• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop - Switch sales "Phenomenal", high attach rate, "Could eclipse Wii"

What does "highest attach rate of software and accessories" mean? That people are buying a Switch as well as a game at a higher rate than they bought a PS4, for example, and a game? I mean... wouldn't that be obvious when playing Zelda is the only thing the Switch does..? What am I missing? Not hating on N's success. Just seems like a "well duh" kinda comment.

attach rate gets used two different ways. i think you're thinking the reverse of the other posters.

if we're talking "The attach rate of zelda" then it's a percentage like, "XX% of switch buyers bought the game," to which the reasonable response is "holy hell did some people seriously buy this thing for 1-2 switch or bomberman?!" and of course that's a really high percentage, closer to 1:1 than most launch titles.

but it also gets used to mean "how much crap did each switch owner buy on average?" so like if the average shopper bought 3 games that's an attach rate of 3. in which case, we're all surprised if this is a true story and not just marketing speak cause we expected the majority of people to just buy zelda.

At this point, the only thing I can think of is that the machine's visual design was great and the ads worked well.

I cannot think of any other reason as to the Switch being Wii~levels of success.

a few million lapsed zelda fans who'd rather own this than a wiiu can provide strong sales for a bit.

but yes the hardware itself is slick enough that I can imagine people i know who normally aren't nintendo fans buying one just because it's such a tempting toy.

Success was a given the moment when gaf said it would bomb. Gaf is like the Pachter of videogame predictions.

Fantastic console. Possibly my favourite so far. And I have a PS4 Pro and a Titan X Pascal. But Switch is the one that gets how I really want to play - living room, bed, split controller, table top, lokal multiplayer.

Not one single lie detected. Completely agree on all counts.

What does "highest attach rate of software and accessories" mean? That people are buying a Switch as well as a game at a higher rate than they bought a PS4, for example, and a game? I mean... wouldn't that be obvious when playing Zelda is the only thing the Switch does..? What am I missing? Not hating on N's success. Just seems like a "well duh" kinda comment.
Literally every system launches with games. Most of them with a lot more games than the Switch launched with. He could mean that people buying the Switch have bought more games with their Switch on average than people picked up at the launch of the PS4.

But who is that meant for?

If you're looking for a console, two of them already exists on shelves with more games. For a handheld, mobile has been quickly eating into it as both PS Vita and 3DS fall short of matching Gameboy Advance sales.

Combing the two only represents a case of "jack of all trades, master of none". It's not powerful enough to compete with PS4/XBO but it's also too expensive and big to carry around next to a phone.

It's meant for people who want a handheld or a console. Breaking news power isn't everything. And ugh people carry tablets around all the time. Why is this still being brought up? Do people not know tablets are a thing?

If you're looking for a console, two of them already exists on shelves with more games. For a handheld, mobile has been quickly eating into it as both PS Vita and 3DS fall short of matching Gameboy Advance sales.

Combing the two only represents a case of "jack of all trades, master of none". It's not powerful enough to compete with PS4/XBO but it's also too expensive and big to carry around next to a phone.

Some of us don't want to play mobile games and we like to take our games on the go. The portability is a huge factor for many of us. There are so many games I won't buy on PC or console because I want to play them on the go. I won't get them mobile(if possible) because I like physical controls.

I'm willing to deal with lesser graphics for portability any day and personally, I wouldn't ever compare the graphics of something as small as the switch to a ps4 or pc. That's just silly.

Retro

EDIT: Wait, power chargers? Why are people buying extras?

Charge my Pro controller (not that it needs it, jeeeeeeesus)
Charge the unit away from the dock (not that I've taken it out of the dock since I bought it, but I like that I have the option).

//DEVIL//

I am glad its selling very well in US. during my current stay in Saudi Arabia. they system is available everywhere here and in Dubai.

I do not think the system is very popular in Middle East. I think Nintendo should have allocated more units to US/UK than here,

The WiiU didn't really have a fantastic launch. It was aight but the numbers were not good in Europe for example. Ot was mostly Japan where the launch looked good.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
At this point, the only thing I can think of is that the machine's visual design was great and the ads worked well.

I cannot think of any other reason as to the Switch being Wii~levels of success.

It has motion controls just like the wii and is a handheld which means it'll get a pokemon game. As far as what the west even wants from a Nintendo device it has it. That doesn't mean long term it'll be some massive success but for launch there's plenty of reason why people would be interested.

High attach rate? Besides Zelda, what's the big Switch seller?

Zelda is the system seller but it isn't the only appealing game on the system. I just got me this beauty:
dxX9Xgd.jpg
Fully playable in English too! The Switch eShop is killing it with FAST RMX, The Binding of Isaac (also got a retail release in America, I'm waiting for my import to arrive) and others like Blastermaster Zero.

Just Dance reaches a different audience and Bomberman is a feel good pick up and play game.

Success was a given the moment when gaf said it would bomb. Gaf is like the Pachter of videogame predictions.

Fantastic console. Possibly my favourite so far. And I have a PS4 Pro and a Titan X Pascal. But Switch is the one that gets how I really want to play - living room, bed, split controller, table top, lokal multiplayer.

I completely agree. The system goes everywhere with me.

Welfare

A great but constrained launch doesn't automatically mean we should extrapolate long term success, but we are in a period where console sales aren't that great, so if Switch can still sell through stock and continue to hold well after supply meets demand later this spring than that does show promise for this holiday season.

Maybe Nintendo won't have to permanently slash the price this time leading into Christmas, which would be fantastic for them.

phanphare

Banned
sounds good, hopefully they can start stocking the damn thing and keep the momentum going. the games line up this year is pretty crazy they just need consoles on shelves when each one hits.

HardRojo

Lol at the preemptive defense. Is this gonna be a thing in every Switch sales related thread? It's getting old.

On topic: high attach rate is good news, and people picking up extra Joycons means Mario Kart might enjoy a lot of local multi-player. Though I gotta say it's hard to start making comparisons to other consoles just yet, especially the Wii. Let's wait, see and hope it keeps performing well, I need my new Metroid game Nintendo.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not surprised the accessories are selling more than anything it's a device design to sell you all sorts of crap. That was immediately obvious the second the patents were revealed.

borges

Banned
Well, good for GameStop. They for sure relies on the physical sells of Switch, since PS4 and Xbox are moving at full speed to a digital business model.

Lol at the preemptive defense. Is this gonna be a thing in every Switch sales related thread? It's getting old.

On topic: high attach rate is good news, and people picking up extra Joycons means Mario Kart might enjoy a lot of local multi-player. Though I gotta say it's hard to start making comparisons to other consoles just yet, especially the Wii. Let's wait, see and hope it keeps performing well, I need my new Metroid game Nintendo.

Mario Kart 8 will be killer, it probably won't take too long to out pace the already impressive sales of the Wii U version. It will certainly boost joy-con sales.

jts

...hate me...
Switch is my first USB-C device, so I had to buy cables for it.

I reckon most people would assume its proprietary connector, so don't know they can buy $2 cables from eBay.

Wouldn't advise on $2 cables from eBay. USB-C is both a complex standard and can carry a little bit more of power than the typical USB of old (hence why it can now charge laptops and whatnot).

Don't take your chances. Get at least a well rated, well reviewed cable off Amazon. They're still cheap, just not "I don't know what I expected, my expensive device is now fried" cheap.

The Wart

Pretty sure Pachter is the Pachter of videogame predictions. Unless there's some kind of highlander situation going on.

But I agree, my gaming PC has been gathering dust and not just because Zelda is so good. The Switch is just so... accommodating.

LJ11

I don't know what triggered the intensely negative reaction on here after the reveal event. It was an obvious winner.

Before the reveal I was 100% behind the concept, we basically knew what it was going to be before they revealed it, so I knew what I going to get before they showed it off. But none of us had any clue on the games/support, and I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't concerned after what they showed.

Almost no 3rd party support to speak of, wasn't looking good on the 1st party side either, and the accessories were pricey (most are these days). Price of the console itself wasn't terrible, but $300 seems like a lot to some folks when they can use those funds for a PC upgrade or a Console with more power. Realistically, these folks weren't going to be in on day one, they wanted an impulse buy price of $200 but that wasn't going to happen, they were fooling themselves going into the event.

I didn't preorder, but managed to cop one on release dia via Amazon Primenow, it's exactly what I wanted and I haven't had this much fun with a new console or portable since the PSP, lol. I expect this to be a Nintendo box for the most part, but I'm fine with that. Had a feeling this was going to sell well from the jump, saw so many casuals talking about it on release day. It's good that Nintendo is drawing some of these folks back in, they're fickle but it gives Nintendo a much wider appeal, something they desperately lacked with the U/3DS, which were fucking disasters from the jump.

Shaanyboi

Banned
How trustworthy are these statements? I mean, it's not like GameStop is going to be like "yeah this console we're selling right now isn't selling that well".

That said, as a Switch owner, I hope the console does well enough.
I mean they'd never say it was doing badly, but they also wouldn't need to have given any kind of painted picture for attach rates etc.

But I mean really, what other console has actually inspired some meaningful sales of additional accessories? The Pro controller, screen protectors, a case, a charge cable for another room...

Some of these are things that actually may be kinda necessary in peoples' eyes for owning a Switch. Moreso than "oh there's a plastic wheel you can snap a Wii remote into. Snap it in here and it's like a tennis racket! Don't forget to get a faceplate..."

I fully believe accessory sales for this are going to be high.

tbm24

Hoping its easier to find one in the near future. Hoping towards the end of next month I can feasibly pick one up on a whim.

I like being able to take the Switch from my bed to my living room and around the house or on a plane or on the subway.

I don't think it's that surprising why it would be doing well, even if it's early.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I hope it does well, but eclipsing the Wii? Dream on. I don't know one person who owns one or even wants one.

Extra joycons?
What game can you play with 4 joycons right now? Right now I only know off Fast RMX and Bomberman.

Unless people are getting ready for future releases like MK8 and Arms, which I can understand perfectly.

Before the reveal I was 100% behind the concept, we basically knew what it was going to be before they revealed it, so I knew what I going to get before they showed it off. But none of us had any clue on the games/support, and I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't concerned after what they showed.

Almost no 3rd party support to speak of, wasn't looking good on the 1st party side either, and the accessories were pricey (most are these days). Price of the console itself wasn't terrible, but $300 seems like a lot to some folks when they can use those funds for a PC upgrade or a Console with more power. Realistically, these folks weren't going to be in on day one, they wanted an impulse buy price of $200 but that wasn't going to happen, they were fooling themselves going into the event.

I didn't preorder, but managed to cop one on release dia via Amazon Primenow, it's exactly what I wanted and I haven't had this much fun with a new console or portable since the PSP, lol. I expect this to be a Nintendo box for the most part, but I'm fine with that. Had a feeling this was going to sell well from the jump, saw so many casuals talking about it on release day. It's good that Nintendo is drawing some of these folks back in, they're fickle but it gives Nintendo a much wider appeal, something they desperately lacked with the U/3DS, which were fucking disasters from the jump.

Same thing too. After the reveal, I was salty as hell. Got over it pretty quick though, I think I just expected too many big games at once. Loving it now though.

Crayon

How is it an obvious winner ?

The peripherals are overpriced,the machine itself is overpriced relative to competitors, its currently has very limited functionality, even its most remarkable game is not exclusive,march isn't a holiday season, the west doesn't care for handhelds much at this point.

The Switch's successful launch makes no sense.

Nonetheless, good for the industry.

It seems like the noisy nitpicks didn't add up to a hill of beans. And they seldom do.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Attach rates are kinda weird thing to be talking about now with Zelda being the only major title.

They combined the accessories with Zelda has in revenue wise it probably is one of the highest attach rates. Which is all GameStop gives a shit about.

spekkeh

Banned
Attach rates are kinda weird thing to be talking about now with Zelda being the only major title.
Did you see the average Switch rack at a games store? Looks like a Soviet store after a blizzard. People are thirsty, they're buying everything, even the overpriced crap games. I reckon that's why this Gamestop guy is so jubilant.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
It's in GameStop's best interest, to build up a hype machine. I can't believe any PR they release.

HardRojo

I don't know what triggered the intensely negative reaction on here after the reveal event. It was an obvious winner.
Oh come on, I don't want to ruin a positive thread since we all should celebrate the Switch doing fine despite its shortcomings, but if you bothered to read some impressions and reactions from that presentation it'd be clear why many people, myself included, were and still are very skeptical aboutthe Switch. I know for sure I won't be picking one up till next year and they're readily available here in Peru.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I really, really like the hardware. The plastic screen is dumb but the sheer flexibility of what this thing can do is so cool.

Hopefully Nintendo puts out quality games.

Nesther

Wouldn't advise on $2 cables from eBay. USB-C is both a complex standard and can carry a little bit more of power than the typical USB of old (hence why it can now charge laptops and whatnot).

Don't take your chances. Get at least a well rated, well reviewed cable off Amazon. They're still cheap, just not "I don't know what I expected, my expensive device is now fried" cheap.

Does the wall charger matter in that case? I have like 5 of those white Samsung USB wall chargers just laying around.

Mael

Can we find similar articles related to WiiU or other sales failures?
I mean I'm all about to believe that it's a marketing article and all but surely there's a precedent to that kind of pap?

Top Bottom