• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2009 Anime Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

rykomatsu

Less than a month until start of the new season~
Some great series making a comeback (Ippo and Natsume) but looks, so far, to be a par/subpar season in terms of quality. Posts will be updated as new info comes up and as time permits. Missing a handful, to my knowledge at the moment, but here you guys go.

Akikan! / アキカン!
Synopsis: When the protagonist puts his mout to a melon flavoured soda from a vending machine, the canned drink turns into a girl. While spending time with the steel can spirit that transforms into a girl, the protagonist gets drug into a war between steel and aluminum cans.

akikan.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beast Performer / 獣の奏者
From the author who brought us Seirei no Moribito and the subsequent Seirei and Tabibito series

Synopsis: Erin lives with her mother who is a beast doctor. One day, many fighting snakes, used for battles, die suddenly and Erin's mother is forced to take the blame and is executed. The orphaned Erin is saved by the Bee Tamer Joun and while living with him, she encounters the king of beasts who flies in the sky over the mountains. Amazed by this sight, Erin becomes determined to become a beast doctor, but as fate would have it, she
becomes embroiled in a situation that will decide the future of her country.

kemono.jpg

Birdy the Mighty DECODE:02 / 鉄腕バーディ DECODE:02
Synposis: As seen in DECODE, a scantily cladded muscle for brains woman beats the crap out of aliens. Website update coming on 12/10/2008

birdy.jpg

Chrome Shelled Regios / 鋼殻のレギオス

Promotional Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeP5temgw-A&fmt=22

regios.jpg

Hajime no Ippo New Challenger / はじめの一歩 New Challenger
Synopsis: Coming of age boxing series. If you haven't seen the original already, go see it...now. Don't think much more needs to be said about this except it's damn good. Miyata Ichiro is an annoying piece of shit, though.

Hetalia / ヘタリア
Synopsis: A comedy about personified countries. You got America (fuck yeah), England, China, etc etc etc. Story revolves primarily around Italy and Germany and is a play on various countries historical events, stereotypes and what not.

hetalia.jpg

Kurokami - The Animation / 黒神 The Animation
Synopsis: One evening, the protagonist, Ibuki Keita, who's lost his mother due to an accident, meets Kuro, an upper class ghost (for lack of a better term). However, Keita is attacked by a mysterious man out to destroy Kuro and subsequently loses his left arm. To prevent Keita from dying, Kuro exchanges her arm, and forms a pact with him. Supposedly Kuro doesn't wear underwear and wears a micromini skirt.

kurokami.jpg

Major - 5th Series / メジャー 第5シリーズ
Synopsis: More of the baseball stuff

major5th.jpg

Maria Holic / まりあ†ほりっく
Synopsis: A love comedy about a cross dressing sadist boy and a girl with a lesbian fetish that takes place at an all-girls catholic school. I like this combo :p

mariaholic.jpg

Maria-sama is Watching - 4th Season / マリア様がみてる - 4thシーズン

maria.jpg

Minami-ke - Welcome Back / みなみけ - おかえり
Synopsis: Season 3 of the slice of life comedy which took a dump in season 2...not expecting much of a recovery from S2 but we'll see. Season 1 was very well done in comparison.

minamike.jpg

Shikabane Hime Kuro / 屍姫 - シカバネヒメ 玄
Synopsis: Season 2 of Corpse Princess. Takes place in a world where people who die with regrets become animated corpses. Some monk sect, in turn, decided to reanimate dead women with regrets to combat these animated corpses. Something about, when the original encantation was created, it was specifically for female teens so that's the reason why all the corpse princesses are women and are young...apparently, the corpse princesses don't wear underwear either...

shikabane_hime-kuro.jpg

Slayers EVOLUTION-R
Synopsis: I honestly don't know what this series is about. The art design is a turnoff for me, but seems like it's rather popular on GAF

evoR.jpg

The Tale of Genji - Millenium / 源氏物語千年紀 Genji
Synopsis: It's to commemorate the 1000 year anniversary of Tale of Genji...The story itself is a classic novel by the female aristocrat, Murasaki Shikibu and essentially is about an Emperor who is relegated to commoner status due to political reasons. The story follows his romantic life and gives a vivid look into the upper class society of Japan during that era.

genji.jpg

Tommorrow's Yoichi / 明日のよいち
Synopsis: Love comedy, harem situation, male protagonist ends up living with 4 sisters of the Ikaruga Dojo.

12/9/2008 Edit - Script writer wrote script for ep1~7 of Kannagi. Will definitely need to watch a few eps of this now.

ashitanoyoichi.jpg

Tower of Drauga - the Sword of URUK / `ドルアーガの塔
Synopsis: Admittedly never saw the Aegis of URUK either so can't comment...seemed like it was getting a decently good reception on GAF, though.

drauga.jpg

Viper's Creed
Synopsis: Motorcycle(?) anime? I'm getting some Blassreiter vibes...

viperscreed.jpg

WHITE ALBUM
Synopsis: The girl, who the protagonist is dating, becomes a pop star...protagonist starts waning and eventually cheats on her and what not.

Zoku Natsume Yuujincho / 続 夏目友人帳
Synopsis: Season 2 story about a high school boy who's experienced solitude and isolation in his past due to his ability to see monsters, as his grandmother was able to do. Grandmother left a book full of names, of which the owner has control over. Boy returns names, makes new friends both real and supernatural. While the stories are generally
very simple, the presentation is beautiful and serene. It's not a love story, but the girl with glasses is pretty damn cute. Was ranked #1 during Summer '08 on Dengeki as
one of the best anime to watch that season. This is one I'm personally looking forward to, tremendously. It's an interesting take on the concept of lonliness and I'm sure a lot
of people can find something they can relate to throughout the series.

natsumeyuujincho.jpg

rykomatsu

Reserved for additional series

Rideback / ライドバック

Synopsis: Hey look...something slightly different...story about a,*gasp* COLLEGE (not HS) girl who rides a bipedal motorcycle called a Rideback that takes place in 2020 Japan

c20081201_rideback_99_cs1w1_592x700.jpg

Girl who Leapt Through the Heavens / 宇宙をかける少女

Synopsis: Orbital Year 331, about a girl named Akiha Shishido. Was born on a space colony, grew up on a space colony, and goes to school on a space colony. A rather normal girl in this age. However, chance would have it, she comes across a space colony named Leopold that possesses artificial intelligence. The AI posesses a mix of the worst personality traits most humans have...self centered, belligerent, potty mouthed etc. However, Leopold has an alterior motive...

Leopold is voiced by Fukuyama Jun (Lelouche)...should be interesting to say how Leopold is portrayed. I wonder if various lines can be swapped verbatim and still maintain the same context between CG and this series in various places.
c20081008_sorakake_01_cs1w1_456x640.jpg

Munto - Sora wo Miageru Shoujo no Hitomi ni Utsuru Sekai (A Kyo-ani original, late winter/early spring...unclear atm)
Queens Blade
Fresh PreCure

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
HELL YEAH, Maria-sama Ga Miteru Season 4. One of my favorite anime franchises to come out in a long time is finally back on TV.

All over my face, here is hoping we get more man hating Kanako goodness :D

Kanakohosokawa.jpg

mAcOdIn

Where the h e double hockey sticks is my new Haruhi?

+1 for more Natsume however, last season was some great entertainment with some episodes being damn moving.

Defuser

Thanks for the thread rykomatsu.

Hmm...my picks:
Tetsuwan Birdy Season 2: Hell yeah!

Tower of the Druaga - Sword of Uruk :eek:h Gonzo,you better not fuck this up.

IPPO!! : I admit I never watch the original nor read the manga(don't kill me!!!!)

Minami Ke S3 : Well season 3 is going back to the original designs of S1 and it's no longer under the Shuffle! team (fuck yeah). I may have hope for this.

MariaHolic : From the descriptions,it seems similar to Otoboku which mean I will be suckered into watching this. :(

White Album : Love cheat affair with Nana Mizuki and Hirano Aya? I'm fucking in!!!!!

Any maybe Kurokami....

mAcOdIn said:
Where the h e double hockey sticks is my new Haruhi?
Blame Clannad : After Story,there's like 14 weeks left for clannad to finish.

Hcoregamer00

Damn, not a lot of love for Maria-Sama Ga Miteru.

I guess I am probably the only person here who likes slow paced Yuri with great characters and storytelling.

Fine

There's also that Hetalia Axis Powers show. The one where WWII is represented by male ethnic stereotypes. Like Italy likes pasta and Japan is an otaku or something like that.

The concept scares me.

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
Damn, not a lot of love for Maria-Sama Ga Miteru.

I guess I am probably the only person here who likes slow paced Yuri with great characters and storytelling.

Well, considering it's on S4, I'm assuming it's a pretty good series? Are they true sequels to each other or do they just take place in the same world, just in different times/locations?

Hcoregamer00

rykomatsu said:
Well, considering it's on S4, I'm assuming it's a pretty good series? Are they true sequels to each other or do they just take place in the same world, just in different times/locations?

Good series? It is an AMAZING SERIES (if you like slow pacing and lots of character development). It is heartwrenching and so well done.

The franchise is all interconnected, so it is pretty much a must watch from the beginning. Maria-Sama ga Miteru is the Yuri that is endlessly copied, but never properly emulated. There are plenty of Yuri out there, but Marmite is still the master of them all.

As you can tell, I am a pretty big fan.

The first three seasons are available in the USA as Maria Watches Over Us.
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
Good series? It is an AMAZING SERIES (if you like slow pacing and lots of character development). It is heartwrenching and so well done.

hm...in terms of pacing and char development, how would you compare it to ARIA? I really loved that series, especially Origination (the final one)

Shouta

Defuser said:
Wait, even Ippo? lol

Come on, do you think they could follow-up the original series well and after all these years? I`m not placing bets until I see it! It does have slightly rigged dice of course.

Joule

I'll probably end up watching about half or more of this coming season.

Definite viewings:
Maria Holic, Ippo, Birdy, Shikabane, Minami-ke

Interested in:
Beast Performer, Zoku Natsume Yuujincho, Akikan (cans come on), Kurokami, White Album, Drauga, Hetalia Axis Powers

Natsume Yuujincho sounds really interesting in particular. Is it similar to something like Mushishi?

I had watched the first season of Maria-Sama ga Miteru, it was enjoyable. I somehow missed the 2nd and 3rd seasons when they came about. Perhaps I'll work my way through it sometime to get started on the 4th.

Hcoregamer00

rykomatsu said:
hm...in terms of pacing and char development, how would you compare it to ARIA? I really loved that series, especially Origination (the final one)

Never seen Aria, so I cannot make a proper comparison.

But compared to other Yuri series like Strawberry Panic, it is far superior.

Shouta

flintstryker said:
you Claimed Ippo, Major and Higurashi are crapshoot.

See above for Ippo. Higurashi meh. Major`s been running for 4 straight seasons now, crapshoot rules don`t really apply.

Shouta said:
Come on, do you think they could follow-up the original series well and after all these years? I`m not placing bets until I see it! It does have slightly rigged dice of course.

If they follow the manga, which they will, it will pretty much be great. It could even contain janky ass budget fight scenes like Vorg vs Sendo and I'd be happy.

rykomatsu

Joule said:
Natsume Yuujincho sounds really interesting in particular. Is it similar to something like Mushishi?

I've never watched Mushishi, but I've seen the two compared occasionally. If you hunt around, I'm sure you can find a few subbed eps of Natsume Yuujincho without much problem and compare the 2.

Linkzg said:
It could even contain janky ass budget fight scenes like Vorg vs Sendo and I'd be happy.

What? lol
If anything, Vorg needs to make more of an appearance...he's probably the closest boxer to actually being able to beat Ricardo Martinez at this point too...

Shouta

Linkzg said:
If they follow the manga, which they will, it will pretty much be great. It could even contain janky ass budget fight scenes like Vorg vs Sendo and I'd be happy.

The budget/animation would be my biggest worry. The story should be fine considering how far the original anime went but lawdy, the budget is gonna make me cry if it sucks. >=(

rykomatsu said:
What? lol
If anything, Vorg needs to make more of an appearance...he's probably the closest boxer to actually being able to beat Ricardo Martinez at this point too...

I have no clue what you just did there. Did you watch the first Ippo anime? the fight between Vorg and Sendo was animated by chimps, or lepers, or leper chimps.

Shouta said:
See above for Ippo. Higurashi meh. Major`s been running for 4 straight seasons now, crapshoot rules don`t really apply.
hmm wel if you put it that way...though i still don't agree with you and Higurashi (still i may be the only person who liked season 2 more than 1 even though they were both awesome)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Shouta said:

Logically I know this is probably true, yet somewhere within my soul burns a flame which cannot be quenched by logic. A flame that can only be sated by more Ippo.

rykomatsu

Linkzg said:
I have no clue what you just did there. Did you watch the first Ippo anime? the fight between Vorg and Sendo was animated by chimps, or lepers, or leper chimps.

i'm trying to pull stuff back from memory so my memories of scenes are based more on the content than the animation i think...i really liked the volg stories so it might be making my recollection of the scenes better than it actually was >.>

flintstryker said:
hmm wel if you put it that way...though i still don't agree with you and Higurashi (still i may be the only person who liked season 2 more than 1 even though they were both awesome)

Well, Higurashi Kai was in essence the literal translation of Kai. I think the presentation of The question and answer arcs were done really well. The content of the answers though? It was a little...meh...it was creative for lack of a better term but it killed the atmosphere created in season 1.

That said, I'm really looking forward to Umineko when it hits the airwaves sometime in the unknown future :) (actually, I think I'm more interested in the OP music than the story itself lol...really fucking amazing music in the game)

Joule

flintstryker said:

Well on Higurashi, I don't think he's quite wrong. I liked Higurashi on a whole throughout both seasons (more so the first because of the intriguing mysteries) but man did S2 have some lulz moments. Log rolling? It felt like it all could of been done much better.

Maybe one too many friendship speeches as well.

I've got absolute faith in Ippo though.

zoku88

Kyoufu said:
Doruaga!

Sadly I didn't finish the first season because they stopped airing it on youtube. :(
Wats wrong with crunchyroll?

Didn't know they stopped on youtube, but they didnt on CR.

Kyoufu

zoku88 said:

Yeah I didn't discover CR til waaaaay later. Will catch up on Doruaga once I finish Code Geass (which I'm not afraid to admit, ROCKS!).

Defuser

zoku88 said:

I hate their squarish pixels back then. Since they fixed it by offering HD option and other stuff. It's good.

rykomatsu

btw, while this isn't 2009 material, since the series was brought up...i have to say that Yukino Satsuki (Mion/Shion)'s VAing in Higurashi was really fucking good, especially differentiating between the 2 on the fly :)

Pachael

Pop On Arrival said:
Gonna watch Minamike, but I'm still waiting for SHAFT to do another season of Sayanora Zetsubou Sensei. :(

To be fair, they're busy with the OADs, aka Season 2.5. First episode was out in October with Vol 15 of the manga, the next on Dec 10, and the last on Feb 15 with Vol 16 of the manga. So yeah.

Me?
Minamike
Druaga
Slayers

EDIT: Whoops, OAD 2 is out today 12/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom