• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limbo of the Lost stole from Oblivion, Morrowind, UT2K4, Diablo, Silent Hill, more?

neight

Banned
Burli said:
I swear even the majestic studios logo of the tiger is blatantly ripped from somewhere else. I feel like I know that picture from somewhere.
I seem to remember a tiger like that being the logo for a movie production company. I think you can see it before the movie The Phantom begins when the production companies show their company animation logos before the movie starts.

Wonderdog

neight said:
I seem to remember a tiger like that being the logo for a movie production company. I think you can see it before the movie The Phantom begins when the production companies show their company animation logos before the movie starts.

Mandalay Pictures is the logo, if I remember correctly.

Atilac

Wonderdog said:
Mandalay Pictures is the logo, if I remember correctly.
119961138599.gif

Wonderdog

neight said:

Can we get someone with screen-grab capabilities to grab the Majestic logo and the Mandalay Entertainment logo for a side-by-side comparison??

pn18

Banned
Gordon: So have any more recent games influenced your current project?

Steve Bovis: The project is more influenced by film and literature rather than other games, we want the experience to be as original as possible and as such we have made a calculated effort to keep away from other games in the genre. Limbo of the Lost is an experience first and foremost, secondly wrapped up in a game media and genre.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

http://www.quandaryland.com/jsp/dispArticle.jsp?index=795

Mudo

I didn't want to post anything but I decided to go look on Amazon.com and there it was. This HAS to be a total hoax, elaborate for sure but it can't be real. Just read the 3 "reviews" on amazon.com for the game, all posted on June 12 and all completely tongue in cheek. It's a prank. Even the game's abbreviation is LOL (Limbo of the Lost).

Funny, and I can't wait for it to be confirmed by someone for what it is.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Mudo said:
I didn't want to post anything but I decided to go look on Amazon.com and there it was. This HAS to be a total hoax, elaborate for sure but it can't be real. Just read the 3 "reviews" on amazon.com for the game, all posted on June 12 and all completely tongue in cheek. It's a prank. Even the game's abbreviation is LOL (Limbo of the Lost).

Those Amazon user reviews were written after the news broke.

If this is a hoax, it's incredibly elaborate. It would involve several fake online retailers taking money for orders, three existing publishers (including 1C, which is pretty major), with one of them releasing fake press releases, a guy posting heavily on a developer forum for 3 years just to support a hoax (not only posting, but posting constant code advice for support for his game), then him doing several interviews with adventure game sites over the past year.

And to what end? To have a laugh? It can't be viral for some "big product", as they have violated dozens of copyrights.

Xabora

morningbus said:
For reference:
thief.png

I've already tried the obvious google/deviantart searches. (tiger, watercolor tiger, airbrush tiger, tiger protrait, tiger face, etc.)

Also, not sure if it has been mentioned, someone ripped the bonus DVD to youtube:

Part 1: http://youtube.com/watch?v=RIL_OWlNbyE

Part 2: http://youtube.com/watch?v=soE6Vn0gBw4

Part 3: http://youtube.com/watch?v=pCYEQC4sPiA
OMFG, is that the music from HeXeN?

Seems they took the HIGHRES HEXEN SOUNDTRACK... from what I can tell.
http://www.sycraft.org/content/audio/hexen.shtml

EDIT: Yes I dusted off my HeXeN CD to make sure. :p
EDIT2: Downloading the music pack to be sure.

Zilch

Banned
Mudo said:

The sarcastic reviews were posted yesterday when the news of this game's theft spread across the internet like wildfire. Not hard to figure out.

You should really read the thread.

edit: FlyinJ's post was better.

Mash

morningbus said:
For reference:
thief.png

I've already tried the obvious google/deviantart searches. (tiger, watercolor tiger, airbrush tiger, tiger protrait, tiger face, etc.)

They probably just scanned it in from some random biscuit tin or something.

Xabora

Superfrog said:
Does it ever stop? :lol
\hexensoundtrack\music\Data\jHexen\Music\cryptr.ogg
\hexensoundtrack\music\Data\jHexen\Music\secretr.ogg also?

seems to match the monk loop in the video.
There also seems to be a bunch of crap sound effects added to the video also.

Not 100% sure, prolly a better idea with more audio experience to look over the tracks.

EDIT: God I forgot how awesome the HeXeN soundtrack was.

EDIT 2:

Looks like the loop is most likely from
\hexensoundtrack\music\Data\jHexen\Music\swampr.ogg 1:36ish

Vorador

Banned
Superfrog said:
Does it ever stop? :lol

At this point, we can safely assume everything is ripped off from other commercial games :D :D

Some voiceover from the trailers seems like has been ripped from Eternal Darkness. :lol

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Wonderdog said:
Interesting stance, considering my copy shipped out this morning.

:lol :lol :lol
i'll wait for the unboxing and hands-on :p
i'm still in denial here people, this atrocity of a project is NOT REAL! it's too much.
*waiting for someone to jump and yell you got punk'd in the A*

Xabora

forgeforsaken said:
Company logo reminds me of a black velvet painting.
Thing is... we are looking for a half an image or a full image.

I noticed because the face of the tiger is f*cking mirrored. :lol

Superfrog

Just assuming this indeed isn't a gigantic (and therefore absolutely amazing) fake - how could the publisher possibly trust a developer with an official website hosted by Geocities?! I still can't believe it :lol

Ventrue

Superfrog said:
Just assuming this indeed isn't a gigantic (and therefore absolutely amazing) fake - how could the publisher possibly trust a developer with an official website hosted by Geocities?! I still can't believe it :lol

Super low budget shovelware.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Xabora said:
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/5951/lolgordonsn4.jpg[img]

[img]http://pnmedia.gamespy.com/planetcnc.gamespy.com/features/reviews/bfme/mainmenu.jpg[img]

:lol[/QUOTE]
They stole their main menu from a LOTR game? :lol

neight

Banned
Superfrog said:
Don't blame them for giving a small indie developer a chance. Blame those fuckers that made it that much harder for indies.

Xabora

Jocchan said:
They stole the font too. Look at the R in Reality, and then and the R in Rings.
Nah, looks like they just outlined the font and filled it in with black. :lol
Then pieced it together bit by bit.

neight said:
Don't blame them for giving a small indie developer a chance. Blame those fuckers that made it that much harder for indies.
The proper name for the trio is: FuckWads.

Superfrog

neight said:
Don't blame them for giving a small indie developer a chance.

I don't. But come on, how much effort is involved in setting up a proper yet simple website with a company profile, members and samples of work or something like that? As a publisher, I would take this for granted (among other things) before even consider to work with someone. If some indie devs are not able to showcase themselves properly in the interwebs, how would their main work possibly look like?

b.e.r.g

... this is just too damn far. It's gone way over the top many many times allready. I'm seriously looking forward to see a GAFer with hands on, cause I got a feeling this might just be too damn good to be true =P

I need some juicy lawsuit evidence soon, couse I do want to belive!

Xabora

b.e.r.g said:
... this is just too damn far. It's gone way over the top many many times allready. I'm seriously looking forward to see a GAFer with hands on, cause I got a feeling this might just be too damn good to be true =P

I need some juicy lawsuit evidence soon, couse I do want to belive!
Considering its outdone itself over 15times which makes it nearly impossible to belive.

Once I get my hands on it... I'll RIP IT APART!
(Data wise and dive deep into the files to see what I can find.)

Torquill

For those of you who think it's fake, consider this. Tri-Synergy is a real publisher, a legitimate business. This is going to fuck with Tri-Synergy's reputation. They wouldn't play along with a joke like this, this shit is real and real people are going to be hurt.

We are dangerously close to the internet melting. All it takes is for him to get Jacko as his layer and the series of tubes will overload and explode. :lol

Xabora

farnsworth.jpg

Good News Everyone,

My Copy of that dreadful dreadful game has finally shipped.
So I'll need you all to come to my office next week so we may see this dreadful dreadful game.
There is a chance of insanity or death.

Don't worry surely everything will be fine... I hope.

Bye now.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
Mine shipped too, can't wait! :)

Model Product Description Quantity Shipped Shipping Method Tracking Number
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TSY LIMBO Limbo Of The Lost - Windows 1 Ground (Call Customer Service)

duckroll

chickensoup said:
Does the next screen tell you to "Purge your thoughts of the life you knew before"? Or maybe "Darkness stirs and wakes imagination"?

"Only then.... will you belong..... to me....."

DavidDayton said:
The adventure site quoted earlier gave the game a somewhat favorable review... I'm wondering if this is a case of guys who love adventure games, have no artists, and figured that the actual backgrounds "weren't important" as the "meat" of the game was the writing and puzzles... it would be odd to have a decent game made entirely by content thieves, or so I'd like to think.

It's bad that I really want to play this now, isn't it?

Agreed, but the slimy self-promotion (on adventure gaming sites) and the way how the guy got so much help making the game (engine) work, only to have it turn out that all the art was stolen, sure aren''t helping their case, for sure... but yeah, going by that review it does seem that there might actually be a decent adventure game there, behind all the stolen content and lies. But more reviews would help determine whether it's good or not... and now, that might be unlikely. :)

dose

Oh fuck. I've just found proof that some of the Amiga stuff was ripped off too :lol :lol :lol
I thought I recognised something... give me 15 and I'll sort out a gif...

Edit: Here we go... anyone remember Guy Spy on the Amiga?
Check out that background....

33az3bm.gif

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
dose said:
Oh fuck. I've just found proof that some of the Amiga stuff was ripped off too :lol :lol :lol
I thought I recognised something... give me 15 and I'll sort out a gif...

Edit: Here we go... anyone remember Guy Spy on the Amiga?
Check out that background....

33az3bm.gif
Wow, just wow.

Top Bottom