• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm just a messenger. Don't kill me. Also, read the whole article instead of just seeing the quotes or the title. THEN discuss.

One source tells Kotaku that Final Fantasy Versus XIII was officially cancelled within the last few weeks. The decision impacted morale at Square Enix and staff were reportedly saddened by the move.

Square Enix, this source added, has also decided to let Final Fantasy Versus XIII die quietly on the vine and fade away, instead of officially announcing its cancellation. This would likely be due to the fact a public acknowledgement of a Versus' cancellation could impact things like Square Enix's stock prices.

So, is Final Fantasy Versus XIII finally and officially dead? Without confirmation from Square Enix, we can't say for sure. While these reports certainly indicate the long-awaited game has been cancelled, Square's reluctance to acknowledge them means those desperately wanting to see more of the project still have a glimmer of hope to hold onto.

But if the game fails to make an appearance at either the upcoming Final Fantasy celebrations or the 2012 Tokyo Game Show? Then yeah, given what we've heard (particularly of Square's reported desire to kill the game quietly), you'd be a lot safer assuming Versus XIII is kaput and start looking forward to the next big FF game.

Contrary to Kotaku

Goes against information I was told quite recently, which was that Nomura is hard at work on the game and something of it will be shown at TGS.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5927645/rumor-fin...m_source=kotaku_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Card Boy

Banned
Honestly who didn't see this coming for the past 3 years? We are at the end of the generation and the game is still nowhere to be seen.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mmmmmh, it's Kotaku. I'd wait for something with much more credibility...Kagari, for example XD

LuuKyK

This can't be true.

proxy

Not a shocker either way for me, but if true, absolutely poor form on Square-Enix's behalf if true. Absolutely atrocious way to treat your fans.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
If we're getting news on this it's at TGS or at that new XIII project thingy that SE just announced. Seriously doubt it's cancelled though.

Mael

Wasn't there some rumour about Crystal Bearer being cancelled as well just months before some executive came out and said it was all BS?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Goes against information I was told quite recently, which was that Nomura is hard at work on the game and something of it will be shown at TGS.

kevm3

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. If it is, that's the second time Sony got the sucker end of the deal. First was "the Agent' vaporware... and now this.

Ryoku

Oh shit. However, I did expect this, to be completely honest. I imagined it to be somehow "meld" with Final Fantasy XV in some form.

RaijinFY

Now, Sony has to announce that The Last Guardian is definitively cancelled and i can walk this shitty generation off.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It would actually make sense to distance it from the Final Fantasy XIII series like they did with Agito. I'm betting on it just being turned into FF XV

Mael

And the fun part was that some mod (was it Dragona?) also commented on the game later saying that it was really nothing like what we should expect at the time further debunking the rumour....
I'll do what I did back then, trust the mods over the people in the media.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kotaku has heard from several sources that the game, as originally intended, is done for.

What the hell does it mean? That is so ambiguous it can mean anything.

Oh well, bad news if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom