• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires Definitive Edition exclusively in the Windows Store

Kent

If you're having problems with the Windows Store, make sure you're on the latest Windows 10 update (version 1703, build 15063.632 is current as of right now).

After that, Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Troubleshoot -> Windows Store Apps.

It'll probably fix them, as it runs through most of the common solutions you'll find online. If it doesn't, you can probably fix them by resetting Windows.

GLAMr

After the shitshow that was my Lumia 950, plus the closure of Groove, I'm a little nervous about buying from the Windows Store. Plus I'm also a Linux user, and Steam is great for a mixed Windows/Linux user with no Xbox like me. I've got nothing against the Store, I'd just rather wait for the wrinkles to iron out and for the platform to prove itself.

+1 for "I'll wait for Steam".

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'm still confused why they don't turn the Xbox app on Windows 10 into some kind of steam alternative.
It would still use the same backend infrastructure as the windows store so i don't really see the reason.

Unless you are talking about having all of your games listed in the xbox app, thats already in there. Although i would rather just use the start menu, taskbar to launch my games. I don't want to go through another app.

Aeqvitas

Guess steam port begging isn't considered port begging.

Anyways I'm in, I always thought AoE1 needed more love, almost no other games set in the ancient world, grand strategy tends to be middle ages or more recent. I love the middle ages, but I love the Minoans more.

I'll pick it up on the Windows Store, especially if they bring it to Xbox One with k+m support. I've been eyeing a few changes to my living room to accommodate this.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I wasn't sure if I would have time to devote towards this remake, but this news makes my decision an easy one.

Mivey

I wonder how many franchises it takes for Microsoft to understand that nothing can save the Windows Store from itself. No system seller can help alleviate that. Hell, even a somewhat functional app store should see some massive apps using it to provide easy, centralized updates to customer, and yet, everyone is avoid it like the plague. There's a reason there.

Arulan

Guess steam port begging isn't considered port begging.

Speaking for myself, a game doesn't need to be on Steam. GOG is excellent as well. Even clients such as Uplay and Origin, which offer me no incentive to use them, and ultimately force people to by dangling exclusives on a pole, I would use if I really wanted to play something (I believe Might & Magic X - Legacy was the last one that I recall for Uplay). The Microsoft Store is something else...

JaggedSac

Yeah, I haven't installed Creators Update, because it ships with broken drivers (and doesn't let install drivers for manufacturer or older windows drivers).

No reason to think AOE would allow earlier versions.

Creators Update hasn't released outside of preview yet.

kswiston

i don't think a late release on Steam will get those numbers

Age of Empires 3 released like a decade late on Steam.

And even if we restrict things to Digital Distribution, it was on a different version of the Windows Store well over a year before it moved to Steam. I got it for 10 cents during some promotion. Of course, Microsoft laughed all the way to the bank with my dime, since my access is lost in the ether.

Tailer

I had to disable/uninstall game bar/xbox related things because it was making league of legends stutter every 2 seconds(doesn't take it away completely but does make a huge difference) and as such couldn't get into beta anymore so that's the hardest pass anyone could possibly ever make for me.

Lucreto

My laptop won't let me sign in Xbox live. I keep getting try again later.

As much as I love Age of Empires and would dedicate so much of my time to it I won't buy it until it is on steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've said this a few times now, but that Microsoft created a Steam <-> XBL network API that was beta-tested in Rise of Nations and, more to the point, then implemented in Killer Instinct has me firmly believing it's only a matter of time before WinStore exclusivity becomes a thing of the past.

Giolon

Damn, and I was so excited for this too. Sorry, MS, your loss. I have more than enough other games to spend my money and time on.

Bluth54

I've said this a few times now, but that Microsoft created a Steam <-> XBL network API that was beta-tested in Rise of Nations and, more to the point, then implemented in Killer Instinct has me firmly believing it's only a matter of time before WinStore exclusivity becomes a thing of the past.

Yeah I think Microsoft knows by this point that most PC gamers aren't interested in the Windows 10 store and probably just want to make as much money on PC gamers by releasing their games on Steam as well.

If the Windows Store was just another storefront, this would be entirely fine. But since it's a walled garden, MS's attempt to destroy most of what is great about PCs by adding in licensing fees and such, this is not fine. I agree that it's unlikely that AoE Definitive Edition will stay Win10 Store-exclusive forever, but that they keep pushing this, their not-really-Windows separate mobile or console-style storefront, is really not good.

And it's kind of a tragedy here, because while it has aged in some ways, Age of Empires was a great game at the time and still holds up reasonably well. I hope that this edition adds being able to queue unit production in buildings though, that's one big thing I missed when I played some AoE 1 again recently for the first time in a long time...

DrGrus

If you think its broke then maybe you should learn how to use a computer, maybe its user error. Its so broke but i can download and play games.... its easier to complain about personal failures, generally people who are fine are in the silent minority.

I have no problems downloading and installing games from GOG or Steam. So far I have not successfully installed a single game on the first try from the windows store.

If my limited computer experience is good enough for GOG and Steam then I will buy my games at those stores instead of the store that forces me "learn how to use a computer".

FyreWulff

it's annoying because Microsoft had a great UI for a game client right under their nose - the Zune software.

Q5A5wsQl.png

They shipped this UI in 2006. Steam took 10-11 years to catch up to this design. All they had to do was put games in the left part, game info in the center, and extra stuff in the right. Go look at the Steam client now, it's pretty much this now.

Even in current Windows 10 you have to, for reasons I will never understand, go digging in small icons in the UI to even download games you've bought.

_Aaron_

It will sell badly.

A year later, MS will release it on Steam with Windows 7 support, just like Halo Wars, Quantum Break and Killer Instinct.

Then the people who bought it on the Windows store will complain about not being given the Steam version for free while Windows Store version craps itself and fails to install.

danmaku

How fitting that MS is bringing back the franchise that they screwed once already only to fuck it up again thanks to the WS.

They severely misjudged my desire to play this.

I will be taking a pass on this game, sadly, or not, since I have a working-just-fine version of AoE on Steam.

Nabs

(achievements, cloud saves, multiplayer on the fastest, more reliable gaming network and more)

XwURxQu.png

If the Windows Store was just another storefront, this would be entirely fine. But since it's a walled garden, MS's attempt to destroy most of what is great about PCs by adding in licensing fees and such, this is not fine. I agree that it's unlikely that AoE Definitive Edition will stay Win10 Store-exclusive forever, but that they keep pushing this, their not-really-Windows separate mobile or console-style storefront, is really not good.

And it's kind of a tragedy here, because while it has aged in some ways, Age of Empires was a great game at the time and still holds up reasonably well. I hope that this edition adds being able to queue unit production in buildings though, that's one big thing I missed when I played some AoE 1 again recently for the first time in a long time...
WTF?

Top Bottom