• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roommates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
How hard is it to not be an asshole? I'm about to put this on my shared fridge.

cxbAZ.jpg

grumble

1. Dorm fridge
2. Talk to them before being a pussy and leaving a note.
3. If they don't listen after you talk to them and leave the note, the next time you make food make it with toilet water. Once it's been eaten, leave another note explaining that you don't know where your toilet water food went.
4. If they continue to eat your food, upgrade to laxatives. Don't leave a note that time though, because it's HILARIOUS and worth the money.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Passive aggressive notes, regardless of their truthfulness, make a share house even more volatile to live in. I suggest you bring up the topic in person. If you don't, well, good luck.

I've tried this with putting notes, but it never works. They just get weirded out by the passive aggression, like you're some introvert autistic guy who can't express his emotions. Roommates and students have a bad diet regime, so they'll eat whatever they can find.

Talking it out always works, though.

Bellamin

Don't leave a note. Man up and make threats of physical violence in person. Better yet, you should just greet your roommates with a punch to the groin when they come home. Another idea is to buy a shotgun and leave it by the fridge. Don't say anything about it, just clean it every time they're home. And by all means, if losing your shit means posting on GAF instead of directly approaching the problem, have at it!

Anteater

You did well Timedog.

I know how hard it is to talk to someone face to face without wanting to rip his face off, especially it's someone who keeps fucking with your food.

It's better to just leave a note.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
My roommates and I agree'd early on that we could eat each others food as long as we leave enough for the person that bought it to have the last bowl/dish of whatever. Works well, no one eats more than a bit of something here or there and things remain copacetic.

Tesseract

Banned
sabotage your food, that'll learn them. salt your cereal, laxate your drinks, etc. this is how i handled my roommates in college. they fucking learned.

Hoo-doo

Banned
You did well Timedog.

I know how hard it is to talk to someone face to face without wanting to rip his face off, especially it's someone who keeps fucking with your food.

It's better to just leave a note.

Sure, if you prefer to look like a total chump incapable of solving things the normal way.

notworksafe

So "freaking the fuck out" is code for whining on GAF about your roommates?

Just talk to them like a normal person. Don't leave a note like some sort of autistic man baby.

Loofy

I really dont get the concept of living with strangers.

I know you gotta split the costs and all but Id rather be super poor and struggling than have roommates I dont know. I know a single mother living in a small condo with her 6 year old daughter, and she has a car. If she can do it so can you.

DominoKid

Unwritten rules of food & roommates

1. You can have some but don't eat it all.
2. Don't eat the last of something if you didn't buy it.
3. In the event that you break 2 (because it happens), please buy more.

Foolproof.

We've never had a problem in our house w/ food.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'll talk to them whenever they get home. Note is staying on the fridge as a constant reminder.

No you wouldn't.

They're not home right now. They could, you know, talk to me before eating my shit that I paid for.

But it's possible--if kind of thoughtless (in the literal sense) and inconsiderate--that they aren't aware of this. Maybe they think it's ok to share everything and it will "even out". Again, that's a little dumb but not necessarily malicious. But leaving a pissy note is definitely dickish and passive-aggressive.

The point is you can't get really righteously angry until you've explicitly explained to them that you don't want anyone touching your food. In person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom