• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

vehn

Zzoram said:
Do you need the monk's head wrap for any trophies?

no, but it's 30% more magic damage when you have it (although it's also hard as shit to see things in front of you when you have it on).

Raziel

logged about 500 hrs in the game, finally had this happen

photo0685800x600.jpg

Facism

raziel said:
im the blue w/ the axe but yeah :p still waiting for the 2 invader glitch :lol

i had that the other day when influencing my ct to pure white.

me and the meatbag dealt with them, though.

BrettWeir

Was an idiot and traded this in quite some time ago. Found myself wanting to play it again.

Although it doesn't happen much.........Thank you Gamestop for Buy 2 Get 1 free, DS was free to get back.

Finally learning how to play the darn thing. Actually having a blast with it now. Not so much my 1st go around many months ago.

So.... Thinking about buying this one.

I've heard so much about it and figure I should check it out.

Any tips for a newbie?

Best class to pick? Must find rings? play on your own path or follow story?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
MidnightRider said:
So.... Thinking about buying this one.

I've heard so much about it and figure I should check it out.

Any tips for a newbie?

Best class to pick? Must find rings? play on your own path or follow story?

Royal is the easiest starting class. Get the cling ring straightaway.

MAKE SURE YOU FINE THE THIEF'S RING APPARENTLY IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT.

My favorite ring is the ring of great strength because it allows you to wear decent armor while maintaining high agility. If the items you have equipped weigh more than half of you maximum equipment allowance, your movement will be slowed. If you are less than half, you'll move at full speed. The ring raises max equip by a shitload... so you can get away with moderately heavy armor + weapons and still move like a cat.

Also... world tendency is really complicated don't listen to any of the know-it-alls on this forum who say it's easy. They have played hundreds and hundreds of hours of Demon's Souls and long since lost the noob's perspective.

Canova

Banned
recklessmind said:
Royal is the easiest starting class. Get the cling ring straightaway.

MAKE SURE YOU FINE THE THIEF'S RING APPARENTLY IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT.

I know you're being sarcastic :lol , but yeah thief ring is very important

Canova

Banned
MidnightRider said:
Sounds good! Thanks bud!

Any links I should check out builds?

For a newbie/first-timer, it's better off if you don't go by build guides, it would ruin the game.

Play as you like, then for 2nd and 3rd character, then you go for the specific or focus builds

EDIT: oooh, I got post #666

LiK

canova said:
For a newbie/first-timer, it's better off if you don't go by build guides, it would ruin the game.

Play as you like, then for 2nd and 3rd character, then you go for the specific or focus builds
Yep, experiment and if you don't like it, start a new character.

canova said:

EDIT: oooh, I got post #666

What does the theif ring do.

If I didn't like Dragon Age for it being to slow will I not like this game?

I never really get "into" these types of games unless they are just ungodly fun.

LiK

MidnightRider said:

I never really get "into" these types of games unless they are just ungodly fun.
Make you harder to detect. Quite a lifesaver.

Evolved1

MidnightRider said:
Sounds good! Thanks bud!

Any links I should check out builds?

Yeah, the wiki tells you everything.

My only real advice to you is this: don't ever consume your demon's souls (the one's you get from bosses) because you'll need them for better spells/weapons later in the game. Don't ever attack NPC's unless you know what you're doing and understand the repercussions, I mean you can kill people in the nexus, vendors, others during the game if that's how you want to do it... just know that sometimes there are consequences that will have affects on even later playthroughs. But then sometimes you can get awesome armor and shit... so if your aren't the gambling type I'd say check the wiki about NPC's you should kill/avoid.

recklessmind said:
Yeah, the wiki tells you everything.

My only real advice to you is this: don't ever consume your demon's souls (the one's you get from bosses) because you'll need them for better spells/weapons later in the game. Don't ever attack NPC's unless you know what you're doing and understand the repercussions, I mean you can kill people in the nexus, vendors, others during the game if that's how you want to do it... just know that sometimes there are consequences that will have affects on even later playthroughs. But then sometimes you can get awesome armor and shit... so if your aren't the gambling type I'd say check the wiki about NPC's you should kill/avoid.
NPC ??????? stands for?

Evolved1

MidnightRider said:
okay all in all which is the "best" character to build?

warrior?

I think melee is the most fun and has the most room for customization/style because of all the different weapon types. But in pvp magic users own me. So right now I'm trying to convert my strong melee character into a melee-magic hybrid. In the beginning I think melee will get you through most encounters. Play for 10 -15 soul levels until you find what you like.

I've heard a lot of people say don't spend soul upgrading your luck... I've taken that advice for the most part. Not sure what the forum consensus is on that though.

MidnightRider said:
NPC ??????? stands for?

Non Player Character

Man, you don't play many RPG's do you? :lol

It's any computer controlled character that (in this context) isn't a clearly defined enemy trying to kill you. NPC's in demon's souls are the ones that talk to you, help you, or sell you shit.

LiK

MidnightRider said:
okay all in all which is the "best" character to build?

warrior?
No best character, sorry! That's what makes it great. But you should avoid the Thief cuz its not a noob friendly class. If you really want a recommendation, try the Knight or Temple Knight.

Evolved1

Also the game doesn't make this very clear... but you have to beat the 1-1 boss before you can actually level your character beyond its starting soul lvl.

So you're stuck with the stats you have until you beat that boss and return to the nexus. (note: you can find new armor and upgrade weapons before leveling though)

Canova

Banned
MidnightRider said:

Don't ever compare Demon's Souls to Dragon Age :lol

Dragon Age = slow with turn-based combat

Demon's Souls = strategic, real-time, tight & precise combat, un-compromised, challenging it's so challenging that it will kick your butt, and that's a promise

oracrest

Halloween just around the corner :)

fb11f.jpg

I think I managed to get all the 'major' things accomplished while the tendencies were full white. Plowed through world 5 on the last day to get Bramd from the end of that world.

I have Halo: Reach, and Castlevania both sitting neglected while I do this second playthrough of DS :D

The multiplayer really is fun, I am just getting into it heavily on the second playthrough.
Garl Vinland, and the boss after Leechmonger I remain undefeated on.

Zzoram

The only thing noobs need to know is to sheath your sword in Nexus, or plain unequip it. If you accidentally attack the NPCs you have to start a new character otherwise every time you go to town they'll attck you instead of offering essential services.

LiK

Zzoram said:
The only thing noobs need to know is to sheath your sword in Nexus, or plain unequip it. If you accidentally attack the NPCs you have to start a new character otherwise every time you go to town they'll attck you instead of offering essential services.
Hitting them once wont trigger hostility. Takes 3 hits I think from my encounter with Yurt. I accidently rolled into a NPC once but he didn't go hostile thankfully.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Zzoram said:
I still think you shouldnt be allowed to accidentally aggro an essential NPC. It's unnecessarily punishing.

It takes multiple hits, not just one. You have to either be an idiot or purposely attack them for them to fuck you up.

Melfice7

so i cant write/see messages, or summon/be summoned and yes im playing online and even was co-oping with a friend earlier

this happened to anyone else? i had no probs with the US version, playing EU now

Syril

Zzoram said:
I still think you shouldnt be allowed to accidentally aggro an essential NPC. It's unnecessarily punishing.

To be fair, don't they drop equipment that you could use? You could get some use out of it if you were about to beat the game and start the next play.

Zzoram

LiK said:
that's why we love the game!
I like the punishing gameplay. I think being able to aggro NPCs is stupid because it breaks the game. If you die in a level you can always redo it. If you aggro the maiden you can never level up or get the end sequence of the game.

two questions since i'm back in this game with the WT events going down:

-can you have white character tendency even if everything is PBWT? (as it will be starting tomorrow)
-does character tendency carry through playthroughs?

the idea here is that i didn't really bother with it but with PBWT i'll have a few BPs to take care of and slide my CT toward white so i can work on getting the friend's ring.

Kccitystar

OK, so 14 pages into this thread, I think I made a good choice in picking a mage character, as I'm playing the game as a Royal. I didn't want to pick an all average person and I didn't want to have my character be a melee specialty either.

Is there any definitive route to take? I already beat the Phalanx boss, but after that......I went into world 2-1 to get up to the spider boss but I have yet to step through the fog to fight him because I'm not yet sure if I should and risk losing all my souls.

I tried going to world 4-1 to obtain the Disc One Nuke (Crescent Falchion) and these knight looking guys rape me every single time by rolling and stabbing my face off.

What do I do after the Phalanx boss, guys?

Zzoram

The world an character tendency stuff was intimidating for me and still is. That's the one area I remain afraid of doing because it seems to be hard and requires a guide.

Zzoram

Kccitystar said:
OK, so 14 pages into this thread, I think I made a good choice in picking a mage character, as I'm playing the game as a Royal. I didn't want to pick an all average person and I didn't want to have my character be a melee specialty either.

Is there any definitive route to take? I already beat the Phalanx boss, but after that......I went into world 2-1 to get up to the spider boss but I have yet to step through the fog to fight him because I'm not yet sure if I should and risk losing all my souls.

I tried going to world 4-1 to obtain the Disc One Nuke (Crescent Falchion) and these knight looking guys rape me every single time by rolling and stabbing my face off.

What do I do after the Phalanx boss, guys?
I did 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 3-2, 4-1, 2-3 then traded in the game because I piled up a huge backlog and got extra busy with school. I suggest you do the order I did.

Im probably buying the game again this Christmas when I have some time to play.

WanderingWind

Okay, so in keeping with my previous post, I am a level 59 Wanderer. Unfortunately, I've killed most of the bosses and forgot a ton of stuff along the way. Is there a way to start a new character so that I can go back through the bosses and whatnot, without starting from nothing again?

Zzoram

WanderingWind said:
Okay, so in keeping with my previous post, I am a level 59 Wanderer. Unfortunately, I've killed most of the bosses and forgot a ton of stuff along the way. Is there a way to start a new character so that I can go back through the bosses and whatnot, without starting from nothing again?
Just beat the game and carry the character into a new game+. You will have the character with his level and gear starting a new game with monsters 50% stronger.

Canova

Banned
semiconscious said:
loved the speed run :) - thanks...

& i strongly encourage anyone who hasn't yet to set up a japanese psn account, buy a $20 japanese psn (from, for example, this dude), & get yourself the demon's souls dynamic theme - makes me smile every time i turn my ps3 on :) ...

I have Demon's Souls static background on my PS3 right now. It shows Vanguard fighting Biorr and a blue phantom

just go to NG+, you will keep every single thing except keys.

and yeah NG+ is much harder

WanderingWind

Zzoram said:
Just beat the game and carry the character into a new game+. You will have the character with his level and gear starting a new game with monsters 50% stronger.

Cool, thanks.

Top Bottom