• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Victim of prank call to Kate Middleton hospital found dead in suspected suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
that is incredibly sad :[

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
A terrible tragedy but kind of an overreaction to an ostensibly harmless prank, to put it mildly. And now we have to put up with the fucking awful combination of Britain, Royals and Newspaper outrage.

Even if presented with that possibility- guys, what if the switchboard operator offs herself after putting us through to the real patsy? You'd laugh and make the call anyway.

tmarques

Normally I'd say there's no way the two episodes are related, but then again a good portion of the British *are* weird when it comes to that family of useless leeches.

Double D

I clicked the link and read the whole article and I'm still super confused. I must have missed a previous story or something.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Whilst I'm sure her experience with this prank wasn't helping, I have to imagine there were other issues going on here.

Very sad though.

Angry Fork

Why would she commit suicide over a prank? Did she get ripped apart or threatened by her bosses at the hospital or something?

I clicked the link and read the whole article and I'm still super confused. I must have missed a previous story or something.

Same, what a terrible article. It made no sense as to what actually happened. All i got was someone answered a phone, some Australian radio station, suicide.

Arnie

A terrible tragedy but kind of an overreaction, to put it mildly. And now we have to put up with the fucking awful combination of Britain, Royals and Newspaper outrage.

The first two are painful, add the third and it's almost not worth reading a newspaper for as many weeks as it takes for the little blob to be born.

Fari

I imagine it would be likely that she had underlying mental health issues, but this is still terrible.

Menelaus

Banned

Australian radio station called hospital, pretended to be the queen and prince Charles checking in on Kate, nurse disclosed info about Kate without asking for any proof, got made a fool of worldwide.

It was obvious that the nurse thought she was really talking to the queen, you could literally hear her life changing in her voice.

mclem

As a note of caution, it's not on news.bbc yet. Although they might just be slow or confirming it or something.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Why would she commit suicide over a prank? Did she get ripped apart or threatened by her bosses at the hospital or something?

I wonder about that.

I imagine she was vulnerable before this, but yeah, if she got a bollocking off her superiors over this, it may not have helped.

I doubt the prank itself, but maybe what happened after, was a bigger factor.

Everyone else seemed to take it in good humour, but maybe her bosses didn't. I imagine if they did have words with her, that they're feeling pretty awful right now.

Woz

Yeah, mee too... I try to understand:

• Kate Middleton goes to hospital
• Aussie radio hosts call the hospital, passing as the queen
• nurse respond and pass the call
• nurse die
• then who was phone?

Dabanton

She must have got a right bollocking from her managers. Probably told she was going to be transferred elsewhere.

shuri

Banned
Maybe she worked really hard to get that job, only to get the rearing of a lifetime by her superiors about this, probably. This ruined her career or any chances of advance in the future, especially if she was named by the medias. It's gonna be hard to find a job after that.

Of course she should had checked first, but she was fooled. She was probably so impressed to directly talk to the Queen and just wanted to be nice.

Prank calls are such a relix of the '90..

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
She must have got a right bollocking from her managers. Probably told she was going to be transferred elsewhere.

Or was facing investigative/disciplinary procedures...

I know these things on their own might not be life or death matters, but again, I guess she was already in not such a good place. And the kind of stress falling out of something like this would be not insignificant.

But I guess we're just speculating now.

Yagharek

You can only do so much over a short phone call even if your intent is nefarious.

My memory may be hazy on this but I think there was a case with two specific radio hosts in Australia where their line of questioning of an underage girl contributed to a suicide attempt.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/07/29/kyle-and-jackie-os-live-lie-detector-test-goes-very-wrong/

Might not have been a suicide upon further reading, but it was a lie detector test of a girl who was raped when she was 12, and under 18 so still legally a child when they did the show.

They never apologised.

Aiii

So not worth it
My memory may be hazy on this but I think there was a case with two specific radio hosts in Australia where their line of questioning of an underage girl contributed to a suicide attempt.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/07/29/kyle-and-jackie-os-live-lie-detector-test-goes-very-wrong/

Might not have been a suicide upon further reading, but it was a lie detector test of a girl who was raped when she was 12, and under 18 so still legally a child when they did the show.

They never apologised.

In the link you provided there's a transcript in which I see the host apologising several times and offering free counseling to the victim.

That seems as much an apology as I'm ever gonna see.

Wow. This has escalated. I didn't think the prank call was all that bad. Juvenile, but nothing more.

There has to be something else.

Yagharek

In the link you provided there's a transcript in which I see the host apologising several times and offering free counseling to the victim.

If you listen to them say it (it was all over the news here when it happened) the live audio was completely disingenuous. Those two hosts (not the same as this nurse/middleton case) are notorious for doing something stupid, making a fake apology then doing it again two months later.

Coldsnap

damn, i saw the prank call on the news last night and felt bad for the lady who picked up the phone... couldn't imagine id hear this type of news this morning

Arksy

Pranking is a pretty big part of commercial radio in Australia. It's usually fairly obvious when they do it but it's usually pretty funny. I was listening to this just yesterday. This would be TERRIBLE news.

tmarques

Agreed. Mother is disgusting as hell, though.

Of course, putting a 14-year-old in that kind of situation is a stupid idea to begin with.

Draxal

Wow. This has escalated. I didn't think the prank call was all that bad. Juvenile, but nothing more.

There has to be something else.

I don't think you understand the Health Care field at all. If this was even a normal person and not the heir to the throne, she would of been liable for termination.

Bumhead

Banned
Holy shit.

Without knowing what the reprecussions were for this for the nurse - and there could be many for disclosing private medical information about anybody, much less a Royal in a Royal Hospital - I think we should hold off on assuming too much about her mental state or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom