• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

M.C. Escher and Nintendo DS

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
So, I went to an exhibit with a couple of friends in Shibuya. In Shibuya's Bunkamura, there was an exhibit showing off some of M.C. Escher's works. If you don't know he is, then check out his Wiki page. I pretty much knew him from all the woodcut prints he did, which astounded me when I was a kid.

Any way, when we entered the exhibit, the people at the reception gave us our own NDS Lite with a pair of headphones to go along with the tour.

Basically out of the 60 or so exhibits on display, about 29 of them had NDS accessible content , where a voice over would accompany the picture and give you some information about the piece. Unfortunately it was all in Japanese so I only understood about 50% of it, but it seemed really cool. On top of that, you could click a button and a bigger version of the picture would appear on your DS, and you could actually use the touch screen to look at all the detail in each picture. Really cool thing that they did with the NDS, and I'm sure Nintendo produced the custom software for this too. Now I'm wondering if they do this with all the exhibits at Bunkamura....

Awesome. More of that needs to happen in the US.

edit: Intelligent Systems? Why aren't they working on Paper Mario!!!???

*cracks whip

:p

SumGamer

HAL_Laboratory said:
Awesome. More of that needs to happen in the US.

edit: Intelligent Systems? Why aren't they working on Paper Mario!!!???

*cracks whip

:p

Or Fire Emblem

* help whipping.

Zensetsu

Escher is awesome. I would spend hours as a kid staring at the pictures in a book of his work that my parents owned.

Linkup

Intelligent Systems doesn't usually deal with custom software like this right? Nintendo has been branching out a lot since the DS.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I heard from Hyoushi that this isn't 'the first time that the NDS has been used at Bunkamura galleries, so I'm assuming that Nintendo developed one standard 'exhibit' software for the museum to use, and all the museum has to do is send them the pictures and voiceovers.

swerve

Yamauchi's 'shigureden' museum for the hyakunin isshu poetry uses DSes in a variety of different exhibits, including an interactive giant LCD floor-map of Kyoto (old, and new versions) and a matching game using positioning tech on the custom DS units, where you need to stand on the matching picture to the one showing on your DS screen.

Standing near an exhibit will also have the DS read the relevant poem to you.

http://www.shigureden.com/

Hyoushi

Reno said:
I heard from Hyoushi that this isn't 'the first time that the NDS has been used at Bunkamura galleries, so I'm assuming that Nintendo developed one standard 'exhibit' software for the museum to use, and all the museum has to do is send them the pictures and voiceovers.
Ya, just found, it was used in the NMWA in Ueno park as well. Hyperlink

Datschge

Linkup said:
Intelligent Systems doesn't usually deal with custom software like this right?
Intelligent Systems always has been doing plenty development tools for Nintendo besides doing games, so likely they were responsible for the framework of these kind of software.

Top Bottom