• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 in game images [Up: Third New Screenshot In OP]

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Judging from those two screenshots alone, it doesn't look any different from Reach.

I think there's a difference already; the rays and DOF seems to be quite the chaner in compared to the previous title. Also got to love the visor detail and that eerie feeling I am getting with the environments in the two pictures, it's reminding me of Combat Evolved for some strange reason.

Every developer who does this knows better. They know that their final product isn't going to have flawless image quality, yet they do their best to convince the public otherwise. You act like it's general knowledge that this stuff is typically doctored, as if everyone knows not to take footage like this seriously. But you know better.

Don't forget the experience. Watching a supersampled pic on a monitor <50cm away from me, I see no aliasing. Watching a finished product with 2x-4x AA on a couch 2-3 meters away from my TV, the aliasing is negligible.

But, watching a framebuffer screencap on your monitor reveals all the flaws imaginable. The difference with what you see while playing and what you see on your screengrab is night and day. Although framebuffer screengrabs shows the actual quality of the game/rendering, they appear much better live. Which validas comments like "I don't remember this game looking this bad" on message boards.

That beeing said, there are people who'd appreciate in-game images from developers (like you), but these kinds of people are massively overshadowed by people who negatively judge a game by the same images. I'm 100% certain that Alan Wake lost a lot of sales around the pixel counting time.

Again, you're acting like there's this publicly accepted context for videogame trailers, but no such context exists. People see a trailer and they go, "I wanna play that game!". The average consumer couldn't even tell you if a trailer was pre-rendered, or what that even means.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here cause you're rather positive. How is people seeing a trailer and go "I wanna play that game" bad? The average consumer you're talking about doesn't even care for the differences between in-game and in-engine we're discussing here.

I think I can safely say that we both have different views on the subject. Which is perfectly fine :)

One thing I absolutely hate that's been a trend in everything Halo 4 we've seen so far, Warthog included:

93sKy.jpg

Fucking rivets/circles for NO REASON whatsoever. It looks so stupid.

It would be supersampling if they were then downsampled to 720p. Nobody was trying to deceive you.

It's super-sampling because they were already down-sampled to 1600x900 from a much higher resolution.

Jeez, they are promo shots.

OK, they're promo shots. But they were posted as the first "in game" screenshots, which is still what the thread name reflects, and that is clearly bullocks. They are posed, supersampled, print resolution shots taken from the engine. The game will never, ever look like that on a 360.

FHIZ

One thing I absolutely hate that's been a trend in everything Halo 4 we've seen so far, Warthog included:

OAzuT.jpg

If only there was a way to not see them 90% of the time during gameplay

monome

Not sure what you're trying to get at here.

Most of us have two eyes, and that the Reach and 4 look alike is a given since both games are on 360, that halo 4 was not going to be a cell-shaded game.

What those screens imply is :
1/ 343i, as a new studio, can pump out stuff that matches a God-tier like Bungie studio
2/ they know we want the BR
3/ they like colors too

DarkChild

Banned
What I wonder is if Halo is going to hit 720p this gen or we are going have to wait for next one to reach that milestone.

GavinGT

Banned
Don't forget the experience. Watching a supersampled pic on a monitor <50cm away from me, I see no aliasing. Watching a finished product with 2x-4x AA on a couch 2-3 meters away from my TV, the aliasing is negligible.

But, watching a framebuffer screencap on your monitor reveals all the flaws imaginable. The difference with what you see while playing and what you see on your screengrab is night and day. Although framebuffer screengrabs shows the actual quality of the game/rendering, they appear much better live. Which validas comments like "I don't remember this game looking this bad" on message boards.

That beeing said, there are people who'd appreciate in-game images from developers (like you), but these kinds of people are massively overshadowed by people who negatively judge a game by the same images. I'm 100% certain that Alan Wake lost a lot of sales around the pixel counting time.

In an ideal world, all developers would post undoctored shots, so that there was a level playing field.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say here cause you're rather positive. How is people seeing a trailer and go "I wanna play that game" bad? The average consumer you're talking about doesn't even care for the differences between in-game and in-engine we're discussing here.

I think I can safely say that we both have different views on the subject. Which is perfectly fine :)

My point is that Joe Public doesn't know that developers are loading the deck in their favor. They see pretty pictures and figure that the final product will look just like that.

Most of us have two eyes, and that the Reach and 4 look alike is a given since both games are on 360, that halo 4 was not going to be a cell-shaded game.

What those screens imply is :
1/ 343i, as a new studio, can pump out stuff that matches a God-tier like Bungie studio
2/ they know we want the BR
3/ they like colors too

trust in Corrine Yu. girl used to program for NASA.

My point is that Joe Public doesn't know that developers are loading the deck in their favor. They see pretty pictures and figure that the final product will look just like that.
Joe Public regularly claims that his games don't have those weird steppy stairs that he sees in screenshots when he plays them on his TV.

feel

That there is some Halo.

looks like Halo

Halolicious!

That's some Halo ass Halo.

looks like halo

Ugh, the BR/DMR is back? I love using the gun, but it makes a lot of engagements boring.

Looks like every other Halo game in history.

Honestly, not trying to troll or anything, but you could mix those screens up with screens from the other 360 Halos and try to have me guess what games they are from and I couldn't tell ya. All the damn Halo games look the same to me and this one is no different.

Wow. Those shots look amazing. I thought I was looking at a PS3 game!!!

looks like halo but now with god rays.

Yay? People like halo so its a good thing it looks like that I guess.

Cant wait to see gameplay.

Bullshots and looks like the other Halos... big surprise.
Also, why are MC's fingers so long?

Yep - Those Halo Bullshots always look pretty nice, but once you play it it always looks like halo- unfortunately.

Sucks that Master Chief is iconic, his design is still terrible and looks worse with time

Yep, that's Master Chief alright.

What is the point of releasing screenshots like this anyway? Graphicwhores will pick it apart and there will be no discussion or hype whatsoever about the actual game. Cool the generic main character of Halo is standing there, can't wait!
dxXGmHc9zNBTD.gif

dbvBaiBvPappw9.gif

d0frfzDMNgYDG.gif

dIeyL6vaN8eTj.gif

dCQ7Hh5n7oXq.gif

Good show gaf, good show. :)

monome

93sKy.jpg

halo 4 is heavily influenced by industrial design. i think the rivets overdose comes from the perspective everything has to be accountable to the point where no rivets or possible/credible attachments makes 343i designers unhappy.

it's their fist Halo game, let them learn too.

In an ideal world, all developers would post undoctored shots, so that there was a level playing field.

Joe Public probably doesn't even notice the difference unless what they've been shown, and what the final product looks like, are side by side. We had people here saying that all of the 360 Halo games are indistinguishable just going off of memory. I doubt anyone that isn't really into the game would notice a difference unless the difference in quality, or art style is massively changed between that trailer they saw, and the release.

1163619950.jpg

Oh the memories.

Barf.

Satchel

Banned
Gotta love all the "Looks like Halo" bullshit.

What did you want it to look like? Puzzle Fighter Turbo?

Uncharted looks like Uncharted
Killzone looks like Killzone
Mario Galaxy looks like Mario Galaxy
Gears looks like Gears

Seriously, what do you people expect? How is it a Halo game if it doesn't look like Halo?

No, but here is to hoping. They are never, ever going to go back to 2001 Halo:CE days...I feel like bro-brown is the color of choice for awhile, and it's staying. :(

Anniversary actually amped up the colour, and 343 were obviously quite involved there. so hopefully your pessimism is misplaced.

So this is a Xbox 720 game?

no, it's a dev kit shot. it IS in engine. it IS untouched. it's just been output at a resolution your 360 can't output at. for press usage, like pretty much every game has done this generation to minor whining prior to release, and zero whining after.

I take it positively.

"Looks like Halo" is the same as saying "Looks like the greatest video game series ever"

You're on the right track 343i.

pringles

I like how it looks, but obviously need to see more shots to really say anything about the graphics and the environment design etc.

Chief looks VERY different. I'm very interested in seeing how they handle the story.

BR back is nice, but I kinda like the DMR more.

Coolwhip

Banned
What is the point of releasing screenshots like this anyway? Graphicwhores will pick it apart and there will be no discussion or hype whatsoever about the actual game. Cool the generic main character of Halo is standing there, can't wait!

I wonder how the whole transfer of the Halo reigns thing went, and how far exactly. Bungie reused a decent amount of art assets throughout their games...would 343i be able to use these same assets? If not then this should be an interesting fresh start to the series.

DarkChild

Banned
So DOF is actually not in game too? Heh...This is very definition of bullshot. High resolution, max AA and added post processing to enhance visuals. We can expect sub hd, low AA and no DOF in game? Thats still fine, didn't expect much anyway.

Flipyap

Can't say I'm too happy to see that he's covered head-to-toes in hexagons (even the damn visor), but I guess it IS a modern sci-fi video game. Can't have it breaking all the rules.
Though maybe it's not the best idea, considering he's already wearing the Crysis dude's gloves.

This guy, on the other hand, is pretty cool.

m9gen.png

jett

D-Member
So this is a Xbox 720 game?

Devs don't even know what a bullshot means, when they see that they probably think we're saying it's all CG and whatnot. Most of the time a "bullshot" just means unrealistic image quality.

Character model looks nice to me

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Can't say I'm too happy to see that he's covered head-to-toes in hexagons (even the damn visor), but I guess it IS a modern sci-fi video game. Can't have it breaking all the rules.
Though maybe it's not the best idea, considering he's already wearing the Crysis dude's gloves.

m9gen.png

Looks like an Autobot.

Or 4th level bad guys from Gradius 3 for SNES

I take it positively.

"Looks like Halo" is the same as saying "Looks like the greatest video game series ever"

You're on the right track 343i.

Yeah, it's just acknowledging that it is indeed Halo - same gorgeous artstyle seems intact.

So what can I expect from this embargo lifting? Gameplay videos? Oh please !

Also - make the multiplayer more like Anniversary Classic playlist and less like Reach .

no, it's a dev kit shot. it IS in engine. it IS untouched. it's just been output at a resolution your 360 can't output at. for press usage, like pretty much every game has done this generation to minor whining prior to release, and zero whining after.

Oh, so it's a bullshot.

I was being sarcastic. And higher resolution isn't the only thing it's been output at. Dat SSAA! And you're wrong about the zero whining. They all got it. Uncharted, Forza, Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, Last of Us, Gears, etc... If you don't want your fans whining stop saying a bullshot is not a bullshot.

Oh, so it's a bullshot.

I was being sarcastic. And higher resolution isn't the only thing it's been output at. Dat SSAA! And you're wrong about the zero whining. They all got it. Uncharted, Forza, Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, Last of Us, Gears, etc... If you don't want your fans whining stop saying a bullshot is not a bullshot.

hey, i said minimal whining over the screens, not no whining. no one was whining about Uncharted 3's graphics once it actually came out. that was my point.

m9gen.png

How can you leave out his twin brother?

D5QpX.png

They're actually conjoined twins, attached at the eyeballs.

fNt1G.png

Coolwhip

Banned
Oh, so it's a bullshot.

99.99% of the fans don't even know what a bullshot is.

Don't worry, there's more stuff coming today when the embargo ends (in about 1 hour 17 minutes). Campaign and multiplayer were shown at the Spring Showcase.

Top Bottom