• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R patched to 1.3: 60fps, story mode camera changes, lag improved, etc

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This is addictive. Pleasantly surprised by the slick menus, shiny graphics, catchy music, tight controls, abundant options, etc. The story mode is fun so far (first world looks gorgeous), and the cutscenes are adorable. You can also play Battle Mode against CPUs if you want a quick match. It feels SO GOOD to play a Bomberman game again.

Playing it since launch. Now it is of course even better.
But locally, I've had a blast playing it with friends

RoadHazard

Gold Member
how can you guys tell if something is 60fps without software to test it?

The difference between 30 and 60 is easy to tell, obviously. If it's somewhere in-between 30 and 60 you get judder, since TVs are locked to a 60hz refresh rate (or some multiple of that) and consoles always output 60 (if the framerate is lower frames are repeated). If you know what locked 60 feels like it's not very hard to tell when it's not quite there.

I am rather tempted but unless I play online I don't know how much fun I would get out of this after I beat the singleplayer. Awesome to see the support, hopefully Konami actually keeps it up.

Cleve

I'm just shocked it's getting this level of post launch support. I came very close to trading it in, but I guess I'll be playing it this weekend.

Felensis

Banned
I think there are people who would have happily bought it if word of mouth didn't come out that it was broken at launch. I would have bought it anyway if not for a delay on my preorder anyway.

But there were way more people who stayed away because of the price. I think they're wrong and all a bunch of poo poo heads because Bomberman is worth any price. But that's not the point. Those poo poo heads still wouldn't have bought the game even if it launched perfectly. Because they're poo poo heads. :(

I'm wondering about the critics since I first played Super Bomberman R. We had a 8p mayhem right after the Switch launched and everyone was happy with it nor did anyone complain about the controls. Same accounts for the story mode which I've finished with a friend of mine a few days later. Only thing which we had to complain was the unbalanced difficulty. We had to go back from normal to easy half-way through because it got too rough at the end. Other than that we enjoyed the quirky humor which reminded us of Saturday morning cartoons and we enjoyed the bossfights a lot.

FleenerW

Excellent, Konami!

Now revive this:

gKRZri5.jpg

...Please? :c

I'm wondering about the critics since I first played Super Bomberman R. We had a 8p mayhem right after the Switch launched and everyone was happy with it nor did anyone complain about the controls. Same accounts for the story mode which I've finished with a friend of mine a few days later. Only thing which we had to complain was the unbalanced difficulty. We had to go back from normal to easy half-way through because it got too rough at the end. Other than that we enjoyed the quirky humor which reminded us of Saturday morning cartoons and we enjoyed the bossfights a lot.

From my own experience, at launch the control lag in offline was insane and both myself and the other players felt we were unable to do the stuff we do in just about any other bomberman game we've played (like reliably dropping bombs in sequence at each crossroad while running over them or the like).
After 1.1.2 patch it became very much more playable as it fixed the issues we had with rounding corners (bomberman games have a very specific way of dealing with this and pre-1.1.2 it was completely off) and the control lag was reduced to the point where it felt like it should.
1.1.3 just further refines it.

I think people who aren't bomberman fiends might've not been as aware of the lag but if you're used to pulling off all the 'advanced' bombing techniques and tightly timed manouvers higher level players use, the lag was glaringly obvious and rendered it highly unpleasant to play. Not that it matters now, because the lag's all gone! yay! :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
somewhat decent post-release support, and good chart position at switch launch has me hoping Konami see the potential and resurrect Bomberman properly across all platforms. Its a perfect multiplayer staple - granted you probably couldn't do yearly releases but you could do well with careful DLC updates etc.

It's a big ask, but I'd really appreciate it if they changed the game to allow players to walk off higher levels down to lower ones. There's still too many situations where you can get stranded on high blocks that bring the game to a grinding halt.

StayDead

It's a big ask, but I'd really appreciate it if they changed the game to allow players to walk off higher levels down to lower ones. There's still too many situations where you can get stranded on high blocks that bring the game to a grinding halt.

I guess the only reason they don't allow this already is it might be too easy to get up high and fall off immediately due to the previous control problems.

Regiruler

I think that would affect some maps too much.

The labryinth one needs a change for the better though.

I think that would affect some maps too much.

The labryinth one needs a change for the better though.

Yeah, that's why I said it would probably be a big ask. It feels pretty bad not being able to walk off ledges in the great wall and stuff too though, even if it doesn't break the level like it does in labyrinth

I was pleasantly surprised by how much better the game feels now. Just so much more responsive and fluid. I don't think I noticed a graphical downgrade either as some are reporting? Hopefully DF will come to the rescue and confirm!

I'm guessing Konkani just rushed the game to launch without putting any finish polish on it, but are sticking with it to get to the game they originally envisioned.

grendelrt

I'm guessing Konkani just rushed the game to launch without putting any finish polish on it, but are sticking with it to get to the game they originally envisioned.
That plus a boatload of sales. If it bombed they would have let it sink probably. Glad they are supporting it, we need more Hudson games.

taoofjord

SP framerate is improved but definitely variable and not 60fps locked. Seems more like ~45 to me.

MP, though, seems to be a locked 60. Really happy with this patch.

deadfolk

Couple of questions:

1) How is this as a ten-minute pick up and play short session type of game?
2) Can you play the multiplayer modes solo with just bots or do you have to play the campaign/story modes?
3) What solo modes are there, for that matter?

Okay, so that was three questions.

I wasn't going to buy this game, but the support it is receiving is prompting me to support the game.

Oh well, i'll have to spend a little more to get both MK8D and Bomberman now

It is leaps better than launch.. I couldnt really play this game to potential at launch to be honest the lag really killed my game...

I can tell the frame rate is vastly improved.. it just feels tons snappier local.

Regiruler

Yeah, that's why I said it would probably be a big ask. It feels pretty bad not being able to walk off ledges in the great wall and stuff too though, even if it doesn't break the level like it does in labyrinth
Great Wall is fine. Hell the people on the wall already have it easier than the people stuck below (it's really easy to block people from coming up, and the revenge carts have a field day with anybody not on the wall).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Damn this is awesome. Multi just got way better.

Shout out to the certain people who said you didn't need higher framerate for Bomberman.

Couple of questions:

1) How is this as a ten-minute pick up and play short session type of game?
2) Can you play the multiplayer modes solo with just bots or do you have to play the campaign/story modes?
3) What solo modes are there, for that matter?

Okay, so that was three questions.
1. You can play the story mode levels like that but it's not very long. You could play a round or two of local multiplayer with bots, I guess. Bomberman is not a game you'll be playing solo unless you're grinding for gems.
2. Yes, you can play local multiplayer with bots.
3. Outside of local multiplayer with bots and solo online, it's just story mode.

Great Wall is fine. Hell the people on the wall already have it easier than the people stuck below (it's really easy to block people from coming up, and the revenge carts have a field day with anybody not on the wall).

Yeah, though I'd argue part of the "I have the high ground anakin!" is due to the funky way ramps work (can't lay bombs on them, can't kick bombs up them, etc) and how punching bombs up works (can't punch them up onto the wall if someone is standing on the space you're aiming at if I remember correctly.) I think just having the kick advantage is enough without adding all that on top :p

LordKano

Now that they've fixed most issues, the only problem I still have with the game is that I need to buy another controller if I want to play with my two brothers. So the addition goes up to 40+80€ and I don't really know if Bomberman is worth that much right now :/

On the other hand, I'll need to buy another controller anyway for ARMS so it might just be a matter of time.

Online plays much better now. Tried a few matches and had no lag.
Which setting in the options are you using for match making? Are you using free battle or league? Also, are you using wifi or docked ethernet? My online experience hasn't been fantastic, but other online PC games work fantastic, so it can't be my internet.

Top Bottom