• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Computron

Wen back to edit so the new tentative date is Saturday the 12th, how does that work? Gives people time to ship from amazon, practice, get some cheevos and get hammered on Cinco de Mayo.

Kuroyume

Banned
I will not buy this game if the DMR isn't better than the BR in every single way. No reason why the DMR should not br as good as the BR in mid range combat.

Computron

Both of them are actually pretty good. I love district, they tore half of it out of the second campaign level, like the courtyard section with the two hunters that break the doors down. Best idea ever.

Kibbles

Both of them are actually pretty good. I love district, they tore half of it out of the second campaign level, like the courtyard section with the two hunters that break the doors down. Best idea ever.

Actually I have played a game on that map before, I remember that part and the parking structure. I used a wired controller before but that broke so yesterday I ordered that knockoff wireless sync posted here. It should be here on Friday, I'll be on H2V then.

Computron

How is the DRM for H2? Can I just bring the disk to my university and pop in and play?

You still have to install it IIRC, so you're not going to be able to use it like a portable (in the software sense of the word) game. Tray and play allows you to play it immediately after you put it in your system while you install it in the background though.

Computron

Actually I have played a game on that map before, I remember that part and the parking structure. I used a wired controller before but that broke so yesterday I ordered that knockoff wireless sync posted here. It should be here on Friday, I'll be on H2V then.

what knockoff? Thats an official Microsoft accessory.

Is there any way to make halo 2 vista work on xp? I would love to play it but don't want to upgrade my windows to do so i have another hard drive with vista so if I can find that I'll join in but it would be great to get the game working on xp

Edit; pretty jelous of people playing h4 already we need to watch out for frankies music and it use it As clues to find him it's an arg lol :p

daedalius

I will not buy this game if the DMR isn't better than the BR in every single way. No reason why the DMR should not br as good as the BR in mid range combat.

Well, you're out of luck.

They've said the DMR will win out at long range but will lose to the BR at mid-range. Weapons are balanced against each other at effective ranges. Although that's not to say a better player couldn't beat a BR user at mid-range with a DMR.

Halo 2 Vista doesnt work on Windows 8 preview. Now I cant even play next week :/

Try running it in compatibility modes?

Untitled-35.png

There has been very little talk about the pistol for halo4. I'm very interested in hearing more info on it. The pistol in Reach would have been an excellent alternative or at least a perfectly viable alternative to the DMR, and AR for that matter, if it had only been given a larger clip. So i'm really hoping that the pistol isn't a pile of crap come November. Thoughts?

zap

There has been very little talk about the pistol for halo4. I'm very interested in hearing more info on it. The pistol in Reach would have been an excellent alternative or at least a perfectly viable alternative to the DMR, and AR for that matter, if it had only been given a larger clip. So i'm really hoping that the pistol isn't a pile of crap come November. Thoughts?

We can choose our weapons. BR or DMR (or both?) means no-one is too worried.

is it really too much to ask for teammates who don't go negative? Is knowing how to shoot someone in this game really that rare of a quality? good lord.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You mean the pistols?

BELIEVE.

Curious to see what they do with it. Considering that will be picking our weapons, and DMR and BR are in the game, I'm assuming the Pistol is a secondary weapon. If it is, it will be interesting to see how they differentiate it from the DMR/BR besides just being shittier, and if it isn't a secondary, but a primary loadout weapon, then it will be very interesting to see what they've done with it.

We can choose our weapons. BR or DMR (or both?) means no-one is too worried.
I'm not really worried about the BR or the DMR. If 343 wants there to be no single dominant weapon, I think they will at least try to make the pistol halfway decent. But I just like the pistol as a weapon in general. Gunslinging is the best. So as long as it's not completely gimped, I'm sure I'll be using it a lot.
You mean the pistols?

BELIEVE.
Haha. I don't mind dual-wielding, but it would mean the pistol by itself isn't very strong. That would make me sad. [EDIT] Just saw you clarify your post. Good call. I'd love to see more than one version, personally.
Curious to see what they do with it. Considering that will be picking our weapons, and DMR and BR are in the game, I'm assuming the Pistol is a secondary weapon. If it is, it will be interesting to see how they differentiate it from the DMR/BR besides just being shittier, and if it isn't a secondary, but a primary loadout weapon, then it will be very interesting to see what they've done with it.
I can see it being more effective at close range, and adequate at medium range assuming the wielder has a little bit of skill. As much as I'd love to see it beefed up enough to serve as a primary weapon, I'm guessing 343 won't do that. So then it will probably come down to how much range they want it to have and how powerful they want it to be at close to medium range. As long as it can counter the AR, I suppose I can live with that.

blamite

Just noticed the new UNSC logo from that Infinity concept art is on the side of the DMR. I kind of hope that's not final, we've gotten so used to the current logo over the years, and it seems like a strange thing to change just for the sake of changing it.

zap

Just decided to pop Halo 2 PC in, get on a server with the Suddoth kids (if it's them - SUDDOTH 1 and SUDDOTH 2?) haha.

But damn, I forgot how good Halo 2 felt (even with a bad connection).

Gui_PT

Guys I just woke up only to find out Frankie is in bed with me, wearing nothing but a kilt and a disc of Halo 4 hidden in it

I have a feeling this is going to be the best day ever

kylej

Banned
The DMR in Reach is glorious. bad BTB babies who occasionally get wrecked on big maps cry about it, but it's so nice having a weapon that can nail people at longer distances. The H3 BR tapped out at like, 15 feet. Not surprised to hear H4 DMR > BR.

Now bring that setup to Boston so I can try it out plz.

Great update it seems for those who still play Reach regularly, especially the Firefight players.

It's really not. What have they actually added/changed? More grey maps. Updates to grey maps in BTB. Mutating 'Super Slayer' from its original intention (a TU Team Slayer carbon copy) to a mixed bag of bollocks in which ZB mingles with 85% bloom and more inevitably poor grey maps weigh it down further into poor population. They made the MM changes look substantial by giving a sub heading to each minor change but hardly anything was altered for the better. The Objective voting slot change was the one sliver of sensible, logical playlist management.

But... most importantly...

SQUAD DLC REMAINS VANILLA!!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

1333865475681.gif

Woorloog

Banned
Whoah whoa, Halo 2 play day? What's CST in UTC/GMT? I have a bad feeling i would have to be awake at night... awake part is not that hard, not making sound and playing a game is...

Double the normal win bonus is still a minuscule fraction of the game complete and random bonus credits in the game.
With this change, it's 40% of the game complete payout.

With quick matching, it's still more lucrative to finish games quickly, but in no less than 90 seconds (the time required to get a slot payout).

People that farm kills in TO are still going to continue that behavior with this change, and they'll walk away with more cR as an additional reward. Even if you devised a system that could detect a significantly superior team purposely delaying the game for the purpose of farming kills and awarded them 0 cR as a result, they'd still do it because their primary incentive is raising their kill/death ratio.

Track objective stats apart from overall stats, and omit kill/death statistics in lieu of objective-centered statistics and you remove this carrot that is encouraging poor sportsmanship. Hey, that applies to Grifball as well...

Top Bottom