• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Wollan

Defeated the first boss the Old Hunters DLC with the help from fellow hunters I must admit. I like that
Ludwig uses the Moonlight sword of King's Field fame!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Question regarding Chalice Dungeons... How can I see, which Dungeons I have currently in use? I have made a checklist, which ones I need to go to Yharnam, since I only want to get straight to her and dont want to make additional chalices.

do chalice dungeons stay exactly the same when you enter ng+? like, they don't reset or scale, do they?

They scale up to NG+2

cj_iwakura

Question regarding Chalice Dungeons... How can I see, which Dungeons I have currently in use? I have made a checklist, which ones I need to go to Yharnam, since I only want to get straight to her and dont want to make additional chalices.

They scale up to NG+2
Just make them in order from left to right.

They scale up to NG+2

are you sure? i just googled it and everyone says they don't

Ydelnae

I just can't beat the last DLC boss, that was my 46th try and even if I make it past it's first form, the second one is just impossible to me.

I just can't beat the last DLC boss, that was my 46th try and even if I make it past it's first form, the second one is just impossible to me.

Attack him , dont be afraid , use his pink placenta weapon as a reference to attack that side, you can stun him more and his hits normally wont one shot you

cj_iwakura

Got 'em.

C7UxYMBVoAAr5nT.jpg

I didn't realise how short this game was. I'm only 26 hours in, and I'm already at the final boss. I still need to explore the Upper Cathedral Ward and deal with the
Brain
, as well as go through the DLC, but this seems like one of the shortest games in the series.

Milijango

I didn't realise how short this game was. I'm only 26 hours in, and I'm already at the final boss. I still need to explore the Upper Cathedral Ward and deal with the
Brain
, as well as go through the DLC, but this seems like one of the shortest games in the series.

Other than Demon's Souls it probably is.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Brain

Did you do all the optional areas like Nightmare Frontier, Cainhurst Castle? Any Chalice Dungeon? DLC?

It's probably one of the shortest ones in the series sure, but 26h in having done all that except Upper Cathedral Ward seems like you must have either missed on lots of stuff or really rushed.

Melchiah

Did you do all the optional areas like Nightmare Frontier, Cainhurst Castle? Any Chalice Dungeon? DLC?

It's probably one of the shortest ones in the series sure, but 26h in having done all that except Upper Cathedral Ward seems like you must have either missed on lots of stuff or really rushed.

Yeah, my first playthrough took about 80 hours, with all the optional areas but chalices included. That's about the same as DS3 took for me.

I've done all the optional areas aside from the Upper Cathedral Ward, and for the Chalice Dungeon I've not really touched it. I did the first two bosses, so the giant and those three guys, got to a floor that looked like the entrance to Blighttown from the Depths, and decided to carry on with the main game. I've also not touched the DLC yet, but I'm waiting until I've done everything apart from fight the last boss. The only area I've really skipped are the two poison swamps. I've been through them both, but I've not gone through all the little side paths and whatnot.

I don't think I've been rushing, and I'd been spending a while before Vicar Amelia on that bridge near Cleric Beast grinding for vials.

Another big thing is that I've not really reached any boss that's been a roadblock for me. Amelia and
Logarius
are the only ones who've really given me trouble, but I could carry on and do other things, so my progress wasn't getting halted at any point. Also, aside from DS2, I always play a Dex build with as minimal shield use as possible in Souls games, so the dodge heavy, fast paced combat of this is a match made in heaven for me.

I'm loving the game however, I just expected the main content to be longer.

Ydelnae

Finally killed the Orphan and finished the actual game.
Had no idea that you HAD to use the umbilical cords. I got all of them and didn't use them assuming that they needed to be in my inventory. Fuck.

The ending sure was something. I want to replay the game as soon as I can, loved it.
TW3 is still my 2015 GOTY though

Finally killed the Orphan and finished the actual game.
Had no idea that you HAD to use the umbilical cords. I got all of them and didn't use them assuming that they needed to be in my inventory. Fuck.

The ending sure was something. I want to replay the game as soon as I can, loved it.
TW3 is still my 2015 GOTY though

Oh, you killed Larry and Orphan shadow too?

Manu

Weeks later, different ISP, still can't coop with a friend using a password. Different NGs and levels but passwords should supposedly bypass all that. No dice.

I'm so pissed at this game's stupid online.

BHK3

Banned
Weeks later, different ISP, still can't coop with a friend using a password. Different NGs and levels but passwords should supposedly bypass all that. No dice.

I'm so pissed at this game's stupid online.

Been this way since demons souls, japan will never have good online for its games outside of its own region.

BHK3

Banned
BlazBlue's always had good online.

This is true, too bad nobody plays them ;_;

I have no idea how so many people have this platinum, this chalice dungeon nonsense is the most frustrating shit ever. Dogs that don't get staggered, infinite red spiders, fireballs that 1 shot, and there's just so much materials for the dungeons that every single chest just gives me supplies instead of anything cool. The wiki told me there was different weapons, runes, and whatnot, haven't gotten shit outside of the beast hand. Not even any good gems, I've been using the same 3 gems since like Rom or something. No incentive to explore outside of just farming souls and for completions sake.

Also hate the invisible restrictions the game still has, always been a problem with the souls games but it took a few steps forward by making all stats visible and nothing invisible that requires googling.I found out the hard way that I can't make my Burial Blade fire or electric...WHY. Fighting a boss and I'm just scratching my ass trying to element my weapon. Really considering just going back to the ludwig blade, that's longer and faster. Is the Chikage any good if I never EVER go into the weapons 2nd form? Heavy attacks do like 10 more damage and are way slower so I never press any button thats not R1 outside of sneak staggering.

I was really liking the dungeons too, lots of enemies that aren't in the main game, some really cool dungeon designs but enemies that aggro 500ft through walls and some enemies just taking 10 minutes to kill just to piss you off has really turned me off. Got stuck on the abhorrent beast because I never fought him 'properly' in the main game and it reminded me of the shitty parts of dark souls 2, where you have to pray he uses only 2 moves so you can win. Video guides to the bosses are the same way, they never use their big scary AOE attacks or rush the player. Right now I'm stuck on the big boss in the Defiled chalice dungeon, even though I had two guys with me these bosses just have so much health...I get clipped once and it's over.

Sarcasm

Cousin lent me his ps4 and BB. Are there any achievements that can be missed in one playthrough?

Can you get most in one or two runs?

If there are multiple ending achievements how do I do the reload trick?

Melchiah

I have no idea how so many people have this platinum, this chalice dungeon nonsense is the most frustrating shit ever. Dogs that don't get staggered, infinite red spiders, fireballs that 1 shot, and there's just so much materials for the dungeons that every single chest just gives me supplies instead of anything cool. The wiki told me there was different weapons, runes, and whatnot, haven't gotten shit outside of the beast hand. Not even any good gems, I've been using the same 3 gems since like Rom or something. No incentive to explore outside of just farming souls and for completions sake.

Good gems can be found in layer 5 chalices, and the best in layer 5 root chalices with all the curses in place. Ailing Loran, where you found Beast Claw, is layer 4. I take it you didn't get the +18% physical attack gems from the Winter Lanterns in Nightmare of Mensis, if you've used the same gems since Rom? You can also get +22.3% physical attack gems from the same enemies before the last DLC boss.

If you don't enjoy the challenge the chalices provide, there isn't much reason to play them. The red spiders are a pain in the ass, but everything can be overcome with patience (and panicked running). Hell, even I managed to clear all of them, and Bloodborne was my first Souls game.

I have no idea how so many people have this platinum, this chalice dungeon nonsense is the most frustrating shit ever. Dogs that don't get staggered, infinite red spiders, fireballs that 1 shot, and there's just so much materials for the dungeons that every single chest just gives me supplies instead of anything cool.
They do feel like a grind at first, if you just want to get the end boss, look up the quickest route because there are a lot of extra dungeons not needed (some cool ones too though).

The dogs that don't get staggered, the red eyed ones? They will instantly flop over if you shoot them, so try getting in a few hits and then a gun shot.

Infinite red spiders? I suspect you already know the Bell Maidens are the source of them. I will say, I've died a few times losing a lot of souls just idle at the lamp and spiders find you as soon as you respawn in the dungeon which is kind of BS if they're on the other side of it, but themoreyouknow.jpg

Fireballs that 1 shot? The flower head things from Bergenwerth? Dodge the telegraphed as hell fireballs and shoot their head, don't bother with melee at the body. These are one of my favourite enemies from the dungeon, it feels bad ass dodging the fireballs and shooting the head! Feels almost like a different game since I can't think of any other enemies where the gun is the main damager that way.

Melchiah

Fireballs that 1 shot? The flower head things from Bergenwerth? Dodge the telegraphed as hell fireballs and shoot their head, don't bother with melee at the body. These are one of my favourite enemies from the dungeon, it feels bad ass dodging the fireballs and shooting the head! Feels almost like a different game since I can't think of any other enemies where the gun is the main damager that way.

I imagine the fireballs were a reference to the witches (ie. Labyrinth Ritekeepers) in the chalices, which can be annoying. Especially in the cursed root chalices, where they keep spawning those Mad Ones.

I imagine the fireballs were a reference to the witches (ie. Labyrinth Ritekeepers) in the chalices, which can be annoying. Especially in the cursed root chalices, where they keep spawning those Mad Ones.
Oh right yeah.... Shit they are annoying lol! I've been one shot in the back many a time by them.

Melchiah

Oh right yeah.... Shit they are annoying lol! I've been one shot in the back many a time by them.

When I was getting the +30% Clawmark rune from the Lower Ailing Loran root chalice with my secondary lower level character, I had to make a desperate dash for the chest, as I just couldn't beat the two witches and the constantly spawning Mad Ones. They were a lot faster and harder than in the main game's boss fight.

cj_iwakura

Cousin lent me his ps4 and BB. Are there any achievements that can be missed in one playthrough?

Can you get most in one or two runs?

If there are multiple ending achievements how do I do the reload trick?
Yes, some weapons are dropped by NPCs.
Yes, two.
Back up your data to a flash drive.

horkrux

When I was getting the +30% Clawmark rune from the Lower Ailing Loran root chalice with my secondary lower level character, I had to make a desperate dash for the chest, as I just couldn't beat the two witches and the constantly spawning Mad Ones. They were a lot faster and harder than in the main game's boss fight.

I found out at some point that savequitting and reloading the game despawns all Mad Ones. So... yeah.. that became my preferred way of dealing with witches lol

h0tp0ck3t

Dumb question but how does the glyph searching work? I create a root chalice first and then I can search?

Edit: Specifically I want to put in a glyph for Isz and have the materials but it's saying I don't meet requirements

Nev

Banned
You have to create –not sure if beat too– that type of dungeon before you can retrieve one of the same type from the online pool.

Melchiah

I found out at some point that savequitting and reloading the game despawns all Mad Ones. So... yeah.. that became my preferred way of dealing with witches lol

Heh, that's the first time I hear about the method. Luckily, I only came across with them in a single root chalice.

BHK3

Banned
I don't mind the crystal centipede things, they were in one single layer out of all the dungeons I've been in. Its the little witches and the clothed Oni wizard enemies that are a bother.

I'm doing a cursed phemturn dungeon then I can do the great isz chalice dungeon, least that's what the guide has me doing. What's a root chalice? There's so many variations I can't keep track.

Melchiah

I don't mind the crystal centipede things, they were in one single layer out of all the dungeons I've been in. Its the little witches and the clothed Oni wizard enemies that are a bother.

I'm doing a cursed phemturn dungeon then I can do the great isz chalice dungeon, least that's what the guide has me doing. What's a root chalice? There's so many variations I can't keep track.

Root chalices are randomized versions of them. They're not necessary for reaching the Queen in the Ihyll chalice. You receive the items to open them while you progress through the fixed ones.

Just bought Bloodborne GOTY in the PSN sale. Going in pretty much blind. I did look up some beginner tips. Focus on Vit and End first. Go into Str or Skl when you find a weapon you like.. Most of your damage comes from Gems. I'm going to start with the Hunters Axe and I'll look for the Saw Spear in the sewers somewhere in the beginning area.

That's all I know. Pretty nervous to start but excited at the same time :p Saw some glimpses of bosses in trailers and I'm scared. Going to get my ass beat so bad.

Melchiah

Just bought Bloodborne GOTY in the PSN sale. Going in pretty much blind. I did look up some beginner tips. Focus on Vit and End first. Go into Str or Skl when you find a weapon you like.. Most of your damage comes from Gems. I'm going to start with the Hunters Axe and I'll look for the Saw Spear in the sewers somewhere in the beginning area.

That's all I know. Pretty nervous to start but excited at the same time :p Saw some glimpses of bosses in trailers and I'm scared. Going to get my ass beat so bad.

And weapon upgrades. You can level up your weapon few times before the first boss.

Top Bottom