Gorilla city. This show just failed at what it should have been.

Here's my take on the show... But first.

Why do these Netflix shows lack spectacle? CGI is rarely ever used and when it is it's so lack luster. Even AoS has better spectacle than these shows.

OK now to Iron Fist.

Listen, don't have a show about a Kung-fu master from a mystical place that killed a Dragon to get incredible powers and set it in New York and only talk about that shit.

JUST WHY?

We NEVER get to see Kun Lun, ever except in the distance. There wasn't even really any mystical aspects to the show except for his Fist and Goa's force push. I question if this show really even had a budget. If shows with significantly lower budgets can do more, why didn't this at all?

Flash did a whole Gorilla city. This show just failed at what it should have been.

I'm gonna go ahead and blame Scott Buck's lack of vision and imagination.

I mean, you could even just do the dragon as a fucking bare minimum vision quest if you wanna keep it grounded.

I feel bad for the cast to be saddled with a terrible cast and lame showrunner.

Started episode 5, it's tolerable. Fights are disappointing.

Episode 4's Hallway fight could have been so much better. They needed to let Finn train more. You need an actor that has to love the physicality if they aren't gonna be wearing a mask. Charlie Cox and Charlie Brewster in Daredevil can get away with it cause they have the mask, but if you're gonna have Finn Jones unmasked in a kung fu show, he needs to train longer and harder. They need a John Wick style method of shooting, and Keanu levels of prep.

I don't blame Finn, he's fine. He's a decent enough Danny, and you can tell there's a sincerity and likability that's good for the character (I'm leaving the white/Asian thing aside until I finish the series), but yeah... he needed more.

3 episodes in.. Definitely the worst of the shows. Not horrible but worst.

The fighting seems very planned and slowed down. Lacks the umph of the other shows. But still liking it

Tom Pelphrey as Ward is great though. I first saw this guy in Cinemax's Banshee and he is just a fantastic actor. I hope he cuts loose soon. I loved his grey, intense, wound up performance as a Neo-Nazi-turned-cop in Banshee.

banshee-3c39710-03.jpg

oh lol Claire. Randomly just meets another superhero.

I want Claire to turn out to be the main villain in Defenders and she backstabs all of them and orchestrated all of the plots of each individual hero.

She's behind Kingpin, Kilgrave, Cottonmouth, Black Mariah, Diamondback, Gao, etc.

I will say though: Marvel continues having a great cast, really. They know how to pick good actors for the roles. But goddamn this writing. How'd they fuck up so bad on that front.

Edit: Someone please GIF that scene in episode 5 where Ward is giving the finger. Amazing.

Edit: AHhhahahAhahahaha Danny Rand is
a virgin.
I dunno why I found this amusing, I just do.

SRG01

Maybe more exciting but good lord these characters say and do the dumbest shit. Even more so in the last few episodes.

To be fair, the dialog in this show is completely unacceptable. Did they not have a script doctor on set to look this stuff over?

I also watched Doctor Strange over the weekend for the first time, and on the two:

Davos and Mordo follow the exact same arc. They both seem like the same character. Davos wants to steal the Iron Fist/kill Danny. Mordo wants to steal Strange's magic/kill Strange.

KarmaCow

The back end is immensely better than the first few episodes. It's the reverse of Luke Cage.

I wouldn't go that far. **Finale spoilers**
The fight itself was terrible but the two red lights reminding him of the dragon was so awful I had to rewind it make sure what the fuck actually happened. The Diamondback fight in Luke Cage was better than that shit.

Sanctuary

I also watched Doctor Strange over the weekend for the first time, and on the two:

Mordo wants to steal Strange's magic/kill Strange.

What? I just watched it recently again myself, and I didn't get that from it at all. They just had wildly different views.

Am I the only one who thinks the lead looks like poor casting and has a super unflattering haircut?

No, and it's been mentioned numerous times in this thread.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Davos and Mordo follow the exact same arc. They both seem like the same character. Davos wants to steal the Iron Fist/kill Danny. Mordo wants to steal Strange's magic/kill Strange.

Mordo isn't jealous. He thinks sorcerers (starting with the Ancient One) are hypocrites, and that makes them dangerous. The dude is devout to a fault.

Sora_N

I feel like none of what any character does in the show makes any sense but I actually enjoy it still. Definitely not a great show but has some decent moments

Ward Meachum and Danny Rand are, surprisingly, the most interesting pair of characters on screen. I like when these two are in scenes together. They bounce off one another well. I think these two actors just have very interesting, exasperated, chemistry with each other.

Lol, where did the set budget for episode 6 go? Up Scott Buck's nose?

All these trials, in a lame dilapidated grey warehouse. But the concept of this episode is pretty good. The sequence with
The Bride
is good. They could have set this whole episode as a cat and mouse game between her and a wounded Danny. Really dig into his mind.

I really like Ward but yikes this
drug addict
subplot came out of NOWHERE.

I really like Ward but yikes this
drug addict
subplot came out of NOWHERE.

Not really. You see him continually
taking pills out of his jacket pocket when Harold calls him. I at first thought they were like blood pressure meds, but it becomes clear over time that he's been popping painkillers the whole time.
It's not a huge shock as much as it slowly creeps up and becomes painfully obvious around that point.

Not really. You see him continually
taking pills out of his jacket pocket when Harold calls him. I at first thought they were like blood pressure meds, but it becomes clear over time that he's been popping painkillers the whole time.
It's not a huge shock as much as it slowly creeps up and becomes painfully obvious around that point.

Ooooh yeah, you're right.

You know, this could have been an interesting show about abusive fathers and sons, with Ward/Harold and Danny having dreams of The Thunderer

Shaanyboi

Banned
After witnessing that sorry fucking excuse of the Bride of Nine Spiders...

ironfist2kjvs.gif

Reading this topic I honestly wonder if people just zoned out anytime there wasn't any fighting (which is a huge chunk of the show) based on the number of criticisms about things that are straight up spoonfed to the viewer as pretty clumsy exposition.

I mean, yeah, I enjoyed it, but the number of times they chekovs gun things to the viewer I assumed was because its a comics books show so they felt they need to patronise the audience a bit, but then I came here and I'm like... really? they didn't go far enough with that?

or I was only up to episode 3, and that explanation doesn't come until later. Thanks for the condescension though.

Top Bottom