• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Machine unboxing

Orayn

looks great, price? specs? :D

No prices, but these are the specs for the prototype units.

• GPU: some units with NVIDIA Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
  • CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
  • RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
  • Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
  • Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
  • Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

Grrr. This wooden box. And the controller.

Moreover - free hardware for 300 Steam users. I love their promotional strategy. They already won. I need the Gabepad.

wizzbang

Banned
Grrr. This wooden box. And the controller.

Moreover - free hardware for 300 Steam users. I love their promotional strategy. They already won. I need the Gabepad.

What do you mean free hardware for 300 users? It's for testing, this thing will probably be tested for a good 6 months at least before it's available. Furthermore there's 2 or 3 levels of hardware, some users got a beast, some got a pretty regular PC IIRC.

We also don't know if it's noisy or quiet, how reliable it is, we don't know if they'll be asked to return the consoles at the end of the beta or not either.

I think it's a great way of testing the machines but let's not lose our minds here.

What do you mean free hardware for 300 users? It's for testing, this thing will probably be tested for a good 6 months at least before it's available. Furthermore there's 2 or 3 levels of hardware, some users got a beast, some got a pretty regular PC IIRC.

We also don't know if it's noisy or quiet, how reliable it is, we don't know if they'll be asked to return the consoles at the end of the beta or not either.

I think it's a great way of testing the machines but let's not lose our minds here.

I'm going to say "no"

Can I hack this box? Run another OS? Change the hardware? Install my own software? Use it to build a robot?
Sure.

Knight.

Neo Member
Cool crate to store your console lol. Controller is weird without sticks on it though. Would love to check it out myself.

Apdiddy

The controller looks really nice and everything in a wooden box is quite cool.

Although the actual Steam Machine looks pretty disappointing to me. Forgive me for thinking this, but my thoughts were, "Congratulations, you've unboxed a VCR in a wooden crate."

Still, anyone who got to be one of the 300 users is still pretty lucky.

Top Bottom