• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hulu Plus now on Wii

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gaming-age.com/2012/02/hulu-plus-now-available-for-the-wii/

Wii owners with broadband Internet access now have a new way to watch their favorite TV shows and movies. Starting today, Wii owners can subscribe to Hulu Plus for $7.99 a month and instantly stream current-season hit TV shows such as Family Guy, Glee, New Girl, Vampire Diaries, The Office, The Biggest Loser and Modern Family, as well as full back seasons of hit shows like Community and Grey’s Anatomy. Kids can enjoy a growing library of favorites, including Arthur, Wild Kratts and Dinosaur Train, and families can browse through hundreds of popular movies from Miramax and more.

“Wii offers the most entertainment fun for everyone in the family, with an impressive selection of streaming movies and TV shows in addition to an unparalleled lineup of games that can’t be played anywhere else,” said Tony Elison, Nintendo of America’s senior director and general manager of Network Business. “The Wii console is the hub of the living room, and with the addition of Hulu Plus, millions of households now have even more options for streaming premium TV shows and movies.”

“We want to be everywhere, on every screen where people want to watch their favorite shows and discover new ones on their own schedule. Wii is not only one of the most important entertainment devices in the living room, but one of the most heavily anticipated and requested platforms by users and subscribers. Teaming up with Nintendo gives millions of households across the U.S. an immediate way to access some of their favorite current season shows on-demand in their living room through Hulu Plus,” said Pete Distad, VP of Marketing and Distribution at Hulu.

Users who have a broadband Internet connection can visit the Wii Shop Channel to download the Hulu Plus application at no extra charge. The application will allow users to navigate using the Wii Remote controller and search for their favorite TV shows, movies, clips and more. Hulu Plus offers a variety of content, including Hulu Latino, which offers hundreds of hours of current and classic Spanish-language programming, including the entire current season of prime-time TV shows from Univision, Galavision and Telefutura.

For the first month of launch, users who download Hulu Plus for Wii and do not already have an existing Hulu Plus account will get a two-week free trial.

Hulu Plus is also coming to the Nintendo 3DS system later this year, bringing full current-season TV series and popular movies to entertainment fans whenever they want.

For more information, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wii or http://www.hulu.com.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cool! Think I'll watch an episode of-- [WEB CONTENT ONLY]

...damn.

Nailed it. Hulu needs to hassle the content providers to allow them to stream stuff to plus devices instead of locking it to the PC-only.

Gameboy415

I'm not a current HuluPlus user, but I like the idea that it is coming to 3DS!

I may have to jump on this Netflix/Hulu bandwagon soon. :)

(the only reason I haven't yet is that I currently work for a cable company and get free cable)

how come in USA you have to subscribe things like this in uk we have ipalyer ITVplayer 4OD all free

well iplayer in away pay for

Tunic

This explains why my Wii had the flashing blue light around the disk drive this morning. I knew there was an update but didn't have time to turn it on and check before heading into work. Pretty exciting to add another option for people lacking streaming devices for Hulu Plus. At least they are still developing apps etc for the Wii.

If the sample video quality and interface is anything to go by, then I don't see many people choosing this over Netflix (at least on Wii). The videos I watched were either in 4:3 or grainy as hell and the interface doesn't appear to have pointer controls.

Tyeforce

How do you search for shows in the free trial? ...Or is it really only those 7 shows that you can watch?! If so, that's ridiculous! I don't care if it's a free trial, at least give me more options so I can find something that I'm actually interested in watching, otherwise the trial is of no use to me at all!

Suairyu

Banned
how come in USA you have to subscribe things like this in uk we have ipalyer ITVplayer 4OD all free

Technically you're paying for 4OD and ITV Player as well by watching the adverts.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think a (very) small portion of the license fee goes to Channel 4 and ITV anyway.

adroit

How do you search for shows in the free trial? ...Or is it really only those 7 shows that you can watch?!
Are you talking about what you see before you sign up for the free trial and activate the player? You have to sign up for the free trial on the web.

http://www.hulu.com/plus/wii

No, I don't work for Hulu! :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that I haven't signed up for the trial yet. If you have signed up and you can only see seven shows....wow. That would be seriously lame.

jonezer4

You have all those free on your Xbox 360 and Wii?

Oh you mean, not on your game console. Probably on a PC? If only there was a free version of Hulu Plus that I could watch on my PC. :/

Emwitus

Might not be hulu related but just needed to vent this. Can TV execs be any more stupidor? Seriously? Why did they drop chuck from hulu/plus? And it's also a pain to watch episodes on nbc directly if at all? Haven't watched a single episode of chuck season 5 cause of. Didn't think it was worth the effort to skive the internet for the show, not worth the malware. I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who did the same, and just like that NBC lost revenue. No thanks to HULU and NBC. Boo.

Tyeforce

Are you talking about what you see before you sign up for the free trial and activate the player? You have to sign up for the free trial on the web.

http://www.hulu.com/plus/wii

No, I don't work for Hulu! :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that I haven't signed up for the trial yet. If you have signed up and you can only see seven shows....wow. That would be seriously lame.
I did that. I'm still only seeing those 7 shows. =/

adroit

I did that. I'm still only seeing those 7 shows. =/
Wow. Just.....wow. They can cram ads in our faces yet they only offer 7 shows on the free trial??? My mind is boggled. How is it that Netflix can offer their entire catalog, without ads, during their free trial?

To activate the pointer controls, either press down on the d-pad or waggle the remote while pointing at the screen.

So, they did start working outside of videoplay but no pointer controls still when a video is playing. Just weird to see a backward step after using the Netflix app. Looked at a few more videos and the quality is very inconsistent. While I certainly won't be signing up for HP, I would like to have the free Hulu PC service work through this app. Also, I can't say I like the idea of paying for a service and still needing to sit through advertisements.

Tyeforce

Wow. Just.....wow. They can cram ads in our faces yet they only offer 7 shows on the free trial??? My mind is boggled. How is it that Netflix can offer their entire catalog, without ads, during their free trial?
Yeah. Definitely not sticking with Hulu Plus after my two weeks. Hell, I might as well just cancel right now, I'm not getting any use out of it. And the interface sucks compared to Netflix. It's like they wanted to do everything wrong.

Tim-E

Before I signed up I used a free trial and it gave me access to the full service.

adroit

Tyeforce, did signing up for the Wii trial also give you access to watch stuff on your computer? If so, can you watch more shows there? Maybe the Wii trial is limited for some crazy reason.

Tyeforce

I think I figured out my problem. Apparently I already used a free trial back in 2009, so it won't let me use another free trial. So stupid. >.>

adroit

I think I figured out my problem. Apparently I already used a free trial back in 2009, so it won't let me use another free trial. So stupid. >.>
Oh, OK. Thanks for clarifying. That sort of happened to us with Netflix until I called customer service. We had never subscribed to Netflix (or had a trial) but someone who previously lived at our address did. So we were initially limited to a two-week free trial. Called customer service and they added another two weeks (and we've been subscribers ever since).

Roto13

I changed my Wii's country to America and downloaded it and changed it back to Canada, just to see if I'd get Club Nintendo coins for it. :p

I did not. :(

BY2K

Membero Americo
What's this I see on the Xbox Dashboard?

pEgNc.jpg

mQalX.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That XBOX ad is hilarious.
Hulu Plus is what happens when the content providers have their way with the internet. Basically, a suckfest.
Thanks to Hulu Plus, I watched all of Fist of the North Star, Peep Show (before netflix got it), finished The Cosby Show (Netflix took it down Feb 1), Skins UK (long before netflix got it), and have been enjoying the (full?) catalogue of Criterion movies.

There's plenty to watch.

Tonight I'm catching up on Modern Family and Revenge.

Berordn

That XBOX ad is hilarious.
Thanks to Hulu Plus, I watched all of Fist of the North Star, Peep Show (before netflix got it), finished The Cosby Show (Netflix took it down Feb 1), Skins UK (long before netflix got it), and have been enjoying the (full?) catalogue of Criterion movies.

There's plenty to watch.

Tonight I'm catching up on Modern Family and Revenge.

But they took 30 Rock off hulu plus! TERRIBLE.

adroit

Signed up for the free trial tonight. Wow, the ads are horrible. I thought maybe since we were paying for this service the ads would be at the beginning and end. Nope. They launch at the worst possible moments. Horrible. There is no chance I'll be keeping this service. I'll probably cancel it well before the trial expires.

They've got to reconsider their business plan because this blows chunks. I hope Netflix stays the hell away from advertising. Or I'll cancel it too.

RBH

Roku + PlayOn subscription is where it's at.

What are your impressions of PlayOn?

I'm just learning about it for the first time, and the idea seems interesting for someone who may want to cut out cable in the future.

Their website says that CBS, ESPN, TBS, and Comedy Central are among the "content channels" for PlayOn, but are those channels just apps for each of those networks or are they the actual full-fledged channels?

Top Bottom