• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable 2 secrets: a pet dog, you can be pregnant

From GamePro

GDC: Peter Molyneux Unveils Fable 2 Secret: dog sidekick

An A.I. dog partner, marriage with children, and "love" are three key ingredients to upcoming Xbox 360 RPG Fable 2.

Just minutes ago, Peter Molyneux gave one of his first presentations of the day concerning Fable 2, and he showed off a collection of new features that were originally intended to appear in the much-hyped first Fable game.

Molyneux described the first new feature as "risky, but worth the risk. A new canine sidekick will help players distract or threaten enemies, scout out new locations, and find hidden items. Molyneux described the feature as "something you've never seen before," especially in regards to the dog's intelligence. The dog will respond to your standard "yes" and "no" expressions, but is otherwise a completely independent character....aside from the fact that it will do nearly anything to help its master.

The dog will grow to adopt its master's traits, so a wicked hero will see his dog evolve into a Doberman pincher-like beast, while good-natured heros will boast furry, friendly pooches.

The dog will open up a key aspect of Fable 2: emotion. And, more specifically, love. Molyneux laughed as he described the importance of love in Fable 2, saying that reporters would be liable to call him crazy for his claim. But he insisted that the dog sidekick would open up all-new avenues of game design because it would make players forge an emotional bond with a fictional character. Molyneux described the dog's love as "infectious" in nature: "Once you start caring about [the dog," Molyeux explained, "I've got you." Molyneux explained that the dog would factor heavily into the gameplay in almost every way. At one point, the dog was injured during a battle and limped slowly back to its master. Molyneux, however, commanded his hero to leave the dog where it was, adding that the injured dog would slowly limp back to its home even if abandoned.

Another key feature has been added to Fable 2: sex. As before, players can find mates (and yes, same-sex marriage is still firmly in the game). But in a new twist, players can choose to have sex with a mate...and more interestingly, can choose to engage in protected or unprotected sex. The latter option can result in a pregnancy, even for the main character (females are a new option for hero characters). Once born, your offspring will bear a physical resemblance to your hero, and will celebrate your victories when you come by the homestead to visit the family.

What won't be in Fable 2? Miscarriages (Fable 2 "isn't a pregnancy simulation," Molyneux added), high-maintenance sidekicks (the dog "musn't p*ss players off"), and the mini-map from the first game (which Molyneux bemoaned as stealing all the attention from the graphics).

Molyneux shot down theories that Fable 2 would appear in 2007, though, meaning that 2008 is the most likely launch date for the game.

Overall, the graphics in the ultra-early build looked impressive but clearly unfinished. The dog was the most graphically detailed object on display, and featured advanced fur simulation, interpolated animation (which made for highly realistic movements), and massive outdoor environments.

Muppet345

So it begins. Again.

Why does this guy hype completely random features that usually don't make it into the final game, or get downgraded?

A sidekick dog??

shadow-dancer-1.jpg

That whole thing sounded awesome :D

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Kevar said:
So it begins. Again.

Why does this guy hype completely random features that usually don't make it into the final game, or get downgraded?

how else are we supposed to be interested in the game? who cares what's in the final game as long as we know about all the cool ass things that could have been in it so that we can anticipate it for the next sequel?

:p

Wollan

:lol

Wasn't that exactly what people were guessing?
Not saying it's not a cool feature at all but kinda funny.

Edit: Black and White finally becoming practical? I'm such a Lionhead whore (as well as a Halo Wars whore. I'm so against the stream of X360 owners).

Krowley

This is classic Molyneux :lol

But don't forget... Every once in a while, he actually delivers a great game... Maybe this time he'll nail it with fable.

mollipen

Thankfully, I never much cared nor paid attention to the first, so I can be interested without thinking "I've heard these promises before."

Oh, and I can be a female character who can have sex? Slutty paladin, here I come!!

xaosslug

Another key feature has been added to Fable 2: sex. As before, players can find mates (and yes, same-sex marriage is still firmly in the game). But in a new twist, players can choose to have sex with a mate...and more interestingly, can choose to engage in protected or unprotected sex. The latter option can result in a pregnancy, even for the main character (females are a new option for hero characters).

Jack Thompson will NOT be pleased by this news.

One thing that GamePro didn't write down but Molyneux talked about is that the Dog will act as the games'HUD: there will be no on-screen map or other indicators, and every information will come from the dog behaviour. Quite strange, I'm not so convinced it would work, expecially for the map.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What KIND of sex can I have? Can I have sex with more than one person at a time? How about with toasters?

See, Molyneux, it is your lack of foresight that will eventually be your downfall. And your cab-stealing ways, you bitch.

Krowley

Spider_Jerusalem said:
One thing that GamePro didn't write down but Molyneux talked about is that the Dog will act as the games'HUD: there will be no on-screen map or other indicators, and every information will come from the dog behaviour. Quite strange, I'm not so convinced it would work, expecially for the map.

how the hell is that gonna work... I think my brain is too small to comprehend. Does the dog whine when you're injured maybe? Functioning as a map? wtf

adg1034

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Jesus Christ, Molyneux.

*sigh*

You guys made this mistake the last time he spoke. I understand it's easy to confuse the two of them, but at least make an effort, people! They are not one and the same. Molyneux's bald, for one thing.

Damn kids...

J-Rzez

I really can't wait to see if he fleshes out his ideas more so this round... The dog thing is frikin' awesome! Strangely, I can see myself getting attached to it in the game... Wonder if it still measures how far you kick a chicken? It was also funny hearing the beggers and such yelling, "that my man!" after you decapitate a bandit, just to watch him later get trashed by a huge rock-troll thing... And, hope the voice commands are still there, like the swear feature... I laughed everytime I made my guy say "Shit" infront of the school kids and they reacted to it in a scared/shameful manner... heh...

I can't wait for this game... ashame it's so far off... Hope it's worth the wait!

OatmealMu

Krowley said:

how the hell is that gonna work... I think my brain is too small to comprehend. Does the dog whine when you're injured maybe? Functioning as a map? wtf

Your health is displayed by the number of corn kernels in the dog's... well, you know.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
WAIT. The DOG is the HUD? BWAHAHAHAHA :lol :lol :lol

Like he starts to whimper when you get hurt? And does he get all angry when a lady turns you down? Does he get fat when you're pregnant?

Bwahahaha

I mean, it's a great idea if emotion is what he's going for. It's not anything new. Agro and Wander in SotC proved that you can get SERIOUSLY connected to your animal sidekick...and man, horse > dog.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Achievements are set up in this game.

Surpass Wilt Chamberlain's record: 20 points
Slay Dragon while going into labor: 20 points
Teach your dog to eat babies: 20 points

The possibilities are simply mind-boggling. :D

xaosslug

BobFromPikeCreek said:
A dog and pregnancy? How underwhelming.

but what it doesn't say it that you can kill the dog, or the baby, or your pregger wife if you so choose. THIS SHIT'S HARDCORE BANANAS, YO!

*shrug*

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Another key feature has been added to Fable 2: sex. As before, players can find mates (and yes, same-sex marriage is still firmly in the game). But in a new twist, players can choose to have sex with a mate...and more interestingly, can choose to engage in protected or unprotected sex. The latter option can result in a pregnancy, even for the main character (females are a new option for hero characters). Once born, your offspring will bear a physical resemblance to your hero, and will celebrate your victories when you come by the homestead to visit the family.

Fable 2: Sex Training Edition.

Bildi

A new canine sidekick will help players distract or threaten enemies, scout out new locations, and find hidden items. Molyneux described the feature as "something you've never seen before,"

Princetricky1.jpg

Owzers

Dog part sounds great, children part...not so much, and mainly because he didn't talk about anything the children can do which makes me think they will be lifeless human trophies that just stare at you when you walk past them.

Krowley

sillymonkey321 said:
Dog part sounds great, children part...not so much, and mainly because he didn't talk about anything the children can do which makes me think they will be lifeless human trophies that just stare at you when you walk past them.

Probably the best way to handle them is to let you take them over and control them, let the main character have a life cycle, and then let the children inherit some of his skills and equipment.

Wollan

I think a lot of people who think of Halo ai as the crown achievement are going to be surprised by this if Lionhead put as much thought into that dog as they did with the B&W pets. So many cool random happenings that have a reason behind them.

Nameless

WTF happened to all those awesome ideas that he had when he was pimping out "project ego"? I want emergent storylines, FOR GOD'S SAKE I WANT TO GROW MY ****ING TREE! I don't care about building some psuedo emotional bond with a dog. And and unless your character eventually dies and you assume control of one of his children and play through dynamic occurances then screw the ability to have kids.. Been there done than in the Sims.

Top Bottom