• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G. Kamitani replies to J. Schreier's Kotaku article on Dragon's Crown (slightly NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thread in question: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538986
Article in question: http://kotaku.com/game-developers-really-need-to-stop-letting-teenage-boy-472724616
Response: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...925660254.85466.100002565488533&type=1&ref=nf

Article said:
2yWXO

George Kamitani said:
It seems that Mr. JASON SCHREIER of kotaku is pleased also with neither sorceress nor amazon.
The art of the direction which likes was prepared.

59637_429947370434109_277578159_n.jpg

Thanks to Badoor for posting it.

Zemm

Awful article but I'm sure he'll come in here and link to all the 'good' ones kotaku have made this week, so there is that.

EDarkness

I kind of agree with Kotaku on this one. The art for the game is straight up silly. It kinda crosses that line for me. The response from the George guy was all kinds of classy. Seems he doesn't like criticism.

Burger

I kind of agree with Kotaku on this one. The art for the game is straight up silly. It kinda crosses that line for me. The response from the George guy was all kinds of classy. Seems he doesn't like criticism.

That's sort of tough shit though isn't it?

Who cares if it's silly? Perhaps it's supposed to be silly? It's just a big pair of tits. It's like saying Elvira is crossing a line because she's buxom.

Dead Man

So the response is 'Haha u r gay'? Regardless of the merits of the article, that is pretty pathetic.

And now having read the article, and seen the damn character, I can only agree with Schreier. Who would have thought that was possible?

Clov

Or you know, he's just joking around? The whole thing is silly, isn't it? I don't think George is taking the "article" (more of a blurb, really) quite seriously.

I'm guessing you haven't seen any of the fantasy artwork by Frank Frazetta that inspired most of the fantasy art from D&D and stuff?

Oh, and by the way J. Schreier apparently has terrible taste in art. Kamitani is a god. But by all means, J, bitch about the one company producing the most glorious 2D artwork seen in videogames ever.

RedAssedApe

Banned
well the argument from kotaku commenters when you ask them why they post certain weird articles is that they ARE NOT A NEWS SITE THEY ARE A BLOG.

so going with that...this shit fits perfectly.

EDarkness

That's sort of tough shit though isn't it?

Who cares if it's silly? Perhaps it's supposed to be silly? It's just a big pair of tits. It's like saying Elvira is crossing a line because she's buxom.

Maybe it is, but doesn't mean that we can't have an opinion about it. So many folks are ready to jump on someone who doesn't agree with them on this. In my opinion (as I said), I don't like it and it comes off as exploiting women a bit. You like it? Great.

SmokyDave

Blog writers need to stop assuming that the only people that sexualised characters appeal to are teenage boys. It's offensive.

rdrr gnr

The grounded title of the this thread may prevent some of the excess that would otherwise surely come.

I saw the Sorceress as someone's avatar and didn't believe it was real. Irrespective of my feelings, it seems like a response appropriate for Kotaku. It's the 'Do you eat shit' in concept-art form.

Ratrat

Well it's pretty insulting if you ask me. Response seems a bit homophobic though...

RedAssedApe

Banned
is this going to turn into another of those threads where scheirer pops in and "defends" himself? haha

(i don't really have any problems with the article)

Espada

well the argument from kotaku commenters when you ask them why they post certain weird articles is that they ARE NOT A NEWS SITE THEY ARE A BLOG.

so going with that...this shit fits perfectly.

Wait, that's how Kotaku deals with criticism about their content and its quality? That's pretty sad if true.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe it is, but doesn't mean that we can't have an opinion about it. So many folks are ready to jump on someone who doesn't agree with them on this. In my opinion (as I said), I don't like it and it comes off as exploiting women a bit. You like it? Great.

Well then, Kamitani's reply is perfect. He also exploited the men!

freddy

Banned
So he's making fun of J Schreier by implying he is gay? Sounds like something a 14yo would do. I have to agree on the female char being shit though. Maybe I'm gay as well.

EDarkness

I'm guessing you haven't seen any of the fantasy artwork by Frank Frazetta that inspired most of the fantasy art from D&D and stuff?

Of course I've seen his stuff, but my feeling about it is the same. I have a lot of respect for Frank's work, but I just feel like this is a different level entirely. Some people are gonna like it, but it should stand to reason that others won't.

sleepykyo

Schreier was serious? I thought that was a tongue in cheek article.

edit:

I'm still trying to figure out Kamitani's response. Was supposed to be a homophobic response or more like if you're complaining about uneven sexualization, I'm more than happy to sex up the men as well?

Salsa

article is obviously bad and mean-spirited to a ridiculous level

but so the answer to it is "lol ur gay" ?

orioto

Good Art™
So the response is 'Haha u r gay'? Regardless of the merits of the article, that is pretty pathetic.

And now having read the article, and seen the damn character, I can only agree with Schreier. Who would have thought that was possible?

I agree with the first part of your comment, the answer is pretty ambiguous.. The "which likes" part especially.

But the "article" saying an actual art style, even caricaturish, is kiddy, when it clearly has some deep cultural roots and great aesthetics.. That was pretty ridiculous.

Dead Man

Blog writers need to stop assuming that the only people that sexualised characters appeal to are teenage boys. It's offensive.

Other people need to stop thinking that not liking a particular depiction of a character means you are gay, or that there is something wrong with that. I have no problem with the design existing, I think it's bad, but so what? But the response was pathetic.

I agree with the first part of your comment, the answer is pretty ambiguous.. The "which likes" part especially.

But the "article" saying an actual art style, even caricaturish, is kiddy, when it clearly has some deep cultural roots and great aesthetics.. That was pretty ridiculous.

It's an opinion on an art style, there will never be a right answer. Calling out someone for having an opinion is not really going to achieve much. It certainly won't convince anyone you are not a juvenile idiot when the result is an utterly juvenile homophobic bullshit comment like that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
While the article in question is dumb and insulting to the artist, coming right back with a blatant sexual orientation jab is in very poor form.

Fusebox

Banned
Zangief is such a bear.

People who think this is a sexual orientation jab are like WHOOSH missing the point by a parsec.

Shinta

Banned
If this is supposed to be read as "You probably find men attractive, ha!", that's all kinds of offensive.

Is it less offensive to mock anyone who finds breasts attractive? It's "juvenile" if you like any erotic art now. Somehow it's become perfectly fine to mock people's sexuality and sexual expression if they're straight males. It's actually considered progressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom