• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP's latest podcast: The Sound Test (w/ Ray Barnholt)

Guv_Bubbs

Banned
Gomu Gomu said:
OH MY GOD A PODCAST ABOUT VIDEO GAME MUSIC!!!???

er07dz.jpg
Love it =D

bathala

Banned
Time to eat crow. I mocked this podcast early on (see above post). Finally, listened to it. "here's final fantasy 13" i was WHOA! here's odst - blown away.

Will keep listening as long as the selections r good.

lljride

Good timing on a new podcast, currently grinding in FFXIII. I like Ray a lot and it seems like they're pushing him to do more things within 1up which is awesome (didn't he basically take Jeremy's lead position on one of the recent Retronauts?).

GhaleonQ

lljride said:
(didn't he basically take Jeremy's lead position on one of the recent Retronauts?).

Jeremy mentioned that Ray really loves Data East and that the show was delayed multiple times (i.e., not because Jeremy's doing the Friday show).

GhaleonQ said:
Jeremy mentioned that Rat really loves Data East and that the show was delayed multiple times (i.e., not because Jeremy's doing the Friday show).

Watch Jeremy get the friday show and get hired by a dev a few months later:lol I hope Capcom gets him so he can find Fishman.

I would have called it BGM. I have no idea what it meant when I was a kid (I assumed "Big Game Music"). It was in all up the menus of my favorite games and it played music when I selected it.

Gilgamesh

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I downloaded the Magic Obelisk soundtrack since it was free and it's really good.

GhaleonQ

Gilgamesh said:
I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I downloaded the Magic Obelisk soundtrack since it was free and it's really good.

Definitely. Game Arts has great taste.

robut said:
Watch Jeremy get the friday show and get hired by a dev a few months later:lol I hope Capcom gets him so he can find Fishman.

Seriously, the last time a Japanophile left was, who, Fitch and Bettenhausen? I'm pretty sure 1-Up's going to switch over to import reviews full-time.

Just finally got around to listening. I already love this podcast.

It's like listening to the radio, almost. In a good way. Ray puts on a very good "easy listening DJ" sort of voice for the whole thing that I absolutely love.

I will not miss an episode.

eznark

Banned
I kind of thought this would be an awesome idea a few years ago when Levi Buchanan did a similar thing at IGN. It was not for me.

I'll give this a listen because of Barnholt though (didn't see this thread the first time around)

Druz

This podcast doesn't need to exist. Paste all of the songs you spam to a page with a download link.

*depressing voice*

"Hi this is ahh.. Ray Barnholdt and ahh.. if you like gaming music like I like gaming music you're ahh, in for quite a treat"

I really enjoyed it since its always nice to discover new game music. After listening I picked up the ODST soundtrack and I fell in love with it. :D

Shadow780

YES!

Been wanting a VGmusic podcast since Into the Score haven't updated for months :(

If anyone's interested, I think Into the Score is one of the best podcasts out there, the host really knows his stuff and it was very enjoyable. Give it a listen you will not be disappointed.

Ryu

Subscribed. Excellent podcast. Please make these podcasts at least an hour in length though. 24 minutes is just too little imo. :(

Gomu Gomu

Kinda lttp. LOVED the show really. The only thing I'd like to say is please make it longer. I wouldn't hurt anyone if you put two or more tracks of one game. 30 minutes a week is way too short imo. And the best thing about making a music podcast longer, is that you put virtually no effort in doing so. All you have to do is put more than one track a game.

Also, on an unrelated note, I remember seeing the video clip for that Bomberman song from the end of the 1st episode on youtube. However, I can't find it anywhere. Can someone help me?

V_Ben

Banned
Shadow780 said:
YES!

Been wanting a VGmusic podcast since Into the Score haven't updated for months :(

If anyone's interested, I think Into the Score is one of the best podcasts out there, the host really knows his stuff and it was very enjoyable. Give it a listen you will not be disappointed.
Agreed, it's amazing. Just so informative, guy really knows his stuff.

GhaleonQ

9/10 for this show's choices. Is it heresy to think Yoshi's Island's is not an all-time contender and enjoy the Map evolution as much as any other track? Machinarium, Katamari Forever, all great.

Sorry to post competition, but now he's against VGMDb's as well as Original Sound Version's (which launched this week). I bet people can enjoy them all, though.

Apologies if I get anyone's hopes up by bumping this thread. But I thought it'd be a good place to share this.

I do a podcast for XBLAFans, and for a while I've been planning to do a music special. I finally managed to get it together and it's heavily inspired by The Sound Test in terms of format.

I'm no where near as charming as Mr Barnholt when it comes to hosting. But if you think of if you think of it as an XBLA special hosted by his idiot cousin from Scotland I think you'll be able to appreciate it.

So please give it a listen and let me know what you think. Thanks.

Direct link to the MP3.

Gomu Gomu

Apologies if I get anyone's hopes up by bumping this thread. But I thought it'd be a good place to share this.

I do a podcast for XBLAFans, and for a while I've been planning to do a music special. I finally managed to get it together and it's heavily inspired by The Sound Test in terms of format.

I'm no where near as charming as Mr Barnholt when it comes to hosting. But if you think of if you think of it as an XBLA special hosted by his idiot cousin from Scotland I think you'll be able to appreciate it.

So please give it a listen and let me know what you think. Thanks.

Direct link to the MP3.
I haven't listened to your podcast, but congrats on hitting the big five-O.
3AQmK.gif
Gonna give this one a listen, though.

Also, god damn I miss the sound test so much.

Top Bottom