• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance vs HALO 3 (comparison inside)

Francias Castiglione said:
:lol

How can it be a WORSE offender when we haven't even got footage to compare it to yet?

We have an entire BETA to compare it to. Yes the game will improve, but there is no way in hell it will improve enough to reach the level of graphical fidelity displayed in that picture. You might as well believe that my "unfinished" MS Paint stick figure drawing will transform into the Mona Lisa with a little more effort.

Steroyd

Anzu said:
Can't wait for the megaton trolling thread that will be the Killzone 2 VS Halo 3 comparison thread come E3.....

Remind me to buy some popcorn before the event :p

Have you got any to spare? Because i swear it's going to be Resistance vs Killzone 2 and Halo 3 comparison shots.

Somehow Resistance gets compared to everything. :(

FOUND SOME.

jokerpopcorn8qi7abjz7.gif

Razoric

Banned
mrklaw said:
which is why these kinds of comparisons are fair game, and simultaneously pointless.

Are Halo 3 fans so defensive that they'll shoot down any negative comments? Surely if its the best MP FPS on the 360 (or perhaps any console) then it doesn't matter if its slightly outgunned in the graphics department?

Its like you aren't confident in the product enough to just let these kinds of thing wash over you.

Halo 3 fans getting defensive are no worse than Sony fans (or whoever) defending trash threads such as these. If you want to compare games, post full resolution screenshots of finished versions of each game.

These threads could be skewed any which way... I could make a Half Life 2 vs Resistance screenshot thread where HL2 comes out the 'winner'.

Y2Kev said:
I think one thing that Resistance does that many other games do not is really, really crank up the geometry. A lot of other games use lower poly environments with complex shaders, but some of Resistance's later levels are just so geometrically complex that they are impressive despite drabber lighting and less interesting shader effects.

The alien architecture in the later levels is as impressive as most of the stuff in many other games.
I agree with this.
Both games look good, I do believe I like the art design in Resistance more though. Halo (at least MP) looks a bit on the cartoon side, IMO. Resistance paints a bleak outlook on what a war torn earth would look like and it gives a more realistic feel.

Hunter D

Anzu said:
Can't wait for the megaton trolling thread that will be the Killzone 2 VS Halo 3 comparison thread come E3.....

Remind me to buy some popcorn before the event :p
kiLOLzone 2 set a bar that they will never reach.
When H3 campaign is revealed people will eat tons of crow.
Edit: The still pics don't show the better animation and physics engine that H3 has.

MercuryLS said:
What if, maybe, the final SP graphics DO look like that? I know it's a ridiculous idea, but it just might!

Then I will happily admit that I was wrong. It *could* happen, but it seems pretty unlikely given how much time we have before the final game launches. It's like all those people that wanted to argue that the Wii was really going to be a super secretive graphical powerhouse and that Nintendo was just trying to make people *think* it was underpowered. There is no reason that a Beta that is being launched four months before the final game would be this under representative of the final product.

JdFoX187

Banned
I love Sony fanboys calling Halo 3 supporters Microsoft fanboys and Microsoft fanboys calling Resistance supporters Sony fanboys and everybody acting like they're not a fanboy. :lol

But, as most have said, this comparison is flawed. Wait until the game ships in September. Then, people with decent capture devices can take some similar pictures of both games and compare them. Until then, this is nothing more than troll bait.

Gattsu25

Banned
Madman said:
That pic looks worse than the game does on my SD TV. How the hell if that even possible?
I dunno, but apparently that one screen is enough to make all the Halo fans break out in laughter

Spooks

Im a huge fan of Resistance. I bought it at launch, play with the GAF clan everytime we play,Have beaten campaign on it. I'm also a fan of Halo, I played the hell out of Halo 2 and Halo. I finally got to check out the Halo 3 beta over my friends house monday. And I have to say Resistance kinda ruined Halo for me. Not saying I didnt enjoy myself with Halo 3 because I did. It felt good I loved the new weapons but I just love how Resistance is so fast paced. Halo feels sooooooooooooooooooo slow compared to it. I also like the game types for Resistance way better then Halo. Halo has always been a death match, or CTF type of game it never pulled off other types too well unlike Resistance.

This is all just one mans opinion though. Both are really good games :).

MercuryLS

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
I love Sony fanboys calling Halo 3 supporters Microsoft fanboys and Microsoft fanboys calling Resistance supporters Sony fanboys and everybody acting like they're not a fanboy. :lol

But, as most have said, this comparison is flawed. Wait until the game ships in September. Then, people with decent capture devices can take some similar pictures of both games and compare them. Until then, this is nothing more than troll bait.

At the very least people should wait till more Halo 3 SP footage is released.

Steroyd

JdFoX187 said:

That is SO wrong on SO many levels...

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Gattsu25 said:
I dunno, but apparently that one screen is enough to make all the Halo fans break out in laughter

Turnabout is fair play. If the comparison is SP and cut scenes of a finished title vs. Beta MP pics, then I think you should expect a little bit of laughter. It's ridiculous.

I'm not laughing as a Halo fan, which I am. I'm laughing at the entire premise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Razoric said:
Halo 3 fans getting defensive are no worse than Sony fans (or whoever) defending trash threads such as these. If you want to compare games, post full resolution screenshots of finished versions of each game.

These threads could be skewed any which way... I could make a Half Life 2 vs Resistance screenshot thread where HL2 comes out the 'winner'.

except its already been said that the OP tends to be very careful to find fair comparison shots (apart from the different development stages etc)

MercuryLS

Banned
Mojovonio said:
Since we're on the useless comparison trend.

BIG MAC

bigmac.jpg

Whopper

whopper-inside2-0.jpg

Those are complete bullshots, when you go into McDonalds or Burger King you never get anything close to what's in those shots.

StevieP

Banned
What if, maybe, the final SP graphics DO look like that? I know it's a ridiculous idea, but it just might!

Yah... good luck with that.

Mojovonio said:

BIG MAC

bigmac.jpg

Whopper

whopper-inside2-0.jpg

The Big Mac is in HD, but they're both bullshots.

Edit: beaten like a whore

MercuryLS

Banned
mrklaw said:
except its already been said that the OP tends to be very careful to find fair comparison shots (apart from the different development stages etc)

He's been pretty good with his comparison threads, but this thread was ill-concieved.

Steroyd

Mojovonio said:

BIG MAC

bigmac.jpg

Whopper

whopper-inside2-0.jpg

The lighting on the Big Mac is better, but the Whopper has more refined textures, i like the design choice of the Big Mac because it's on cloth.

Oh BTW I HATE Fast Food Resturant Burgers and wouldn't taste neither of them even if I were told it was the tastiest burger ever.

Flek

Banned
JB1981 said:
A couple things:

3. Resistance has many many more players onscreen and huge multiplayer maps. At least 2x the size of the maps in Halo 3 MP beta.

5. Resistance was a launch title.

QFT!

Max@GC

Just because of the engines variety regarding the many different level themes shown in the beta (desert, forest/grasslands, snow) Halo 3 will look better than the boring grey/brown/olive mixture of Resistance - but you´re comparing two different games here.

...and LOL @the Resistance multiplayer pic.

coldvein

Banned
Halo 3's geometry seems more "last-gen" than that of Resistance.. I realize this is single player vs. MP, yada yada small screens etc., but Halo 3's geometry comes off as a bit sparse and simplistic in comparison. just judging from what i've seen and played. and the big mac is so much better than the whopper it isn't even funny.

MercuryLS

Banned
EternalGamer said:
This analogy is actually useful:

HALO 3 BULLSHOT

bigmac.jpg

HALO 3 BETA

bigmac1.JPG

I like how people are writing off H3's SP graphics based on a MP Beta, as if no one's ever seen a big gulf between SP and MP graphics. The last time we've seen H3 SP was 1 year ago too, I hope Bungie shows it off at E3 and puts all this shit to rest. Either the SP looks like the original trailer, or it looks like 1.5 HD crap. I don't care, I just want to know what the hell the game looks like in SP now.

Striker

Spooks said:
Halo has always been a death match, or CTF type of game it never pulled off other types too well unlike Resistance.

This is all just one mans opinion though. Both are really good games :).
Slayer match, CTF, and Assault are great.

The new versions of Territories and Land Grab looks promising. Plus, VIP seems like a really nice new feature.

All in all, Halo 3 beta isn't complete. There's still things missing and once Sept. 25 rolls by, we'll make a full, valid comparison.

MercuryLS said:

I like how people are writing off H3's SP graphics based on a MP Beta, as if no one's ever seen a big gulf between SP and MP graphics. The last time we've seen H3 SP was 1 year ago too, I hope Bungie shows it off at E3 and puts all this shit to rest. Either the SP looks like the original trailer, or it looks like 1.5 HD crap. I don't care, I just want to know what the hell the game looks like in SP now.

Fair enough. The comparisons in this thread have actually been useful in showing the potential disparity between singleplayer and multiplayer in games. However, I think the gap between those Halo 3 mockups and this beta is even greater than any of those stunning comparisons.

Honestly though, that isn't much of a complaint for me. I would absolutely be willing to trade off for the look of the beta as opposed to those mockups if it meant that i get better draw in distances, a larger sense of scale, smoother frame rates, four player co-op etc. I'll take that type of functionality over graphical fidelity any day. Just as long as I don't have to put up with Wii level fugliness or minigame waggle.

people judge incomplete games all the time...it has no effect on what the game looks in finality (opinion that is)...having said that, with upcoming games taken into account...neither are showcases at all

jjasper

I am not going to get into any arguements cause I have only seen Halo 3 through videos, but I have never seen Resistance look anything like that screen Razoric posted

sprocket

Banned
MercuryLS said:

I like how people are writing off H3's SP graphics based on a MP Beta,

I like how people are comparing SP graphics when they haven't even seen any for themselves... forgetting the major downgrade halo2 went through from first bullshots to final product. :freak:

I think the main problem is the design philosophies of both development houses. Bungie are clearly building multiplayer as a separate multiplayer experience with it's own visual identity and crafting (ie. clean and colourful so the only thing that dictates results is skill) whereas the singleplayer is a cinematic styled alien murder game that can use effects and environments to create tensions and contribute to the story without fear of making it "unfair" for the AI.

giga

EternalGamer said:
Fair enough. The comparisons in this thread have actually been useful in showing the potential disparity between singleplayer and multiplayer in games. However, I think the gap between those Halo 3 mockups and this beta is even greater than any of those stunning comparisons.

Honestly, though that isn't much of a complaint for me. I would absolutely be willing to trade off for the look of the beta as opposed to those mockups if it meant that i get better draw in distances, a larger sense of scale, smoother framerates, four player co-op etc.
Where is that image that shows a typical Halo 3 encounter.

GhaleonEB

What "Halo 3 mockups" are you talking about? The announcement trailer? That's the minimum bar for what campaign will look like. That's the actual engine, in an actual in-game environment.

Over a year ago.

Razoric

Banned
jjasper said:
I am not going to get into any arguements cause I have only seen Halo 3 through videos, but I have never seen Resistance look anything like that screen Razoric posted

Interesting... i wonder if it was from a beta build of the game.

MercuryLS

Banned
EternalGamer said:

Honestly, though that isn't much of a complaint for me. I would absolutely be willing to trade off for the look of the beta as opposed to those mockups if it meant that i get better draw in distances, a larger sense of scale, smoother framerates, four player co-op etc.

Yeah, the gulf between the first H3 trailer and the H3 Beta is very large, larger than most shooters I've seen. So that is cause for concern, I'm a bit of an optimist though so I'm hoping Bungie deliver. They've had 3 years to work on this, no excuses!

But honestly, I understand your reservations...I still remember when Bungie showed off the Halo 2 demo at E32K4 which was really impressive at the time, the final game looked nothing like it. So it might happen again, but I'm giving Bungie the benefit of the doubt.

Top Bottom