• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Zackat

I'm assuming that person hasn't played Ryu or Juri or Alex or F.A.N.G or Laura.
giphy.gif

Kappa.png

Wait.

Laura.

I see you, luce.

They really should be a standard move or something, like Flickering Psycho Shot upgrades it to Psycho Stream.

I just really wanted his V-Trigger to be summoning Psycho Dad as his stand.

Yeah that would have been great. Maybe his v-skill will let him have more fun when he gets a new one.

I could see them giving him a few more moves or so.

Danke from best of v thought Abigail was the worst character in the game lol

Like really

lol fucking impossible. Abby's not even lower mid. Like high mid at worst.

But he's def not the best. He's got a lot of good shit on paper but he's super slow, he has no reversals/wakeup options, his parry isn't broken enough that it's useful for every situation, and he has to chase people around the screen.

mbpm1

Laura

Lowra

Low tier

Wake up sheeple

I learned Abigail has 1 frame armor on ex run in vtrigger tho so at least he has that

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
People are calling Abby the best character in the game on Twitter.

Like, I think he's good. Like really good. But some people are high on these combo videos tbh.

Edit: I was really hoping for Zeku to be Garuda. That would have been so cool :(

Best? He is definitely the most fun, followed by Kolin. Ed did end up feeling unfinished/boring/one-note.

Btw, how's it going for you with the Akuma match-up?

My problem with Ed is that some of his moves seem like they weren't thought out at all.

Like, Psycho Upper's range is so short that it whiffs when cancelled from max range crMK, yet it moves him forward too much to be used as a reliable anti-air even on reaction. Thus, its only purpose is as a combo ender and even there are better options for many scenarios.

I don't think he's an awful character or anything, but a few smart buffs in the right places could make him a serious contender, in my opinion.

Laura

Lowra

Low tier

Wake up sheeple

I learned Abigail has 1 frame armor on ex run in vtrigger tho so at least he has that

blocked cr.mk into ex run in trigger feels great because they'll try and jab you but they can't do shit.

Best? He is definitely the most fun, followed by Kolin. Ed did end up feeling unfinished/boring/one-note.

Btw, how's it going for you with the Akuma match-up?

Jabbing works! Converting into hard damage is difficult because I'm still getting comboed into oblivion when I whiff something. So I kinda rely on the jumpins with airfireballs and swat them and Akuma away, leading into a juicy knockdown situation. I'll usually back away a bit and go into maybe a st mp into ex giant flip once they whiff something or bait out a dp. But the real smart ones are patient, and opening them up is still hard.

MCD250

So how's the DLC characters rank so far?

Akuma - high tier?
Kolin - upper mid-tier?
Ed - mid-tier?
Abigail - ???

Trickster

Akuma - high tier?
Kolin - upper mid-tier?
Ed - mid-tier?
Abigail - ???

Abigail feels like straight broken tier to me so far lol. Can't do anything against him, got some advice in the old thread and none of it is working :|

Akuma - high tier?
Kolin - upper mid-tier?
Ed - mid-tier?
Abigail - ???
Abigail definitely has the makings of a high tier character. Very good V-Trigger, great damage, command grab, solid damage from AAs.

He has his weaknesses sure but his strengths definitely outrank them.

cHaotix8

Abigail actually seems like a pretty decent character to me in my short stint with him. He has an answer for every situation and a very versatile tool-set in a game with few options. The huge damage is just a plus. His biggest weakness is lack of defensive options and slow normals, but his v-reversal is one of the best and kind of makes up for that.

Laura seems like she mashes his head in though.

VariantX

I'm assuming that person hasn't played Ryu or Juri or Alex or F.A.N.G or Laura.

Seriously. Ryu's stubby ass normals still drive me nuts almost 3 years in. Getting some range back on his s.LK was breath of fresh air. I still play him though...I'm part of the problem.

Marvel

could never
Standard or V-trigger devil's reverse against an Abi just get's parried lol. Which frustrates me since he gets the full combo of off part of my presssure. Heh.

Danke from best of v thought Abigail was the worst character in the game lol

Like really

Daigo apparently said he thinks Abigail is really weak too and he's been using him a lot hmm

Standard or V-trigger devil's reverse against an Abi just get's parried lol. Which frustrates me since he gets the full combo of off part of my presssure. Heh.

Your pressure that starts from a fullscreen jump in that's 17f invincible and +13 on block

im sleep tho

you deserve to get parried tbh

UncleMeat

Probably doesn't mean much to you guys since I'm in a lower league, super silver, but as a Ken player Abilgail has been my easiest matchup of the game so far. I have to play kind of a bitchy style which is fireballs and then hard DP or hard tatsu when he comes in because it get's through his armor and then punish on wakeup, rinse/repeat. A good percentage don't take the rematch even in casuals and I can't say that I blame them.

And ya, I'm just going to jump in and start posting in this thread since I was a major lurker in the last one when I started playing the game again a few months ago. Cfn is DrRockso_21 if anyone in the US wants to add me and I know you all love to play against silver Kens.

Great OT and thread title.

My problem with Ed is that some of his moves seem like they weren't thought out at all.

Like, Psycho Upper's range is so short that it whiffs when cancelled from max range crMK, yet it moves him forward too much to be used as a reliable anti-air even on reaction. Thus, its only purpose is as a combo ender and even there are better options for many scenarios.

I think Ed is probably one of the most thought out characters because of his simple controls. Moves whiffing at certain ranges is completely intentional.

If you're going to give a character single press specials, then you're going to have to balance them by making them NOT mash friendly. You have to be even more deliberate with your ranges.

Also, Psycho Upper is still used a lot as a combo ender...and, it's cancellable into CA.

I don't know why people still think this roster's gameplay is just thrown together recklessly. Look how balanced this game is. Look how few truly game breaking glitches there have been. No infinites. Nothing TO's have had to ban. Sooner or later we have to admit that it's not an accident.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jabbing works! Converting into hard damage is difficult because I'm still getting comboed into oblivion when I whiff something. So I kinda rely on the jumpins with airfireballs and swat them and Akuma away, leading into a juicy knockdown situation. I'll usually back away a bit and go into maybe a st mp into ex giant flip once they whiff something or bait out a dp. But the real smart ones are patient, and opening them up is still hard.

I'm still learning to juggle off his cr.FP AA into Giant Flip on reaction. I'm not sure if it only connects off a CC or just a regular AA.

Probably doesn't mean much to you guys since I'm in a lower league, super silver, but as a Ken player Abilgail has been my easiest matchup of the game so far. I have to play kind of a bitchy style which is fireballs and then hard DP or hard tatsu when he comes in because it get's through his armor and then punish on wakeup, rinse/repeat. A good percentage don't take the rematch even in casuals and I can't say that I blame them.

And ya, I'm just going to jump in and start posting in this thread since I was a major lurker in the last one when I started playing the game again a few months ago. Cfn is DrRockso_21 if anyone in the US wants to add me and I know you all love to play against silver Kens.

Great OT and thread title.

Welcome to the thread!
Unfortunately we are not on the same continent. Otherwise I would gladly have played some matches with you.

UncleMeat

Ucchedavāda;245295612 said:
Welcome to the thread!
Unfortunately we are not on the same continent. Otherwise I would gladly have played some matches with you.

Lol! Thanks. Ya this community's love for Ken may have been part of what scared me away for so long....but now it just fuels me.

I think Ed is probably one of the most thought out characters because of his simple controls. Moves whiffing at certain ranges is completely intentional.

If you're going to give a character single press specials, then you're going to have to balance them by making them NOT mash friendly. You have to be even more deliberate with your ranges.

Also, Psycho Upper is still used a lot as a combo ender...and, it's cancellable into CA.

I don't know why people still think this roster's gameplay is just thrown together recklessly. Look how balanced this game is. Look how few truly game breaking glitches there have been. No infinites. Nothing TO's have had to ban. Sooner or later we have to admit that it's not an accident.

Whoa buddy, I never said anything about the gameplay being thrown together recklessly. Ed's my sub; my thoughts are based on hundreds of matches played with him both online and at locals, not just some idle chatter.

Even if his specials were designed to whiff at max range that doesn't just excuse his other design problems, though. Ed feels like he's on the cusp of being a great character, but he's held back by a multitude of small, easily-tweaked issues. I'm not gonna just sit here and accept the justification of "he's SUPPOSED to have issues!" when my boy is within arm's reach of excellence.

Edzi

People are overestimating Abigail now because nobody is used to the gimmicks yet. He's not weak, but his strength is going to be in his normals once people get used to him. He's going to be explosive due to his high damage, but he gets completely overwhelmed once you can get in on him.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
People are overestimating Abigail now because nobody is used to the gimmicks yet. He's not weak, but his strength is going to be in his normals once people get used to him. He's going to be explosive due to his high damage, but he gets completely overwhelmed once you can get in on him.

I agree with this. Like I mentioned, if his Giant Flip only had more advantage on block, they could have been as useful as Hugo's claps were.

DR2K

Banned
Fought my first Abagil. His hurt box is a lot smaller than his frame. I understand why it's this way, as he would be completely useless otherwise. Why make a character like this in the first place? Once the novelty of this character wears off it'll just be a obscure character no one actually wants or uses. aka Fang.

Yea I can't see Capcom fixing this by S3 lol.

I'd rather they just give every character a decent AA jab instead of just a select few.

Hurtboxes & hit boxes are very easy to adjust. They just aren't going to make any major gameplay changes to the game until CC 2017 has finished up.

Fought my first Abagil. His hurt box is a lot smaller than his frame. I understand why it's this way, as he would be completely useless otherwise. Why make a character like this in the first place? Once the novelty of this character wears off it'll just be a obscure character no one actually wants or uses. aka Fang.

Abigail actually has a ton of strong things in his kit, and is among some of the most immediately fun of any of the DLC characters. He's got a lot going for him in terms of potential.

leroidys

Meh, I really think Jabs should get stuffed. It's pretty stupid IMO. Game should make you use AA moves for AA, I don't understand why the hurtbox on Jabs aren't fixed yet. No one should be jabbing you out of the air. Already annoying enough everyone is mashing jab on wakeup.

Season 3 plz...I can't take Necali's nonsense anymore.
You can pry Alex's jab AA from my cold, dead hands.

kikiribu

Abigail is already a better and more popular character than FANG ever was. The comparison is weak.

Hurtboxes & hit boxes are very easy to adjust. They just aren't going to make any major gameplay changes to the game until CC 2017 has finished up.
Yes but will they make those adjustments? Does Capcom see an issue with AA jabs or is it a feature?

Just like how I thought they were getting rid of throw loops but ended up only taking away Ryu's lol.

Thanks. I lost about 500 points immediately thereafter to a Platinum Abigail, so that was fun.
Yeah, I thought it would be fairly normal path to Master, just play a few hours everyday. I seem to win more than I lose, but some days the points just don't go up. I imagine Ultra Diamond is the hardest hill to climb towards Master.

I may just stop at Ultra, I just get too pissed losing 160+ points for one loss lol.

I don't know how you do it...

Top Bottom